Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Ms Adequate posted:

Okay I may have exaggerated a touch but New Orleans' population was halved, almost 2000 people died, 80% of the city flooded, and I can find damage figures anywhere from $70billion to $160bil. It could be worse but I'm not sure that a city hit that hard and not prompting a response beyond Congress going "how can we blame the army corps of engineering" bodes well for future changes in course. Capitalism found a way to turn that to its advantage instead of having to pay higher taxes to deal with climate change; the fact New Orleans got gentrified is exactly why I don't think his arguments about what capitalism will do are entirely credible.
The population is only 15% smaller now than before Katrina, the city really wasn't that badly hurt. Some of the people, sure, but that's not what counts. A city being written off means abandoning it, like Chernobyl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

How the mighty are fallen or become LibDems anyway. How many are left in the Cuktigs?

https://twitter.com/SmokinKones/status/1174303959353384960

Imagine which one of them asked for a plain nandos

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Ratjaculation posted:

Imagine which one of them asked for a plain nandos

All of them. Only the driest, plainest chicken for them.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Pesky Splinter posted:

All of them. Only the driest, plainest chicken for them.

No! My joke was about not wanting it to have a funny tinge

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The population is only 15% smaller now than before Katrina, the city really wasn't that badly hurt. Some of the people, sure, but that's not what counts. A city being written off means abandoning it, like Chernobyl.

What the hell? Have you been to NOLA? Pre-Katrina the entire french quarter would have people walking around in at night, every night. Now it's only lively on the weekends. Everyone who worked downtown in those service industry jobs used to live three blocks north of Rampart or in the Lower Ninth. Now, because out-of-town white money came in and bought up loads of the homes that were underwater for weeks, they live in loving New Orleans East which takes 45 minutes to drive from on a good day.. It's totally unsustainable..nothing but service industry will ever exist in the city.

i am harry fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Sep 18, 2019

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

“Excuse me, my chicken isn’t cuked thoroughly”

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I really want to go to New Orleans because I hear it has amazing food and drink and nightlife but I think being in a swamp would be awful and also I'm deeply uneasy about going to the USA because people just occasionally start shooting each other there. it's the police i'm most scared of

I feel exactly the same about Las Vegas but replace swamp with desert.

e: I also have a tendency to loudly discuss very communist things after a few drinks and I'm not certain how well that would go down in a bar in the american deep south lol

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

ThomasPaine posted:

I really want to go to New Orleans because I hear it has amazing food and drink and nightlife but I think being in a swamp would be awful and also I'm deeply uneasy about going to the USA because people just occasionally start shooting each other there. it's the police i'm most scared of

e: I also have a tendency to loudly discuss very communist things after a few drinks and I'm not certain how well that would go down in a bar in the american deep south lol

Same for NO but replace food and drink with music.

But also same, I'm boycotting the US because of [waves hands generally at state of US, esp borders]. I have not yet tested this boycott in the face of my boss telling me to visit HQ...

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Just buy a gun, you’ll be fine!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The southwestern US deserts look absolutely beautiful and I would like to visit them, though possibly in the winter.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

i am harry posted:

What the hell? Have you been to NOLA? Pre-Katrina the entire french quarter would have people walking around in at night, every night. Now it's only lively on the weekends. Everyone who worked downtown in those service industry jobs used to live three blocks north of Rampart or in the Lower Ninth. Now, because out-of-town white money came in and bought up loads of the homes that were underwater for weeks, they live in loving New Orleans East which takes 45 minutes to drive from on a good day.. It's totally unsustainable..nothing but service industry will ever exist in the city.
I meant from the perspective of capital. If you took a city and replaced all the people while the original inhabitants died in a ditch somewhere, capital wouldn't even notice.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

OwlFancier posted:

The southwestern US deserts look absolutely beautiful and I would like to visit them, though possibly in the winter.

Jokes aside my partner and I are vaguely talking about doing a road trip, flying into Los Angeles or San Francisco then going up to Vegas via the Salton Sea (GTAV tourism honestly), then going up into the pacific northwest (absolutely love the misty pine trees and mountains landscape) and flying back from either Seattle or Vancouver. She originally wanted to fly into New York and drive across the country first and while I'd like to see the city lol if I'm sitting in a car for days on end driving through the plains. In any case it sounds like a great little extended holiday if we can get the time off and come up with enough money.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

OwlFancier posted:

Zion park is what you're after. Desert on the drive in and then an absolutely amazing park with desert on the drive out. You can drive around Bryce canyon too

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

ThomasPaine posted:

Jokes aside my partner and I are vaguely talking about doing a road trip, flying into Los Angeles or San Francisco then going up to Vegas via the Salton Sea (GTAV tourism honestly), then going up into the pacific northwest (absolutely love the misty pine trees and mountains landscape) and flying back from either Seattle or Vancouver. She originally wanted to fly into New York and drive across the country first and while I'd like to see the city lol if I'm sitting in a car for days on end driving through the plains. In any case it sounds like a great little extended holiday if we can get the time off and come up with enough money.

Do fallout tourism:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89sOyZdtVA0

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

Wile-E-Coyote tourism is quite fun if you're passing through that bit of Arizona.

domhal
Dec 30, 2008

0.000% of Communism has been built. Evil child-murdering billionaires still rule the world with a shit-eating grin. All he has managed to do is make himself *sad*. It has, however, made him into a very, very smart boy with something like a university degree in Truth. Instead of building Communism, he now builds a precise model of this grotesque, duplicitous world.
If your near Zion and feeling adventurous

https://www.thewave.info/

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Bundy posted:

Jumped ahead to reply etc but I went through a miscarriage in 2012 and I wasn't devastated by it because I give a poo poo about pro life or religion or anything else but because we'd just gone through a loving miscarriage, and "was it anything we did/could have done differently?" were among the first thoughts we had between us. I can't speak for others but we certainly bonded with the bump and felt serious loss after the fact, with both of us pro choice atheists.

Guavanaut posted:

I was responding to jabby to agree that it's never a matter of 'fault' or 'blame', not to any individual case, and unfortunately a lot of their propaganda has, by its rhetoric, caused people to internalize feelings of personal fault and blame over pregnancy loss in ways that they wouldn't have done in the past.
Like, too many times people will think "what if I'd done this or that or the other" and blame themselves, it's understandable, but it is a departure from how we used to think about it.

Obviously it's not a reasonable ask for an individual in that situation to somehow rationally decide to think about it in the manner of a different decade, but it's never someone's 'fault', and I think the driving forces behind that view of pregnancy are the same as the driving forces behind "you have to do pregnancy perfectly (and what does that say about you if you can't)" and in turn behind regressive bills to allow investigations into whether miscarriages are 'legitimate' and stuff which legitimately boils my piss. (I'm also not saying you personally did or did not look at it in that way, that's not my business, but I'm saying some people definitely do, and it's a bit messed up that the old fashioned view of "sometimes it's just not meant" is closer to medical reality and seems mentally healthier than some of the pressures we put on now.)

Sorry if I was unclear there, it's specifically the fault bit that I pin on that kind of poo poo.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Bobstar posted:

But also same, I'm boycotting the US because of [waves hands generally at state of US, esp borders]. I have not yet tested this boycott in the face of my boss telling me to visit HQ...

Being married to a woman from deepest rural Mississippi, I don't get this option with my boss :shobon:

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

I mean, don't buy US anyway where you can because it's generally, the cheapest most awful poo poo they could develop. ULTRACAPITALISM in that country has resulted in companies selling inferior products that barely work so they can shovel more money into CEO bonuses and shareholder pockets. See: Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Pretty much every US car manufacturer, etc.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
china unironically makes the best everything now

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I know someone who bought a chrysler once.

It was not a good decision.

I have no idea how it even made it to the UK why would anyone here want a chrysler hatchback?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

coffeetable posted:

Best human rights.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Jose posted:

Zion park is what you're after. Desert on the drive in and then an absolutely amazing park with desert on the drive out. You can drive around Bryce canyon too

Utah is pretty cool. You can drive from here:

to here:

in just over a day.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

coffeetable posted:

You should see the cheap lovely stuff they sell to Egyptians.
I'm sure it comes as part of the bargain - we'll invest in you if you buy our lovely stuff. As if Egyptians couldn't make their own lovely stuff.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Boris didn’t provide a signed affidavit to the Supreme Court for his reasoning behind proroguing parliament.

Presiding judge basically said “bit odd innit?”

He’s shot himself in whatever is left of his foot, again.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well yeah if he does and they find he lied then that's perjury.

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

coffeetable posted:

Yes, but only the first time you order from them. The second time onwards theres a very good chance the quality will suck absolute poo poo. Rotate suppliers after every big shipment till you find one that doesn't drop quality after they've "proven themselves" to you by doing good on the first order.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
#sacklaurakuenssberg is trending at 20k on twitter at the moment.

Unlikely anything will come of it. If they comment at all, the BBC will say "Oh well, it was posted from a private account - nothing to do with us. Despite the massive influence she has on BBC political discourse, nothing to do with us whatsoever, as she purposely framed the argument, and indirectly encouraged her followers to spam his twitter account."

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

I got a pass me down Huawei phone, after years on iPhone. It's battery lasts for a few days, its camera is great and, hell, I'm never talking to myself with it close by.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Time to make fake posts that LK supports Corbyn and remaining in earth shattering leak!

Redirect the vitriol to her and let her account be hacked or whatever.

I’m going to hook up my coax to my tv and leech television, because gently caress the BBC. send me all the letters you want you paper wasting scumbags. Boomers will pay for it anyway and rightly loving so.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

ThomasPaine posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoVgQ82QcXY

not a dig, just love Sunny posting

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
more like ann covfefe

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Ratjaculation posted:

I got a pass me down Huawei phone, after years on iPhone. It's battery lasts for a few days, its camera is great and, hell, I'm never talking to myself with it close by.

Yeah I've got an honor phone which is a hauwei spinoff and it was cheap, the specs are great and the battery is beefy as hell. The camera sucks on mine tho but I don't really care about that.

Tbh I'd rather Chinese govmt gets all my personal info than the UK govmt does

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Lafargue/status/1174418780581064705?s=19

lol

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

drat Laura K getting a pair of hall of fame ratios in a single day. Pretty strong showing.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/MarkDiStef/status/1174425681788383235?s=19

Laura making this about the father and then the jurnos circling the wagons and making it about Laura has really let off Boris for lying and ignoring understaffing.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Did some volunteering for refugee charity today - it's shocking how few resources they have!

A lot of people go on about how great UK is for refugees who actually get their claims upheld, but it really didn't seem that way. Though hey they get a free bus pass! Nevermind that they are absolutely miserable and poor.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Private Speech posted:

A lot of people go on about how great UK is for refugees who actually get their claims upheld

Literally only nazis say this.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Tesseraction posted:

I, uhh, maybe? Definitely people with fash tendencies, but that includes my current neighbours and landlord.

They're all rather old though so it's not too surprising, I guess. They did go on about the whole "first safe country" thing a lot too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Tesseraction posted:

And the tabloids. Wait, no, you said that.