Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

... Metal Gear?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Compared to whom?

The United States obviously, Russia, China (for Land, and just the sheer size) and to a degree Germany.

I'm not saying we're not still a world superpower and a cut above the rest, but the technology is getting old and our naval capability sure isn't what it used to be. We're still flying aircraft that if put into a wartime position, would get absolutely hosed by the likes of Russian aircraft. We do not have a dedicated strike fighter to deal with air threats for example, we have good bombing aircraft - but those need to be protected when they go low and slow. They've only just begun receiving the F-35 orders that were placed over a decade ago. It's going to take time to acquire the full accompaniment of 138. It's also going to take a while to get the new class of carriers through sea trials and into service, though the F-35 can still operate on older fleet carriers.

The Navy itself has been touted as "too small" but that's not necessarily the case. It's that the vessels being used are so old and they have to be retrofitted constantly that makes deploying them a challenge. The Harrier has been retired and 2 carriers as well. The newest is the one undergoing trials.

Again it's more than capable of defending itself and using a manner of tactics and strategy can still easily win a theatre of war, it just doesn't have the "force majeure" or multipliers that some of the other nations do have.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I dont think it ends saudi arabia as a country?

The only surface water and rainfall is in the mountains (right next to Yemen...) and has enough to support maybe a few hundred thousand people. There's 33 million people in Saudi Arabia, a litre of water per day for each of them is <furious scratching on a back of an envelope> 250 jumbo jets just to get it into the country, let alone distribute it to the population.

They can probably get the groundwater pumps replaced in a few weeks, but the desalination plants (which supply most of the water for the main cities) would take months, if not years.

Even if by some miracle of logistics they *can* get enough Evian to everyone to keep them alive - if somewhat smelly, because of course there will be absolutely no spare for washing) until it's all fixed, what kind of effect do you think this going to have on the 32.99 million people who aren't in the ruling elite?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Russia/China has better submarines too don't they?
I think I remember reading how the US has neglected sea tech over air tech.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

The British military is basically good at engineering famines in impoverished nations and not a lot else

But by God are we good at it!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Hentai Jihadist posted:

The British military is basically good at engineering famines in impoverished nations and not a lot else

But by God are we good at it!

thats pretty easy though if you've got an army and are committed to it. look at how successful the saudis are at doing that compared to how badly they're getting owned by the houthis at everything else

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
OK but the some other nations are basically the big three. Anyway our military doesnt really need to win any wars, its just good marketing for all the tripe we want to sell to the arabs and africans.

Also regarding air battles, when was the last dogfight we were in? Falklands for 5 minutes then world war 2. The answer is just never fight anyone any good.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Even WW2 dogfights would never last that long

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

happyhippy posted:

Russia/China has better submarines too don't they?
I think I remember reading how the US has neglected sea tech over air tech.

Depends on how you define "better" - technically the US still has a considerable technology advantage over both, but at a massive cost, meaning they have far fewer subs which, don't forget, have to patrol a much wider area because of that whole Pax Americana bullshit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

china stole the f35 plans and then made a good plane by ignoring all the poo poo the US military pulled to make it terrible lol

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

thats pretty easy though if you've got an army and are committed to it. look at how successful the saudis are at doing that compared to how badly they're getting owned by the houthis at everything else

Were the ones who were advising them on how best to do that lol

British "advisors" went to help them kill Yemen and coincidentally at that same time they started targeting agriculture

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Falklands for 5 minutes

In which the argentinians were for the most part flying Pucarás which had the tech level of something you could build in a high school workshop, with undertrained pilots and... still managed to inflict serious losses...?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

serious losses? Don't get all nationalistic. No British aircraft were lost in combat. Only by accident or because we felt like it.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Sep 29, 2019

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Also regarding air battles, when was the last dogfight we were in? Falklands for 5 minutes then world war 2. The answer is just never fight anyone any good.

Dogfights don't really happen these days, everything is somewhere between short and long range radar intercept and firing missiles at eachother, and conversely trying not to get hit by said missiles. Not to say it doesn't happen, but the likes of 60's airframes vs. their modern counterparts - they could be hit from 50 miles away without the pilot knowing a thing.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

In which the argentinians were for the most part flying Pucarás which had the tech level of something you could build in a high school workshop, with undertrained pilots and... still managed to inflict serious losses...?

Holy poo poo this thing is great.

Like it makes sense for the role but a military prop fighter plane in tyool 1975

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Diet Crack posted:

Dogfights don't really happen these days, everything is somewhere between short and long range radar intercept and firing missiles at eachother, and conversely trying not to get hit by said missiles. Not to say it doesn't happen, but the likes of 60's airframes vs. their modern counterparts - they could be hit from 50 miles away without the pilot knowing a thing.

Kind of my point, yeah.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

NotJustANumber99 posted:

serious losses? Don't get all nationalistic. No British aircraft were lost in combat. Only by accident or because we felt like it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_air_forces_in_the_Falklands_War

quote:

In spite of these disadvantages, Argentine air units bore the brunt of the battle during the six-week war, and inflicted serious damage and losses to the naval forces of the United Kingdom. Low-flying jets attacking British ships provided some of the most sobering and dramatic images of the war. By the end of the conflict, the British forces had come to admire the FAA's spirited conduct in the face of an effective air defence network.

and lol yes the argentinian who literally fled his country for the UK is nationalistic sure

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Love this new GoPro war future

https://twitter.com/Sunkway_China/status/1178331011169452032?s=19
https://twitter.com/Sunkway_China/status/1178335513758949378?s=19

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

"Mam can we get F16?"

"We have F16 at home."

*the F16 at home*

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argentine_air_forces_in_the_Falklands_War

and lol yes the argentinian who literally fled his country for the UK is nationalistic

Yeah. But we were talking about air to air stuff. Obvs even a poo poo plane can bomb a boat. Thanks for the wikipedia link though. Me dad crashed his boat in the falklands before he got there lol.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Arent like I dunno Iphones good at this sort of stuff? Given being y'know really expensive telephones?

iPhone mics are great for their size.

Professional mics are easily triple the size of the entire phone, nevermind just the microphone element.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

and lol yes the argentinian who literally fled his country for the UK is nationalistic sure

Sorry, seemed like you were bragging about killing people.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

number99 is so rich he's building multiple properties and bought a tesla

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

objection. Relevancy.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

explains your military worship

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

OwlFancier posted:

"Mam can we get F16?"

"We have F16 at home."

*the F16 at home*

It fired unguided rockets and machineguns, just let that sink in for a second lol

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Sorry, seemed like you were bragging about killing people.

Just so we're loving clear on this war is poo poo and I hate war, I was simply ridiculing that thing where people believe high tech will make them invulnerable to military losses like they have tesla shields and the enemy has stone spears

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JimMFelton/status/1178217736872321024?s=20

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

sure you didn't notice this on the last page?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

Holy poo poo this thing is great.

Like it makes sense for the role but a military prop fighter plane in tyool 1975
How about tyool 2011?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkgeladdlaI

If you think it looks like they threw out all received wisdom since the 40s and then threw modern tech at it then you're not a hundred miles away from what they actually did.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Pochoclo posted:

It fired unguided rockets and machineguns, just let that sink in for a second lol

No it's great, it makes perfect sense if you want the thing for doing ground attack and scouting out militant groups in places with no proper airfields, you need it to fly low, slow, and efficient, and obviously it's gonna have a much easier maintenence profile. It's a perfectly sensible design for its role.

It's just seeing it clearly incorporating design elements from much more modern planes, in what is basically a fancy Focke, it's wild.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm amazed that people are responding to NJaN99 as if they're posting in good faith and not just too lazy to Google poo poo

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Diet Crack posted:

The United States obviously, Russia, China (for Land, and just the sheer size) and to a degree Germany.

I'm not saying we're not still a world superpower and a cut above the rest, but the technology is getting old and our naval capability sure isn't what it used to be. We're still flying aircraft that if put into a wartime position, would get absolutely hosed by the likes of Russian aircraft. We do not have a dedicated strike fighter to deal with air threats for example, we have good bombing aircraft - but those need to be protected when they go low and slow. They've only just begun receiving the F-35 orders that were placed over a decade ago. It's going to take time to acquire the full accompaniment of 138. It's also going to take a while to get the new class of carriers through sea trials and into service, though the F-35 can still operate on older fleet carriers.

The Navy itself has been touted as "too small" but that's not necessarily the case. It's that the vessels being used are so old and they have to be retrofitted constantly that makes deploying them a challenge. The Harrier has been retired and 2 carriers as well. The newest is the one undergoing trials.

Again it's more than capable of defending itself and using a manner of tactics and strategy can still easily win a theatre of war, it just doesn't have the "force majeure" or multipliers that some of the other nations do have.

German military is in a complete shambles right now. They have less than 10 operational fighter planes and run exercises with brooms wrapped in black foil instead of rifles because of budget cuts. If a war broke out today, they'd lose to Poland, and it would probably not even be close.

And the UK has the Eurofighter Typhoon, which I'm fairly sure is more than capable of handling Su-35s or other Russian fighters, which are realistically little more than 1980s designs with upgraded avionics packages, and with the Brimstone missile has a very handy ground attack package.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Pochoclo posted:

Just so we're loving clear on this war is poo poo and I hate war, I was simply ridiculing that thing where people believe high tech will make them invulnerable to military losses like they have tesla shields and the enemy has stone spears

I must have confused you for you to quote me then. When I said there was only a 5 min dogfight in the falklands it wasn't to disparage the lesser equipped Argentines, who proved themselves and their limited technology very capable of killing. But even that was a while ago. I more meant to suggest that that kind of warfare, dogfights, no longer existed, as others have confirmed.

I don't worship the military Jose.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Tarnop posted:

I'm amazed that people are responding to NJaN99 as if they're posting in good faith and not just too lazy to Google poo poo

Please explain what this attack is referencing?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jose posted:

sure you didn't notice this on the last page?

I was too busy writing Clancywank about Saudi water infrastructure.

e: I also use the word "Clancywank" enough that at some point I added it to my spellchecker dictionary, which is a worry.

goddamnedtwisto fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Sep 29, 2019

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

I was too busy writing Clancywank about Saudi water infrastructure.

Please stop worshiping the military.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
I wish there some good dog fighting games to play, from any war or period.
I miss the XWing vs Tie Fighter games.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

happyhippy posted:

I wish there some good dog fighting games to play, from any war or period.
I miss the XWing vs Tie Fighter games.

Isn't Ace Combat 7 supposed to be really good? Or did I misunderstand what that game is

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

The most astonishing thing about the Falklands War is that the UK won. If Argentina had the proper fuses in their bombs, they probably would have won.

They had 13 or so hits on UK ships where the bombs failed to detonate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I think maggie bullied the french or something?