Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Anyway, that's quite the map, isn't it? I plan to spend tomorrow tracking down the gas stove, making sure it has enough cylinders, finding the solar phone charger, and so on.
Find a Ranch 99 and they should have those canned butane burner stovetops used for HotPot and the like.

And if you have cash to burn, GoalZero electric generator is basically a big set of rechargeable batteries that you can plug your fridge or TV into. May take a while to charge but it might get you some of the way through the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

Listen guys, we'd love to modernize our electrical infrastructure but it's just too gosh darn expensive. How could our economy bear such a price?

*shuts off entire state of California for 2 days*

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Morbus posted:

Listen guys, we'd love to modernize our electrical infrastructure but it's just too gosh darn expensive. How could our economy bear such a price?

*shuts off entire state of California for 2 days*

SoCal Edison is keeping the lights on. Not sure why PG&E can’t.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FCKGW posted:

Profit.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

They're trying to make it seem unreasonable for them to shut off power during wind storms, since they've done so much fraud and so little veg management that its just too hard.

I really doubt they're going to shut off the power to San Leandro, parts of Oakland, and parts of Stanford.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Kill Bristol posted:

Anyone with knowledge about the utility situation feel like doing an effort post on nationalizing utilities, with the big pro/cons of doing so? Or linking to a good deep dive on the topic. I know some people who aren’t right wing/neoliberal types oppose it, but I don’t really know enough about the arguments for/against to make an informed judgement on the subject.
There is literally no downside and all upside to nationalizing the utilities. Why would we want to continue to attach a profit motive to a basic economic and social good like electricity? Seriously, its all downside. They cut wherever they can (such as spending on power and gas line maintenance), avoid technology upgrades unless it makes them more money, and generally make things worse.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Davis should have sent rhe loving state police when enron did their poo poo fest with our grid.
It would have set a precendent for national public grid. loving scumbag was a fuckinf pussy

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Find a Ranch 99 and they should have those canned butane burner stovetops used for HotPot and the like.

And if you have cash to burn, GoalZero electric generator is basically a big set of rechargeable batteries that you can plug your fridge or TV into. May take a while to charge but it might get you some of the way through the day.

If you're at all handy, you can make your own for way less using a Husky container! You can then use the savings to purchase some stand alone solar panels and make your own setup.

GoalZero is real expensive, but it's all the package in one thing with nice hookups.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

cheese posted:

There is literally no downside and all upside to nationalizing the utilities. Why would we want to continue to attach a profit motive to a basic economic and social good like electricity? Seriously, its all downside. They cut wherever they can (such as spending on power and gas line maintenance), avoid technology upgrades unless it makes them more money, and generally make things worse.

No one ever tries to argue against this. They just say that government utilities are "inefficient," bureaucratic, not beholden to their customers (because you can punish PG&E with your wallet... oh wait), poorly managed, prone to corruption etc. etc. All those things it already is as a private company. It's loving stupid but liberals are braindead sheep so what are you gonna do. Gotta have that "free" market.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FilthyImp posted:

I actually own one of those, from Ranch 99. It needs new propane cylinders, as does the camp stove. Also I should probably buy some canned chili or somth. We usually cook from scratch.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Celexi posted:

surely pge couldn't have seen the writing on the wall year after year and instead of setting money on fire to pay for fires they cause they could have started burying electrical lines and enclosing transformers.

I don't live in an affected area but that sure is going to affect a lot of people

Just had this convo with someone. Think about all the places that overhead lines cross private property, or a stream, or a gas line, or a railway, or a freeway, or a steep mountain, etc. Think about what it would take to negotiate or eminent domain pieces of all those parcels, to plan all the re-routing and schedule all the digging, etc.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/bayarea/article/Underground-power-lines-don-t-cause-wildfires-12295031.php

quote:

The utility operates more than 134,000 miles of overhead power lines of one voltage or another across Northern and Central California. So while placing power lines underground in areas filled with flammable vegetation may sound sensible, it is far from cheap: It would cost well over $100 billion to do across PG&E’s entire territory.

So, burying power lines is a good idea, but it costs over a million a mile and in some places over 4 million a mile, and it's a vast undertaking regardless. They can and should make plans to bury the most dangerous lines, but hell, the reason the most dangerous lines are the most dangerous is because they aren't properly maintained, and properly maintaining them is far less expensive than burying them, so... uhhh.

Realistically even with a total state takeover and a huge bill, it'd probably take like 20+ years just to get like the most dangerous 25% of overhead lines buried.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
$100 billion is the amount of money the Fed conjured up out of nowhere to bail out the repo market last month. The money is there, rich people just don’t give a gently caress.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

The article quoted was written in 2017, not last month. The total price tag isn't important, it's the various considerations like geography, environment, property rights, etc that would make it a ridiculously difficult project.

Nationalizing PG&E would be an insanely difficult undertaking, let alone actually doing the things PG&E could/should be doing right now. Like, would you just scrape the top layer or two off of PG&E but leave everything underneath the same and hope that CA can figure out how to manage a huge corporate entity structured as a huge corporate entity, at least temporarily? Break it apart into SMUD/LADWPs? Some other thing?

Fill Baptismal
Dec 15, 2008
Yeah that’s what I was getting at. What would nationalization actually look like, what form would it take legally, administratively, in terms of governance, what are the arguments for a state agency vs. municipal ownership, etc.

Even if “install public ownership, problem solved” were true (and hey, maybe it is) there’s still lot of grey area there.

Also, re: powerlines, wouldn’t buried lines be bad because of seismic activity?

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

The Glumslinger posted:

We would prefer them to upgrade and properly maintain their equipment and surroundings

Totally agree. But right now I would prefer no more fires this year, and The equipment ain’t adequately maintained yet

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

FCKGW posted:

Partly because PGE has a much more sprawling and more heavily wooded service area than SoCal Ed

And partly because PGE sucks

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Zachack posted:

The article quoted was written in 2017, not last month. The total price tag isn't important, it's the various considerations like geography, environment, property rights, etc that would make it a ridiculously difficult project.

Nationalizing PG&E would be an insanely difficult undertaking, let alone actually doing the things PG&E could/should be doing right now. Like, would you just scrape the top layer or two off of PG&E but leave everything underneath the same and hope that CA can figure out how to manage a huge corporate entity structured as a huge corporate entity, at least temporarily? Break it apart into SMUD/LADWPs? Some other thing?

Well if cost isn’t important than just hire the people necessary to do the work, like the TVA a century ago.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Centrist Committee posted:

Well if cost isn’t important than just hire the people necessary to do the work, like the TVA a century ago.

"hire the people" doesn't necessarily solve those issues and it's not like hiring more operates like moving a slider where industry goes up but population growth and culture points go down. A lot of century old projects were performed with a complete disregard for the environment, civil rights, etc. The TVA was also formed during the great depression which carries a lot of benefits for a project like this.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

The point of nationalizing is that it gives you a platform whereby you can fund the requisite billions directly (i.e. taxes) while ensuring it actually gets spent on infrastructure development and without having to worry about shareholders or profitability. It also introduces some degree of accountability.

I don't think the argument is that public ownership magically solves the problem; it's that the problems we're facing are severe enough that we can't afford the burdens of a corporate monopoly on top of it all.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
In other countries that do care for the environment it doesn't take 5 years to plan and 3 more to build a sidewalk, this is a unique problem in California and America. Things can be done quickly if they actually wanted to.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

PG&E's webpages on the power shutoff have apparently been deleted the website just returns PG&E's cannot find page error. Their Twitter is blaming heavy traffic for those pages being down but while their website is slow I'm pretty sure heavy traffic can't delete things.

lmao

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Celexi posted:

In other countries that do care for the environment it doesn't take 5 years to plan and 3 more to build a sidewalk, this is a unique problem in California and America. Things can be done quickly if they actually wanted to.

What other countries are you referencing, specifically, and what knowledge do you have of their planning process? Is it just the idea that California is so onerous of a process that this statement must be true? That you hear of other infrastructure projects being completed overseas and so it must be true?

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Goodpancakes posted:

What other countries are you referencing, specifically, and what knowledge do you have of their planning process? Is it just the idea that California is so onerous of a process that this statement must be true? That you hear of other infrastructure projects being completed overseas and so it must be true?

I am from Portugal and while we have quite the bureaucratic red tape it amazes me how in California it is 20 times worse, and it wasn't this bad either in Czech Republic where I lived for sometime.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Celexi posted:

I am from Portugal and while we have quite the bureaucratic red tape it amazes me how in California it is 20 times worse, and it wasn't this bad either in Czech Republic where I lived for sometime.

Portugal is less than 1/4 the size of California and is a (mostly) sovereign nation. I skimmed the administrative structure of Portugal and it seems significantly different than how California is administered, although some of that may be differences in terms rather than function.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

I think the British planning commission hads us beat at the very least.

I've been reading some urban planning poo poo recently and I'm coming around to the chaos perspective of abolishing zoning restrictions entirely

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Our way of doing infrastructure sucks rear end and is insanely expensive and overpriced is one of the many many many many problems facing the state.

Have a friend whose wife works at a company that literally comes in after the low bid bails out of state infrastructure projects and does the job for time + materials, it's insanely wasteful of public money and the owner of the company is a millionaire many many times over.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yep. I've complained about it here before but you would not believe how many infrastructure projects we're forced to hand over to contractors we know are going to gently caress the project up and then bail because they've done it do us multiple times before, but they're still somehow registered as government contractors and they entered the lowest bid so welp! Sometimes we can gently caress around with minimum requirement specifications to try to cut out known fraudsters, but it's a tightrope act.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Goodpancakes posted:

I've been reading some urban planning poo poo recently and I'm coming around to the chaos perspective of abolishing zoning restrictions entirely

My understanding is that is how Tokyo handles it as well.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/melissacolorado/status/1181652383811567616?s=20

Lol

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So much for 24 hours notice I guess? How does PG&E still have people in limbo over a potential 36 hour blackout that could start tomorrow morning before most people have even woken up?

How is this allowed? How many times do we need to get bent over the table by energy companies as a state before enough is enough?

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I posted on my Assemblyperson's Facebook about how PG&E got away with murdering all those people in the Camp Fire and somebody rolled in to sealion about the definition of murder.

So, a few more times, at least, apparently.

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Zachack posted:

"hire the people" doesn't necessarily solve those issues and it's not like hiring more operates like moving a slider where industry goes up but population growth and culture points go down. A lot of century old projects were performed with a complete disregard for the environment, civil rights, etc. The TVA was also formed during the great depression which carries a lot of benefits for a project like this.

Well the reality today is that PG&E increasingly oscillates between cutting service and burning down cities. On the other hand we have historical examples of mass public works in projects like the TVA. We have contemporary proposals in the GND. We have contemporary examples with China. And we have the money as evidenced by trillions in QE in general and $100 bn+ in recent Fed interventions in particular. If you're asking how to do nationalization under the Trump administration within a market-based, neoliberal capitalist economic order, then I concede it isn't possible and the future is more expensive, less reliable service.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Jaxyon posted:

My understanding is that is how Tokyo handles it as well.

japanese zoning is set nationally and tends to be non-exclusionary

it is pretty cool imo

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/melissacolorado/status/1181673547208355840?s=20

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Oh cool now they're going to start shutoffs at midnight. Hope you didn't plan for their original estimate of 5AM!

e. Sorry for linking Mercury News but they have the latest map of affected areas here. If they stick to this I'd avoid having my power shut off by like five blocks, so guess I'm stockpiling tonight just in case.

Sydin fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Oct 8, 2019

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Sydin posted:

Oh cool now they're going to start shutoffs at midnight. Hope you didn't plan for their original estimate of 5AM!

e. Sorry for linking Mercury News but they have the latest map of affected areas here. If they stick to this I'd avoid having my power shut off by like five blocks, so guess I'm stockpiling tonight just in case.

Yeah, I'm very narrowly in a lucky triangle in the middle of Napa. The lines are underground here, so God-willing, we'll dodge that bullet.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Sydin posted:

How is this allowed? How many times do we need to get bent over the table by energy companies as a state before enough is enough?

Until the general public starts treating privatized infrastructure with more distain than they treat socialized/public owned infrastructure and services.

Also until all the politicians stop being financially beholden to (or on the loving boards of) all the lovely companies that are constantly loving everybody.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

quote:

How is this allowed? How many times do we need to get bent over the table as a state before enough is enough?

Ftfy

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

CPColin posted:

I posted on my Assemblyperson's Facebook about how PG&E got away with murdering all those people in the Camp Fire and somebody rolled in to sealion about the definition of murder.

So, a few more times, at least, apparently.

it's only murder if you can't afford good lawyers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hmm so it looks like my home is solano won't be affected today but my work site in Coco county will be https://m.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/bay-area-calif-power-outage-map-14503599.php%20

Looking at the map, thats a whole shitload of people