Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Lol I’ve just had a company that I applied with back in July email me telling me they’ve renewed their search for this position and would like to invite me to an interview next week.

I was going to reply telling them I have since got a job and are not interested, but then I remembered they didn’t bother responding when I enquired a date and time for their first interview email, and didn’t mention anything about suspending the hiring process.

So I’m just going to ignore them.

Amazingly this isn’t the first time recently I’ve had emails regarding applications months after I’d assumed I’d not made it. If it takes you literal months to draw up a shortlist don’t be surprised when all your desired candidates have hosed off to do other things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

don't ignore me u fucker

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Lightning Knight posted:

Should I issue probations for posts this cursed, perhaps the thread can vote in a referendum.
I can put a poll in next month's OP if you want.

Should LK issue probations for cursed uwu posts?
  • Yes
  • noo uwu
  • pissfwaps ;_;

Eschenique posted:

You can't have a Norway deal because Norway's border situation is the result of something like 200 years worth of work, diplomacy and negotiations. And their trade deal something like 50 years.

You can't have that in a few months.

It's more realistic to peacefully annex the rest of Ireland and make Belfast the new capital.
The proposed deal is Norway+ which keeps the Irish border fluid.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Lord Ludikrous posted:

Lol I’ve just had a company that I applied with back in July email me telling me they’ve renewed their search for this position and would like to invite me to an interview next week.

I was going to reply telling them I have since got a job and are not interested, but then I remembered they didn’t bother responding when I enquired a date and time for their first interview email, and didn’t mention anything about suspending the hiring process.

So I’m just going to ignore them.

Amazingly this isn’t the first time recently I’ve had emails regarding applications months after I’d assumed I’d not made it. If it takes you literal months to draw up a shortlist don’t be surprised when all your desired candidates have hosed off to do other things.

The person they hired failed their probation and they don't want to pay a recruitment agency another set of fees which is why any positive cv will get a call before they start again.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Media Dave you are acting very much like the UK media right now!

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Doesn't that require the UKs border with the rest of the world to follow EU regulations?

As well as piss off every single Brexit voter ever because now the refugees can just catch a buss from Ireland to London.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Guavanaut posted:

I can put a poll in next month's OP if you want.

Should LK issue probations for cursed uwu posts?
  • Yes
  • noo uwu
  • pissfwaps ;_;

Thread votes yes but then takes 5 years to implement before imploding and being moved to the conspiracy subforum, names pissflaps prime minister in the process.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The assumption is yes that it's going to retain freedom of movement in exchange for single market access.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Fingerless Gloves posted:

I think he just claimed that Anna Sourby on TV way too much.

gh0stpinballa
Mar 5, 2019

so idk if anyone is interested but i did a bit of digging into arcuri and given her ties to the maxwells and people involved in the libor scandal, her cyber security "work" and the series of obvious front companies she has been "CEO" of over the last few years, i suspect she is a little more than a mistress who boris paid some money to off the books.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

If one outcome is clearly worse then they can decide to campaign against it (like, say, if the tories call the terms and put no deal on the ballot). If Labour negotiate a deal and set the terms of the referendum then they can decide to remain neutral and allow MPs to campaign as they see fit.

This really isn't difficult to grasp.

I think the issue is that the terms of the deal being negotiated are being set by Labour alone, what is being proposed currently is Labours personal construct of a Brexit deal which they have yet to get parliament to endorse (and ultimately if they are in the driving seat in government the other parties do not have to do so they won't) - going off to negotiate your own bespoke deal you personally have devised only to return with it, nominally a victory, only for the party to reject it at conference with a "no this is bad" makes you look a bit of a numpty.

I mean this is why Cameron pushed for a referendum in the first place because he wasn't sure he could sell his deal to his own party and hoped to nip past them directly to electorate.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

mediadave finally revealing that the dave in question is Cameron

Sanitary Naptime
May 29, 2006

MIWK!

el dingo posted:

Adam Buxton had Curtis on his podcast, its a really good listen. Its not really that funny like when he interviews actors/comedians but still one of my favourites.

The grand narrative is mentioned and Curtis answers that of course he's trying to sell a narrative, all journalism is. He also had a lot of discussion about the rise of the individual and how this hurts the left: since everyone is making their 'own story', this leaves little room for the kind of anonymous sacrifice and struggle involved in bringing about change on a large scale. I'd recommend.

Link if you want it: http://adam-buxton.co.uk/podcasts/ep44-adam-curtis

The atomisation of society is a loving killer, Capitalist Realism by Mark Fisher goes into this in some detail and is a v good read that I can’t recommend enough.

E: whoops pages back, I hope I didn’t miss a fubpee having a meltdown again

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Way to go BBC

https://twitter.com/guardian/status/1178637210545000449?s=19

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

gh0stpinballa posted:

so idk if anyone is interested but i did a bit of digging into arcuri and given her ties to the maxwells and people involved in the libor scandal, her cyber security "work" and the series of obvious front companies she has been "CEO" of over the last few years, i suspect she is a little more than a mistress who boris paid some money to off the books.

Even Trump doesn't pay his mistresses £700,000 in government grants.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

That does sound like something boris would do though, he's not very good at anything.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Eschenique posted:

Doesn't that require the UKs border with the rest of the world to follow EU regulations?

As well as piss off every single Brexit voter ever because now the refugees can just catch a buss from Ireland to London.
Are people as worked up about refugees as they were in 2015? That was the peak of the Syrian crisis and ISIS and all that, newspapers screaming about migration numbers seem to have calmed down.

"Only when human sorrows are turned into a toy with glaring colors will baby people become interested - for a while at least. The people are a very fickle baby that must have new toys every day."

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
Apparently it was local right wingers who triggered the reselection against Margaret Hodge because she is rarely seen locally and continues to live in a posh part of Islington rather than in her distinctly working class Barking and Dagenham constituency. Whilst you couldn’t make this up ( and Luke Akehurst and Labour First /Progress heads are spinning )let it be said that the expressions of outrage at her triggering by Harman, Watson , Streeting (and the rest of the anti-Corbyn brigade ) are pure hypocrisy..

(Source: FB friend).

serious gaylord posted:

The person they hired failed their probation and they don't want to pay a recruitment agency another set of fees which is why any positive cv will get a call before they start again.

This.
Or - the person started, hated it and quit,
Or - the person accepted the job and didn't turn up after the first couple of days
Or - the recruiting dept manager left so things were put on hold until a new dept manager was recruited. (This one happened to me years ago).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Who was it in this thread that said Dominic Cummings is ACME corp, brexit is the roadrunner and Johnson is Wile e Coyote?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

this guido guy is so loving stupid its unreal

https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1178271657678528514?s=20
https://twitter.com/tomhfh/status/1178274423729790976?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Love to choose which water provider caters for the Severn and Trent valley areas.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Ah, privatised railways, prefect timing for my question

It's my understanding that Japanese railways are (a) amazingly good and (b) wholly owned by various private companies. How did this happen? Why did it work in Japan but go completely to poo poo here?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/PhantomPower14/status/1178621160046632960?s=20
https://twitter.com/MrsTrellis4/status/1178648452856795137?s=20

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

First they came for the milk...

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Guavanaut posted:

The UK must protect it's stockpiles of Irish border fluid.

Desiderata
May 25, 2005
Go placidly amid the noise and haste...
For some incredibly masochistic reason (on the recommendation of a friend, I keep having pub arguments with) I listened to 'Remaniacs' podcast episode with Robert Webb, in the immediate aftermath of the Labour Conference.

Wow, these people have absolutely no insight into what is taking place in the Labour party, the country, or even about brexit, they are just empty, vapid, financially comfortable, people with nice radio voices (and presumably 'good' expensive educations, to go with that).

Fake Edit: What I'm saying is : praxis-cast is superior in every way, except audio quality.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

It's my understanding that Japanese railways are (a) amazingly good and (b) wholly owned by various private companies. How did this happen? Why did it work in Japan but go completely to poo poo here?

FT, but it's not an entirely bad intro to the differences so long as you take it with a pinch of salt: https://www.ft.com/content/9f7f044e-1f16-11e9-b2f7-97e4dbd3580d

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Failed Imagineer posted:

Why do you think the Normans wanted Ireland so badly in the first place?

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Does the Japanese government hold private companies accountable?

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Failed Imagineer posted:

Can't have frictionless trade if your border fluid levels drops too low, all of Fermanagh might seize up

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Braggart posted:

Sweet, I can still get my man-cavern excavated
pm me

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

I've been thinking about yellow tories, so now you have to too.

The biggest issue I have with referendum first under a caretaker government is that it leaves us with a situation where we would be handing back power to the blue Tories and asking this Tory party to respect the result would be like asking me not to eat the cake when it's right there.

It would also be a Tory party in a minority and that doesn't make a lick of sense. However, what if the yellow Tories are planning on a sudden but inevitable betrayal?!

Here is how it goes. Having won the 2nd ref the yellows go into coalition with the blues. I think that gives them a slim majority, or vonc proof the blues at least. The yellows spin this as them protecting the result and the blues spin it as keeping Labour away from power.

The yellows then do what they do and back neo-austerity.

Going even deeper into this bullshit line or reasoning, it allows the 21 rebels back into the club and you could probably convince the cuks and the independents to join as well, or at least agree an anti-labour non-agression pact.

This whole 2nd ref before GE is bullshit as how long will the rebel alliance be in power? Would it continue to implement Tory policy? It just can't rule on a single issue.

After what the supreme court has said this temporary non-government and -pm would have to step very carefully to make sure it complies with our new constitution when suspending parliament.

Debbie Does Dagon
Jul 8, 2005

Desiderata posted:

For some incredibly masochistic reason (on the recommendation of a friend, I keep having pub arguments with) I listened to 'Remaniacs' podcast episode with Robert Webb, in the immediate aftermath of the Labour Conference.

Wow, these people have absolutely no insight into what is taking place in the Labour party, the country, or even about brexit, they are just empty, vapid, financially comfortable, people with nice radio voices (and presumably 'good' expensive educations, to go with that).

Fake Edit: What I'm saying is : praxis-cast is superior in every way, except audio quality.

Robert Webb also made some TERFy, concern -trolling comments on Twitter. So gently caress him

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
Is there no Parliamentry fun to be had while the conference is happening? I thought they'd try something.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Szmitten posted:

Is there no Parliamentry fun to be had while the conference is happening? I thought they'd try something.

Waiting for Johnson to be on stage

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Szmitten posted:

https://twitter.com/labourwhips/status/1178635451743309824

Big John will be dunking on Javid in 15 mintues

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1178647103402397696

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1178661310835363842?s=19

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Just remembering a happier time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Szmitten posted:

It takes a day's notice to pull another Benn act (Application for emergency debate under SO 24) so you'll know by tomorrow if they intend to coincide something big with the PM's speech on weds.

But there's always room for urgent questions etc...