Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Donkotay and Shrek, off on another whirlwind adventure!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly they should just shut down Star Trek. Spaceflight isn't in our future, or if it is not for thousands of years.

You're too pessimistic, friend. Remember, we still have to go full fash and have a global nuclear war before we get to the good bit.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

I love that Odo apparently had that ready just in case Worf ever decided to get pissy.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

Honestly they should just shut down Star Trek. Spaceflight isn't in our future, or if it is not for thousands of years.

Spaceflight is in our future, it's just that it will be a terrible grim bladerunner 2049-ish future where billions of people die

if civilization collapses far enough that space travel is no longer a thing then our species will be trapped here until we go extinct and nothing matters

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Earth is unironically going to become the kind of shithouse graveyard planet that Kirk and Spock would have visited for five minutes before grimly dropping some zingers about how blind civilizations can be to their own flaws and then having Scotty beam them up so that the degenerate caveman natives can sneak out of the ruins of a skyscraper and shank Ensign Willikers for his boots

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

skasion posted:

Earth is unironically going to become the kind of shithouse graveyard planet

Yeah but we'll say we're doing it ironically.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Laterite posted:

You're too pessimistic, friend. Remember, we still have to go full fash and have a global nuclear war before we get to the good bit.

I don't think we'll have any friendly aliens come by to bail us out.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Technowolf posted:

I love that Odo apparently had that ready just in case Worf ever decided to get pissy.

Rene Auberjonois's smug smiles and little grunts are 97% of the reason why DS9 is so good

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

davidspackage posted:

Star Trek Security: set phasers to stern warning three flights of stairs.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

skasion posted:

Earth is unironically going to become the kind of shithouse graveyard planet that Kirk and Spock would have visited for five minutes before grimly dropping some zingers about how blind civilizations can be to their own flaws and then having Scotty beam them up so that the degenerate caveman natives can sneak out of the ruins of a skyscraper and shank Ensign Willikers for his boots

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Aron Eisenberg is apparently in a bad way

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Rene Auberjonois's smug smiles and little grunts are 97% of the reason why DS9 is so good

ds9 has a lot of characters that i find to be real entertaining despite being fash as gently caress

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Aron Eisenberg is apparently in a bad way

whats going on with nog i am scared of the outside internet?

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

lost my old email posted:

whats going on with nog i am scared of the outside internet?

Not immediately clear, but he's had super bad kidney troubles over the year so probably related to that.

lost my old email
Jun 20, 2019

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Not immediately clear, but he's had super bad kidney troubles over the year so probably related to that.

he does look super hosed on the GIS please do not die nog how the gently caress are you 50?

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

skasion posted:

You guys are forgetting the context in which Star Trek aired, just a few years after the Cuban missile crisis and as the Vietnam war was ramping up. The threats were different, but no less terrible and seemingly insurmountable.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

he does look super hosed on the GIS please do not die nog how the gently caress are you 50?

He’s got some kind of birth defect dealing with his kidneys (only born with one?). He had his first transplant at like age 12 or something, and another just a few years ago.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Sadly it appears that he has passed away

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Christ that's sad :( He was very active on Twitter so I had no idea he was even sick.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Must've been reading the thread :v:

That's awful, though. I recall reading that his kidney troubles were why he was so small, which is why he was perfect for Nog of course. :(

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Confirmed.

https://twitter.com/Malissa_Longo/status/1175620223023628288

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Well gently caress.

Gau
Nov 18, 2003

I don't think you understand, Gau.
Around 1996, I went to a local Trek con where Aron was the headline guest of honor. He was a gentleman and and genuinely enjoyed all of the fans, staying on for extra time until everyone got a question in (even a little punk kid who wanted to know if Nog was ever going to get into Starfleet).

May his memory be a blessing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Aw. :( Super sad.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
poo poo.

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
:(

It’s Only a Paper Moon is probably one of my favorite episodes of any Trek show. Loved Nog.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Boy, that DS9 Season 8 pitch is somehow even worse now.

That loving sucks :smith:

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I hope he had enough money from the DS9 gig to make it into the Divine Treasury

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This is... a lot more upsetting than I anticipated.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
gently caress.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Nog is one of my favorite Star Trek characters of all time, this sucks.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
drat, that sucks. I always loved Nog. The episode where he and Jake are roommates is so good.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Nog has one of the best character arcs in Star Trek. He's a thug being arrested for B&E in the first episode and a war hero in the last.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
On Aron's wikipedia page (link below), under Personal Life, there is a pretty nasty crack about the funding for his December 2015 kidney transplant. Maybe it was meant as a joke but If anyone is familiar with editing wikipedia pages (or reporting inappropriate content) then I encourage you to do so...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Eisenberg

Edit: it looks the inappropriate remark has already been removed.

Number_6 fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Sep 22, 2019

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Gau posted:

Around 1996, I went to a local Trek con where Aron was the headline guest of honor. He was a gentleman and and genuinely enjoyed all of the fans, staying on for extra time until everyone got a question in (even a little punk kid who wanted to know if Nog was ever going to get into Starfleet).

May his memory be a blessing.

I had a similar experience at a small con in Indianapolis around 2001 or so. Of the actors who were there, he was by far the most engaged and into meeting people. Koenig must have been having a bad day and was just a complete groucho, but Eisenberg enjoyed meeting everyone who came up to him. Even wandered around the hall a bit just to bullshit with people while he wasn't signing autographs.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fuzh6RT0wx8

:unsmith:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Aww, that’s sad news. I was going to say he didn’t look 100% in the What We Left Behind docu, but apparently this was very sudden?

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Seems like he was always living on borrowed time - drat shame.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

Number_6 posted:

On Aron's wikipedia page (link below), under Personal Life, there is a pretty nasty crack about the funding for his December 2015 kidney transplant. Maybe it was meant as a joke but If anyone is familiar with editing wikipedia pages (or reporting inappropriate content) then I encourage you to do so...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Eisenberg

Edit: it looks the inappropriate remark has already been removed.

Someone was editing anti-semitic stuff onto his page for a fair bit this morning.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Someone was editing anti-semitic stuff onto his page for a fair bit this morning.

JFC, what is wrong with people? :cripes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

MrL_JaKiri posted:

And you get the impression this wasn't like one guy who hated Nog, it's like a bunch of guys who do this all day.

Like imagine sitting in front of the computer, cracking your knuckles and saying, "Whelp, time for another 8 hour shift of editing stuff about people being jewish and insults onto people's Wiki pages! Perhaps today will be the day when one normie realizes this random actor is a jew and is enlightened about how they are all out to get us!" :psyduck:

Shame about Eisenberg though. Captain Nog is someone I would have loved to see show up on STP. :(