Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for arguing with my wife over her preferring to sleep with a body pillow over me?

Not the body pillow story i was expecting

Either this guy did a really bad job of explaining his feelings of loneliness and lack of validation (rather than jumping straight into accusations) or his wife kinda sucks/is too tired from having a baby to care. This is such a minor thing, you can just say "I feel bad because of _____, is there a compromise we can reach?", and if your partner doesn't suck they'll recognize that your feelings are valid and real. But of course the kind of person who runs to Reddit to assess whether or not they're an rear end in a top hat probably doesn't communicate that well in person.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Get an abortion and a divorce.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

ad090 posted:

AITA for calling out my father's other woman in front of her son and class?

Good god, she just murdered that woman in cold blood. I applaud this girl

Xik posted:

I was so convinced this story was going somewhere else I opened those imgur links in a private tab.

Pillow looks comfortable as gently caress though.

I want one myself. It looks so soft

NecroBob
Jul 29, 2003
It blows my mind to think dad and mistress teacher thought that was a good idea. Teens drive their own to kill themselves.

The gently caress did you think they were going to do to your sad mid-life crisis rear end.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Cognac McCarthy posted:

Either this guy did a really bad job of explaining his feelings of loneliness and lack of validation (rather than jumping straight into accusations) or his wife kinda sucks/is too tired from having a baby to care. This is such a minor thing, you can just say "I feel bad because of _____, is there a compromise we can reach?", and if your partner doesn't suck they'll recognize that your feelings are valid and real. But of course the kind of person who runs to Reddit to assess whether or not they're an rear end in a top hat probably doesn't communicate that well in person.

guy probably is a big time cuddler and is upset his wife realized that body pillows are more comfortable than sleeping scrunched up with another person

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
It was a few pages back but man the AAM photoshop boss story is so enthralling. It’s sad that the woman feels the need to take such drastic measures, but also... really want to see those pictures.

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

Pirate Radar posted:

It was a few pages back but man the AAM photoshop boss story is so enthralling. It’s sad that the woman feels the need to take such drastic measures, but also... really want to see those pictures.

Before:

After:

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DemoneeHo posted:

Not the body pillow story i was expecting

Not kidding, that pillow looks amazing.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

AITA because I babysat for a Reds fan and taught his kid "Go Cubs Go"
I need more AITA posts like this; he's totally an rear end in a top hat, but it's as hilarious as it is harmless.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

I, like many of you, enjoy the open relationship self own stories. Anyone remember the one where the wife suggests to open the relationship and the husband reluctantly agrees. Shortly after the husband just starts railing through multiple trans partners, leaving the wife confused and speechless.
Anyway, I've been catching up on the thread since I've been away. Here's content.

My boyfriend [24 M] (1 1/2 years) gets anxious when trying new foods. I [24 F] want to help him, but want to make sure I'm not going to far. Would also like advice and tips.

quote:

My boyfriend (24M) gets very anxious when trying new foods or when eating foods he does not like. The only vegetable he likes is fried okra, and if we ever go to a friend's place for dinner, he needs to know what's on the menu to avoid "embarrassment". He gets really anxious when trying new/exotic foods in front of people, partly because when he does have new food he starts gagging.

He's white, and I'm half white/half Nicaraguan. My mom makes a lot of central american meals, and he worries that if he ever has one of her meals, he'll gag and be embarrassed. I recently made my favorite childhood meal for the first time, called Arroz a la Valenciana. I have a rule where he has to at least try a bite before saying he doesn't like a meal, even though I know he doesn't look forward to it. He took a bite and gagged, but was able to swallow. He said the meal was okay and that he would have more of it, but psychologically he knows the meal has things he doesn't like (olives, green peppers, capers, yada, yada, yada), so it's like his mind makes him gag anyways. Which is a very unpleasant experience, and makes him not want to try more.

Later this week I offered my meal again as a possible dinner (it's still in the fridge, and I got a ton left). He ended up saying no, and I could tell he felt bad (I was kinda guilt tripping, saying that "how are you ever gonna get over this if you don't try", although a bit more tactfully). I asked him why he was said, and assured him that I wasn't let down and that no matter what I loved him, but he said he was disappointed in himself.

I really wanna help him. I love him so much, and I understand how anxiety sucks (I have social anxiety, it's a fuckin' pain in the rear end and really gets in the way of living a happy life). I want him to know that I don't care about something like this, and he does know. But I also want to help him get over it. I know he feels embarrassed/sad about himself when we go to a friend's house, and he starts getting anxious because he doesn't know what they will serve there. I also am proud and love the hispanic food my family makes, and it's important to me that he at least gives those foods a chance. He tries his best, but I know it's tough for him, and I just want to help him.

The Plan:

I have a plan for this weekend (when we don't have the added stress of work). I want to challenge him to eat at least a cup (or a half) of my food, then if he does, I'll take him out to eat where ever he wants to go, on my tab. Price is no matter. I feel like it would help him feel proud of himself, and reinforce eating new foods. Kind of like exposure therapy. I'm wondering if this is too harsh though, and would like some advice. Is this a bad idea? Also, are there other/better ways to help him get over his anxiety? Thanks for any advice guys!

TL;DR - My boyfriend has anxiety over trying new foods, to the point of gagging. I want to help him by letting him have a small meal of something foreign (about a cup or a half), and then reinforce him with a meal out to anywhere he wants to go. Please let me know if this sounds too harsh, and if there are other way to help his anxiety.

Oh, and by the way, I do plan on telling my boyfriend my plan. I just wanted to hear about opinions/ideas before hand, in case this is too harsh and if there are other ways to go about this. Hopefully he'll be up for whatever plan is best, but that is totally up to him, and I understand I can't make him do things. I just to want help him not feel disappointed in himself and let him know there are ways to help or get over his anxiety.

Three Olives
Apr 10, 2005

Not a single fucking olive in sight

luxury handset posted:

guy probably is a big time cuddler and is upset his wife realized that body pillows are more comfortable than sleeping scrunched up with another person

The two greatest things that ever happened to my relationship are a king size bed and the introduction of the "divider pillow" between our sleeping areas which is a normal sized pillow places vertically between our king sized pillows.

He just sounds needy, people need their sleep and as much as I love cuddling I need some loving space to sleep.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

I sympathize with gag guy, I used to have that reaction to raw tomatoes and my dipshit babysitter tried to force me to eat them anyway.

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

My boyfriend [24 M] (1 1/2 years) gets anxious when trying new foods. I [24 F] want to help him, but want to make sure I'm not going to far. Would also like advice and tips.

Taco Bell as a training regiment.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
timothy mouse is loving "fingerblast that little turd" level quality storytelling imho

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for changing my boyfriends shower gel to a more ‘masculine’ one?

My boyfriend and I are both 28. We’ve been together for 3 years and he’s always been a smoker.

Over the past 6 months he’s stopped smoking. This means obviously he smells completely different To how he used to and unfortunately the shower gel he uses is so strong that it’s all I can smell on him anymore. He doesn’t wear cologne much so it’s just this jarring plasticy sweet stench.

Our bathroom smells of it and it makes me sick, but on his skin it amplifies and it smells like straight up cotton candy vomit. For anyone wondering what it isit’s a fairly cult product it’s called snow fairy by lush. He boards that poo poo because his mom used to buy it for him and it makes him feel like a kid. Apparently people go nuts over it.

Like I say, the smell is so so strong and I haven’t got used to it. Yesterday I finally gave up and figured I’d leave a new shower product in there for him to try- just a generic axe one as I wasn’t sure how it would go down.

I took his usual one and put it away into the drawer where all our doubles / back ups go. He came out the shower furious with me and told me I was loving with him and it wasn’t fair that I want him to smell differently etc. I was completely shocked and just said... dude... the shower gel was in the cabinet where you KNOW there are other ones of your favorite in there too so you wasn’t forced to use it you know? I left it in there in case you wanted to give it a whirl.

I really feel like I didn’t nothing wrong, he feels like I’m pushing gender stereotypes on him, I just don’t want my bf to constantly smell of rotting sweet candy, that’s all!

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

AITA for being offended by a birthday present?

I’ve been really good friends with this guy (call him Mark) for well over a year now. It’s at the point where are each other’s closest friend. We always discuss our interests and things we like, and we generally really enjoy each other’s company.

For the his birthday, which was a few months ago, I made him a really nice home cooked meal, and got him several thoughtful presents related to his interests (namely animals and cartoons).

My birthday was a few weeks ago, and just the other day, Mark got around to getting me a birthday present. Instead of something meaningful or related to my interests, he bought me a dildo. His reasoning was that because I’m gay, I should like it. That was the only present. He didn’t even act at all like it was a gag gift, and he was completely serious when I opened it. For added context, Mark is straight.

I just can’t help but feel hurt. It feels like Mark doesn’t care about getting me something meaningful, and hasn’t been paying attention at all when I talked about things I enjoy. I think if he was listening even the slightest bit to me since we’ve known each other, he would have a decent idea of what he could get me.

Simply put, I am hurt, because the gift was insulting, inappropriate, and clearly not meant as a joke. On the other hand, I can’t help but wonder if this gift was given in a nice way and I’m just ungrateful.

AITA?

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for changing my boyfriends shower gel to a more ‘masculine’ one?

What, talk with him? Like some sort of human? Why would I do that?

If he was smoking for so long I suspect he's gone a bit nose-dead (does that persist after stopping?) and doesn't realize how strong it is.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for being offended by a birthday present?

I’ve been really good friends with this guy (call him Mark) for well over a year now. It’s at the point where are each other’s closest friend. We always discuss our interests and things we like, and we generally really enjoy each other’s company.

For the his birthday, which was a few months ago, I made him a really nice home cooked meal, and got him several thoughtful presents related to his interests (namely animals and cartoons).

My birthday was a few weeks ago, and just the other day, Mark got around to getting me a birthday present. Instead of something meaningful or related to my interests, he bought me a dildo. His reasoning was that because I’m gay, I should like it. That was the only present. He didn’t even act at all like it was a gag gift, and he was completely serious when I opened it. For added context, Mark is straight.

I just can’t help but feel hurt. It feels like Mark doesn’t care about getting me something meaningful, and hasn’t been paying attention at all when I talked about things I enjoy. I think if he was listening even the slightest bit to me since we’ve known each other, he would have a decent idea of what he could get me.

Simply put, I am hurt, because the gift was insulting, inappropriate, and clearly not meant as a joke. On the other hand, I can’t help but wonder if this gift was given in a nice way and I’m just ungrateful.

AITA?

Ok I genuinely cringed at this.

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
It’s so lovely.

snergle
Aug 3, 2013

A kind little mouse!

ad090 posted:

lol owned but what kind of school lets the parent teach their child like theres no kind of conflict of interest. this kid in my highschool had to transfer to a different highschool because his dad taught the computer classes he wanted to take.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

snergle posted:

lol owned but what kind of school lets the parent teach their child like theres no kind of conflict of interest. this kid in my highschool had to transfer to a different highschool because his dad taught the computer classes he wanted to take.

I went to a HS like that. My principal was caught cheating on his wife with not ONLY the head of the English department, but also a parent of a student. The principal came to my district after something similar happened in his previous one, apparently.

This was all found out when the husband of the cheating wife hired a PI and it was quite messy.

What sucks is that he was actually a decent principal and the poor student who had to contend with the principal loving his mom was insanely nice.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

snergle posted:

Definitely varies according to the folks involved. One of my classmates was in her mother's English class, and both I and another classmate had substitute teacher parents so we'd see them a few times a year. Small district in the middle of nowhere, you go with the scheduling that works.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Lazyhound posted:

It’s so lovely.

Most people wash them after use.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Beachcomber posted:

Most people wash them after use.

I thought they had to be seasoned, like a cast iron skillet?

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

spacetoaster posted:

Paging Cumshitter to the thread, please report with best sex toy seasoning tips- do I go with shortening, or will vegetable oil do?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

spacetoaster posted:

That's for these:

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

My husband (27M) of 2 years has very strange ideas about preferences and I'm (21F) completely baffled.

quote:

Recently, my husband and I were lying in bed while on family vacation and, I don't remember what we were talking about, but he accused me of being lazy and weak because I go out of my way to try to be comfortable instead of welcoming suffering. He went on this long rant about how he was an Eagle scout, and one of the most important things they learned was to do something just because it needed to be done, without having to be asked.

And I was just baffled and confused because I did EVERYTHING in our household. I bring in the money. I cook for him (he's offered to help once, and came in and stirred the pot exactly once before calling it good). I clean whenever there is something to be cleaned. I get up in the middle of the night at 5 AM to massage his back when he's being kept awake by back pain. Last winter, I shovelled the entire 150ft length of our drive way free of snow while he waited. He gets whatever kind of sex he wants whenever he wants, short of when we're in public

I wracked my brain, and honestly couldn't think of anything else I could possibly be doing for him. So I asked, "What do you want me to do?" And he gave me an answer that I just...can't comprehend.

He said he's complaining because I don't like spicy food and coffee and other things like that. I was like, "You realise people have preferences, right? If I somehow learn to like coffee the most out of any drink, maybe I'll find out after coffee, I really hate apple juice now. What then? Are you going to badger me until I learn to like apple juice? Am I supposed to just like everything equally?"

And his reply was, "Yes. They're like colours in a painting. Each one has its place, and nothing's inferior to the other." And then he started going off about how people will lost respect for me and think of me like a child because I don't like certain foods.

I've been thinking about it and thinking about it and I just...is this a thing, people? Am I the weird one? Does everyone just like everything equally? Have you ever decided to not be friends with someone because they consistently never ordered coffee?

I'm just really confused, and I don't even know where to change. I can barely grasp what liking everything equally would be like. Am I just supposed to roll a dice every time I order food?

TL;DR: Husband said he's losing respect for me because I have certain preferences for food and drinks. Wants me to like everything equally. I have no idea how that works.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

My husband (27M) of 2 years has very strange ideas about preferences and I'm (21F) completely baffled.

Every Eagle Scout I ever met was a total rear end in a top hat who put on a good show when the adults were around.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Stop doing any chores and if he complains tell him that he should just do it because it needs to be done. If he doesn't advise him he is weak and you're going to go find a stronger man lol.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Comment posted:

Does he cheer you up when you're down? Does he support you? Does he compliment you and make you feel good about yourself?Does he do things just to make you smile? Does he apologise when he is wrong? Does he take initiative when chores need to be done around the house?

OP posted:

Yes to everything except the last one. If someone needs done, he usually comes and tells me, and then I go do it.

OP posted:

We're not having kids until he agrees to help out in raising them. He likes children, but he hates babies. And when I asked him what he's going to do while the baby grows up, he said he was going to just foist the kid off on his dad until it's learned to walk and talk. And I shut him down and told him I'm not having a baby unless he's raising it WITH me.

I'm 21 and married an older man that contributes literally nothing to this marriage what should I do? Also he wants kids but has already said he isn't going to put in any effort.

I mean :iiam: with this one.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Beachcomber posted:

Every Eagle Scout I ever met was a total rear end in a top hat who put on a good show when the adults were around.

Saved: 9/23/2019 9:50:50 PM
a
This doesn't surprise me at all.

I was only in cub and boy scouts for a few years, but every eagle scout I met was on the spectrum.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Who are these women that do everything and pay for everything and put up with these ultra-weird men

In todays society women can pick and choose so how do they end up with so many fuckin' weirdos like coffee hitler over there

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Man likes to wake up and enjoy a cup of master roast

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Collapsing Farts posted:

Who are these women that do everything and pay for everything and put up with these ultra-weird men

Remember the golden rule - don’t picture any of the people in these stories as good looking and it starts to make more sense.

Also a lot women get a double dose of ‘being treated like poo poo is normal’ during their upbringing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for cancelling my leaving meal due to low attendance, only to find it was a ruse to surprise me with high attendance, cancelled anyway

This person is 110% NTA. Leaning in on someone's insecurities like that and then expecting them to roll with it is a lovely move.

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

WIBTA for throwing a surprise wedding?

It's been a few weeks since I found out my sister was stealing my wedding plans, so we have changed our plans.

We have 2 plans, one is the original planned wedding but rescheduled. We have a second plan we're leaning towards but it may be a bit morally dubious.

The second plan is the surprise wedding. We're having an engagement party at our place (29/10), that all of the key people we wanted to come have RSVPd to already, and they all said they'd be there. We made the dress code casual, so even if someone turned up in jeans and a t shirt they wouldn't look out of place. It would be fairly warm/light outside still and we could do a barbecue. We recently did up the garden, we have hired a marquee, and a solid (removable) dance floor to put on the grass, as all of these were elements of our engagement party to begin with.

But we could turn it into a surprise backyard wedding with a few changes. We also have access to the flowers and party favours, we have suitable clothing, and a friend already offered us their photography skills for the engagement party. We aren't having a religious ceremony, one of our close friends who is coming will be officiating, and we have the marriage certificate ready whenever we want it.

However, we want people to have a good time first and foremost. We know it's our day, but if people are upset/uncomfortable/generally miserable then it will be decidedly less fun. While we know the people who are coming, and we know they love us, we are still worried that if they thought they were coming to an engagement party and it turned into a wedding ceremony, this might not go over very well. We're worried that no matter how casual we set the dress code, people won't be thrilled to find out they're at a wedding in jeans and a t shirt, even though we wouldn't care, and there are certain things that people do before attending a wedding that they don't do for an engagement party. There's also the matter of us doing most things DIY, eg the barbecue with paper plates instead of a sit down meal, and the outdoor setting rather than indoors (although we'd open up the house for people who wanted to go inside everything would be going on in the garden). There's also the factor of kids, as several guests are parents and we wanted to invite them to the original wedding but were worried about the formality of it, while with this we could set up some lawn games and let the kids run around, which could be a good or bad thing depending on whether our guests like kids, which we think most of them do.

We might be overthinking this, but feel the need to check. Would we be the arseholes for inviting guests to an engagement party and then turning it into a wedding with no warning?

​INFO: In regards to her "stealing the wedding plans" - She proposed to her boyfriend the day after we announced our engagement. She was my maid of honour so I let her in on all my plans. She bought an identical dress to mine (although mine is in cream while hers is in ivory) and she bought it after she helped me pick mine out. The flowers are white and rainbow roses, which is an inside joke my future wife and I have had since our first date and my sister and her future husband think they "look nice", and also chose this after we did. She also got the same venue as me, the same cake, the same centerpieces, the same colour scheme, the same caterer with the same menu and a few other things. We're twins and she loves pushing the twin thing, but I just want a bit more separation now we're older. We planned to get married mid December, so this would only be moving it up a couple months, and Sis is getting married mid November, so any later and it would clash with her wedding, but if we postponed our original wedding, we'd be talking pushing it back a year. It's not just to get married first, but if we can just have the flowers without looking like we're copying, then we'll be satisfied, because as her groom is homophobic, we feel that having our flowers after they had them would taint it.

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

mllaneza posted:

Not kidding, that pillow looks amazing.

Maybe if Nami from one piece was printed on it.

Sierra Nevadan
Nov 1, 2010

Just get married at the courthouse, and then throw the kegger in your backyard.

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse
AITA for coming into work grossly sick, and not avoiding spreading my germs, because I don't get sick days?
I am a high schooler and i work for a family business. The father is the manager, with his wife the second in command. A lot of other family members, children, cousins, the parent's siblings work there too.

Only me and another high school girl are not part of the family. And it's blatantly obvious were treated differently. If a family member is sick, the others will take their shifts and give them a free day off. Or even make me and the other girl who aren't in the family take their shift.

But if she or i are sick, they won't swap shifts with us, they won't do anything to accommodate, their policy is that they don't do sick days, and that we can use our PTO if we really need it. But we only have 10 days PTO a year and generally have other plans for it.

So me and the other girl have started not using our PTO when sick, but instead coming in and not trying to keep our germs to ourselves.

I'd usually be really careful about what I touch, how I need to use lots of purell, how close I get to others, when I'm sick. But at work, I'll skip the purell, wipe my nose on my sleeves, touch stuff without caring, stand close to my manager to talk, etc. My friend from work does the same.

Since we've been doing that, about 6 months ago, each time a cold has come around, it spreads like hell though the office instead of dying out.

AITA for not trying to avoid getting the family I work for sick, because they don't give me and the other non-family employee sick leave?

Edit - for those saying to speak up instead of being passive aggressive... Last person who did was fired. And he said his bit in a really polite respectful way too.

Also, we don't work with food or with customers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

ad090 posted:

:drat:

Cruel but fair.