Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010

Alien Rope Burn posted:

This is a really bad place to be having this discussion, as others have pointed out. Everything is obviously still really raw and nothing is going to be resolved here. This is not where or how you're going to explain her actions, presuming that's what you're going for.

It's probably best to chill for awhile, wait until your friend gets home, and work out what the proper next step in dealing with this is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
Good morning! The thread is open again. Please try to keep things chill in here.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Cross-quotin':

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
I was just coming by to post that. A platform for people to organize firing unionizers is some pretty tone-deaf irony. I sent customer service a polite but very direct complaint to that effect. I still have a couple pending projects so I can't delete and walk, but it will be much easier to resist the upcoming Bones.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
This is extremely lovely for a variety of reasons which have been gone over in detail elsewhere. Firing people for trying to start a union is highly illegal but the legal enforcement surrounding this in the US are pretty toothless, Kickstarter knows they're doing wrong which is why the absolute pittance of a severance comes only if the fired employees sign NDAs, and on top of all this it puts a lot of creators in a bind because while other crowdfunding platforms exist none of them really have the cachet that Kickstarter does which means that anybody taking a principled stand is likely going to wind up unable to raise the funding they would otherwise be able to.

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer
Yeah the fact that creators will likely suffer for this is awful but Kickstarter absolutely can't be allowed to use them as a shield. They have some small pull with the company as well, since they are Kickstarter's product.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Kai Tave posted:

This is extremely lovely for a variety of reasons which have been gone over in detail elsewhere. Firing people for trying to start a union is highly illegal but the legal enforcement surrounding this in the US are pretty toothless, Kickstarter knows they're doing wrong which is why the absolute pittance of a severance comes only if the fired employees sign NDAs, and on top of all this it puts a lot of creators in a bind because while other crowdfunding platforms exist none of them really have the cachet that Kickstarter does which means that anybody taking a principled stand is likely going to wind up unable to raise the funding they would otherwise be able to.

Not just NDAs but non-disparagement as well.

https://twitter.com/ClarissaRedwine/status/1172167251623124997

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

occamsnailfile posted:

Yeah the fact that creators will likely suffer for this is awful but Kickstarter absolutely can't be allowed to use them as a shield. They have some small pull with the company as well, since they are Kickstarter's product.

Yeah no disagreement from me, and I would in fact love to see creators coming together to leverage that pull. Guess we'll see how it inevitably pans out.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Hopefully people will rally around this. Patreon had a very clear answer “we are ripping you off!” Scandal last year, hopefully the besides the scenes nature kick starter and the union aspect won’t make people turn away.
Imagine the drama to amp up considerably if critical role steps in.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Age of Uranus.

Sniggering about the name aside - the project owners are Italian and so probably didn't spot that - this (cancelled) project's pretty astonishing in terms of how the creators have convinced themselves that they're doing something stunningly artistically groundbreaking when they're pretty much just following the White Wolf playbook every step of the way.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Golden Bee posted:

Hopefully people will rally around this. Patreon had a very clear answer “we are ripping you off!” Scandal last year, hopefully the besides the scenes nature kick starter and the union aspect won’t make people turn away.
Imagine the drama to amp up considerably if critical role steps in.

The thing is, the lesson Patron took away from that is they need to be more gradual about phasing in the ripoff stuff. They basically enacted it anyway but they let all accounts created before a certain cutoff date have the grandfathered pay rates. (And it's clear that they'll find ways to incentivize people to switch to the shittier rates over time, or maybe flat out roll everyone onto it when they think they can get away with it down the road.)

Critical Role has a very successful kickstarter for an animated special (#6 highest in funding right now, I believe?) but I don't see Kickstarter as a company caring if they come out as pro-union unless they plan on doing something else substantial like paying for some good employment lawyers for the three ex-employees or something.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Nuns with Guns posted:

The thing is, the lesson Patron took away from that is they need to be more gradual about phasing in the ripoff stuff. They basically enacted it anyway but they let all accounts created before a certain cutoff date have the grandfathered pay rates. (And it's clear that they'll find ways to incentivize people to switch to the shittier rates over time, or maybe flat out roll everyone onto it when they think they can get away with it down the road.)

Critical Role has a very successful kickstarter for an animated special (#6 highest in funding right now, I believe?) but I don't see Kickstarter as a company caring if they come out as pro-union unless they plan on doing something else substantial like paying for some good employment lawyers for the three ex-employees or something.
I thought the bigger outrage over Patreon last year was more on the customer side rather than the creator side. Wasn't it more about people being charged for each creator they follow separately instead of all together at the end of the month, so you would be dinged an extra fee on each transaction, making it really annoying to donate $1 to a bunch of people?

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

There were multiple missteps by the Patreon people yeah, and attempting to move to a Patron Pays Fees model was one of them.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Warthur posted:

Age of Uranus.

Sniggering about the name aside - the project owners are Italian and so probably didn't spot that - this (cancelled) project's pretty astonishing in terms of how the creators have convinced themselves that they're doing something stunningly artistically groundbreaking when they're pretty much just following the White Wolf playbook every step of the way.

I can't find a single mention of it on RPG.net. Say what you want about Big Purple, but thousands of people visit it. You'd think they'd at least post a little announcement of their KS in the ads section. Like, do you want people to not hear about your project?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Sage Genesis posted:

I can't find a single mention of it on RPG.net. Say what you want about Big Purple, but thousands of people visit it. You'd think they'd at least post a little announcement of their KS in the ads section. Like, do you want people to not hear about your project?
To be fair, if they're Italian-based they don't necessarily know where the major centres of English-language tabletop RPG discussion are... but on the other hand, you'd think that if you were going to do a bilingual game launch you'd investigate the market for the language you were going to translate the game into, at least to the extent of the five minutes of Googling it'd take to realise you should be promoting your RPG Kickstarter on RPG.net.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Warthur posted:

To be fair, if they're Italian-based they don't necessarily know where the major centres of English-language tabletop RPG discussion are... but on the other hand, you'd think that if you were going to do a bilingual game launch you'd investigate the market for the language you were going to translate the game into, at least to the extent of the five minutes of Googling it'd take to realise you should be promoting your RPG Kickstarter on RPG.net.

And apparently this project started on September 1st and was cancelled one week later.
https://www.kicktraq.com/projects/ageofuranus/age-of-uranus/

Getting 14% in one week isn't even all that bad, considering it's a new studio which hadn't done any KS before. Maybe they realized that they were in over their heads or something.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sage Genesis posted:

Getting 14% in one week isn't even all that bad, considering it's a new studio which hadn't done any KS before. Maybe they realized that they were in over their heads or something.

It's solid indication that the campaign won't make it (you want at least a third of your fund in the first few week, generally), so cancelling it at that point to re-think the campaign is actually the intelligent choice.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Not always the most popular here, but fyi that the latest Numenera Kickstarter is in its final hours.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/montecookgames/numenera-liminal-shores/description

clockworkjoe
May 31, 2000

Rolled a 1 on the random encounter table, didn't you?
https://twitter.com/ksr_united/status/1172511951282483200

https://twitter.com/ksr_united/status/1172521087923621888

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Warthur posted:

Rpg.net is terrible for drive-by promoting - the subforum for ads and promo gets basically zero traffic, and posting about your *next big thing in rpgs* in a subforum that gets views and dialog is verboten. Unless you've taken the time to build an authentic presence as a member of the community, you're just pissing into the wind (which is true of most communities).

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

demota posted:

I'm an editor on Kamigakari. I'm not sure how much I can say right now, but the statements made in the update Noelle posted are missing a lot of context, and that the conclusions drawn are inaccurate, and I expect the project to be fulfilled. Amy's been in the hospital.

All I can say is you should probably just change your Discord invite link if you have one and ban anyone who does poo poo like try to do greentext outside of 4chan (>posting like this) or anyone else who is suspicious because I guarantee there's some 4chan geeks trying to join to start drama. I think Amy has really huge issues and is probably someone you should consider severing ties with if her making up lies constantly to emotionally manipulate people is something she frequently does but I feel like having 4chan people running through your chat logs trying to find poo poo is going to suck because they're also going to target you and anyone they perceive as being too sympathetic.

Pennfalath
Sep 10, 2011

Why are these teenagers not at home studying their Latin vocabulary?
In happier news, my copy of Everdell Collector's Edition just arrived and it is gorgeous!

Warthur
May 2, 2004

slap me and kiss me posted:

Rpg.net is terrible for drive-by promoting - the subforum for ads and promo gets basically zero traffic, and posting about your *next big thing in rpgs* in a subforum that gets views and dialog is verboten. Unless you've taken the time to build an authentic presence as a member of the community, you're just pissing into the wind (which is true of most communities).
OTOH, that's an argument for making an effort to build an authentic community presence before you launch your big project, rather than tossing it out there and everyone turns around and goes "Who the gently caress are these people again?"

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Warthur posted:

OTOH, that's an argument for making an effort to build an authentic community presence before you launch your big project, rather than tossing it out there and everyone turns around and goes "Who the gently caress are these people again?"

Yeah, absolutely it is. Zero arguments from me on that count.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Here is, I think, a really nicely-judged expression of support from a bunch of Kickstarter creators (including Greg Stolze). "We're not boycotting because the union hasn't said to boycott yet, but we stand ready to do so should the union call for it" feels to me like the correctly-nuanced approach to take on this.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

slap me and kiss me posted:

Yeah, absolutely it is. Zero arguments from me on that count.

Doing open playtesting by PBP on RPG forums would probably be very good publicity. People would get to see the rules in action, and you'd have proof that you really had playtested things.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
I know a lot of people here don't like Kingdom Death: Monster but if you've ever been interested in the game but have been put off by the weird sexual content or the price tag, it could be worth checking out the kickstarter for Aeon Trespass: Odyssey. It's heavily inspired by KDM, and has taken the same basic gameplay of fighting a single boss enemy at a time with a small group of heroes who are wildly customisable and evolve over time through the fights and story-based campaign mode.

For all the (mostly valid) criticisms that can be directed at KDM, I think the core gameplay of monster fights and the way the monster behaviour is generated is fantastic and creates some of the most interesting, challenging and exciting experiences that I've had in co-op gaming.

Aeon's Trespass seems to have largely taken this system as-is and made a few minor changes, so I would fully expect it to deliver a similar experience. If you're not familiar, monster behaviour is managed by an AI deck, and a 'hit-location' deck.

Each turn, you draw an AI card that determines what the monster does. This deck is unique for each monster, and somewhat randomised from fight to fight. Having a whole card for each AI action allows for different monsters to behave in wildly different ways, creating extremely unique fights that I haven't seen in any other game. In KDM for example, some monsters might grab survivors and isolate them by dragging them off to a corner of the board where they can maul them without being disturbed by the other survivors, while another monster might have AI cards that taunt the survivors and order them to use their actions to stand in front of the monster so that he can hit them all at once, with an even more severe penalty if they don't comply.

The second part of this system is that when you hit a monster, the monster has a unique deck of hit location cards that represent the body parts of the monster that you might hit. Again, these are hugely varied. A heavily armored enemy might have a bunch of cards that do no damage when they hit, but are removed from the game, reflecting the need to spend a lot of attacks breaking off pieces of armor before being able to wound the enemy. A different monster might have a lot of reactions that cause them to jump back, or even run away when hit.

The combination of these two systems gives each enemy a sense of personality and character that again I've not seen in any other game, and makes for a fantastic and interesting experience of learning how each enemy operates- it's tendencies, strengths and weaknesses. While the basic gameplay comes down to rolling to hit and then rolling to wound - which on the face of it seems random and boring - in practice, success or failure depends not on your rolls (since you roll so many dice per fight that it generally balances out well enough) but learning how the monsters operate and understanding how to exploit and play around their behaviour.

It looks like they're aiming to get Aeons Trespass on to TTS before the kickstarter ends, so if any of that sounds appealing I'd really recommend checking it out. It's still a high price tag compared to a lot of other games, but cheap compared to what KDM currently costs.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

mllaneza posted:

Doing open playtesting by PBP on RPG forums would probably be very good publicity. People would get to see the rules in action, and you'd have proof that you really had playtested things.

That's an amazing idea. I have some concerns about the practicality of doing so (I've found that pbp is not the best format for games that last), but if one could figure out ensuring that everyone keeps playing over the medium-term, I think it'd be really viable.

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Erika has made more art and rules for Flying Circus: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/310174564/flying-circus-a-roleplaying-game-of-high-flying-ad/posts/2623603

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

I'm so pumped to play this game, it checks off everything I could ever want in a games theme/setting, and the art helps. Now I just need to wrangle up some other people to try it out.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I checked the update earlier, but the tail art on those planes didn't register until now. :)

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

I dont have a group that would have played this but I want it..

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Scroll down and check the spoiler tags for the reveal

https://i.imgur.com/fpofZlv.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gt9IU6h1xTA
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/roan-world-at-war/roan-world-at-war

Please watch the amazing video

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yanno

I had actually...started to forget about all that MLP stuff. just for a little bit. I hadn't been constantly reminded of the existence of my little pony and/or bronies for a while now.

but it never dies, it just slinks back to the shadows, ready to leap out again when you least expect it

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

oh hi, Johnny Five-Horses

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Captain Invictus posted:

yanno

I had actually...started to forget about all that MLP stuff. just for a little bit. I hadn't been constantly reminded of the existence of my little pony and/or bronies for a while now.

but it never dies, it just slinks back to the shadows, ready to leap out again when you least expect it

I looked on the dev's website and maybe I'm projecting or something but based on the backstory, I think the ponies are meant to represent nazis or reformed nazis or something???

quote:

Pride

The greatest and most dangerous ingredient of disaster for a great nation.

This was the Roan Empires history.

A history of great strength and chivalry, one of pride and foolishness.

These ponies had not the wings of feather or leather.

They did not have the horn to harness magic.

Nor the wisdom and knowledge to know thyself better.

They were full of national pride, a dangerous pride that they wore as a badge of honor, and as a shield.

Yet shields wear away and shatter when not cared for, and a nationalistic pride, is certainly more harm then good.

The wheel of time would turn slowly for the Roans, allowing them to relish in their glory, but like all things, one good turn, deserves another, and a painful turn it was.

The Roans had finally overstepped their boundaries, their pride leading them to believe they had a right to more of the fertile land around them, including that of the Canidians, a generally peaceful land of mutts who enjoy cartography and exploration.

The brunt of the Roan cavalry quickly charged across a well know land bridge called the Wolfs Fang due to its shape, a glorious charge it was, their colors sailing high in the sky, a serenade of cannon fire pushing them on wards towards the Canidian front.

The Roan elite, so focused on their superior speed, would find themselves overwhelmed by a new addition to the Canidian armament. The simple creation of firearms, rifles, ballistics that can easily outdistance any Roan, no matter how fast they were.

The battle of Wolfs Fang was devastating, the Roan charge utterly decimated by the ordered firearms of the Canidians.

Roan, left without its fighting elite, would quickly find their territories threatened on all fronts by a joint force of Canidians and Gryphons. If not for their pride, Roan would have found help in the form of their old allies, but pride is a painful trait that turns even the best friends into enemies.

The future of Roan would be a grim one, filled with sorrow, as they worked away, indentured to the many countries they once looked down upon, and yet they would learn a great lesson in humility, and the curse that is pride.

The Roan Empire were given granted the worst Treaty in their time, with a debt so large that it not only broke their economy, but it brought most of the entire pony kingdom into indentured servitude or worse, slavery.

As they were only road ponies, so called because of the vast network of roads they helped establish, they were put into menial labor such as farming, mining, and of course low end conscripted soldiers.

For well over a hundred years this would progress, while the world around them advanced, leaving the poor roadies behind to suffer the vagaries of life and labor.

Elsewhere in the world, the dragons were finding themselves in anarchy, their own young rebelling back at them and demanding what they believed should be rightfully given to them, the right to the Aether streams.

The elders found themselves duking it out with the younger generation in intense aether staring contests. To any outside observer, it would see am rather primitive and silly, two drakes glaring at each other, because they would never see the intense amount of magic that is passing between the two.

The loser would find themselves completely obliterated in most cases, and though the elders had the strength, the youths had the numbers.

Soon enough this would lead to the cataclysmic Aether Wars.

More Roan History will be released, detailing the world, its ponies, and of course the other species that inhabit it.

Mojo Jojo
Sep 21, 2005

That doesn't seem nearly sexualised enough to appeal to bronies

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Are bronies even a thing anymore or was that game under development for so long that it missed the window and they said gently caress it and released it anyway? (The same reason, I assume, that zombie video games are still showing up every E3)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Ponyfinder (MLP in Pathfinder) is still one of the most popular third-party product lines on DTRPG. I think they had a Kickstarter for something earlier this year.

Much like furries, whether or not there's constant internet mockery to remind you they exist, they're going to keep doing their thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

We're Live!

I cleaned up the page a little based on all y'alls feedback, and we added the video, which I'm pretty proud of. Really hyped for this one folks!