Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Skwirl posted:

Is there any game that both has a fun car driving section and cars aren't the main focus of the game?

The superhero Saints Row keeps all the silly car stuff from the others but you never need to use a car except in a couple of side missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

ImpAtom posted:

The Batmobile was amazing because they actually admitted prior to Arkham Knight they couldn't think of a way to make the Batmobile fun but it was the #1 most requested thing and whoops, turns out that it isn't actually that fun to Batmobile.

The loving battle against the Arkham Knight after he launched the cloudburst poo poo or whatever was the loving worst.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

A tank sneaking mission

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Codependent Poster posted:

A tank sneaking mission

I am pretty sure I have PTSD from the Knight shrieking "I CAN SEE YOU BATMAN" or whatever as you slide between corners every four seconds.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Skwirl posted:

Is there any game that both has a fun car driving section and cars aren't the main focus of the game?

I think the problem with driving in open world games is that it's very, very easy to get off course, at which point you either trigger a fail state (not fun) or realize that you have all the time in the world to get where you're going (relatively fun, but undercuts the hell out of any stakes or tension).

I kind of wonder why there's no open world games where, instead of a bunch of super authored checkpoints and mission objectives, you have really vague objectives which you are free to pursue in any number of crazy ways. Sort of like the Hitman formula, but writ large(er)

(Probably because the amount of budget necessary to create a decent open world is directly at odds with the kind of experimental "Let's see if it works!" kind of systemic game design that could result in such a thing)

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

OnimaruXLR posted:

I think the problem with driving in open world games is that it's very, very easy to get off course, at which point you either trigger a fail state (not fun) or realize that you have all the time in the world to get where you're going (relatively fun, but undercuts the hell out of any stakes or tension).

I kind of wonder why there's no open world games where, instead of a bunch of super authored checkpoints and mission objectives, you have really vague objectives which you are free to pursue in any number of crazy ways. Sort of like the Hitman formula, but writ large(er)

(Probably because the amount of budget necessary to create a decent open world is directly at odds with the kind of experimental "Let's see if it works!" kind of systemic game design that could result in such a thing)

There are games like that but they run into the same kind of problem Hitman does but on a larger scale: A significant portion of the playerbase will zoom right for the easiest solution regardless of how fun it is.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

OnimaruXLR posted:

We have MGS5

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Codependent Poster posted:

A tank sneaking mission

I still cannot believe that after Origins Deathstroke fight, that your rematch in Knight is a stealth tank mission.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

catlord posted:

I still cannot believe that after Origins Deathstroke fight, that your rematch in Knight is a stealth tank mission.

That was easily the biggest disappointment of the game.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The only good thing about the Batmobile in Knight was the ridiculous justification they gave for why hitting people with it doesn't kill them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Roth posted:

The only good thing about the Batmobile in Knight was the ridiculous justification they gave for why hitting people with it doesn't kill them.

Because being hit by a jet-powered car going 150 MPH will be completely safe if it electrocutes you first.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Both playstation and xbox have directs tomorrow afternoon, so we'll get a trailer soon.

Batman: Arkham Court

I know it's not what you mean, but now I'm picturing Ace Attorney with the Batman dramatis personae and it is quite droll.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

ImpAtom posted:

The Batmobile was amazing because they actually admitted prior to Arkham Knight they couldn't think of a way to make the Batmobile fun but it was the #1 most requested thing and whoops, turns out that it isn't actually that fun to Batmobile.

The publisher basically forced them to focus so much on it. If it was just something you drove around in between missions sometimes and used for a couple puzzles (which was actually neat), and like maybe a chase sequence or two, it wouldn't have beeen so loving horrible. Challenge races, boss fights, tank combat, that's where it became unbearable.

Making it a tank was really horrible in and of itself, too.

Skwirl posted:

The Batmobile sections in the Lego games are fun, because they're kept at a minimum.

Samovar posted:

I know it's not what you mean, but now I'm picturing Ace Attorney with the Batman dramatis personae and it is quite droll.

Hey, I'd play a Harvey Dent prequel with Ace Attorney gameplay.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Sep 24, 2019

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Origins was really dull, so I don't have high hopes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought Origins had some of the best combat in the series, the bosses weren't all fun but they were certainly better efforts than "and now fight 60 mooks because we don't know how to make a fun boss fight". The dullest part was the writing, because Batman was even more of a stubborn one dimensional rear end in a top hat than in City.

The stealth sections were kinda weak, but not as weak as the Arkham Knight ones.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Arkham combat system just wasn't made for a one on one boss fight, but they sure did try with Origins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Oh yeah, I just remembered the Mad Max game exists and has arkham's melee system and car combat that's a million times more satisfying than the batmobile "don't stand in the red lines" stuff.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
The Adventures of Bayou Billy had driving, shooting AND side scrolling action! Which were all terrible

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Roth posted:

The Arkham combat system just wasn't made for a one on one boss fight, but they sure did try with Origins.

I mean the Mr. Freeze fight is the best fight in the series, it's just pretty much impossible to make that lightning strike twice

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Funny you mention MGS5.

During the game Huey builds this thing called Battle Gear. It gets a cool cutscene and theme music.

It is never seen for the rest of the game, being something you just deploy for resource generation and nothing else.

Supposedly it was designed and put into the game, but taken out because it was too broken. From the sounds of it, it would have worked like the Batmobile from Arkham Knight where it has a driving mode and a fighting mode.
I would have loved to see how it worked.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

Roth posted:

It was really good as a way to launch Batman into the air. Otherwise yeah...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Retro Futurist posted:

I mean the Mr. Freeze fight is the best fight in the series, it's just pretty much impossible to make that lightning strike twice

Yeah but you don't fight him with the melee combat system.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Lurdiak posted:

I thought Origins had some of the best combat in the series, the bosses weren't all fun but they were certainly better efforts than "and now fight 60 mooks because we don't know how to make a fun boss fight". The dullest part was the writing, because Batman was even more of a stubborn one dimensional rear end in a top hat than in City.

The stealth sections were kinda weak, but not as weak as the Arkham Knight ones.

Which platform did you play it on? I was on PC and for some reason I found the combat in the main campaign to be really iffy. But in Cold, Cold Heart and the challenge maps it felt good, so I don't know what the deal with that was.

Oh, I do hope that this doesn't use Origin's upgrade system, that was pretty bad how you could completely block yourself off from upgrades by accident.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Retro Futurist posted:

That uses the stealth though, not the freeflow combat.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Both playstation and xbox have directs tomorrow afternoon, so we'll get a trailer soon.

Batman: Arkham Court

Turns out both presentations had nothing.

New game by the katamari damacy guy tho

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/DAIROCKETTO/status/1175534707422793728

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Me too

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I wonder if Rocksteady have been sitting around a white board for the last six years that has "1 V 1 FIGHTS--HOW TO MAKE GOOD????" written on it, with the entire team making various confused English faces

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

The Deathstroke fight is the best part of Origins largely because it knew the mechanics wouldn't support it so it focused on spectacle. It's also the only good part of Origins.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

I wonder if Rocksteady have been sitting around a white board for the last six years that has "1 V 1 FIGHTS--HOW TO MAKE GOOD????" written on it, with the entire team making various confused English faces

A lot of games have ripped off Arkham's combat by now, and all of them did a better job at 1v1 fights than Rocksteady. It's not rocket science, you give the boss moves that interrupt your combos.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The problems of boss fights in Arkham are that the combat is designed to be a fun and challenging system for keeping up combos against a big group and that Batman villains are not generally supposed to be boxing opponents for him.

Lurdiak posted:

A lot of games have ripped off Arkham's combat by now, and all of them did a better job at 1v1 fights than Rocksteady. It's not rocket science, you give the boss moves that interrupt your combos.

Which ones are you thinking of? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Lobok posted:

The problems of boss fights in Arkham are that the combat is designed to be a fun and challenging system for keeping up combos against a big group and that Batman villains are not generally supposed to be boxing opponents for him.

Sure, a straight boss fight against like, The Riddler or The Mad Hatter seems pointless, but even those guys could have some kind of gimmick that isn't just calling a million mooks. Batman's had so many fun fights against all kinds of enemies in the comics, it shouldn't be so hard to translate that to a video game.

Lobok posted:

Which ones are you thinking of? Not saying you're wrong, just curious.

The biggest and best example is the Shadow of Mordor/War games. You're almost never fighting the orc captains one on one, but they're a completely different beast than even the strongest mooks, they have special moves, auto-counter some of your moveset, have a bunch of health, fly into rages, etc. There's other orcs to contend with but it never feels like the mooks are standing in for the boss fight. And when you do get to fight them mano-y-orco, they still put up a good fight.

Mad Max reused the same enemy for all of their optional raider boss fights but it was a decently interesting fight as well, the guy hit like a truck and swung wildly and blocked various attacks. He didn't feel like just a regular enemy with more health.

Then you have the Hand of Fate games, which have traditionally "video gamey" bosses that just have annoying patterns and telegraphs and glowing weak spots, but also decent super versions of enemies you're used to fighting, who have more health and unique abilities/resistances.

It's all miles ahead of "dodge Bane's charge so he hits a wall".

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 25, 2019

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're all 'mash attack until it doesn't work anymore and then dodge until it does.'

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Lurdiak posted:

Sure, a straight boss fight against like, The Riddler or The Mad Hatter seems pointless, but even those guys could have some kind of gimmick that isn't just calling a million mooks. Batman's had so many fun fights against all kinds of enemies in the comics, it shouldn't be so hard to translate that to a video game.

Oh I don't think Batman villains can't be translated to fun boss fights, just that the combination of most of his villains and the specific Arkham combat makes for the classic videogame problem of "hey, forget all that stuff you've been doing the rest of the game cuz it's boss time so here's entirely new mechanics and rules to work with". Which the Arkham games needed to accept and embrace and go a lot further with.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Riddler boss fight is just a Zelda dungeon

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Lurdiak posted:

The biggest and best example is the Shadow of Mordor/War games. You're almost never fighting the orc captains one on one, but they're a completely different beast than even the strongest mooks, they have special moves, auto-counter some of your moveset, have a bunch of health, fly into rages, etc. There's other orcs to contend with but it never feels like the mooks are standing in for the boss fight. And when you do get to fight them mano-y-orco, they still put up a good fight.

A Batman game with the revenge system from Shadow of Mordor/War could be so loving fun.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

RevKrule posted:

A Batman game with the revenge system from Shadow of Mordor/War could be so loving fun.

Just not sure how it would work. Given the whole dying thing.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Either that classic "Batman didn't die because he's Batman" or take a meta angle for it and the writers retcon him coming back to life in a contrived way a week later. Like, when he comes back they go "Oh that was a different universe's Batman" or "that actually sent Batman back in time" or "Lazarus Pit". And it's a different asspull each time you die... until a certain point where the writers run out of ideas they begin to repeat.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Sep 25, 2019

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Just have him grapnel away in shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

MonsterEnvy posted:

DickBatt

He'd probably be better suited for the revenge system, too