Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

New (to me) bike

Instead of a regular gear setup it has a CVT, so it's stepless. Instead of numbers on the selector there's this guy

https://i.imgur.com/eDgUF5l.gifv

I had it in my loungeroom giving it a good clean, seeing what needed fixing/lubing, listening to some music, just getting lost in the process and then I though "Oh ok, I understand bike guys now".

Will this be the start of a slippery slope?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007
A decent ice cream maker. I live on a failing dairy farm and want to give artisan gelato a go.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Megabound posted:

New (to me) bike

Instead of a regular gear setup it has a CVT, so it's stepless. Instead of numbers on the selector there's this guy

I had it in my loungeroom giving it a good clean, seeing what needed fixing/lubing, listening to some music, just getting lost in the process and then I though "Oh ok, I understand bike guys now".

This is super cool, tell me more!

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Sportman posted:

I agree, that's a really cool interface.

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Gates carbon?

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Megabound posted:

New (to me) bike

When you bring home the 2nd bike is when it starts.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
What's the gear range % on that thing?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Jefinabox posted:

A decent ice cream maker. I live on a failing dairy farm and want to give artisan gelato a go.

How much does it cost and what kind of quantities can it make? IANADF but just curious. Also, good luck!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I didn't even know they had that for bikes, that's sick.

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007

Fire Safety Doug posted:

How much does it cost and what kind of quantities can it make? IANADF but just curious. Also, good luck!

Thank you! It's my family's farm, my idea is to get something up and running then leave it to them, small scale enough that they can manage it in near retirement.

It costs around £1000 and can make 1.5kg in about 15 minutes. I'll be making small batches to start with. I'm quite passionate about gelato and quality, I may even make a thread on here somewhere

Kidney Stone
Dec 28, 2008

The worst pain ever!

Bottom Liner posted:

What's the gear range % on that thing?

I guess it's a Nuvinci 380, so it'll be 380% or roughly the equivalent of a 11 speed.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Sportman posted:

Kidney Stone posted:

I guess it's a Nuvinci 380, so it'll be 380% or roughly the equivalent of a 11 speed.

It is a NuVinci 360, I'll let this video explain how it works cause I'd have a hard time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVPjhmTThPo

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
God drat it, now I have to rewatch that old 1937 video about how a rear differential works.

e: Oh yeah that's the good stuff.

Aramek has a new favorite as of 21:24 on Sep 7, 2019

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Once you're done there I recommend the US Navy Mechanical Fire Control Computer videos for more cool mechanics.

Megabound has a new favorite as of 00:57 on Sep 8, 2019

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
And don't forget to refresh your retro encabulator knowledge

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Seiko SNE039. Picked it up for a few bucks. It belonged to a guy who passed away a couple weeks ago. Not sure if thats creepy or not. But I love solar poo poo. Has a 10 day power reserve and a low power warning.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Two new light switches:

And I returned the subcompact drill/driver set for this 4 piece kit for not too much more:

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

Jefinabox posted:

Thank you! It's my family's farm, my idea is to get something up and running then leave it to them, small scale enough that they can manage it in near retirement.

It costs around £1000 and can make 1.5kg in about 15 minutes. I'll be making small batches to start with. I'm quite passionate about gelato and quality, I may even make a thread on here somewhere

Why don't you! Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Manilla from the 18th century:

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Alhazred posted:

Manilla from the 18th century:

drat that is cool... are you getting these from coin shows, that one goon who sells coins, or somewhere else?

Coffee And Pie posted:

Decided I was going to Dunkin Donuts too much so I got that $9 Ozark Trail mug that's supposed to be a good alternative to the Yeti everyone loves

Inzombiac posted:

I'm a poor person but I like making cocktails at home so I bought the basic tools to do so.
Making whiskey sours is piss-easy and always delicious.

I excluded simple syrup in favor of a honey whiskey and ended up liking it a lot. I've purchased plenty of flavored whiskeys before and they run the range between "worse than cough medicine" to "hot drat I am drinking this every night.

For any whiskey snobs about to shop shame me:
I literally do not care about your opinions.

Hell yeah—Also honey whiskey on the rocks is just great all on its own! That’s my go-to beach drink.

I don’t know what their distribution is outside the area, but if you’re ever around Durango Colorado there’s an awesome little farm called Honey House that has a distillery:

https://honeyhousedistillery.com/

They have hands down the best drat honey whiskey I’ve ever had, everything else tastes artificial and syrupy by comparison. Next time I see it for sale or am in the area I am stocking up as much as I can. They just nailed everything about it!

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

This is probably confirmation bias, but I'm really taking a shine to this new keyboard. Typing on it is such a nice experience. I don't know "gaming" is the whole raison behind these things, I played a little CS-GO with it and that game is all mouse anyway. I'd say it was worth it, especially on cashback. Maybe brown switches would have been a better idea if feel was my goal but whatever.

ChocNitty posted:

Seiko SNE039. Picked it up for a few bucks. It belonged to a guy who passed away a couple weeks ago. Not sure if thats creepy or not. But I love solar poo poo. Has a 10 day power reserve and a low power warning.

Nice! Don't feel bad. He can't take it with him and at least it found a new home and will get use. I kind of want to cop a Citizen ecodrive watch too, but I should probably get new dress shoes and perhaps a new suit first.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

OSU_Matthew posted:

drat that is cool... are you getting these from coin shows, that one goon who sells coins, or somewhere else?

Somewhere else. A norwegian coin store.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Alhazred posted:

Somewhere else. A norwegian coin store.

Only tangentially related to Norway but it's still amazing that these:

were used in the 17th and 18th centuries :eyepop:

e: You can't really appreciate it until you've seen one in a museum.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Coffee And Pie posted:

Decided I was going to Dunkin Donuts too much so I got that $9 Ozark Trail mug that's supposed to be a good alternative to the Yeti everyone loves

I'm just gonna take this opportunity to shill for Joeveo again. You can have a problem with their lids, or not like the sleeves, but they're still IMO the best travel mug there is, for the simple fact that they near-instantly cool your hot beverage to a great drinkable temp, and then keep it that temp for ages. Not just vacuum-insulated, they use a waxy phase-change material in the mug walls to store the thermal energy. Yeah, $40 ain't $9, but man they work great at keeping your stuff hot for a long time.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

The Prong Song posted:

I'm just gonna take this opportunity to shill for Joeveo again. You can have a problem with their lids, or not like the sleeves, but they're still IMO the best travel mug there is, for the simple fact that they near-instantly cool your hot beverage to a great drinkable temp, and then keep it that temp for ages. Not just vacuum-insulated, they use a waxy phase-change material in the mug walls to store the thermal energy. Yeah, $40 ain't $9, but man they work great at keeping your stuff hot for a long time.

Cool idea, but 560$ a mug is too rich for my blood

https://joeveo.com/collections/our-very-special-mugs/products/temperfect-javabliss-16-travel-mug-engraved-titania

:eyepop:

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I stand by my Zojirushi.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
The Ozark Trail mug suits my needs exactly. I drank my coffee today over about 4 hours and it was the ideal temp the whole time.

mystes
May 31, 2006

The Zojirushi ones without the PTFE lining are good if you need it to be sealed and stay hot for a really long time (the ones with the lining get gross after a while).

The Ozark trail mugs/cups are cheap, easy to clean, and nice if you just want to keep your coffee hot for an hour while you drink it slowly.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I wanted to join in on thermos chat so I went to Amazon to see if the excellent one I keep at work was in my orders list.

It was!

But... the product photos have... changed... :black101:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Coffee And Pie posted:

The Ozark Trail mug suits my needs exactly. I drank my coffee today over about 4 hours and it was the ideal temp the whole time.

I drink my coffee fresh from a coffee cup whenever I like because I'm an adult and have a job.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Jerry Cotton posted:

I drink my coffee fresh from a coffee cup whenever I like because I'm an adult and have a job.

I bring my coffee to work because the coffee here has gone downhill and I refuse to keep loving with the keurig

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I drink coffee in a big bed with my wife.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Replace or supplement "job" with "caffeine addiction" and that statement is spot-on.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Dick Trauma posted:

I wanted to join in on thermos chat so I went to Amazon to see if the excellent one I keep at work was in my orders list.

It was!

But... the product photos have... changed... :black101:

This "hijacking" happens a lot on Amazon and they have no idea how to fix it.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/8/29/20837359/amazon-basics-fake-sellers-imposters-third-party-marketplace

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Crossposting from the PYF Thrift thread, I went to Goodwill and found Monica’s pickle jar from Friends...I can’t find a single place selling this exact one, I’ll have to look it over when I get home tonight and see if I can identify the manufacturer

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Rolo posted:

I drink coffee in a big bed with my wife.

Me too it's cosy with the three of us :mmmhmm:

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

A hat, from the Nike x Stranger Things collection.

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Then buy the normal $42 dollar one, not the special limited edition titanium dioxide coated one with custom engraving?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

The Prong Song posted:

Then buy the normal $42 dollar one, not the special limited edition titanium dioxide coated one with custom engraving?

Wooooosh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I got a knockoff yeti as a gift last Christmas and I love it. Comes in clutch in the summer keeping the ice water cold even overnight, and in the winter kept my tea piping hot. I used to use my nalgenes heavily but I like the yeti better because a stainless steel cup cleans better than HDPE bottles and the rim doesn't get all nasty and stinky.

I don't even have the lid on most of the time

Fire Safety Doug posted:

A hat, from the Nike x Stranger Things collection.

This is kind of sweet even though I'm not really that crazy about ST.

Although as of this last season aren't the entire main cast not even attending the high school? The younger kids haven't made it to HS yet and the older ones graduated.