Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
The Chud/Racist wing of the Republican party was the party. Like it has always been the party. The only difference between now and back then is they were more sneaky about it and not as overt because it allowed them to continue their agenda in public eye.

9/11 allowed it all to come out in the open and opened the floodgates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

"Sand niggers" heavily predated the W years (anyone remember 'Three Kings'?), and despite the general uptick in Islamophobia it was publicly repudiated and clamped down on by the Republican party at the time. The Chud/Racist wing of the party was relatively fringe conversationally at the time, and even people who were massive public racists later (i.e. Michelle Malkin, Pam Geller) generally practiced more decorum and deniability at the time.

Yes it is worse now, but it was also y'know, bad then too. Even if the politicians clamped down on it, chuds aplenty were fine with it. If you didn't witness Islamophobia in those years you either weren't paying attention or lived in a hippie commune.
Trying to argue that it wasn't a big gross attribute of the right wing from those years is insanely revisionist.

I don't even remotely know what point you think you're making by saying the slur was older than 9/11.

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Gatts posted:

I've got a 75 year old "adopted" Jewish uncle/family friend who reminds me part of the reason why Republicans and Conservatism got into power is because people tend to forget or pass on from the memory of what they did before and who they were about so they got a foothold again. The only hope is with media and the internet being what it is, that such poo poo is never forgotten and they lose a generation to kick start a move on.

Watching a bunch of the same shitheads from the Reagen, Bush, and Bush II admins wash through the Trump Whitehouse has been pretty sad - modern media has not been helpful in this way as far as I can tell.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Delta-Wye posted:

Watching a bunch of the same shitheads from the Reagen, Bush, and Bush II admins wash through the Trump Whitehouse has been pretty sad - modern media has not been helpful in this way as far as I can tell.

Agreed. The same shitheads.

You eliminate that by focusing on the clubs/frats/schools these guys come from. Like the religious right fundie schools that Pence or Fallwell would support, the Yale Clubs that Bush or Kerry or whomever would come from. You have to go deeper than just getting them out of Washington and destroying the connections that enable them into power.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
Good to see the ME thread policy of attributing fringe behaviors to the populace at large remains undiminished. Fudruckers serving freedom fries as an example of it being a dominant cultural movement is a joke right? Do you know what Fudruckers is?

Edit: lol toby keith's I love you bar & grill also served freedom fries. How could I have never noticed that Country Superstar Toby Keith's restaurant began serving Freedom Fries?!? There must be dozens of those!

If you said you were against the Iraq war in the little hamlet of progressive thought I am from, New Orleans, people shrugged their shoulders or changed the subject. Even in broader Louisiana the sentiment around the Iraq war was largely one of "eventually doubts about the existence of chemical / nuclear weapons will be proven wrong". The war was not particularly popular from its inception.

Kawasaki Nun fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Sep 28, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Good to see the ME thread policy of attributing fringe behaviors to the populace at large remains undiminished. Fudruckers serving freedom fries as an example of it being a dominant cultural movement is a joke right? Do you know what Fudruckers is?

Taking your own point to its logical conclusion I unfortunately must conclude that you are not an American, or were otherwise not present in the states for the years 2001-2008.
Please stop speaking about internal matters you very obviously had no experience or presence for.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Grape posted:

Taking your own point to its logical conclusion I unfortunately must conclude that you are not an American, or were otherwise not present in the states for the years 2001-2008.
Please stop speaking about internal matters you very obviously had no experience or presence for.

care to draw this out for me like I'm an idiot? I didn't really fully understand your first iteration of this comment either.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Kawasaki Nun posted:

care to draw this out for me like I'm an idiot? I didn't really fully understand your first iteration of this comment either.

america went completely insane during from 02-07. what you call fringe jokes were the dominant cultural mores of the period.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Freedom fries were literally the definition of fringe. Mainstream chains did not go for it and even amongst chuds it was a little embarrassing.

TV and internet articles reflect reality, but they are not reality.

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Sep 28, 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Too bad the conversation moved beyond freedom fries and into islamophobia isn't it. Heck it started from the topic of war crazed WITH US OR AGAINST US nuttiness.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

Freedom fries were literally the definition of fringe. Mainstream chains did not go for it and even amongst chuds it was a little embarrassing.

TV and internet articles reflect reality, but they are not reality.

freedom fries were completely mainstream. christ there weren't even "chuds" back then, it was all mainstream republican support in full throated defense of american supremacy

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

A big flaming stink posted:

america went completely insane during from 02-07. what you call fringe jokes were the dominant cultural mores of the period.

Well it seems like this conversation has gone about as far as its going to go here. It's a stupid derail, though perhaps not as stupid as suggesting the actions of Fudrucker's "world famous hamburgers" is reflective of a dominant cultural moray of any period.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Yemen war: Houthi rebels claim mass capture of Saudi troops

quote:

Houthi rebels in Yemen say they have captured a large number of Saudi troops after a major attack near the border between the two countries.

A Houthi spokesman told the BBC that three Saudi brigades had surrendered near the Saudi town of Najran.

He said thousands of soldiers had been captured and many others killed. Saudi officials have not confirmed the claim.

The operation was the largest of its kind since the conflict began, the spokesman said.

Colonel Yahiya Sarea said Saudi forces had suffered "huge losses in life and machinery".

All those captured would be paraded on the Houthi-run Al Masirah TV network on Sunday, he added.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>
does that say 'three brigades'

If that's confirmed, then good lord.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Thank god America has righted the course since 07 and is now at a sane place, making good decisions for the good of the world.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
No matter how much money and equipment the saudi forces have, they are always horrible

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
three brigades is like ~6000 troops right? lmao

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Mr. Pool posted:

three brigades is like ~6000 troops right? lmao

Unfortunately brigade can currently mean pretty much anything because it's the trendy word to describe any sort of autonomously acting force regardless of its numerical strength, but it should mean at least a couple thousand troops at least.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009

Celexi posted:

No matter how much money and equipment the saudi forces have, they are always horrible

You can throw all the money and equipment at a military but when they are designed almost exclusively for putting down uppity citizens they won't do so well in any kind of real warfare.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Thank god America has righted the course since 07 and is now at a sane place, making good decisions for the good of the world.

We're talking about a specific thing and era.
The crazies gradually memory holed the Iraq war and Bush over that time, and then moved on to their next obsession, a black man in the white house. Next began the exciting Tea Party period of right wing America, setting the stage for the MAGA cult of today.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/cushbomb/status/1178067285883400193?s=21

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grape posted:

We're talking about a specific thing and era.
The crazies gradually memory holed the Iraq war and Bush over that time, and then moved on to their next obsession, a black man in the white house. Next began the exciting Tea Party period of right wing America, setting the stage for the MAGA cult of today.

Did the faction of American politics that evolved into MAGA ever memory hole 9/11 and the following years? I don't think so, and claiming so seems to be just another part of the story of misunderstanding why fascism is ascendant in the US. It seems like you are generalizing the liberal experience as being shared by America in general, thus obscuring the actual processes that have defined American politics in the past two decades.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Let’s make a new thread to talk about the US around 1999 to 2007 and keep this one to Middle East.

Thanks. Don’t forget there’s archives too, to pull from, though I don’t remember when that started.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

steinrokkan posted:

Did the faction of American politics that evolved into MAGA ever memory hole 9/11 and the following years? I don't think so, and claiming so seems to be just another part of the story of misunderstanding why fascism is ascendant in the US.

No, and nobody is claiming they are!
You're starting a fight with a nonexistent thing itt, or you want to yell about something and are bringing it up on your own.
Maybe go after the people saying that era didn't feature islamophobia in any large amount, because they might actually think chuds weren't fire hose spewing racism and jingoism in those days.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Grape posted:

No, and nobody is claiming they are!
You're starting a fight with a nonexistent thing itt, or you want to yell about something and are bringing it up on your own.
Maybe go after the people saying that era didn't feature islamophobia in any large amount, because they might actually think chuds weren't fire hose spewing racism and jingoism in those days.

I'm not yelling at you, it just seems you are basically igoring half of the US population in describing the political dynamics of the post 9/11 era, or you are trying to construct some weird narrative of discontinuity between like 2001 - 2008 - 2016 for no reason that makes apparent sense.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
Nevermind. Just, nevermind.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Sinteres posted:

I was going to say he's smart enough to know the difference, but everything I've read about him makes him sound like a pretty massive moron, so maybe he's not.

He's a failson surrounded by other even stupider failsons.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Did the faction of American politics that evolved into MAGA ever memory hole 9/11 and the following years? I don't think so, and claiming so seems to be just another part of the story of misunderstanding why fascism is ascendant in the US. It seems like you are generalizing the liberal experience as being shared by America in general, thus obscuring the actual processes that have defined American politics in the past two decades.

Jingoistic bullshit became profoundly unpopular and was seen as the lowest kind of crass low class poo poo towards the end of the Bush years. The election of Barack super allah obama in a wave election was a good example of how utterly discredited that poo poo was. Trump and the MAGA poo poo really regrew as it's own new thing (in the sense of being a political movement, as a cultural thing racism certainly never went away) out of right wing opposition to Obama. Trump making GBS threads all over establishment Rs in the primary was drawing on the contempt and disregard people still felt for all the dumb poo poo centrist Rs did in the 2000s

The push for the Iraq war came from centrist Rs, not the far right. Trump and MAGA are a far right phenomenon that eventually managed to bring a lot of centrist types into their fold.

Herstory Begins Now fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Sep 28, 2019

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Herstory Begins Now posted:

does that say 'three brigades'

If that's confirmed, then good lord.

I really can't believe it for now. If its true I wonder if it could cause KSA to negotiate withdrawal in exchange for the prisoners back. A few thousand all at once is an insane number for the kind of war they're fighting.

Though, what sort of person in KSA is in the army? Like, are members of the royal family officers? Is it a poor lower class that makes up the rank and file? Non-citizens maybe? Or people from a certain region?

Man I hope this is true just for the entertainment value.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I think it came up earlier in the thread, but the Saudi army has child soldiers in it

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003

Count Roland posted:

I really can't believe it for now. If its true I wonder if it could cause KSA to negotiate withdrawal in exchange for the prisoners back. A few thousand all at once is an insane number for the kind of war they're fighting.

Though, what sort of person in KSA is in the army? Like, are members of the royal family officers? Is it a poor lower class that makes up the rank and file? Non-citizens maybe? Or people from a certain region?

Man I hope this is true just for the entertainment value.

Brigades really means almost anything and depending on how much embezzlement is going on can skew things about an order of magnitude because paper soldiers are a great way to get more money sent to you. What they claim to have seized isn't unreasonable, a bunch of saudi commanders, an all saudi unit and 3 large units of foreign militia and relevant equipment? That's an entirely believable thing to have seized, especially with how demoralized the KSA forces obviously are.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Herstory Begins Now posted:

Jingoistic bullshit became profoundly unpopular and was seen as the lowest kind of crass low class poo poo towards the end of the Bush years. The election of Barack super allah obama in a wave election was a good example of how utterly discredited that poo poo was. Trump and the MAGA poo poo really regrew as it's own new thing (in the sense of being a political movement, as a cultural thing racism certainly never went away) out of right wing opposition to Obama. Trump making GBS threads all over establishment Rs in the primary was drawing on the contempt and disregard people still felt for all the dumb poo poo centrist Rs did in the 2000s

The push for the Iraq war came from centrist Rs, not the far right. Trump and MAGA are a far right phenomenon that eventually managed to bring a lot of centrist types into their fold.

This makes sense. I suppose McCain and his failure kinda symbolizes the turn between two different forms of far right in America. Thanks.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Kawasaki Nun posted:

Way to explain an era of American history to people that lived through it. That you think observing headlines or whatever from across the world gives you an insight into the prevailing American culture of the day (as if that is homogenous to any significant degree) really explains all the nice hot takes you produce.

Are you under the impression that lovely kids saying horrific racist poo poo is a product of the second gulf war?

Instead of admitting you were wrong, you're making GBS threads on this poster for being foreign. It's amazing.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FlamingLiberal posted:

I think it came up earlier in the thread, but the Saudi army has child soldiers in it

They scour the most war afflicted areas of Sudan for people desperate enough to sign up, dont they.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

What an incredibly helpful map BBC has provided us with to make sense of this conflict:

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FlamingLiberal posted:

they're not in the army, they're independent contractors :smug:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Well, there is 50% chance of Israel joining Iran in spreading the message of Mahdi.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
Egypt there like 'look as long as the check clears...'

e: lmao who tf on earth thinks israel is non-aligned in 2019

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Helsing posted:

What an incredibly helpful map BBC has provided us with to make sense of this conflict:

Part of the Israeli propaganda game is of course always Israel being a magic country that in spite of being in the Middle East, isn't ACTUALLY ...y'know in the Middle East.
They don't do dirty things like get involved in disgusting local conflicts. Sitting sagely on the side, and tut tutting at the savages around them as they engage in unfathomable tribal hatreds.
BUT of course they aid the more redeemable of the local ruffians against the nastier locals. I mean that's just the mature thing to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Also it gets its own green color to highlight their clean hands, while countries like Oman are left in mysterious light grey.
What goes on in Oman? Who knows... maybe war probably.