Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

OwlFancier posted:

In my defence that one was only because my mum had the DVD so I watched it cos it was there. Terminator 3 is a fairly dull film. It does, however, have a large proportion of its runtime devoted to watching arnold schwartzenegger getting punched through buildings.

I liked the bit where he dug up the grave and the grave was full of guns and he shot the guns

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

I feel like I've seen enough pieces of commando, rambo, predator, and tropic thunder to more or less guess how terminator goes.

Terminator 2 is a tearjerker

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Wachter posted:

I liked the bit where he dug up the grave and the grave was full of guns and he shot the guns

The way he shot the guns was good, op

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

My only memory of terminator 3 is basically a really extended shot of arnold getting chokeslammed through sequential walls with the sense that this occured for about one and a half hours.

Like a looping gif of him just going through wall after wall.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

My only memory of terminator 3 is basically a really extended shot of arnold getting chokeslammed through sequential walls with the sense that this occured for about one and a half hours.

Like a looping gif of him just going through wall after wall.

It's really hard to overstate just how lovely T3 was compared to the first 2. Like, a worse drop in quality than Return of the Jedi>Phantom Menace.

Although you might not know what that is either...

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Total Meatlove posted:

Man of Steel is brilliant and Snyder deserved more for it than nerd crying about it.
Hell yeah. Batman VS Superman is awesome too. I pretty much like all of his movies actually.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I have in fact seen the star wars films in order of production, and the original series is better. I also saw the originals I think with the CGI jabba but without most of the other changes.

It was weird when hayden christensen showed up in my dvd version.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
gently caress Tom Watson.
edit:
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1171529365848379393
https://twitter.com/MsHelicat/status/1171529484538793986

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

josh04 posted:

The genre of youtube-video-dunk is kinda illiterate, especially when talking about reasons why something is "bad". It's kinda like liberal politics in a sense, based on assembling a collection of "rules" about filmmaking as they appear to have played out in retrospect and then getting really mad at anything that breaks them, without regard to material reality.

I have to recommend FilmJoy. It's a really positive channel focused on highlighting the great things in films, and very rarely gets negative or talks about broken rules or mistakes.

Lindsay Ellis is the other obvious one. Far more negative but usually for ideological reasons rather than film school reasons.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Every Frame a Painting is a good channel and I've been watching a lot of their stuff.

Total Meatlove posted:

Man of Steel is brilliant and Snyder deserved more for it than nerd crying about it.
I like the music but then I like pretty much any film score by Hans Zimmer. Man is amazing at crescendos and the 'flight' theme is a particularly good example.

I think my favourite film is probably either Inception or the Breakfast Club, for completely different reasons. Yes I am an agonising pleb.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
https://twitter.com/AdamBienkov/status/1171513909842366464

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
tom watson sucks so loving much

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Jose posted:

tom watson sucks so loving much
I saw an article earlier saying his local party is deselecting him, please say this is true.

E: this article:

https://labourheartlands.com/tom-watson-facing-trigger-ballot-deselection-meeting/

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Every Frame a Painting is a good channel and I've been watching a lot of their stuff.

EFAP died sadly.

So yeah. Lindsay Ellis and Movies with Mikey are premium, EFAP is short but excellent, Honest Trailers is the last of the snark-channels I'll watch because they still give things more or less a fair shake, Strucci Movies is recommended by PhilosophyTube but I've not had a chance to look at it much.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

I saw an article earlier saying his local party is deselecting him, please say this is true.

Fingats fukken crossed.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

So there's no possibility that we can put movie chat aside for a bit to talk about the bits here:

Such fine bits as:

The article above posted:

Boris Johnson has secretly ordered the Cabinet Office to turn the government’s public internet service into a platform for “targeted and personalised information” to be gathered in the run-up to Brexit, BuzzFeed News has learned.

In a move that has alarmed Whitehall officials, the prime minister has instructed departments to share data they collect about usage of the GOV.UK portal so that it can feed into preparations for leaving the European Union at the end of next month.

Dominic Cummings, the prime minister’s chief adviser, emailed senior officials instructing them to make sure that ministers, department heads, and political aides know that the instruction is “TOP PRIORITY”, according to leaked government documents.

In a personal minute on Aug. 19 to members of the Cabinet’s EU exit operations (“XO”) committee, which is responsible for no-deal preparations, Johnson said centralised data was also necessary to accelerate his ambitions for a digital revolution in public services. The committee includes chancellor Sajid Javid, home secretary Priti Patel, and the minister responsible for no-deal planning, Michael Gove.

“I expect everyone to act immediately to execute the above actions,” Johnson wrote. Any delays were to be reported to his office right away.
That last bit, for some reason, makes it seem like people who're the cause of delay will be taken about back and shot, but there's more in the article.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just recorded episode 3 of Podcasting With Praxis :toot:

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

jaete posted:

When I googled "cope divided world divided class" (without quotes), the first page had a link to a pdf of what looked like the full book. It's funny how this is like the sixth book that happens with, sometimes google does that. Uh obviously, don't download any of those pdfs or anything, just saying it's funny. You wouldn't download a car :ninja:
i hope nobody downloads that very good book and reads it, informing themselves of a strand of leftist thought that doesn't get enough attention here, and purchases a copy if they can afford it and it's helped them :kiddo:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

so now that dear leader has been rehabilitated by the mainstream fascist neolib media i suppose you all have to turn against him XD
Eh, the Corbyn leadership has largely been a push for straightforward reformist social democracy, nothing particularly historically-exciting or radical unless you compare it to what the Conservatives are offering (which is at best managed decline and at worst hellish). It's been a display of the British media class's utterly dismal condition that they haven't been able to recognize it as a viable alternative, instead preferring to poo poo their britches and wail. It definitely has weak spots, though, and they're worth criticizing.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Tbh any plan which involves the government rapidly retooling GOV.UK is probably a non-starter just on that basis.

Steve2911 posted:

I have to recommend FilmJoy. It's a really positive channel focused on highlighting the great things in films, and very rarely gets negative or talks about broken rules or mistakes.

Lindsay Ellis is the other obvious one. Far more negative but usually for ideological reasons rather than film school reasons.

Yeah, I don't mind Lindsay Ellis, though I'm avoiding the Hobbit ones. I don't actively dislike watching any of the youtube critics, I'm just coming to the conclusion that there's no solid ground beneath the kind of thinking about movies that they teach.

Just gonna watch Ways of Seeing and Pervert's Guide to Cinema on loop for the next fifty years.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

thespaceinvader posted:

EFAP died sadly.
Oh poo poo. There's one called Behind the Curtain that seems similar.

thespaceinvader posted:

Fingats fukken crossed.
Apparently his CLP is voting tonight to trigger the deselection process.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
the Lindsey Elliot hobbit eps are some of my personal faves

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

josh04 posted:

Yeah, I don't mind Lindsay Ellis, though I'm avoiding the Hobbit ones.

Why? I thought they were brilliant.
She goes more into how Warner Brothers hosed things up than the movie itself

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CoolCab posted:

Yeah anyone with a passing interest should watch them, if just for the examination on how badly Peter Jackson hosed New Zealand's film industry workers over.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem

happyhippy posted:

Why? I thought they were brilliant.
She goes more into how Warner Brothers hosed things up than the movie itself

Steve2911 posted:

Yeah anyone with a passing interest should watch them, if just for the examination on how badly Peter Jackson hosed New Zealand's film industry workers over.

hell yeah

I haven’t watched her entire back catalog - I think she used to be the nostalgia chick? but the hobbit vids are where she gets the most political. good stuff.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

D. Ebdrup posted:

So there's no possibility that we can put movie chat aside for a bit to talk about the bits here:

Such fine bits as:

That last bit, for some reason, makes it seem like people who're the cause of delay will be taken about back and shot, but there's more in the article.

rapidly retooling a software system? accelerated implementation plan? what could possibly go wrong with this, I ask, as I shovel data straight into my gaping hole

also the whole thing about how the data is anonymous, so it can't possibly be used to identify you. hmm. wonder if it's combined with browser data at all.

all done behind closed doors, too. wonderful.

something about digital revolution meaning "sit and spin", idk

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

CoolCab posted:

Yeah, the hobbit ones are amazing. They're long and indulgent and the 'haha 3 parts' thing is goofy, but they go a lot into the political economics of the who;e shitfest, they're really pretty interesting and disturbing from that perspective.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

CoolCab posted:

hell yeah

I haven’t watched her entire back catalog - I think she used to be the nostalgia chick? but the hobbit vids are where she gets the most political. good stuff.

The Nostalgia Chick is something she very much regrets and is rather ashamed of now. Although they're still archived on youtube I wouldn't recommend going back to any of them.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

Captain Fargle posted:

The Nostalgia Chick is something she very much regrets and is rather ashamed of now. Although they're still archived on youtube I wouldn't recommend going back to any of them.

Some of them are amusing but they are not insightful or good for the most part.

They were very clearly produced under different circumstances with a very different goal in mind.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

CoolCab posted:

hell yeah

She deleted all the nostalgia chick stuff (well she said it would go on another channel because people would upload it anyway so she might as well get paid) but that was more stuff she did for another channel, where Nostalgia Dude wanted a female equivalent of himself to talk about Care Bears and poo poo. She gradually started doing more film criticism like what she got a degree in and ended up splitting and doing her own thing

She did a good one of why Game of Thrones ended bad and made no sense too it's centrism

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

josh04 posted:

The genre of youtube-video-dunk is kinda illiterate, especially when talking about reasons why something is "bad". It's kinda like liberal politics in a sense, based on assembling a collection of "rules" about filmmaking as they appear to have played out in retrospect and then getting really mad at anything that breaks them, without regard to material reality.

Like the discussion about Sherlock yesterday, you've had "Why is Sherlock bad" explained to you in a funny, engaging way that followed some sort of internal logic, but when you go to use it in anger you're suddenly in the position of claiming that the show was self-evidently terrible and never made any sense and that's obvious to any onlooker, and so 10 million+ people, uh, accidentally watched it consistently for five years.

I mean lots of people like terrible poo poo, people in this very thread are claiming to enjoy Zach Snyder movies after all.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Total Meatlove posted:

The chances of me ever willingly watching another Zach Snyder film again are about the same as of reading an Ayn Rand novel. Coincidentally, Snyder is very eager to make a film version (well, another one) of one of her books.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

baka kaba posted:

She deleted all the nostalgia chick stuff (well she said it would go on another channel because people would upload it anyway so she might as well get paid) but that was more stuff she did for another channel, where Nostalgia Dude wanted a female equivalent of himself to talk about Care Bears and poo poo. She gradually started doing more film criticism like what she got a degree in and ended up splitting and doing her own thing

She did a good one of why Game of Thrones ended bad and made no sense too it's centrism

The Nostalgia Critic was so loving bad. I can't believe how popular he got doing Daffy Duck impressions. I hope even more dirt comes out about his lovely little enterprise.

wocobob
Jan 7, 2014

damages enemies w/ corn
https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1171539344395554822

big yikes

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Feinne posted:

I mean lots of people like terrible poo poo, people in this very thread are claiming to enjoy Zach Snyder movies after all.

That's very easily explained - he makes excellent films. Nothing would make me happier than settling into a warm cinema seat to watch Zack Snyder's Sexy Fountainhead.

ThanosWasRight
May 12, 2019

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
They should make a futuristic Tolkien series. Lord of the Rings 40k.

Kaveman
Jul 25, 2009

NEVER!!!

He's been quiet for weeks and weeks as Corbyn has successfully got the opposition parties behind him and this prick pipes up now with that declaration that is not the party line.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Tricky wording, "disagree" might also mean "brexit should be cancelled" or even "brexit should be delayed by longer than 3 months"

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Brexit?
Disagree.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

I didn't like the Snyder-DC movies when I saw them, but I've spent more time reading about them, thinking about them, and arguing about them on the internet than all the Marvel movies combined. There's at least some visual style there, some dramatic weight, even if they don't quite work (or in the case of BvS, even if they pause the movie so Wonder Woman can sit down and watch trailers for the rest of the DCU). As fun as I've found the MCU, they've made the same movie 22 times now, and Snyder's stuff is actually stimulating.

Arrival pissed me the gently caress off though. It has that Westworld thing going on, where it spends too much time telling you its smart and repeating "deep" questions at you, and not enough time answering them. Yeah, I think there is some meaning in contemplating if you would live your life the same way if you knew it would result in tragedy but the film only introduces that in the last ten minutes, and doesn't explore it. It just gives you a question, gives you Amy Adams' answer, roll credits. Which is a shame, because it's a really well made, well acted, beautiful and evocative piece of sci-fi. It's the exact kind of film I want people to make more of, it's just lacking in teeth. I put it alongside Interstellar - I merely like the film, but I love that it exists.

The heptapod language also doesn't work how they say it works. "oh it can't be written linearly, you have to encapsulate all the meaning at once" five minutes before we see Amy Adams writing it linearly.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

josh04 posted:

That's very easily explained - he makes excellent films. Nothing would make me happier than settling into a warm cinema seat to watch Zack Snyder's Sexy Fountainhead.

I will give him that he's able to craft some nice visuals, raising any given one of his films to 'slightly more watchable than Troll 2'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,

I'll be back

D. Ebdrup posted:

Such fine bits as:

Actually, something occurs to me - there's a book called Weapons of Math Destruction by Cathy O'Neil which talks about the damage that can be caused by inappropriate use of algorithms or bad design. Three things required for a WMD as she describes them: opacity, damage potential, scale. Applying that to this project:

Opacity: done behind closed doors, we're unlikely to have access to precisely what it does or how it does it
Damage potential: depends what it's being used for, which is itself hidden at the moment
Scale: countrywide

and add this to a project being done effectively in crunch. So there will be problems with it, it's going to be deployed without thorough testing, and we won't be able to get at the guts to see precisely why it's made stupid decisions. And it'll probably get used to justify various government decisions (national or local), again with no way to see why a thing has or hasn't been done, or how to change the data fed into it to get the needed result, and anything done with it will be justified by "algorithm says so". I am not optimistic.