Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

As Nero Danced posted:

half a gigahorse

500 million horsepower?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

KillHour posted:

500 million horsepower?
Gigahorse.

Worth 500 million men, at the very least.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

This jewel moved into my neighborhood a few months ago. I've seen it while out walking the dog, at one of the new-construction homes in our neighborhood:

Was once clearly a fairly nice custom, but has gotten a bit ragged over the years since. I've never seen that front end before. I initially thought it would be one of the common Monte Carlo SS-style front ends, but saw it was based more on the Baretta or something when I actually got around to the front.
Not that the taillights are recessed behind fan-shaped cutouts in the rear rolled pan. The front side markers are done the same way, as is the third brake light. It has nice leather bucket seats, but the headliner and the plastic pillar trim ahs self-destructed. He's got that nice Corvette, too, but does actually drive the Elky from time to time, so I give him props for that.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Fifty Three posted:

Gigahorse.

:doh:

I'm addled from all the flying.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Uh, so I've just found out about the EB110 prototype which is in almost* every way a much cooler looking car.

cancel the truck nut trademarks – prior art :popeye:

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Fifty Three posted:

Gigahorse.

quote:

The Gigahorse is powered by two Chevrolet 502Cid (502Hp) Big Block V8 crate motors with fabricated manifolds and functioning 8/71 superchargers. Both engines are connected through a custom gearbox. Anthony Natoli of Natoli Engineering designed the straight cut gear system joining the two engines. The gearbox adapter was then modeled by the movie's art director Jacinta Leong[4] in AutoCAD, all the components were waterjet cut, assembled and originally connected to a Turbo 400 automatic transmission. This transmission had to be rebuilt after each day of filming by the film's main mechanic - Mark McKinley. Because of this inconvenience the Turbo 400 was eventually replaced with Allison automatic truck transmission. The engine setup is fully functional generating approximately 1200 horse power. The vehicle also has a non functioning set of turbochargers with their rotors removed and feeding into superchargers. Originally the two engines were supposed to be dummy motors made of fiberglass with a single real engine hidden inside, but the production designer - Colin Gibson provided additional budget which allowed to equip the Gigahorse with an actual working engine setup.

I mean, nobody would have known, or probably cared that the two big blocks were dummy engines, but good job going above and beyond.

Bass Ackwards
Nov 14, 2003

Anything can be used as a hammer if you try hard enough.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Uh, so I've just found out about the EB110 prototype which is in almost* every way a much cooler looking car.

Literally thought “that thing looks like peak Marcello Gandini.”

Well whaddya know...

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

n0tqu1tesane posted:

I mean, nobody would have known, or probably cared that the two big blocks were dummy engines, but good job going above and beyond.

A th400 had to be rebuilt every day? Can't those things (when properly built I guess) handle literally thousands of HP?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I think its the two engines plus a shitload of weight.

boxen
Feb 20, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I think its the two engines plus a shitload of weight.

Also, being driven fairly hard, and having huge tires. Not so much the horsepower, but the torque. That horsepower was also spinning some fuckoff huge tires.

You MIGHT be able to get a TH400 or something to hold that much power, but it's going to be cheaper and less fussy to just use a truck transmission.

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

I bet that there are some rad harmonics on the transmission input shaft and all of its guts really due to the twin 502's as well.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

This gives me all sorts of bad ideas

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Elvis (the hot rod with the GMC Twin-Six V12) originally had a functioning Twin-Six in it, but they apparently blew it up, and Twin-Sixes being difficult to find they shoved in a small-block Chevy under a fiberglass replica of the Twin-Six. I noticed that in closer still pictures - you can see the exhaust manifolds coming out wrong.

(note the SBC header near the rear of the engine, under the Twin-Six exhaust)

Nonetheless, I'm impressed that they tried to actually use the Twin-Six.
On top of that, Elvis was a painted, finished hot rod before the Mad Max crew got a hold of it. The builder stripped all the good bits off (since it was a cherry '32 Ford 3-window), and put on a fiberglass body before he let them have it.
According to the Mad Max Wiki, they broke the crank in the 12 while trying to record sound from it, and pushed it too hard. Kudos to them trying to get an authentic noise, I guess.

I was disappointed to learn that the second Tatra V8 in the War Rig(s) is a fake, though the front one on the hero vehicle is an upgraded racing version to cope with the trailers and rough terrain at speed. If the wiki article is to be believed.

Powershift posted:

This gives me all sorts of bad ideas

A special school, apparently.

evobatman
Jul 30, 2006

it means nothing, but says everything!
Pillbug
This blender can liquefy a school child to a homogeneous concentrate in less than 30 seconds.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

metaxus posted:

Literally thought “that thing looks like peak Marcello Gandini.”

Well whaddya know...

Giampaolo then added those awful headlights and the lovely little grille when he did the final design. Weak.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iufZJgQuuc8

speakers up to 11.

e: jesus gently caress the driveshaft :stare:

The Prong Song
Sep 7, 2002

WHITE
DRIVES
MATTER

Powershift posted:

...e: jesus gently caress the driveshaft :stare:
No seatbelt. Driveshaft 3" to your right. Jeans and bare arms. Hell-for-leather through the woods. This is automotive insanity.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hey, it's just a test run. You know you'd do it, too.

edit: Grind Hard Plumbing is fun to watch, BTW. The Barbie Mustang and Jeep are awesome. They also built a BMW 3-series ute for that rally for taking inappropriate vehicles off road. I forget the name.

edit again: Gambler 500!

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Sep 11, 2019

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

"Hey, it's just a test run. You know you'd do it, too." ~one armed jimmy

If you didn't sleep in one of these growing up, did your parents even love you?

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Grind Hard is insane, that car is running on a supercharged snowmobile engine, because why not?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The poor pup lost his god drat 10mm socket :allears:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or maybe the owner did and he bred that dog to sniff out 10mm's.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

xzzy posted:

Wait.....

can chihuahuas be trained?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Powershift posted:

Wait.....

can chihuahuas be trained?
I’m currently consuming information at a rather voracious pace while waiting for our purebred puppy to be delivered, and I can say from my current stores of info two things:

1) Yes.
2) Ew, why a rat Chihuahua?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Krakkles posted:

I’m currently consuming information at a rather voracious pace while waiting for our purebred puppy to be delivered, and I can say from my current stores of info two things:

1) Yes.

Because, statistically, 10mms are most likely to fall into small pockets in the engine bay that neither my hand nor a tibetan mastiff could fit into, but a chihuahua most definitely could.

Maybe we can breed a corgie with a hamster to make a socket retriever.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Krakkles posted:

1) Yes.

Rats are I think more trainable, and way more able to get into tighter places.

Oh no I think I accidentally made a Gadget

McTinkerson
Jul 5, 2007

Dreaming of Shock Diamonds

Swedish Vallhund would be the ideal 10mm retrieval breed.

Edit: spelling

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Hey hey hey, don't neglect aquatic and semi-aquatic animals. You've got very intelligent animals there, they could run a whole shop. Just a small pack of otters in overalls squeaking around arguing with each other while an octopus does all the work.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Powershift posted:

"Hey, it's just a test run. You know you'd do it, too." ~one armed jimmy

If you didn't sleep in one of these growing up, did your parents even love you?

Almost right. Needs to be a '67-'72 C-10.

Wasabi the J posted:

Rats are I think more trainable, and way more able to get into tighter places.

Oh no I think I accidentally made a Gadget

Ha ha, nerd!
Wait, I know who you're talking about , too. Agh, I'm a nerd! I knew that a long time ago.

Well, it looked like a boat before, too, so...

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

madeintaipei posted:

Hey hey hey, don't neglect aquatic and semi-aquatic animals. You've got very intelligent animals there, they could run a whole shop. Just a small pack of otters in overalls squeaking around arguing with each other while an octopus does all the work.

Speaking of otters getting you stuff... if you don't think this is utterly adorable in every way then I question if you're even alive.

https://youtu.be/SyyBx6-VMQg

Olympic Mathlete fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Sep 12, 2019

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Powershift posted:

Because, statistically, 10mms are most likely to fall into small pockets in the engine bay that neither my hand nor a tibetan mastiff could fit into, but a chihuahua most definitely could.

Maybe we can breed a corgie with a hamster to make a socket retriever.

I think you'd be better off training a ferret to get sockets from most modern engine bays

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

You Am I posted:

I think you'd be better off training a ferret to get sockets from most modern engine bays

They'd likely fall asleep somewhere leaving you with a lost 10mm and comatose sleeping ferret curled up somewhere under your hood. I was re-doing my bathroom once and took the side panel off the bath and failed to properly close the bathroom door before letting my two out. It had to be the albino one that went in there and she ended up between floors scratting about exploring for a couple of hours. She eventually emerged when it was dinner time and she was now grey, covered in fluff and looking very pleased with herself. We used to find them asleep in drawers, under beds, in cupboards, in the washing basket, under rugs... :3:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

xzzy posted:

Good thing it'll be able to find your dick then

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Speaking of otters getting you stuff... if you don't think this is utterly adorable in every way then I question if you're even alive.

https://youtu.be/SyyBx6-VMQg

Good to know I'm not totally dead inside. That's cute as hell.

mobby_6kl posted:

Good thing it'll be able to find your dick then

:drat:

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

McTinkerson posted:

Swedish Vallhund would be the ideal 10mm retrieval breed.

Edit: spelling

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

You Am I posted:

I'd go the squirrel route, little fuckers were always building nests in my late grandpa's old cars in the garage

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Grind Hard is insane, that car is running on a supercharged snowmobile engine, because why not?

Powershift, Jun 4:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3890943&userid=158277#post495615335

Grind Hard july 9:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3z2E8hWHycE

I've photoshopped a jag like that, and discussed doing the lift numerous times too

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
800-Mile 1991 GMC Syclone

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1991-gmc-syclone-12/

gently caress

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Typhoon was cooler. :can:

But I'd still buy the gently caress out of that because it's so drat clean.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

Like a Grand National you can go to Home Depot with.