Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
Scots Law.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
The lib Dems going full article 50 revocation is a hell of a lot better than when Vince cable said it should be a remain Vs no deal referendum

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
This is a good thread as to why this succeeded in Scots law where it failed in English/Welsh law https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1171717055911014400

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RockyB posted:

It's a vague attempt to dissociate 'Boris' the lovable scamp media persona exemplified by HIGNFY and media taint licking from 'Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson', our current bumbling if not sinisterly incompetent prime minister.

I wouldn't call it vague. Like Gideon George Osborne, Boris uses his more ordinary sounding names to encourage familiarity and make people overlook the fact that he's a toff bastard who burned a £20 in front of a homeless person so he could smash up restaurants and get his dad to pay the repairs and whose closest connection with the proletariat is to fail to tip his barista. It's not at all like calling Trump "Drumpf" to make him sound stupid.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Barry Foster posted:

So if Bercow and the opposition just bundle back into Parliament and get back to business, would that be kosher?
Not as long as it contains both Lamb and Miwk.

Coleslaw.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

sebzilla posted:

Just give it to the sergeant-at-arms and point him in the direction of Edinburgh. Nobody's getting it off him.

Unfortunately the big guy retired end of July. Not sure who it is now.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Guavanaut posted:

Not as long as it contains both Lamb and Miwk.

Coleslaw.

Finely chopped farage.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The court found that the PM lied to the Queen. That is... that has to be unprecedented?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Junior G-man posted:

The Scots have always been enemies of the people.

IIRC if every Scot who voted brexit had voted remain instead remain would have won.

Junior G-man
Sep 15, 2004

Wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma

https://twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1171721092500791296?s=20

Lying to the Maj now, eh Boris?

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Tsaedje posted:

The court found that the PM lied to the Queen. That is... that has to be unprecedented?

No. Theresa May also lied claiming she had the DUP in her pocket before she did.

DaWolfey
Oct 25, 2003

College Slice
Seems to me that England needs to take back control from the United Kingdom to regain its sovereignty.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Carborundum posted:

It's a great movie, but it has some terrible politics, like all Nolan's films.
Funny you should mention that, I was watching a video about the Joker (Nolan / Ledger) and all of the soundbites from Nolan are basically "anarchy scares me" and I don't know if it's his accent but it really has an overall air of being horrified at the idea of disturbing the status quo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqlhU6hE14A

I do want to see Interstellar though because it has Hans Zimmer's best crescendo that isn't Time from Inception:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAH3VisDQpo

Also I was laughing at a bus the other day because I noticed Brad Pitt has decided to do his own Sexy Man is Alone and Sad in Space the movie.

namesake posted:

I want some sort of Rat Race scenario now where speakers and MPs are all legging it to the House.

To do what I dunno but they'll figure it out on the way.
WHY DIDN'T YOU GRAB THE MACE AND STOP BREXIT JERRIMY

Bobby Deluxe fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Sep 11, 2019

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Nuclear Spoon posted:

btw repeatedly calling johnson "de pfeffel" has identical energy to #theresistance types calling their president "drumpf"

counterpoint: Drump tried to own Trump by "well actually"ing the pronunciation of his name according to his hometown, referring to Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson by his full, pompous name is more to highlight the absurdity of this man of the people having that loving name

like, it's not meant to topple his power, more highlight that he is not, in fact, boris the loveable scamp

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

https://twitter.com/tristandross/status/1171722665503182848?s=19

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
The absolute melts on twitter are calling for Scotland to be booted out of the UK...

Yes... Yes!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

DaWolfey posted:

Seems to me that England needs to take back control from the United Kingdom to regain its sovereignty.
Y'all had your chance.
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/231563

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Unfortunately the big guy retired end of July. Not sure who it is now.

Kamal El-Hajj is still the serjeant-at-arms.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

What I love about this decision is that the queen still has no agency in the matter.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Tesseraction posted:

counterpoint: Drump tried to own Trump by "well actually"ing the pronunciation of his name according to his hometown, referring to Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson by his full, pompous name is more to highlight the absurdity of this man of the people having that loving name

like, it's not meant to topple his power, more highlight that he is not, in fact, boris the loveable scamp

Yeah, it's like saying Yaxley-Lennon instead of Tommy Robinson

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

No. Theresa May also lied claiming she had the DUP in her pocket before she did.

Yes but that hasn't been ruled as true by a court of law

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Tesseraction posted:

Kamal El-Hajj is still the serjeant-at-arms.

He's a pretty big guy.

For you.

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Stop pretending your lived experience and preferences are universal.

Why? Everybody else does.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Gasmask posted:

This seems meta.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

break the union, Johnson! you know you want to!

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Funny you should mention that, I was watching a video about the Joker (Nolan / Ledger) and all of the soundbites from Nolan are basically "anarchy scares me" and I don't know if it's his accent but it really has an overall air of being horrified at the idea of disturbing the status quo.
All the stuff in The Dark Knight Rises about the scary, baying underclasses rising up and dragging the innocent rich from their brownstones was pretty telling.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.
Historically Westminster has always gave a poo poo about what Scottish law says right....

right?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ash Crimson posted:

The absolute melts on twitter are calling for Scotland to be booted out of the UK...

Yes... Yes!

do you mean gammons

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Jose posted:

The lib Dems going full article 50 revocation is a hell of a lot better than when Vince cable said it should be a remain Vs no deal referendum

revocation without a second referendum is stupid cause any pro-brexit gov that ever got into power could just reinvoke

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Gasmask posted:

Do solipsists refute this because there is no everybody else, or believe this because they themselves are universal?

Guavanaut posted:

This seems meta.

:golfclap:

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
So surely the Supreme Court must take into account the Scottish ruling and not just issue a carbon-copy smack down as the English court did previously?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

CyberPingu posted:

Historically Westminster has always gave a poo poo about what Scottish law says right....

right?
That's why the best option is Parliament sitting in Scotland. Not sure where they'd assemble though.

Edinburgh already has a Parliament building but I'm not sure they'd share. Glasgow would be the obvious other option but I'm not sure what buildings there are with a lot of seats that cater to Unionists other than Ibrox.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Vlex posted:

Arrival owned, fight me IRL in a parking lot of your choice.

:agreed:

Some bad 'pinions itt

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Miftan posted:

They do have that, though I suppose 'sellable' is subjective. Its also been pointing out about a million times itt and you keep ignoring it.

I don’t ignore it; I keep pointing and laughing at the people who say ‘go back to Brussels and have more talks and then when we see what that deal is like, then we can discuss about whether to support it in a referendum’ is something other than an electoral suicide note.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

do you mean gammons

Yes... Yes!

Nuclear Spoon
Aug 18, 2010

I want to cry out
but I don’t scream and I don’t shout
And I feel so proud
to be alive
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1171728144912519168

i have no idea how based in reality this is but it is very very funny

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

But that didn't lead to her actually doing anything (other than cancelling the Garter Ceremony).

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Guavanaut posted:

That's why the best option is Parliament sitting in Scotland. Not sure where they'd assemble though.

Edinburgh already has a Parliament building but I'm not sure they'd share. Glasgow would be the obvious other option but I'm not sure what buildings there are with a lot of seats that cater to Unionists other than Ibrox.

Hot take: move all politicians to the Glasgow School of Art.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

radmonger posted:

I don’t ignore it; I keep pointing and laughing at the people who say ‘go back to Brussels and have more talks and then when we see what that deal is like, then we can discuss about whether to support it in a referendum’ is something other than an electoral suicide note.
That depends entirely on how you phrase it.

"May got a bad deal, Johnson can't get a deal, and No Deal is disastrous for the country. We will try to get a good deal, because we will drop May's dangerous red lines that stopped the country from getting a good deal." isn't far off the truth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Guavanaut posted:

Glasgow would be the obvious other option but I'm not sure what buildings there are with a lot of seats that cater to Unionists other than Ibrox.
:hmmyes: