Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

It'd be like, being assaulted or a blob fish or some poo poo. Money/power must be one hell of an aphrodisiac for some

OH this is a bad snipe.

415 is the 10th Iccanobif number, where each term is the reverse of the sum of the previous two numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

Isn't there someone who points this out every year, who gets totally ignored?

They probably have someone quietly explain to them the maths of a situation in which everyone was accumulating capital. Then they either reconsider their ideology, or their morality.

I mean, it is actually just about viable, in the short term, to have a situation where maybe 30% of the population are accumulating capital, Thatcher’s insight was that you can use that 30% as a base from which to win fairish democratic elections.

The thing is, it requires massive expenditure to maintain that as an economic equilibrium in the face of economies of scale. It is not something the invisible hand of the free market is going to deliver, because the free market can or by itself care about maintaining a Tory majority any more than it can care about climate change.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I think it was Gove who said "we need to stop banging on about Venezuela" because younger voters see the comparison for what it is: absurd

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Clearly the Tories need a new way to lure young people that isn't sweets and an unmarked van

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

jaete posted:

Hmm, I don't think the borehole was for just equilibrium. Could be wrong though. Also 50-100 metres doesn't sound like "very shallow" to me? I guess there are different "grades" of geothermal things?

This stuff gets its energy from the earth storing the heat from summer. If you go much deeper, you can get energy from being close to the magma (works better in iceland)

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Clearly the Tories need a new way to lure young people that isn't sweets and an unmarked van
"Little boy, I have sweets in my van."
"Piss off, you nonce."
"If you come in and take the sweets, you can sell them to other kids, and then accumulate capital, which you can use to buy your own van."
"Why do I want that?"
"So you can lure in kids to molest."

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

jBrereton posted:

What I mean is that Dennis Skinner was Chairman of the Labour Party, ie the chosen head of the NEC, during the year Katy Hoey was pushed as the candidate in the Vauxhaul By-Election by the NEC over the objections of the local party.

Which doesn't mean he could tell the NEC what to do . Its not like being General Secretary in the USSR.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Young people:' How about you give us some money?
Tories: Not like that!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

feedmegin posted:

Which doesn't mean he could tell the NEC what to do . Its not like being General Secretary in the USSR.

actually it does, becuase im smart

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Jedit posted:

Or if not asked.

Asking is probably a turn-off for him, really.

Braggart
Nov 10, 2011

always thank the rock hider
You can't sell capitalism to people who can't accumulate capital, so we need to trick people into believing that they can.

Do it harder I mean.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

The problem with the Tory recruitment policy is that these days it is best summarised as "Hello little boy/girl, would you like to buy some puppies?"

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
That hopkins tweet is a bold new challenger to the worst of all time, just about displacing the kevin smith 'pwns my dick taint' one

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Rarity posted:

Young people:' How about you give us some money?
Tories: Not like that!

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

you still haven't told me where you av is from at first I was just curious but now I'm suspsecting a conspiracy

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
https://twitter.com/adampayne26/status/1178650808382042113

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

jaete posted:

Also, Jesus, hydrogen in place of gas sounds like even more of a loving disaster than gas already is. Is that an actual serious plan? What the gently caress

I actually know someone who's working on investigative work into switching to Hydrogen.

Yes Hydrogen gas is more explosive, but because they're such light molecules if you have a leak they disperse VERY quickly and escape out of your house through the tiniest gaps. Heavier gases hang around more and actually present more of an explosion risk even if the gas itself is less explosive.

Pudding Space
Mar 19, 2014

Flayer posted:

Why is Boris Johnson touching you so wonderful? The man is a lecherous creep who would likely grope anyone who asked.

There's never been a shortage of women who are turned on by power, authority, or depravity. There are murderers serving life, or on death row, who get love letters and offers of marriage. A lot of people are loving nuts, or will do literally anything to climb a ladder without a hint of shame. I guarantee this grifter already has a confidential book deal.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Braggart posted:

You can't sell capitalism to people who can't accumulate capital, so we need to trick people into believing that they can.

Do it harder I mean.
I mean it also relies on young people simultaneously wanting to accumulate capital, while also accepting that they will never be paid fairly or be able to afford a house.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

WhatEvil posted:

I actually know someone who's working on investigative work into switching to Hydrogen.

Yes Hydrogen gas is more explosive, but because they're such light molecules if you have a leak they disperse VERY quickly and escape out of your house through the tiniest gaps. Heavier gases hang around more and actually present more of an explosion risk even if the gas itself is less explosive.

Oh, huh, that's rather interesting.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Tesseraction posted:

you still haven't told me where you av is from at first I was just curious but now I'm suspsecting a conspiracy

Missed that post. It's just some rando minecraft tar and I'm changing it any day now :v:

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

jaete posted:

Hmm, I don't think the borehole was for just equilibrium. Could be wrong though. Also 50-100 metres doesn't sound like "very shallow" to me? I guess there are different "grades" of geothermal things?

Yeah I don't think it's for equilibrium. At least I hope not. My new place (not moved yet) is heated only by an air source heat pump but this will apparently will work down to -20 C.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It amazes me how expensive air source hydronic heat pumps are compared to normal air conditioners.

Like you can get a split AC unit that will do both hot and cold for about a tenth of the price of an air source hydronic unit that will only do hot water but will do it for taps and heating.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

WhatEvil posted:

But the only ways of getting it are extracting it from oil and natural gas deposits, or electrolysis - we really don't want to be doing any more of the former and there's no point in doing the latter when we could just, you know, deliver the electricity and use that for cooking and heating.

Hydrogen makes a sort of sense for fueling vehicles because of the speed and (relative) ease of refuelling, I just don't see the advantage of using it as a replacement for static applications we can already do with electricity.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
You can get it by spraying water onto hot coals, but I'm not sure we want to do more of that really, even though it is a clean process (by coal standards).

Purple Prince
Aug 20, 2011

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Hydrogen makes a sort of sense for fueling vehicles because of the speed and (relative) ease of refuelling, I just don't see the advantage of using it as a replacement for static applications we can already do with electricity.

Power storage and off the grid stuff? It's a lot easier to store hydrogen than it is to store electricity.

Not that most of that applies to heating homes, unless those homes are cut off from the grid for some reason.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.
Has anyone posted this yet? Kate Hoey speaking at the Tory conf.

https://twitter.com/hzeffman/status/1178319779918155776?s=20

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Purple Prince posted:

Power storage and off the grid stuff? It's a lot easier to store hydrogen than it is to store electricity.

Not that most of that applies to heating homes, unless those homes are cut off from the grid for some reason.
If you want to store energy using water, there's a much easier way.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Isn't hydrogen the only thing that successfully blocks some forms of radiation (neutrons?). But nuclear power plants just choose to let workers get exposed to it briefly instead and do the work in shifts because hydrogen is so stupidly flammable that the guys who harvest the power of the apocalypse for a living think it's too dangerous?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

tritsch posted:

This must surely be grounds for having the whip withdrawn?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

jaete posted:

If this is ground heat exhange heating, or bergvärme / maalämpö in swe/fin as is commonly used here to heat houses, then it's not just for equilibrium but actual heating, I don't know how the heat pump actually works, but the system allows it to heat stuff up to 50 degrees C or so using just the little heat that is in the ground water, some kind of clever system using a compressor. Most boreholes are 120-200 meters deep. COP is around 4-5 on our model.

This system can also work by laying down lines of heat exhanging pipe shallowly around the yard. The pro is you don't have to drill an expensive deep borehole, the con is you have to dig up your yard, and it needs to be big enough too.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Eschenique posted:

Missed that post. It's just some rando minecraft tar and I'm changing it any day now :v:

Fair enough, cheers!

tritsch posted:

lol, back in her home environment

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Eschenique posted:

Isn't hydrogen the only thing that successfully blocks some forms of radiation (neutrons?). But nuclear power plants just choose to let workers get exposed to it briefly instead and do the work in shifts because hydrogen is so stupidly flammable that the guys who harvesting the power of the apocalypse for a living think it's too dangerous?
Neutrons are best blocked by stuff with lots of hydrogen atoms, like paraffin waxes, or heavy cheap dense stuff like concrete or packed earth. Hydrogen gas would be a bad blocker, but it's useful for neutron scattering experiments.

Working in shifts isn't too bad because the linear no-threshold model is trash.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

ThomasPaine posted:

I haven't checked but I bet she's not the first Labour MP to turn up at one of these meetings at a Tory party conference.

TRIXNET
Jun 6, 2004

META AS FUCK.

ThomasPaine posted:

I'm not 100% sure but as far as I understand it Vauxhall are stuck with her until a G.E or if she has the decency to step away but lol she's not got any of that. (Unless she publicly admits to having voted Tory in the last election to which they can get rid of her immeditately)

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

tritsch posted:

I'm not 100% sure but as far as I understand it Vauxhall are stuck with her until a G.E or if she has the decency to step away but lol she's not got any of that. (Unless she publicly admits to having voted Tory in the last election to which they can get rid of her immeditately)

She's not standing for Labour at the next election so I guess they think there's no point in throwing her out

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

forkboy84 posted:

I haven't checked but I bet she's not the first Labour MP to turn up at one of these meetings at a Tory party conference.

Going just to see the talks etc is fair enough (know your enemy and all that) but participating in them is another thing entirely

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Purple Prince posted:

Yeah, I've heard of plans to pair up electrolysis plants with existing natural gas power stations for load balancing - it's not as efficient as other forms of storage but it does allow you to leverage a load of existing infrastructure.

Eschenique
Jul 19, 2019

Guavanaut posted:

Neutrons are best blocked by stuff with lots of hydrogen atoms, like paraffin waxes, or heavy cheap dense stuff like concrete or packed earth. Hydrogen gas would be a bad blocker, but it's useful for neutron scattering experiments.

Working in shifts isn't too bad because the linear no-threshold model is trash.

I heard hard materials was bad for that because the neutrons just ricochets off them and becomes even angrier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Eschenique posted:

Isn't hydrogen the only thing that successfully blocks some forms of radiation (neutrons?). But nuclear power plants just choose to let workers get exposed to it briefly instead and do the work in shifts because hydrogen is so stupidly flammable that the guys who harvest the power of the apocalypse for a living think it's too dangerous?

Light molecules are better for stopping neutrons, but everything will do it. Your neutron shielding material will be heavy in hydrogen for this purpose, but it needn't be molecular hydrogen, it can be water or hydrocarbon polymers.

Given the really strict radiation limits nuclear workers are subject to, I doubt there's much in terms of intentional exposure like that. Where's Honky Dong Country when you need him?

Eschenique posted:

I heard hard materials was bad for that because the neutrons just ricochets off them and becomes even angrier.

They can ricochet off heavy elements, but they don't get more angry in the process. They just bounce.