Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure that being the lapdog of the US oil industry is really an election winning formula against "how about we don't go and get killed for the americans again?"

Trump is desperately trying to turn this into his 9/11 so bojo might be trying to do the same thing Blair didm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
NEC position held, motion 13 to support remain now rejected.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oh I'm sure that's what he's trying for but I'm not sure "vote for me so I can make parliament send us to Iraq 2 this time but worse" is going to be the winning formula he thinks it is :v:

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

OwlFancier posted:

Not sure that being the lapdog of the US oil industry is really an election winning formula against "how about we don't go and get killed for the americans again?"

Yeah, but got to support our brave boys. Which somehow means supporting the government that started the war because war brings out the brainworms like nothing else.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

thespaceinvader posted:

I'm also only visible in that respect as of today so

Good on yer :)

My wife is bi and she got a lot of poo poo from lesbian friends when she married me who thought she was betraying the cause or something. And now of course everyone assumes she's straight. Bi erasure eh

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

Bobstar posted:

I'm not sure that recognising different levels of ability and handling them appropriately == 11+ by default though.

selective schooling at all remains anathema in the UK left

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah again I really don't think there is support for another stupid loving war at this point in time, not against an opposition that can and will stick to its lack-of-guns about non interventionism.

I don't think most people actually like it, people didn't like it when blair did it but they didn't have a choice, this time they do and blair's already shagged that pig's head so thoroughly that round 2 is going to look decidedly less appealing.

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

radmonger posted:

You are not winning those votes back based on any policy that includes a 2nd referendum, that horse has not merely left the stable, it has already been captured by the farmer next door and sold for glue.

Maybe you would prefer things to be otherwise? Tough; deal with reality or lose.

I-

Bless you

mehall posted:

I'm the sort of Glaswegian one, but no not that one.

I’m the other sort of Glaswegian one, yes that one.

superLINUS posted:

PodFive was good. I did miss Sanitary Naptime and that other guy, the southern one, who sounds like an Ollie.

We’re on this week! :)

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Glad to see this thread is tolerant of different opinions and responds with maturity to them.

Lmao an actual so much for the tolerant left in this thread of all places

Pesmerga posted:

Yesssssssss :getin:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Maugrim posted:

Bi erasure eh

You know, if society was polyamorous we wouldn't have this problem :thunkher:

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Rarity posted:

No, we'd have worse ones.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Maugrim posted:

Good on yer :)

My wife is bi and she got a lot of poo poo from lesbian friends when she married me who thought she was betraying the cause or something. And now of course everyone assumes she's straight. Bi erasure eh

I mean this is one of the things that I've been struggling with since I worked this out to be honest, because I've been married a longer than I've been consciously aware of this, and in a committed monogamous relationship for longer still.

It almost feels kind of appropriative to claim the label without the associated struggles, but conversely, one of the big reasons I wasn't out in the first place was to do with the massive amounts of homophobia present in a gender segregated school, so...

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Rarity posted:

There was a great tweet I saw a few years back questioning what TV dramas would be about if poly relationships were the societal norm and I couldn't come up with an answer because like 80% of murder mystery or cop procedurals are some kind of mono relationship bullshit.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

This is a bit out of context. It was part of his speech to conference and in regards to sharing green technologies with the developing world. It wasn’t a general endorsement of reparations.

Coohoolin posted:

also getting rid of faith based schools would massively improve social integration in many parts of scotland

Pity you’re not going to vote for the party suggesting anything like that then.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

CyberPingu posted:

Trump is desperately trying to turn this into his 9/11 so bojo might be trying to do the same thing Blair didm

Pretty sure Iraq lost Blair votes. I mean right from the get go. He was never doing it to win an election.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

njsykora posted:

There was a great tweet I saw a few years back questioning what TV dramas would be about if poly relationships were the societal norm and I couldn't come up with an answer because like 80% of murder mystery or cop procedurals are some kind of mono relationship bullshit.

Have you SEEN how much drama you can get in poly relationships? :shobon:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Plus at least with Iraq 2 if you looked at it sideways it was the good guys (us) against Stalin mustache dictator who definitely did gas kids in the 90s, and we've got this dossier that says he's got more gas, and maybe did some of 9/11 idk.

And even that got huge protests and unions sabotaging military equipment.

What's this one got? Scary regressive Muslim country Iran has bombed some refineries and so we're going to help our good progressive friends Donald Trump and Saudi Arabia.

njsykora posted:

Depends what most relationships looked like and what other power dynamics there were.

ContinuityNewTimes
Dec 30, 2010

Я выдуман напрочь
surely everything would be better if life was arranged according to my preferences

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Pesmerga posted:

Probably for the best.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah again I really don't think there is support for another stupid loving war at this point in time, not against an opposition that can and will stick to its lack-of-guns about non interventionism.

I don't think most people actually like it, people didn't like it when blair did it but they didn't have a choice, this time they do and blair's already shagged that pig's head so thoroughly that round 2 is going to look decidedly less appealing.

Even Johnson isn't demented enough to try a ground war in Iran but a chance to funnel huge amounts of money to BAE while making him look Churchillian with the enthusiastic support of at least half of the hundred or so Labour MPs who voted for action in Syria would be irresistible to him.

BTW if you want a handy cut-out-and-keep guide of Labour MPs who are wrong 'uns, that vote provides a pretty clear one:

Adrian Bailey (West Bromwich West)

Alan Campbell (Tynemouth)

Alan Johnson (Kingston upon Hull West and Hessle)

Alison McGovern (Wirral South)

Angela Eagle (Wallasey)

Angela Smith (Penistone and Stocksbridge)

Ann Coffey (Stockport)

Anna Turley (Redcar)

Ben Bradshaw (Exeter)

Bridget Phillipson (Houghton and Sunderland South)

Caroline Flint (Don Valley)

Chris Bryant (Rhondda)

Chris Leslie (Nottingham East)

Chuka Umunna (Streatham)

Colleen Fletcher (Coventry North East)

Conor McGinn (St Helens North)

Dan Jarvis (Barnsley Central)

Emma Reynolds (Wolverhampton North East)

Frank Field (Birkenhead)

Gareth Thomas (Harrow West)

Geoffrey Robinson (Coventry North West)

George Howarth (Knowsley)

Gisela Stuart (Birmingham, Edgbaston)

Gloria De Piero (Ashfield)

Graham Jones (Hyndburn)

Harriet Harman (Camberwell and Peckham)

Heidi Alexander (Lewisham East)

Helen Jones (Warrington North)

Hilary Benn (Leeds Central)

Holly Lynch (Halifax)

Ian Austin (Dudley North)

Jamie Reed (Copeland)

Jenny Chapman (Darlington)

Jim Dowd (Lewisham West and Penge)

Jim Fitzpatrick (Poplar and Limehouse)

Joan Ryan (Enfield North)

John Spellar (Warley)

John Woodcock (Barrow and Furness)

Keith Vaz (Leicester East)

Kevan Jones (North Durham)

Kevin Barron (Rother Valley)

Liz Kendall (Leicester West)

Louise Ellman (Liverpool, Riverside)

Luciana Berger (Liverpool, Wavertree)

Lucy Powell (Manchester Central)

Margaret Beckett (Derby South)

Margaret Hodge (Barking)

Maria Eagle (Garston and Halewood)

Mary Creagh (Wakefield)

Michael Dugher (Barnsley East)

Neil Coyle (Bermondsey and Old Southwark)

Pat McFadden (Wolverhampton South East)

Peter Kyle (Hove)

Phil Wilson (Sedgefield)

Ruth Smeeth (Stoke-on-Trent North)

Simon Danczuk (Rochdale)

Siobhain McDonagh (Mitcham and Morden)

Stella Creasy (Walthamstow)

Stephen Doughty (Cardiff South and Penarth)

Susan Elan Jones (Clwyd South)

Tom Blenkinsop (Middlesbrough South and East Cleveland)

Tom Watson (West Bromwich East)

Tristram Hunt (Stoke-on-Trent Central)

Vernon Coaker (Gedling)

Wayne David (Caerphilly)

Yvette Cooper (Normanton, Pontefract and Castleford)

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Didn't David Lammy vote for Iraq? He's quite conspicuous from that list.

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

Beeb posted:

Stephen Kinnock, the MP for Aberavon, told a fringe meeting organised by the Social Market Foundation that Labour had had "more Brexit positions than the Karma Sutra"

So... one then?

Puntification
Nov 4, 2009

Black Orthodontromancy
The most British Magic

Fun Shoe

CyberPingu posted:

Iraq war 2.0 would be a windfall for labour.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Rarity posted:

Didn't David Lammy vote for Iraq? He's quite conspicuous from that list.

Yep. Then as soon as Corbyn came in he suddenly became anti-interventionist. Unlike most of the centrists he can at least tell which way the wind blows.

mrpwase
Apr 21, 2010

I HAVE GREAT AVATAR IDEAS
For the Many, Not the Few

Dead Goon posted:

i've been waiting here since ten o'clock.

Hope you're okay comrade :glomp:

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
https://twitter.com/allisonpearson/status/1176043087103238149

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
God, just imagine if we have to send the RAF against Iranian air defences.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The Composite 13 vote was quite close - close enough that the chair initially thought it had passed until her tellers told her otherwise, although not close enough for them to move to card votes. Composite 14 passed with a considerably bigger lead, though.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Darth Walrus posted:

Lots of contracts to build new planes!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

They'll lob Brimstones at hospitals and power stations from over Saudi and claim that it's basically Battle Of Britain 2.

e: Storm Shadows, not Brimstones - and we take the piss out of Americans for bombastic naming of hardware...

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Sep 23, 2019

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

thespaceinvader posted:

AFAIK that's not so much a 'those people' thing as a 'original definition of the word' thing, but there's been a lot of Discourse around it recently, much of which seems to have been spawned by terfs trying to make it trans-sexist which is some bullshit.

I am also bisexual, and I am also of the firm understanding that that means 'attracted to people of all genders'.

OwlFancier posted:

I was wondering a bit about that too, I understood bisexual to be what is apparently now pansexuality?

I mean pansexual makes sense cos if I don't believe in binary gender then it seems like a better word, but I had hitherto thought pansexuality was like, being attracted to rocks or something.

The terms seem to have moved while I wasn't looking.
I hadn't heard of pansexuality until a lot of time had passed after I figured out my own sexuality. The way I look at it is that there's monosexuality and bisexuality, and that whether one is attracted to ones own gender and/or any other gender is what decides where one falls on that spectrum (as opposed to a boolean choice).
I'm not married to the position, but it seems to work for me.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
bisexual was coined before the common understanding of gender expanded to include nonbinary definitions so yeah in practice it means the same thing as pansexual

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

They'll lob Brimstones at hospitals and power stations from over Saudi and claim that it's basically Battle Of Britain 2.

If they're in Brimstone range, they're in Iranian SAM range. Those things are really nasty.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Darth Walrus posted:

If they're in Brimstone range, they're in Iranian SAM range. Those things are really nasty.

Corrected, Storm Shadow is the missile I was thinking of but got my "Guaranteed to make Clancy's corpse pop a boner" names confused.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I don't like that the NEC statement puts the referendum campaign decision "following the election of a Labour government". The only sensible times to decide are now and after a Labour government has negotiated a deal.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

thespaceinvader posted:

AFAIK that's not so much a 'those people' thing as a 'original definition of the word' thing, but there's been a lot of Discourse around it recently, much of which seems to have been spawned by terfs trying to make it trans-sexist which is some bullshit.

I am also bisexual, and I am also of the firm understanding that that means 'attracted to people of all genders'.

Yeah so I'm bi and I came out to some of my wife's friends at dinner the other day and they're basically the first people I've ever told that other than my wife and a girl I was seeing before her. Feels good. I've told you lot but you're internet people and therefore not real.

Also yeah as far as I'm concerned it means "attracted to people of all genders". I'm more attracted to women though, and heavily hetero-romantic as I can only picture myself being in a relationship with a woman. Couldn't really tell you why, just some people who aren't bi might not realise that's a thing.

As for the schools thing, I went to a grammar, it was good for me because it was the first time I felt like I was being at all challenged by school. I'm a massive underachiever though so only did "ok" at my GCSEs compared to most of my peers and then hosed it off to go start working at 16 'cause nobody in my family had been to uni and most didn't do A-levels and it was never really impressed upon me as important. I went back a few years later and did a foundation year and a year of a degree before dropping out, continuing my under-achiever streak. Also weirdly for a grammar it mostly wasn't full of poshos. There were a few for sure but they were sort of their own clique for the most part (though actually many of those who had wealthier parents were surprisingly human and decent people), and most of everybody else was sound. I guess all the real poshos got sent off to private school - I grew up in Buckingham which is near Stowe (£36k/year). To be fair I hung around with a few kids from Stowe for a bit and they were sound enough too (but some of their mates were right twats) - I think this was probably a self-selecting thing because the guys I knew I met from being "bike lads" tearing around the place on our bikes at some of the local spots, and I think it's a somewhat universal thing that "bike lads" are sound.

Anyway my view is abolish private schools and at least the existing structure of grammar schools too. It's tricky for me with the grammar thing because my wife grew up in an area where grammar schools weren't a thing and said she'd have loved to have had the chance to go to one because she went to a really lovely comprehensive and got badly bullied for being a "nerd" and stuff, because she actually wanted to learn. She got into Cambridge by working her arse off anyway (her parents are a postie and a teaching assistant so no familial wealth there) - again the friends she made there are sound but there's definitely more of a slant to the middle class - one is the child of two doctors, for example - again he's a really lovely guy and somehow not a Tory but still.

Part of this is solved by just making all schools better but it could still be a beneficial thing to split kids who actually want to learn off from those who can't be bothered IMO (but not separating by wealth) - this is not a strongly held belief and I am willing to be convinced that this is a bad idea.

E: Yeah I guess I'm "Pansexual", which means I'm attracted to half-man half-goat gods of the wild.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Sep 23, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Qwertycoatl posted:

I don't like that the NEC statement puts the referendum campaign decision "following the election of a Labour government". The only sensible times to decide are now and after a Labour government has negotiated a deal.

The second one's what they're saying. They intend a relatively fast turnaround from election to deal negotiation to referendum.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Oh what I originally came here to post before getting distracted was this:

https://twitter.com/docrussjackson/status/1176180112909328384?s=20

Laura K just outright lying about how things went down at conference, with a video showing how things actually went. Mindblowing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Is anyone pushing for the labour government to be officially neutral, with members afforded free reign to campaign how they want?

Cos I still think that's the only appropriate option even if I'd rather remain.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

WhatEvil posted:

Oh what I originally came here to post before getting distracted was this:

https://twitter.com/docrussjackson/status/1176180112909328384?s=20

Laura K just outright lying about how things went down at conference, with a video showing how things actually went. Mindblowing.

I was there. She's talking about Composite 13, the push to adopt a Remain position, which was close and did get the chair confused, requiring her to speak to her tellers and Jenny Formby. The video is of Composite 14, Corbyn's bill for a neutral Brexit referendum, which passed a few minutes afterwards with a more convincing show of hands.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Sep 23, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Fair warning, but with it looking increasingly likely that Labour winning a majority at the next general election isn't going to happen, I'm going back onto my poo poo. Which is to say a mix of relentless pessimist by way of a self-defence mechanism and repeating that the Parliamentary Road to Socialism doesn't exist and the only way we'll get what we want is a word that begins with r and ends with evolution.