Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Yeah Mika kills people brutally but doesn't even have OYW Amuro's total body count by the end of his series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsieurChoc posted:

Is Mika’s kill count higher than Uso’s? Do we have a new reigning champ of mass murder?

Mika doesn't even come close to Amuro.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
My boy’s still king of murder mountain.
:smug:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It also depends what you mean by kills. Just enemies shot down or deaths caused. Carriers would massively inflate some numbers. As would accidental or intentional atrocities. (Hi Gato!)

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, like Mika does engage into fights and whatnot, but he's more like Hei from Darker than Black in that he tries to get the drop on his rivals and finish poo poo up ASAP. Probably the highest on-screen kill count is, what, when he maces the gently caress out of the bridge on Jasley's ship?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
It turns out kill counts massively depend on whether you ca solon kill ships cause that's an easy inflation.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.
Didn't Quatre blow up a space colony?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

ImpAtom posted:

It also depends what you mean by kills. Just enemies shot down or deaths caused. Carriers would massively inflate some numbers. As would accidental or intentional atrocities. (Hi Gato!)

Everyone should just treat Gato like a twerp because he sucks and I hate him a lot

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Not even close. Mike's kill count is probably below most pilots because IBO fights are mostly small scale.

I actually tallied things up once. Across both seasons, Mikazuki got somewhere around a hundred and one on screen Mobile Suit kills, depending on how you tally them up. (Also one ship and one Mobile Armor.)

It's not anywhere near the peak, but (depending on the source) it's not too far from the average, and might even be above Kira or Duo's total on screen kills.

The catch there is that more than a quarter of Mika's kills come from his final rampage. He killed 28 Mobile Suits in that fight. For context, he only took down 33 Mobile Suits in the entire first season.

Moving on to the whole overall scores, the best sources I can quickly find (which are still just fans looking at video and guessing as best they can) gives Uso 141 MS kills, which is a lower total than Amuro and (of all people) Trowa, but higher than anyone else, putting Uso at the best single series on screen total.

(Guidebooks put Amuro at 142 for the One Year War, for whatever that's worth.)

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Didn't Quatre blow up a space colony?

An empty colony, however that works, and a mining satellite.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

chiasaur11 posted:

I actually tallied things up once. Across both seasons, Mikazuki got somewhere around a hundred and one on screen Mobile Suit kills, depending on how you tally them up. (Also one ship and one Mobile Armor.)

It's not anywhere near the peak, but (depending on the source) it's not too far from the average, and might even be above Kira or Duo's total on screen kills.

The catch there is that more than a quarter of Mika's kills come from his final rampage. He killed 28 Mobile Suits in that fight. For context, he only took down 33 Mobile Suits in the entire first season.

Moving on to the whole overall scores, the best sources I can quickly find (which are still just fans looking at video and guessing as best they can) gives Uso 141 MS kills, which is a lower total than Amuro and (of all people) Trowa, but higher than anyone else, putting Uso at the best single series on screen total.

Yeah, but Uso also had that time he destroyed an entire fleet by using the dick cannon.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
The wings on the V2 Gundam were also pretty cool and Uso mowed folks down using it.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

They showed off a couple more armor packs for the Core Gundam, and I think it's gonna end up doing the Age Gundam's gimmick better than the Age Gundam

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Trowa isn't that surprising: Aside from Quatre, the Gundam Pilots weren't exactly shy about merking people, and of all of them, he probably threw the most ammunition down range and had the suit most adapted to stock footage targeting lots of enemies.

Also, are kills defined as "killed the pilot?" Because that can make Wing's numbers really screwy, and also pretty solidly deflates Kira.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

They showed off a couple more armor packs for the Core Gundam, and I think it's gonna end up doing the Age Gundam's gimmick better than the Age Gundam

I looked this up and it has a variation called "Veetwo Gundam" which just feels needlessly complex. This is the FAZZ all over again!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

ImpAtom posted:

I looked this up and it has a variation called "Veetwo Gundam" which just feels needlessly complex. This is the FAZZ all over again!

The expansions that have been named so far are Veetwo, Earthree, and Marsfour

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Kill counts are impressive for Wing pilots considering the 2nd half of the show is just mobile dolls.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Warmachine posted:

Also, are kills defined as "killed the pilot?" Because that can make Wing's numbers really screwy, and also pretty solidly deflates Kira.

My dumb Wing kill count question is if we can count Dorothy directly controlling the mobile dolls using the Zero system towards the end. She's clearly directly using them to kill folks so I'd be tempted to say yes but she's not actually piloting.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Warmachine posted:

Trowa isn't that surprising: Aside from Quatre, the Gundam Pilots weren't exactly shy about merking people, and of all of them, he probably threw the most ammunition down range and had the suit most adapted to stock footage targeting lots of enemies.

In the list I found it was defined as rendering a suit unable to continue combat. Black Knighting a Mobile Suit would count. (As would blowing up a Mobile Doll)

And Trowa was a surprise at the top of the chart because he's a supporting character. It makes sense when you think about it, sure. Wing's five versus the world premise and ample use of stock footage scores a lot of kills for the leads, and Trowa's Gundam is best suited to shots of blowing up crowd, but he's not the first character you'd think of for top Gundam aces.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The expansions that have been named so far are Veetwo, Earthree, and Marsfour

Oh I saw. I just am amused that we now have a Veetwo and V2 Gundam.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

chiasaur11 posted:

In the list I found it was defined as rendering a suit unable to continue combat. Black Knighting a Mobile Suit would count. (As would blowing up a Mobile Doll)

And Trowa was a surprise at the top of the chart because he's a supporting character. It makes sense when you think about it, sure. Wing's five versus the world premise and ample use of stock footage scores a lot of kills for the leads, and Trowa's Gundam is best suited to shots of blowing up crowd, but he's not the first character you'd think of for top Gundam aces.
And now I'm wondering: Which Gundam Ace would be able to last against Maximilian Jenius the longest?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Oh I saw. I just am amused that we now have a Veetwo and V2 Gundam.

Don't forget Second V!

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Wark Say posted:

And now I'm wondering: Which Gundam Ace would be able to last against Maximilian Jenius the longest?

If you mean in equal situations? Maybe Amuro. Max being considered "the best of the best" is something that tends to pass over even into crossovers. There's aren't a lot of pilots who get the same sort of 'holy crap' aura to them as he does. Amuro is one of the very few I think gets that level of treatment.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

I want IBO and Seed to show up in SRW together just so that I can see Kira lose his mind at Mika's love of pilot kills.

Kill the meat, save the metal :unsmigghh:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bloody Pom posted:

I want IBO and Seed to show up in SRW together just so that I can see Kira lose his mind at Mika's love of pilot kills.

Kill the meat, save the metal :unsmigghh:

I mean Kira's already been alongside the Actual Batshit Getter Folks. Mika at least isn't at the licking-blood-off-a-knife stage of murderdom.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

If you mean in equal situations? Maybe Amuro. Max being considered "the best of the best" is something that tends to pass over even into crossovers. There's aren't a lot of pilots who get the same sort of 'holy crap' aura to them as he does. Amuro is one of the very few I think gets that level of treatment.

Yeah, Amuro's the guy who even the insane ace pilots look at and go "Okay, yeah, he's better than me" in Super Robot Wars style crossovers. He's kind of like if Max also had psychic powers. No guarantees either way, but I'd give him a slight edge.

The other guy I'd give a real chance would be Domon, because Domon's kung fu is stronger. But that's less raw piloting skill and more because G Gundam is a show where kicking away a sniper's bullets isn't even enough to make you the toughest guy in the episode.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Wark Say posted:

Cima Garahau, because they'd end up getting married.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Nessus posted:

I'm pretty sure Cima could beat Max in a knife fight.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Kanos posted:

I'm pretty sure Cima could beat Max in a knife fight.
Ah, but she might have lost at the video game stage.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

chiasaur11 posted:

I think that's how the military generally defines kills for kill counts during wars like WWII, where they're painted on the side of vehicles; it's not about killing a person, it's about taking away the combat potential of an enemy and rendering them unable to fight. That's mostly done by killing them, but even a huge space station like the Death Star still counts as one kill. Which is something adhered to in Star Wars EU. At least, the older Legends stuff anyway; not sure about the newer canon. Regardless, Wedge Antilles was the only person to have participated in the climax of both Death Star battles, and had two Death Stars painted on the hull of his X-Wing; but they weren't given any size or visual importance over other kill marks. They were just two more kills.

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, Amuro's the guy who even the insane ace pilots look at and go "Okay, yeah, he's better than me" in Super Robot Wars style crossovers. He's kind of like if Max also had psychic powers. No guarantees either way, but I'd give him a slight edge.

Not that Amuro isn't a great pilot, but I'd put Max ahead of him personally. Max's entire characterization in SDF is basically "yea, he's amazing at everything but also just a cool guy who wants to help everyone", but because he's a secondary character it never gets overwhelming. He's the one that pioneers using the form changes of the variable fighters mid-combat to evade enemy fire and attack from the most beneficial angle, and he does some insane stuff himself. Including flying a Valkyrie inside the corridors of an enemy ship and fighting in otherwise pitch dark by using the sporadic and sparse light from muzzle fire to sense what's going on around him at the very least. Then in 7 he starts pulling insane poo poo using a starship as it's captain instead of a one man fighter; telling the gunner to fire at empty space when there's no indication of enemy movement and then having it hit an incoming fleet because he was able to predict their arrival among other things. He's not an actual space psychic like Amuro, but he might as well be in terms of the things he does at times.

Nessus posted:

Why? Max already has a wife he loves, and Cima isn't nearly as cool as her.

tsob fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Sep 27, 2019

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

If you’re gonna have this argument you gotta lay some pretty strict ground rules, because if Max gets to use his Valkyrie he utterly trounces like half of every mobile suit in existence due to having a superior machine (and that’s before accounting for the fact that he’s so attuned with it that he can actually dress it in giant clothes stealthily) while being utterly unable to touch the other half because they’re armored in various types of bullshittium and valk weaponry is decidedly conventional.

Gotta use tournament rules in your nerdfights, nerds :colbert:

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Psycho Landlord posted:

and valk weaponry is decidedly conventional.

Not really. Hikaru's VF is shot up by several hits in the second episode of SDF and crashes to the ground from combat that is presumably taking place a mile or higher up at combat speed, using it's engines only at the last second to break his fall a bit, before smashing through at least 3 buildings and it has no almost no damage done beyond what the enemy hits did. Hikaru takes multiple missile blasts right to the chest of his unit in the final battle against Boddol's fleet and the only damage is that the arms are taken off, after which he's able to continue fighting and descend through the atmosphere as another example. Variable fighters don't have a named armor specific to their series that is made a big deal out of in the narrative, but they're very, very durable. Their weapons are pretty bullshit too, using either nuclear missiles and/or anit-matter missiles on occasion along with rail-guns that can penetrate said armor using bullets that can be nuclear and/or anti-matter tipped themselves. That they don't use directed energy weapons doesn't preclude them from being bullshit, because they fight enemies using them from the start and have no real problem against them.

If you were going to versus them, then the simplest thing is probably just to put both in identical units that neither are overtly familiar with (presumably something from neither franchise) but are somewhat similar to bothand say they have a bit of time to get used to the units themselves if necessary (though both seem adaptive enough that I doubt they'd need long). I'm not even sure what units would best fit by being kind of like both a mobile suit and a variable fighter, but there's probably something.

tsob fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Sep 27, 2019

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

tsob posted:

Why? Max already has a wife he loves, and Cima isn't nearly as cool as her.
Obviously this is taking place during Macross 7 when they're separated, no doubt in some kind of SRW situation. Cima loses a duel with Max, but then encounters him in an entertainment center on Luna while Londo Bell is refueling... after the knife fight, they get Kai Shiden (legally a priest) to marry them. Later it is annulled and Max is inspired by his adventure in bigamy to mentor Allenby in the next entry in the series.

Obviously

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

tsob posted:

Not really. Hikaru's VF is shot up by several hits in the second episode of SDF and crashes to the ground from combat that is presumably taking place a mile or higher up at combat speed, using it's engines only at the last second to break his fall a bit, before smashing through at least 3 buildings and it has no almost no damage done beyond what the enemy hits did. Hikaru takes multiple missile blasts right to the chest of his unit in the final battle against Boddol's fleet and the only damage is that the arms are taken off, after which he's able to continue fighting and descend through the atmosphere as another example. Variable fighters don't have a named armor specific to their series that is made a big deal out of in the narrative, but they're very, very durable. Their weapons are pretty bullshit too, using either nuclear missiles and/or anit-matter missiles on occasion along with rail-guns that can penetrate said armor using bullets that can be nuclear and/or anti-matter tipped themselves. That they don't use directed energy weapons doesn't preclude them from being bullshit, because they fight enemies using them from the start and have no real problem against them.

Even if we’re just talking VF-1s, they do actually use DEWs - they all have point defense lasers in the head. Later valks went on to have energy weapons in the main armaments.

The gunpod was just a 55mm cannon firing depleted uranium AT rounds, which probably won’t pierce an I-Field or gundanium or (insert thing here)

The missiles were of a small enough yield to be used inside the macross pretty safely and Reaction weapons being allowed in this fight introduces the GP-02 problem so obviously these are banned from the deathmatch.

Also no items, final destination.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Wark Say posted:

Super Newtype Kai Shiden. :v:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Also don't forget that Max canonically has a VF-22, so I doubt he'd be stuck with aging Space War I tech if Amuro gets the Nu Gundam for example.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Ultimately, the only fair robot to use in a SRW skill tournament would be something that truly translates the skill and will of the pilot into results. So, they'd have to fight using some kind of generic mobile-trace-using Gundam from G-Gundam. Or Armed Slaves maybe?

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Are we at the No items, Fox only portion of the conversation?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Does Amuro get his unique Ace Bonus? Because Max has never been in a SRW game (IIRC) that has them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

HitTheTargets posted:

Are we at the No items, Fox only portion of the conversation?
If you want it to. ;)