Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Twee or Jank?
This poll is closed.
Twee 9 4.81%
Jank 26 13.90%
Goose 71 37.97%
Bowsette 81 43.32%
Total: 187 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When I grow up, I wanna be a butzball

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

My family drinks those all the time now.

They're like pocket four lokos

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

bushisms.txt posted:

My family drinks those all the time now.

They're like pocket four lokos

forbidden apple? not this time satan

May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Is the new character out of beta yet?

not yet - i hope it stays in beta a bit longer because i am bad with them and can blame it on being in beta still

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Relax Or DIE posted:

not yet - i hope it stays in beta a bit longer because i am bad with them and can blame it on being in beta still

I'm concerned that I'm going to spend another 30-50 hours playing when the new character drops.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Finished Observation today it, it was a decent 2001 meets cosmic horror thing but I wish they'd done more with you playing as the space station other than what amounted to a bunch of opening locked doors mini games.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Code Vein NPC: *impassioned pleas to accompany me because they believe doing so will help them find their purpose in life*
me: "yeah okay but only in cutscenes I don't want the game to be too easy"

May 8, 2006

Does the companion make the game way too easy? I think the AI companion sounds fun but not if it's doing all the work

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Relax Or DIE posted:

Does the companion make the game way too easy? I think the AI companion sounds fun but not if it's doing all the work

A companion was able to solo the first boss for me, after I hosed up, and went to the fight without saving/getting healed up first.

Also, Humble Bundle subscriptions are weird. I signed up so I could get Crash Bandicoot/Spyro, and then immediately canceled so I wouldn't be auto-billed for the next month, but apparently it cancelled this month. I still got the games though.

IShallRiseAgain fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Oct 6, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Relax Or DIE posted:

It seemed to, but I disabled it before the second boss so maybe it evens out later. If nothing else, it enables to strategy of solely focusing on dodging whenever the enemy is focused on you, and solely focusing on attacking whenever it's focused on the AI

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Relax Or DIE posted:

Sorta? I wouldn't say they trivialize the game, but they certainly make it easier. The main thing is just that they can basically save you from death every once in a while.

Also if you explore areas you'll run into areas that just cause 6 waves of 3 enemies to spawn and attack you which a partner turns Extremely Hard into Difficult.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
I want a game in the style of A Way Out but with a heavy Dark Souls aesthetic, about a pair of grave robbers exploring a castle. A crafted experience, no character creator, but two experienced thieves - oh this is just Uncharted.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
So I bought Des2ny when it came out, and the expansion packs it came with apparently weren't enough to be a season pass, so I got shafted and never got Forsaken. Being pissed at Activision crap I decided I was done with it for a while. Now I'm looking at Shadowkeep or whatever it is and it suggests I don't have to have played Forsaken at all. So my question is this: what would I be missing, story and gameplay wise, by jumping to this and skipping Forsaken entirely?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Relax Or DIE posted:

It varies but generally yeah. Especially on bosses the companions are gonna make many of them first attempt kills which takes a lot of the fun out of it imo.

There are some obnoxious parts while exploring so I still liked to bring a companion along every now and then, but for the most part it's more fun/challenging solo.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Bogart posted:

So I bought Des2ny when it came out, and the expansion packs it came with apparently weren't enough to be a season pass, so I got shafted and never got Forsaken. Being pissed at Activision crap I decided I was done with it for a while. Now I'm looking at Shadowkeep or whatever it is and it suggests I don't have to have played Forsaken at all. So my question is this: what would I be missing, story and gameplay wise, by jumping to this and skipping Forsaken entirely?

Forsaken's campaign is really good--it has an actually pretty good story and some of the better missions they've made for a campaign--but Shadowkeep's campaign doesn't follow directly off of it or anything like that--it's a separate story rather than a continuation of the Forsaken stuff. I think you can still access the (very cool) Forsaken patrol areas without buying Forsaken itself, though some of the activities there are locked off.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

well katana zero wound up being ok i guess. not as good as hotline miami, but what is? it did feel like it was trying too hard to ape the unreliable narrator stuff, and wanted to have a deeper more metaphysical plot than the author could truly pull off, but at the end of the day you get to chop up a bunch of guys with a samurai sword while wearing a bath robe.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/SwitchTilde/status/1179475278856372226

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also i was mistaken, i don't own brigador. but apparently i own guacamelee, flywrench, furi, and LISA which all fit the bill for cleaning indie cobwebs out of my steam backlog

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Flywrench is so good

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Cowcaster posted:

well katana zero wound up being ok i guess. not as good as hotline miami, but what is? it did feel like it was trying too hard to ape the unreliable narrator stuff, and wanted to have a deeper more metaphysical plot than the author could truly pull off, but at the end of the day you get to chop up a bunch of guys with a samurai sword while wearing a bath robe.

I'm glad it didn't have a lovely "Turns out the guy was a loser all along hallucinating all this" twist and they actually stuck to their guns katanas. Dude just really liked his bathrobe. Awfully ballsy on the dev team for ending it on such a cliffhanger though.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Lisa is fantastic, the base game at least.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I loved FURI but the Sniper boss is a ballbuster

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Accordion Man posted:

Lisa is fantastic, the base game at least.

Hell yeah it is

Well, most of it is at least

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I decided to play Shadow Hearts, Illbleed, and Pathologic 2 for spooky month. Shadow Hearts is still good and Illbleed is still weird and very Dreamcast. I haven't played much of Pathologic 2 but I absolutely love the atmosphere and music and can tell a lot of the people I'm talking to aren't going to make it.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I wish Sinister City wasn't a buggy mess because it has a very similar vibe to Illbleed and I love them both for it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Mr E posted:

I decided to play Shadow Hearts, Illbleed, and Pathologic 2 for spooky month. Shadow Hearts is still good and Illbleed is still weird and very Dreamcast. I haven't played much of Pathologic 2 but I absolutely love the atmosphere and music and can tell a lot of the people I'm talking to aren't going to make it.

loving good selections

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

also i was mistaken, i don't own brigador. but apparently i own guacamelee, flywrench, furi, and LISA which all fit the bill for cleaning indie cobwebs out of my steam backlog

you've got good times ahead of you

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

One of these days I should finally play the Shadow Hearts games. They seem extremely unique and weird.

May 8, 2006

shadow hearts owns

the third one is the weakest but i don't remember it being terrible, i would say you've pretty much got what the series has to offer by the end of the first two though

edit: though i bet the mechanic of managing that one girl's weight/calories in combat hasn't aged well, and also wasn't good then

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Flywrench is so good

It is, and hard too. I couldn't finish it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Mr E posted:

You should consider Koudelka if you're up for a weird mishmash of flawed gameplay with very good or at least very interesting everything else.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

FirstAidKite posted:

You should consider Koudelka if you're up for a weird mishmash of flawed gameplay with very good or at least very interesting everything else.

That's definitely on my list to play sometime soon, I always hear it's good.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
There's a lot of bosses in Soulslikes that I think of as "knight" bosses, because they remind me of fights like Artorius and the Fume Knight. Most of their attacks are melee combos with good tracking that you're generally expected to dodge using i frames rather than physically getting out of their way. You usually have to remember how many hits each combo is, what direction to dodge each attack in, and which combos are safe to punish with counterattacks or by healing. The boss can be made easier or harder by changing the amount of memorization you have to do, like a boss where dodging forwards is always safe is going to be easier than a boss that sometimes punishes forward dodges but sometimes rewards them. Throw in a few "weird" attacks like a circle AoE or something and you've got a pretty good boss. The knight bosses in Dark Souls 1/2 were universally praised and it's no surprise that they're much more common in Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. In Code Vein, every boss I've fought except one is a knight boss (to the point where it's a bit repetitive and I'm craving more gimmick bosses).

The most important thing you have to learn in every knight boss, however, is its rhythm. That is, how long is the delay between the boss' tell and when you need to press the dodge button. Usually this is the same timing as the delay between successive hits in the boss' melee combos, hence my use of the word rhythm. If the rhythm is 0.5 seconds and it's a three hit combo, then the dodge, executed correctly, goes something like:

boss begins attack
(wait 0.5 seconds)
dodge
(wait 0.5 seconds)
dodge
(wait 0.5 seconds)
dodge
counterattack

(Obviously, you aren't actually measuring out the fractions of a second with a stopwatch, you just learn it as muscle memory). The key thing is that nearly every attack the boss does uses the same rhythm. Attacks that break the rhythm usually only do so on the first hit of the combo (or aren't combos) and leave the delay between attacks the same.

The whole point of this effortpost is, I really really loving hate it when multiphase bosses change their rhythms in phase 2. It's really bad design and makes the muscle memory for phase 2 take twice as long to learn because you have to unlearn phase 1's first (on top of needing to beat phase 1 to even get a chance to practice it). I was reminded of this because the boss Gilded Hunter in Code Vein breaks the rule and was a lovely rear end boss fight for it (it was also bad for a few other reasons). This isn't a Code Vein exclusive problem though. Off the top of my head Ludwig from the Bloodborn DLC breaks this rule too and I hated that fight for that reason. Ironically this is less of a problem in early Souls games cause most bosses didn't have multiple phases.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

We have entered a new era
https://twitter.com/SluggoIsLit/status/1180373996904370177

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

There's a lot of bosses in Soulslikes that I think of as "knight" bosses, because they remind me of fights like Artorius and the Fume Knight. Most of their attacks are melee combos with good tracking that you're generally expected to dodge using i frames rather than physically getting out of their way. You usually have to remember how many hits each combo is, what direction to dodge each attack in, and which combos are safe to punish with counterattacks or by healing. The boss can be made easier or harder by changing the amount of memorization you have to do, like a boss where dodging forwards is always safe is going to be easier than a boss that sometimes punishes forward dodges but sometimes rewards them. Throw in a few "weird" attacks like a circle AoE or something and you've got a pretty good boss. The knight bosses in Dark Souls 1/2 were universally praised and it's no surprise that they're much more common in Dark Souls 3 and Bloodborne. In Code Vein, every boss I've fought except one is a knight boss (to the point where it's a bit repetitive and I'm craving more gimmick bosses).

The most important thing you have to learn in every knight boss, however, is its rhythm. That is, how long is the delay between the boss' tell and when you need to press the dodge button. Usually this is the same timing as the delay between successive hits in the boss' melee combos, hence my use of the word rhythm. If the rhythm is 0.5 seconds and it's a three hit combo, then the dodge, executed correctly, goes something like:

boss begins attack
(wait 0.5 seconds)
dodge
(wait 0.5 seconds)
dodge
(wait 0.5 seconds)
dodge
counterattack

(Obviously, you aren't actually measuring out the fractions of a second with a stopwatch, you just learn it as muscle memory). The key thing is that nearly every attack the boss does uses the same rhythm. Attacks that break the rhythm usually only do so on the first hit of the combo (or aren't combos) and leave the delay between attacks the same.

The whole point of this effortpost is, I really really loving hate it when multiphase bosses change their rhythms in phase 2. It's really bad design and makes the muscle memory for phase 2 take twice as long to learn because you have to unlearn phase 1's first (on top of needing to beat phase 1 to even get a chance to practice it). I was reminded of this because the boss Gilded Hunter in Code Vein breaks the rule and was a lovely rear end boss fight for it (it was also bad for a few other reasons). This isn't a Code Vein exclusive problem though. Off the top of my head Ludwig from the Bloodborn DLC breaks this rule too and I hated that fight for that reason. Ironically this is less of a problem in early Souls games cause most bosses didn't have multiple phases.

I thought you used a Zweihander almost exclusively but I guess not since with the Gilded Hunter it was really easy to block your way through both phases.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Oct 6, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Andrast posted:

I thought you used a Zweihander almost exclusively but I guess not since with the Gilded Hunter was trivially easy to block your way through both phases.

Souls confession:

I often forget I'm allowed to block, especially in this game where shields aren't separate items

Gilded Hunter would still be a bad boss even if it were easy though. If nothing else, it having an attack where projectiles physically block your view of what the boss is doing is terrible design (even if I eventually figured out a way to make sure that didn't happen)

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Souls confession:

I often forget I'm allowed to block, especially in this game where shields aren't separate items

Gilded Hunter would still be a bad boss even if it were easy though. If nothing else, it having an attack where projectiles physically block your view of what the boss is doing is terrible design (even if I eventually figured out a way to make sure that didn't happen)

Yeah it wasn't a great boss. I just stayed in his face and blocked the whole battle since that was the safest way to do it.

The Zweihander is really good for blocking in this game. By far the best weapon for it that I've found.

Andrast fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 6, 2019

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
When it comes to knight bosses, do you prefer knights whose movesets are similar to what a player can do or knights whose movesets are very clearly supernatural and above and beyond what the player is capable of?

Like, comparing someone like Havel, Garl Vinland, or the dark souls 2 gank squad with bosses like Artorias, Lost Sinner, Alonne, or Lady Maria

FirstAidKite fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Oct 6, 2019

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

you gotta have both imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

FirstAidKite posted:

When it comes to knight bosses, do you prefer knights whose movesets are similar to what a player can do or knights whose movesets are very clearly supernatural and above and beyond what the player is capable of?

well I call them knights but in my mind the definition is just what I laid out: primarily melee bosses who you dodge with i frames instead of by physically getting out of the way. So like, Kalameet and Manus are "knights" by my definition which means it's probably a bad name but all the platonic examples of it are dudes in armor with weapons so

To answer your question, though, the best knights all have a few weird attacks to break up their rhythm a bit, such as Kalameet's fire breath or Artorius' self-buff. Those are easiest to flavor as magical attacks. More to the point, I hate fights with literal player-model NPCs because fighting enemies who have i frame dodges isn't my idea of fun