Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Given all the pipelines and shipping routes involved in getting oil out of the ME, for all of these to be shut down would be uh something extremely unprecedented. Basically, the uncertainty that part of the oil production network will go offline is baked into the price of oil

Mine the straight of Hormuz and blow up just one tanker.

That would freak out the whole energy market.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Kanine posted:

ok is anyone naive enough to believe that the democrats wouldnt be totally cool with a war with iran if it came to that?

A war would basically be a godsend for the GOP since Americans still seem to view Republicans as more reliable military leaders for some Godforsaken reason. I'm inclined to disagree, but Democrats disappoint me all the time.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Kanine posted:

ok is anyone naive enough to believe that the democrats wouldnt be totally cool with a war with iran if it came to that?

Uhh,

Looking at this issue at scale one side really doesn’t want a war and the other one kind of does?

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

More Primus For Fucks Sake.
War is inevitable with Iran, it’s just a matter of when.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Tab8715 posted:

Does this still qualify this event as a enormously successful military operation?

Yes. It was a successful and very damaging attack against a high-value (and valid!) strategic target.

The Houthis are waging a war here, and winning.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

Yes. It was a successful and very damaging attack against a high-value (and valid!) strategic target.

The Houthis are waging a war here, and winning.

Is there real evidence this was a ingenious low-tech attack or did Iran just give them a high tech missile with instructions?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

The Houthis have been using missiles and drones since the start of the conflict, have their own experts which to my understanding where the ones who originally pushed them towards building suicide drones, and while their most sophisticated platforms are derivative of Iranian designs, construction is for the most part indigenous + whatever commercial parts they can sneak through the blockade.

They've also beenn executing precision strikes with unmanned UAVs against value targets like grounded planes and VIPs for years, and getting increasingly better at it.

ED: just a couple months ago they loaded iirc one of their Qasefs with anti-personnel munitions, flew that baby 30+ kms through air defenses and right into the brass at a parade in Aden, nailing over two dozen military personnel and a top commander, showing the Saudi proxy that nowhere is safe.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Sep 18, 2019

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Conspiratiorist posted:

The Houthis have been using missiles and drones since the start of the conflict, have their own experts which to my understanding where the ones who originally pushed them towards building suicide drones, and while their most sophisticated platforms are derivative of Iranian designs, construction is for the most part indigenous + whatever commercial parts they can sneak through the blockade.

They've also beenn executing precision strikes with unmanned UAVs against value targets like grounded planes and VIPs for years, and getting increasingly better at it.

ED: just a couple months ago they loaded iirc one of their Qasefs with anti-personnel munitions, flew that baby 30+ kms through air defenses and right into the brass at a parade in Aden, nailing over two dozen military personnel and a top commander, showing the Saudi proxy that nowhere is safe.

That’s pretty freaking innovative. Goddamn.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Clearly this is a Drone arms race going on. I wonder what potential countermeasures can be made against war drones in the future? Signal jamming?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I would suspect they’d be relatively easy to shoot down with a full rifle round?

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Kanine posted:

Back in the 2004 elections, during the 3rd debate, John Kerry gave a quick answer to an innocuous question and then used his last 45 seconds to go on about how "by the way, I'd totally attack Iran if it turned out to be justified." No context, no other mention of Iran, just an "oh by the way, I'd totally bomb Iran."

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Grouchio posted:

Clearly this is a Drone arms race going on. I wonder what potential countermeasures can be made against war drones in the future? Signal jamming?

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Grouchio posted:

ive seen netguns, shotguns, various Wile E. Coyote poo poo suggested, it all sounds fine i guess

Tab8715 posted:

I would suspect they’d be relatively easy to shoot down with a full rifle round?

it really depends heavily on the size of the drone and how fast its going. i would probably compare it to skeet shooting? in which case an ar15 isnt optimum

Kanine fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Sep 18, 2019

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

something that's a bit of a steampunk cyberpunk mashup is ive seen people suggest using punt guns which are essentially massive blunderbusses that were used for commercial duck harvesting.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

mllaneza posted:

Back in the 2004 elections, during the 3rd debate, John Kerry gave a quick answer to an innocuous question and then used his last 45 seconds to go on about how "by the way, I'd totally attack Iran if it turned out to be justified." No context, no other mention of Iran, just an "oh by the way, I'd totally bomb Iran."

People say may stupid things but which party right now is showing restraint?

Freezer
Apr 20, 2001

The Earth is the cradle of the mind, but one cannot stay in the cradle forever.

Grouchio posted:

There's all kinds of stuff being developed, ranging from electronic warfare to standard AA systems. IIRC the Russians in Syria have had a good degree of success using the Pantsir-S1 against low tech drone swarm attacks, which were deployed after a drone grenade attack hit a bunch of jets in a Syrian airfield.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pantsir_missile_system

It's basically a truck with a Radar, missiles and AA guns mounted on top, which offers point defense in a 20-30 km range and can engage several targets at the same time.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Less Claypool posted:

Maybe under a Biden Administration. Trump is rather resist.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump...ingawful.com%2F

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

The Israelis have a system where they can disconnect a drone from the operator and gain remote control of it. Why shoot down or destroy a drone when you can hijack it?

Less Claypool fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 18, 2019

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008
https://twitter.com/ELINTNews/status/1174173959924924417

The dog and pony show soon to come.

edit
The guesstimated radar track currently looks something like this.
https://twitter.com/EllemanIISS/status/1174011827048636416

At least one of the radars in Riyad are pointed south to detect ballistic missiles from the south. Also as of 2017 a new radar would give it 360 coverage but I don't think the Saudis have that.

But what you really need to detect these sorts of drone attacks is an AWACs up at the time and in range. (Oh what is this formation flying low off a regular path)

edit 2
A small thread on the air defenses at the site.
https://twitter.com/DuitsyWasHere/status/1174186756708679681

One thing from the video of the attack itself I don't remember hearing is gunfire. Mainly just the drone of the engine then boom.

RaffyTaffy fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Sep 18, 2019

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.

Squalid posted:

I'm not an engineer, but I feel like you are understating the difficulty involved. I have some familiarity with small drones, and I think with a bit of trial and error I could put a large quadcopter together in a weekend using off the shelf parts. These missiles though are definitely on a different scale of complexity and necessary expertise. I mean its likely the engines and electronics were all off the shelf parts but you can tell the body is all custom built. You can't just buy 3+ meter long rocket superstructures on Amazon, these things required at least a moderately sized professional workshop to construct. If they were fired from Yemen they would have also been operating near the edge of the maximum theoretical range feasible given the engine and fuel load, according to that Arms Control Wonk article. Actually achieving that performance is going to require serious design and foresight, this isn't a project you can just wing. Especially since they did it at least 19 times over.

This is all contrasted with say, how IS used drones in the siege of Mosul. In that battle they basically were just using off the shelf commercial aircraft with a simple mechanism added to release mortars. These things however are different beasts entirely.

dude yemen is a country with 30 million people. I think they might have a workshop or two. jesus christ.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Trump is saying he’s putting more sanctions on Iran but gave no specifics so it may mean nothing

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Trump is saying he’s putting more sanctions on Iran but gave no specifics so it may mean nothing
He's going to block Rouhani on Twitter.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I'm glad he specified that he meant the country of Iran, because it might have been confusing otherwise.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1174305447513186304

Rent-A-Cop posted:

He's going to block Rouhani on Twitter.

Rouhani does seem to be having trouble getting a visa to attend the UN General Assembly, which is a pretty serious diplomatic violation if the US doesn't issue it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kanine posted:

it really depends heavily on the size of the drone and how fast its going. i would probably compare it to skeet shooting? in which case an ar15 isnt optimum

Host a skeet shooting tournament, give the top 5 a position in the military.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Sinteres posted:

I'm glad he specified that he meant the country of Iran, because it might have been confusing otherwise.

Rouhani does seem to be having trouble getting a visa to attend the UN General Assembly, which is a pretty serious diplomatic violation if the US doesn't issue it.

I guess putting "I hereby order" and "the country of" in the same tweet would have been a little much, even for Trump.

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

Here's the wreckage evidence KSA is presenting to claim Iranian involvement:

https://twitter.com/Stone_SkyNews/status/1174326457247703041?s=19

I've seen a few defense blogs theorize that the attack was a mix of UAVs and QUDS-1 cruise missiles specifically because their different speeds and altitudes would make them very hard to intercept.

Combined with the attack potentially coming from Iran itself and taking the circular route to avoid Saudi air defenses to nail Abqaiq from the West, this whole thing feels pretty loving sophisticated.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

So how does Robert O'Brien compare to John Bolton?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Objurium posted:

I've seen a few defense blogs theorize that the attack was a mix of UAVs and QUDS-1 cruise missiles specifically because their different speeds and altitudes would make them very hard to intercept.

Combined with the attack potentially coming from Iran itself and taking the circular route to avoid Saudi air defenses to nail Abqaiq from the West, this whole thing feels pretty loving sophisticated.

Actually it was taped together drone parts the Houthis ordered on Amazon.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Objurium posted:

Here's the wreckage evidence KSA is presenting to claim Iranian involvement:

https://twitter.com/Stone_SkyNews/status/1174326457247703041?s=19

What I want to know is how many of the poor fucks trying to shoot down the drones with small arms got waxed.

Less Claypool
Apr 16, 2009

Iran and hezbollah have their poo poo together with missile technology now. Maybe shouldn’t have pulled out of.that deal ducking moron.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/N_Waters89/status/1174348098560233474?s=20

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Sinteres posted:

How much room is there actually to increase sanctions against Iran, given that everything is already forbidden to everyone?

Sinteres posted:

Time to move the UN to Geneva, IMO.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Sooo the strike was done by Saudis :hmmyes:

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Delta-Wye posted:

Sooo the strike was done by Saudis :hmmyes:

And they're gonna invade Afghanistan next, since Yemen has been such a triumphal adventure.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

RIP Syndrome posted:

Although the US starting a confrontation with Iran and just sitting back twiddling its thumbs as the Saudis get wrecked is kind of darkly humorous

Declaring war and then letting the ally you hate get wrecked while you risk nothing is a sound strategy in Paradox games, so it'll absolutely work irl.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Conspiratiorist posted:

Let's switch to car analogies.

The US is a Tesla, KSA is the driver and Iran is a firetruck.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Less Claypool posted:

It really isn't. We could normalize relations with them and just accept that it's a multi-polar world when it comes to power. We won't, but that doesn't mean we can't.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Grouchio posted:

So how does Robert O'Brien compare to John Bolton?

Less warmongery, more of a spineless sycophant. So... an improvement, I guess?

Cat Mattress posted:

How much room is there actually to increase sanctions against Iran, given that everything is already forbidden to everyone?

Basically none at this point. The idea of "additional sanctions" is essentially treated as a punchline in Iran.

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Kindest Forums User posted:

dude yemen is a country with 30 million people. I think they might have a workshop or two. jesus christ.

Hi. I can tell you think you are making a principled defense of the intelligence and capabilities of the Yemeni people against something I have implied. However if you reread what I wrote again, I think you will find your inference was mistaken. Getting subtext is challenging, you might want to limit your comments to what is explicit and overt while taking some time to practice critical reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
i know this poo poo is pretty hard to predict but like, what's a realistic scenario in which war with iran happens? what would be the tipping point to watch out for where we know we're hosed?