Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Push El Burrito posted:

Hey now, there's also the New York Times.

Sure, but the "statements" from Republican leaders like McConnell always seem to find their way onto WaPo's opinion pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MSDOS KAPITAL posted:

Why were you only accidentally permabanned.

our admin staff for a while was a genocide denier, skeeter from that doug rape comic, and a guy who was desperately trying to keep things running

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

NewMars posted:

Yeah, having a full quarter of your own infamously lockstep party want you gone is a terrible, terrible indicator.
Wait, that says 28%

And Dems up to 86%

Holy poo poo that's bad for Trump

only 60% of Republicans think the request to Ukraine was appropriate

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

NewMars posted:

Yeah, having a full quarter of your own infamously lockstep party want you gone is a terrible, terrible indicator.

I'm sure at least some of that 25% is true believers in the "impeachment will backfire and help Trump" argument.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s a very common practice for newspapers to publish opinion pieces by foreign officials like this. Happens all the time. There’s no reason to freak out about it once you remember that opinion pieces are not really curated for content in the way you want, and they aren’t meant to reflect the opinion of the publisher or the newspaper staff.

It's also very common practice for you to defend fascists. Hopefully, both get banned.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

theflyingorc posted:

Wait, that says 28%

And Dems up to 86%

Holy poo poo that's bad for Trump

only 60% of Republicans think the request to Ukraine was appropriate

He had to choose the better figure, which is 25% of lean Republican. Self identified Republicans are at 28%!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

"Impeached and removed" is only at 18% GOP though in that poll. Still significant but still a lot of work to be done

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Flip Yr Wig posted:

He had to choose the better figure, which is 25% of lean Republican. Self identified Republicans are at 28%!

I think, in light of his past business success, that we should disabuse ourselves of the notion that Donald Trump knows what numbers even are. Surely an intern gave him that number and said it was good.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

At this point he's become toxic enough that it's just going to keep getting worse and I'm starting to have tiny, fragile hopes that he might actually be convicted by the senate. I know, I know, but holy poo poo those numbers are bad.

And I can't enjoy any of this because he just stood by and told a dictator to go full genocide on a US ally, probably setting the Middle East back an entire generation and reviving ISIS in full.

God drat you, Trump.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Trabisnikof posted:

I won’t hold my breath waiting for WaPo to publish 2 pieces by Kurdish leaders.

They did post both these around the same time, for what its worth:

Trump’s Syria decision reflects his stunning ignorance of the situation (This was an official "this is the view of the Post" article)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...fd44_story.html

As Trump abandons Syrian Kurds, a top commander pleads for U.S. support (which at least quotes Kurdish leaders extensively)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/07/trump-abandons-syrian-kurds-top-commander-pleads-us-support/

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Munkeymon posted:

My read of the post I was quoting was saying the opposite: that WaPo's Opinion section must be Real Bad because we, here in this thread, keep getting links to bad WaPo Op-Eds. I could be reading that wrong, of course, but it's certainly wrong to assume that their Opinion section is particularly bad based just on what gets linked here because that set will always be biased towards what will piss the thread off.

Can you point to any examples from WaPo recently of an Op-Eds that is as good as posting an Op-Ed from the leader of a genocide demographics correction is bad?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

KillHour posted:

What the hell happened to the GOP that this poo poo with Turkey isn't causing them to immediately turn on Trump? Are they really hitching their entire party to an isolationist ~20% of the population?

It's a whole combination of factors, but the biggest one is that primaries don't reflect reality and a ton of GOP politicians are terrified of Trump's relatively small base.

This is why the number of independents and Democrats supporting impeachment doesn't matter too much from the Republican side of the aisle and why the math even gets a little bit fuzzy when it comes to Republican support. There might be enough support for impeachment to cost some random Republican senator their seat, but that doesn't matter if they're going to lose their primary before they ever even face the wrath of Republicans that are pissed off at Trump.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/kaitlancollins/status/1181978838865207297

Incredibly weak stuff.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

I think, in light of his past business success, that we should disabuse ourselves of the notion that Donald Trump knows what numbers even are. Surely an intern gave him that number and said it was good.

He continually fired internal pollsters that would give him factual data. Then they just began to lie or exaggerate and he hired them on.

Trump is in a bubble of his own creation because he hates the idea that people loathe him. Personally I'm waiting for that number of republicans to rise and he blasts them for being "disloyal" which will probably make them rise even more.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

mistaya posted:

At this point he's become toxic enough that it's just going to keep getting worse and I'm starting to have tiny, fragile hopes that he might actually be convicted by the senate. I know, I know, but holy poo poo those numbers are bad.
Trump PROBABLY won't be removed by the Senate

But I'm comfortable saying that the odds are no longer effectively 0. It's hard to imagine his handling of this being poorer. He's currently got Lindsey Graham saying he's wrong on Twitter, and nearly everyone is critiquing his decisions RE: Turkey.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Oh no. Don't do that. wait. come back

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

How courageous.

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011

Translation: Kill as many brown people as you want, we only care about the Christians.

To the White House, the only people who count as humans are white people, and to a lesser extent brown Christians.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

weird how these guys sound like gop congressmen.

https://twitter.com/HKesvani/status/1181972931074838528

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

So basically the Hannibal Meme with The White House going "Why would Turkey do this?

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

theflyingorc posted:

Trump PROBABLY won't be removed by the Senate

But I'm comfortable saying that the odds are no longer effectively 0. It's hard to imagine his handling of this being poorer. He's currently got Lindsey Graham saying he's wrong on Twitter, and nearly everyone is critiquing his decisions RE: Turkey.

Yeah to be fair this is exactly where I'm at. Probably not but the odds are no longer 0. What's going to suck is the Kavenaugh effect where it gets this loving close and then fails anyways.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Paradoxish posted:

It's a whole combination of factors, but the biggest one is that primaries don't reflect reality and a ton of GOP politicians are terrified of Trump's relatively small base.

This is why the number of independents and Democrats supporting impeachment doesn't matter too much from the Republican side of the aisle and why the math even gets a little bit fuzzy when it comes to Republican support. There might be enough support for impeachment to cost some random Republican senator their seat, but that doesn't matter if they're going to lose their primary before they ever even face the wrath of Republicans that are pissed off at Trump.

A thought: Some Republican candidates are going to try to stay silent until after their primary, at which point they'll jump to being anti-Trump to do better in the general.

Part of why the inquiry should last until at least June/July

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

theflyingorc posted:

A thought: Some Republican candidates are going to try to stay silent until after their primary, at which point they'll jump to being anti-Trump to do better in the general.

Part of why the inquiry should last until at least June/July

If the inquiry lasts that long it seriously risks getting drowned out by the primaries and by the short attention span of the public.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

an AOL chatroom posted:

So basically the Hannibal Meme with The White House going "Why would Turkey do this?

Eric Andre meme*

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

"Bad idea"

Go gently caress yourself

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

NewMars posted:

Especially since all the Never-Trumpers self-purged.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Flip Yr Wig posted:

Just want to confirm that the 25% does indeed come from polled Republicans in the latest WaPo poll.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1L-XRdXdqB2Rd0ImdcMC2yoCG8Nh-2rhdZN9xlbZaRqM/edit#gid=0'

Like, that really is an utterly disastrous number that Trump is gleefully bragging about. I won't speculate about whether he actually understands that or not.

I highly encourage everyone to read through this entire spreadsheet. It's BAD for Trump.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Failed Imagineer posted:

Eric Andre meme*

Hannibal Buress

Objurium
Aug 8, 2009

GlyphGryph posted:

They did post both these around the same time, for what its worth:

Trump’s Syria decision reflects his stunning ignorance of the situation (This was an official "this is the view of the Post" article)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...fd44_story.html

As Trump abandons Syrian Kurds, a top commander pleads for U.S. support (which at least quotes Kurdish leaders extensively)
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/10/07/trump-abandons-syrian-kurds-top-commander-pleads-us-support/

Oh cool! Guess that solves that then.

It's almost like the loving issue has more to do with the profit-driven media incentive to 'both sides' a given topic when one of those sides happens to be 'actually genocide is okay because'

e: Here's Nazi propaganda alongside the official™ opinion of this esteemed newspaper that the final solution, is indeed, unacceptable. We report, you decide.

Democracy Dies in Darkness, afterall :smug:

skylined!
Apr 6, 2012

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

KillHour posted:

I highly encourage everyone to read through this entire spreadsheet. It's BAD for Trump.

Oh hey they actually reached people on a cell phone

quote:

This Washington Post-Schar School poll was conducted by telephone Oct. 1-6, 2019 among
a random national sample of 1,007 adults with 69 percent reached on cell phones and 31
percent on landlines. Overall results have a margin of sampling error of 3.5
percentage points, including design effects due to weighting. Sampling, data
collection and tabulation by SSRS of Glen Mills, Pa.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/context/oct-1-6-2019-washington-post-schar-school-poll/712f999b-b8d1-4c82-a78c-a65edc84dbd0/

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

Ogmius815 posted:

It’s a very common practice for newspapers to publish opinion pieces by foreign officials like this. Happens all the time. There’s no reason to freak out about it once you remember that opinion pieces are not really curated for content in the way you want, and they aren’t meant to reflect the opinion of the publisher or the newspaper staff.

gently caress you, you weirdo. Yes, newspapers are responsible for the content of the “Opinions” section when they give a platform to pure propaganda (this includes US officials). It’s a terrible practice and deserves to be called out. Doing it “all the time” is no excuse for publishing lies without direct analytic annotation.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

the post publishing opinion articles from actual world leaders seems somewhat useful such that you can at least see directly what they're trying to sell and they're putting it under the name of the actual person spouting it

giving regular trump sycophants daily columns to spout barely-literate propaganda that tows whatever talking points were most recently released laundered through a regular columnist, on the other hand, there's nothing to be gained there

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

It's a bad idea but we're getting out of the way and, in fact, we were the ones who announced your plans to invade Syria

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer
They are doing nothing to turn around the trend of these polls either. Their response for weeks has just been sticking their fingers in their ears and saying nuh-uh, and while that seemed to work ok with the Mueller report it’s not going to move anyone out of the impeach column. On top of that there is a lot of time for things to continue to get worse and Trump is not getting any less unhinged.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

The Super-Id posted:

They are doing nothing to turn around the trend of these polls either. Their response for weeks has just been sticking their fingers in their ears and saying nuh-uh, and while that seemed to work ok with the Mueller report it’s not going to move anyone out of the impeach column. On top of that there is a lot of time for things to continue to get worse and Trump is not getting any less unhinged.

A huge problem with the Mueller stuff is that things would go radio silent for months at a time killing any potential momentum. And then when it finally came out it was a letdown that the GOP was prepared to deal with.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

evilweasel posted:

the post publishing opinion articles from actual world leaders seems somewhat useful such that you can at least see directly what they're trying to sell and they're putting it under the name of the actual person spouting it

giving regular trump sycophants daily columns to spout barely-literate propaganda that tows whatever talking points were most recently released laundered through a regular columnist, on the other hand, there's nothing to be gained there

I still wouldn’t do it without analysis, at least not in the middle of a crisis. If that means you don’t get a statement, we’ll no great loss - world leaders push out enough propaganda that you could put together an article on what they’re selling without giving them a direct platform to hock it.

twice burned ice
Dec 29, 2008

My stove defies the laws of physics!

evilweasel posted:

If I wanted to know Erdogan's talking points, I'd read Turkish state media. Fascist propaganda has no place in a paper of record, which the Washington Post professes to be.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

Stickman posted:

I still wouldn’t do it without analysis, at least not in the middle of a crisis. If that means you don’t get a statement, we’ll no great loss - world leaders push out enough propaganda that you could put together an article on what they’re selling without giving them a direct platform to hock it.

The issue is that opinions aren't supposed to have the weight of reporting, but in actuality, it's really close. Even if you don't condone it, it FEELS like you do if you print it without specific disclaimers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

platforming an opinion is endorsing it.