Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Endorph posted:

Eh, this is kind of just pointless word association. I've seen people being massive transphobes with avatars of series with characters who are literally, explicitly trans. Heck, the heartbeat dev is actually an example of that since she used to be in the touhou fandom and get insanely mad whenever people acted like the character who literally, explicitly went from male to female (to the point of having a dead name) counted as trans.

That's the thing that gets me about it, really. How little they know about the stuff they have as their avatar, sometimes.

It's something I noticed with incel forums (I used to tool around on the Inceltears subreddit). Like there was a guy railing against any media having any relationship with any potentially gay readings at all. With flippin' Femto as his avatar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

I mean "anime" is also, similarly, not a monolithic culture despite how some people have taken to use anime as a catch-all signifier of their contempt. People co-opt the media they consume and see what they want to see in it regardless of the medium, and those people are also the most vocal in denouncing other takes and claiming their own to be the right ones.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder
Normal and smart thing to say and think: "The entire cultural output of this country of millions of people is x, and people who enjoy it are y." I'm not saying anyone here is doing that but it's an easy and bad trap to fall into.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

AngryRobotsInc posted:

That's the thing that gets me about it, really. How little they know about the stuff they have as their avatar, sometimes.

It's something I noticed with incel forums (I used to tool around on the Inceltears subreddit). Like there was a guy railing against any media having any relationship with any potentially gay readings at all. With flippin' Femto as his avatar.
People read want they want into media. Sure, if something is consistent across a ton of things it can change someone's opinion over time, and if someone doesn't have an opinion yet they might use it help form one, but if someone already has a locked in opinion they aren't gonna change their mind just for that. Like, you and I aren't going to suddenly think trans people are gross comic relief pedophiles if we went and played Persona 3, and someone who does think that isn't gonna change their mind because they watch that one episode of Zombieland Saga or whatever.

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
It can also be an attempt to claim space. That was the original intent of MAGA Momiji which has mas morphed into a lot of people not even realizing what she's from. Which I guess is pretty common for Touhou lol

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Cuntellectual posted:

There were people who ferverently denied that one girl from Zombieland saga was trans. :shrug:

Yeah but Crunchyroll (who literally paid for MRA wankbait Shield Hero to get an anime adaption) are SJWs who rewrote the Zombieland translation to pander to their diseased ilk.

(Let's ignore the Japanese being even more blatant about it)

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mokinokaro posted:

Yeah but Crunchyroll (who literally paid for MRA wankbait Shield Hero to get an anime adaption) are SJWs who rewrote the Zombieland translation to pander to their diseased ilk.

(Let's ignore the Japanese being even more blatant about it)

It's always fascinating comparing the actual conversations the Japanese fanbase of things are having with what conversations people seem to assume they're having.

surprisingly, they tend to not be that radically different from the ones in the western hemisphere.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
They meant that the Japanese voiceover is even more blatant about the character being trans than the translated subtitles would have you believe. Which fundamentally contradicts that little bit of conspiracy theory about Crunchyroll.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What I mean is that it's not like people in Japan are accidentally using terms that just happen to line up with trans imagery and the japanese fanbase is completely unaware, it's completely intentional and it's kind of amusing to see how hard people perform mental gymnastics to try and deny it and blame sjw translation or w/e.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
The character literally dresses in the colors of the trans flag a few times. The creators definitely knew what they were doing.

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

Endorph posted:

after being called out for transphobia and doubling down on it, heartbeat devs put their game + soundtrack on a 41% discount in reference to '41% of trans people commit suicide' statistic, reviews are currently a shithouse.

im sure steam will do something about this! (they wont)
Talk about owning yourself to own the libs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the funniest thing about the trans kid in zombieland saga is the fact that the wikipedia article for zombieland has to include like six citations when it calls her 'transgender'

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Wikipedia super owns for trans stuff. It's been their policy for forever that they're not only allowed but have an obligation to deadname every single trans person they write about and also you can't ask them to remove it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
What the heck's an Atelier? A megapost for copying/pasting whenever someone asks that, as requested a few pages back before the current discussion started

Atelier is a series of JRPGs released roughly yearly with (as of this post) 21 mainline entries and a dozen spinoffs. The best words to describe the mood of (most of) the games are "cute" and "chill". They almost exclusively have low stakes like "stop the government from eminent domain-ing my small business" or "don't get fired from my job". You (almost always) play as a young woman starting her career as an alchemist. What this means in game terms is crafting. Lots and lots of crafting. You craft your own weapons and armor, you craft bombs to throw at the enemies, you craft healing items, you craft everything. The trend in modern games is to have the crafting be a fully-realized puzzle minigame where the outcome is shaped by the exact details of the items you put in. Besides the crafting, the gameplay is fairly standard turn-based JRPG fare, often with a subfocus on exploration. Some of the older games also have a time management component, of varying levels of difficulty. The games are also known for having kickass soundtracks and heavy lesbian undertones.

Most of the games are linked to each other in trilogies (or the occasional duology or quadrilogy). Generally speaking, you don't need to play a trilogy in order--they're designed to be playable individually (with varying levels of success). The series started on the original Playstation but it wasn't until the PS2 that the games started getting localized. The PS2 games are also huge outliers; in the PS3 era the series returned to its roots and the PS3 games are much more similar to the PS1 games than they are to the PS2 games. This means that the PS3 era is the start of the "modern" Atelier series. Thus, rather than talk about the series in chronological order, I'm going to talk about the modern games first and then go back to the older games.

Arland Quadrilogy (PS3/Vita/PC/PS4/Switch for the first three; PC/PS4/Switch for Lulua)
  • Atelier Rorona: A wholesome, charming game about an apprentice alchemist saving her master's failing business from being bought out. This game is a very laid-back, relaxed experience if you just want to get to the end and make some anime friends, but a very frantic experience if you want to make all the anime friends because there's a time limit. That time limit is extremely generous to just complete the game, but extremely tight if you want to 100% it. Also, content warning, there are a few scenes that are uncomfortably horny about underage characters. Also apparently the PS3 version is terrible and you should never play it. This is one of my recommended entry points to the series.

• Atelier Totori: This game dials back the charm compared to Rorona, but in exchange has a heartfelt story about family. This game has in my opinion the second-best writing in the series. It's a bit janky though--when Rorona got ported, it got a bunch of quality of life updates, whereas Totori is a straight port, so it's the oldest-feeling of the modern games. It also has the tightest time limit of any of the modern games, and is the only one where a careful player faces a realistic chance of failure. Consulting a guide or asking for help is recommended.

• Atelier Meruru: This game has a sort of frantic energy to it. You play as a princess using alchemy to provide infrastructure to her kingdom. The new characters besides Meruru herself are all pretty boring but it brings back all the favorites from Rorona and Totori. This game has a similar time limit to Totori but is a bit easier so there's less risk of failure. Also Rorona is inexplicably turned into an eight year old in this game, a move which nobody liked.

• Atelier Lulua: This game came out a decade after Meruru and is a long form apology for what they did to Rorona in it. Rorona is now in her 30s and is a mom, and you play as her daughter. The game is written as a slapstick comedy and the first half has some great cinematograpy contributing to the comedic timing (before they realized that doing that for the entire game would run them way over budget). This game does not have a time limit.

Dusk Trilogy (PS3/Vita, soon to be PC/PS4/Switch)
  • Atelier Ayesha: This game wins my award for best-written Atelier. The game is in turns cute, heartwarming, funny, and deeply moving. You play as a young woman going on an adventure to learn alchemy in order to save her sister. This game can be a bit confusing at times on how to proceed and has a time limit, so I recommend using a guide if you ever find yourself stuck on what to do next. This is one of my recommended entry points to the series

• Atelier Escha and Logy: This is another fan-favorite for its lovable cast. You play as two alchemists starting their career in government work. This game has a time limit but failure isn't very realistic.

• Atelier Shallie: I don't even know how to summarize the story of this one. Tbh I don't like it all that much, it felt too much like it was trying to rely on the appeal of the previous Dusk games while not having anything worthwhile of its own, or a very good understanding of what made them great in the first place.

Mysterious Trilogy (PS4/Vita/PC; L&S is on the Switch as well)
  • Atelier Sophie: A young woman begins to learn alchemy under the instruction of a talking book who is her future wife. Unfortunately for her, her village is filled with only boring people for her to be friends with. Fortunately for her, new, less boring people move in eventually

• Atelier Firis: An open world Atelier. You can really tell that all the development effort in this game went into doing their best to make an open world game, and the rest suffers for it. I personally think they pulled it off, but everybody else on the planet thinks this is the worst Atelier by a mile.

• Atelier Lydie and Suelle: A return to form, this game feels like it could have been in the Arland trilogy, writing-wise. It has a lovable, colorful cast of characters and probably the best gameplay in the series to-date. This is one of my recommended entry points to the series.

Secret (?) Trilogy (?) (PS4/PC/Switch)
  • Atelier Ryza: This game is a story about a young woman in a rural town coming of age and finding her place in the world. The story leans a bit more traditional JRPG, with linear story beats and a more typical save-the-world framing (though there's still plenty of Atelier-style low-stakes stuff to go along with it). The combat system is also decidedly unchill, and demands quick thinking to succeed. This is one of my recommended entry points to the series

Iris Trilogy (PS2)
  • Atelier Iris: I haven't played this game since I was a teen but it's probably boring and bad

• Atelier Iris 2: I have replayed this game so I know it's boring and bad

• Atelier Iris 3: This game has charming-but-boring writing, but an unusually engaging battle system.

Mana Khemia Duology (PS2)
  • Mana Khemia: I'm the only Atelier fan who doesn't like this game so it must be doing something good. Play it maybe, and then tell me why I'm wrong for not liking it

• Mana Khemia 2: I have not played this game.

Other stuff
  • Atelier Marie: The very first Atelier, available to play via a fan patch for the PS2 version. The entire game is time management.

• Atelier Elie: The second Atelier, available to play also via fan patch. It seems to be Marie but better.

• Atelier Annie: A DS game and officially considered a spinoff, though gameplaywise it seems to be basically mainline. Unfortunately, that gameplay is trash. It's a shame too because the writing is legitimately funny.

• Nelke and the Legendary Alchemists: This is a crossover game. It is not a mainline Atelier, it is a spinoff. The genre is townbuilder, not JRPG. Don't play it unless you've played so many Ateliers that you'll recognize a good number of the crossover characters

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 23, 2019

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thats a lot of loving alchemists

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Synthbuttrange posted:

Thats a lot of loving alchemists

I didn't even mention Lilie, Judie, or Viorate either, or any of the japan-only DS alchemists since they're inexplicably considered spinoffs and thus not in Nelke so I don't know them

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Its really kind of intimidating because you go 'hahah this looks a little cute *is crushed by the rest of the series*

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ar Tonelico: A spinoff of the Atelier series which is mostly linked by being an RPG with a weirdly indepth crafting system, but it's also an actual RPG with a save the world plot and stuff. Noteworthy for having literally constructed an entire language just because, and for its incredible music, both in terms of the songs themselves and how they expand on the characters and world. If you literally learn an entire language to figure out how to translate them into English. Or look them up on youtube, I guess.

Ar Tonelico: The first game in the series, notable for being kind of dull. The villain is cool and some of the side characters are alright, but the leads are pretty basic. Would describe as 10% sexy anime babes, 10% heartfelt storytelling, 10% cool music, 70% 'eh.'
Ar Tonelico II: The second game in the series, notable for being badass. The characters pop a lot more than the previous game, even the protagonist, and the game actually handles relationships in a fairly mature way, with characters falling in and out of love in a way that feels natural. Would describe as 15% sexy anime babes, 50% heartfelt storytelling, 35% cool music. Has an infamously bad, glitchy official translation, so would recommend using the fan translation instead.
Ar Tonelico Qoga: The third game in the series, notable for being titled 'Ar Tonelico Qoga: The Knell of Ar Ciel.' It's got a very colorful artstyle and a lot of amazing music but also cranks up the odd psychosexual angles in comparison to the previous games. The characters do still land sometimes but it's a lot harder of a sell due to just how weird it can get with those angles, with lots of random sidebars just being extended sex jokes. Would describe as 50% sexy anime babes, 20% heartfelt storytelling, 30% cool music.
Ar No Surge: The fifth game in the series. Where's the 4th? It's a princess maker clone that never got translated. I don't know. Notable for being a sequel to a princess maker clone that never got translated, and for kind of assuming the player is male and thus leading the series composer to apologize to all the lesbians in attendance at the official concert, only to be met with thunderous applause in response. It's got kind of cool combat and some pretty good characters but it never really comes together like II or even Qoga, at least in my opinion. Also I didn't think the music was as good. Would describe as 30% sexy anime babes, 15% heartfelt storytelling, 15% cool music, 50% eh.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I think Gust themselves is trying to forget Lise, for the Japan only DS ones. The initial release was...preeeetty bad.

ETA: ^^ Even if you try the Ar Tonelico games and don't like them, looking into the sheer amount of worldbuilding put into it can still be interesting. Because there really is a ton of thought into the universe and how it all works together. Way more than you'd expect from most games.

AngryRobotsInc fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Oct 2, 2019

wateyad
Nov 17, 2007

The power of the Outsider is

...dat ass
:yosbutt:
Ar Tonelico isn't an Atelier spinoff it's just another series of games that happen to be made by gust.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I actually thought there were more, that's pretty succinct. I already got bored to tears by Sophie and will be skipping Firis but thanks anyway, cheetah.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's probably worth mentioning that about 20% of Ar Nosurge is TWISTS. So many TWISTS.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

wateyad posted:

Ar Tonelico isn't an Atelier spinoff it's just another series of games that happen to be made by gust.

The PS3 version of Shallie would try to convince you otherwise! :v:

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

Wikipedia super owns for trans stuff. It's been their policy for forever that they're not only allowed but have an obligation to deadname every single trans person they write about and also you can't ask them to remove it.

Don’t they just say the birth name once in the opening paragraph/sidebar and whenever talking about some time in the past before the person changed names?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Do you think that's acceptable to trans people?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
C'mon they only dead name you once and make sure it's like the first thing the reader sees, how could you object to that?

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
"Hmm one of the biggest websites in the world deadnames me but its cool it's only sometimes"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
jimmy wales eats his own boogers

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

kirbysuperstar posted:

jimmy wales eats his own boogers

Jimmy Wales? More like, jimmy britain...

I dunno Ive got nothin.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

meanwhile I believe they don't list Dril's real name at all

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Checked Yusuf Islam's page and yeah, theyre lovely about it for non trans people as well. I was thinking itd just be a mention at the start then the rest of the article using the persons name but nope, yusuf gets called by a stage name he hasnt used in decades or a birth name he never used performing.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
Ar tonelico is one of those things I wish I could recommend more because the worldbuilding is SO GOOD and the music is SO GOOD and the conlang is SO COOL but it's wrapped around gameplay that's pretty eh at best.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!
Sorry, I didn’t really understand due to a lack of knowledge.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
ar tonelico is only like 15 hours long at least and you can speed that up a lot on an emulator

ar tonelico 2 is a lot easier to stomach in general

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I remember teen me thinking that Misha's story was insanely cool

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.

The Colonel posted:

ar tonelico is only like 15 hours long at least and you can speed that up a lot on an emulator

ar tonelico 2 is a lot easier to stomach in general

yeah, AT2 was what got me into being an AT fan.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the best part of ar tonelico 1 is the random mechanic girl who has a scene midway through that just goes like

krusche: "did i ever tell you i'm a reyvateil"

lyner: "what...!?"

krusche: "heh, gotcha. i lied"

and then it just never comes up again.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
tbh i'd say the last like... three hours? of ar tonelico are really good. like, they don't fix that the gameplay, is really boring, but the last act is a huge dramatic shift in pacing and structure in a way that's, actually really interesting and it starts going into all of the most interesting themes of its story and i like that the resolution to ayatane's big final battle is just lyner saying "yo dude chill we're not gonna kill your mom" and ayatane saying "oh, serious? drat maybe you're not even bullshitting i guess this is worth a try"

like it's still a 6/10 game at most but i think the relatively short run time is worth it just for those last few bits

KariOhki
Apr 22, 2008

cheetah7071 posted:

Atelier Rorona: [...] Also apparently the PS3 version is terrible and you should never play it

Specifically, it's the original PS3 version that's terrible and shouldn't be played. Atelier Rorona Plus is the only one of the "Plus" versions to get a PS3 release as well as the Vita due to it being more of a remake than "we stuck the DLC in for free" upgrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kagaya Homoraisan posted:

"Hmm one of the biggest websites in the world deadnames me but its cool it's only sometimes"

I think its necessary because otherwise people might have no idea who the person is if they were famous in some manner under their deadname.

You have to mention somewhere that they changed from a one name to another.

Narcissa Wright springs to mind. She dropped out of the public eye during her transition, but her deadname was well known to casual speedrunning fans due to that gdq oot video.