Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I do think the idea of the conference table on the bridge would've been much better for TNG, they often (especially early) had conferences during critical times so they could all talk and figure out how to proceed, it would've been better if picard had just been able to swing 180 degrees and call his officers to gather around without leaving the bridge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

No there should have been a button to make the table come out of the floor

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

MikeJF posted:

I do think the idea of the conference table on the bridge would've been much better for TNG, they often (especially early) had conferences during critical times so they could all talk and figure out how to proceed, it would've been better if picard had just been able to swing 180 degrees and call his officers to gather around without leaving the bridge.

In real life, maybe. But on a show that would have looked incredibly awkward at best. There’s a lot to be said for breaking the tension of a scene with a quick little transition to that other room.

Also, imagine the enemy just sitting there waiting for a response while Picard turns around to his extremely 1980s conference table.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
One of the few things that feels really dated about TNG to me is the conference room, where Geordi or Data or whoever stands up at the front and gives a powerpoint presentation on a single tiny screen.

The little conference room behind the bridge on the NX-01 was pretty great, though.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Big Mean Jerk posted:

In real life, maybe. But on a show that would have looked incredibly awkward at best. There’s a lot to be said for breaking the tension of a scene with a quick little transition to that other room.

Also, imagine the enemy just sitting there waiting for a response while Picard turns around to his extremely 1980s conference table.

Again, why break tension with a transition when you can BUILD tension with a transformation sequence

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

No there should have been a button to make the table come out of the floor

That's reserved for the manual control USB joystick.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

MikeJF posted:

the scale just starts at a random point that doesn't even vaguely mean anything useful like 'snows about here'

It isn't random. Celsius zeroes at fresh water freezing and Fahrenheit zeroes at brine freezing.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nullsmack posted:

That's reserved for the manual control USB joystick.

I'm pretty sure the Gravis Blackhawk used a gameport, not USB.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah but on the other hand the first time they encounter the borg they have a horribly high-tension faceoff and then after they blast the cube to disable it and while it's a race to see who gets repaired first and the enterprise shields are still down they retire to the conference room for a quick chat, it feels incredibly out of place. For things like they should've had a way to have gatherings on the bridge, even if they use the lounge for big presentations. It could've even been a situation-table like thing with a top-down map in it like the one in the middle of ops on DS9.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Oct 21, 2019

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Also the conference room makes sense for ergonomic and privacy reasons. It's a quiet place free of the distractions of the bridge, you're not distracting the other bridge crew with your discussions on how the ship is totally hosed and we're all about to die, and if you have guests/dignitaries/whatever they can feel reassured that their dark secrets aren't going to be immediately spread throughout the ship's rumor mill... and depending on the nature of the guests, they can't snoop on the bridge readouts to see what the shield frequency of the day is).

Also from a storytelling perspective, you can change up the lighting in the conference room and play with shadows or what-not... the early-TNG conference room is much more interesting than the late-TNG conference room.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Strictly speaking you don't really need a table on the bridge - we already have plenty of scenes where everyone's discussing the current situation on the bridge.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They had that big open area between Picard and the helm. Shoulda just busted out some sawhorses and a sheet of plywood whenever they needed to have a meeting.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

MikeJF posted:

Yeah but on the other hand the first time they encounter the borg they have a horribly high-tension faceoff and then after they blast the cube to disable it and while it's a race to see who gets repaired first and the enterprise shields are still down they retire to the conference room for a quick chat, it feels incredibly out of place. For things like they should've had a way to have gatherings on the bridge, even if they use the lounge for big presentations. It could've even been a situation-table like thing with a top-down map in it like the one in the middle of ops on DS9.

I mean this is just tv. There's always time for a chat, always time for the characters to come look at the thing. Always time for the captain to get to the bridge.

How often do Star Trek characters refuse to tell each other what's going on over the communicator, even when there's danger and/or time pressure, instead saying something like "you better come see this for yourself captain!"

Them just chilling while the Borg cube is right there is pretty funny though, it's true.

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

bull3964 posted:

It was one of Merritt Butrick's last roles too, dying less than a year later from AIDS.

Judson Scott was also the Romulan that Voyager beamed to the Delta quadrant from the past in "Message in a Bottle."

Check yourself, no one dies from aids.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It seems pretty straightforward to have an enclosed meeting room for briefings that might involve sensitive information. Only real reason against is if you have something against exposition.

It's less interesting of a room, but it's probably cheaper than having to keep extras fiddling around in the background.

MikeJF posted:

Whatever you're used to is intuitive, whatever you're not falls apart.

The thing is, once you acknowledge the inherent subjectivity of the preference of one set of numbers over another, most of the arguments fall apart, especially with temperature.

I like the relics of older numeric systems that bring into question the universality of a lot of mathematical assumptions, like french and welsh having artifacts of a base 20 system or the fact that the number of the beast predates the numeric system people usually try expressing it with.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

marktheando posted:

How often do Star Trek characters refuse to tell each other what's going on over the communicator, even when there's danger and/or time pressure, instead saying something like "you better come see this for yourself captain!"

The red lights are on, klaxons blaring. Plasma clouds spew from the reactor, already incinerating several engineers. The computer dispassionately intones ten seconds left until a catastrophic explosion.

"LaForge to the bridge. We've got a situation down here."

"On my way. Picard out."

The computer reaches eight as Picard strolls in. After five minutes of heated discussion, the countdown reaches four seconds.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if there was a trap door underneath everybody's chair that went into frictionless slides that delivered them into the conference room.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Underneath the panel, that thing hooked up to 7 different Aliexpress adapters in order to plug it into the Enterprise's USB-J ports.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Trickjaw posted:

Fine, he died of toxoplasmosis which he probably wouldn't have even known he had if his immune system wasn't compromised.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

The red lights are on, klaxons blaring. Plasma clouds spew from the reactor, already incinerating several engineers. The computer dispassionately intones ten seconds left until a catastrophic explosion.

"LaForge to the bridge. We've got a situation down here."

"On my way. Picard out."

The computer reaches eight as Picard strolls in. After five minutes of heated discussion, the countdown reaches four seconds.

Then Troi orders Geordi to kill himself to fix the problem.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

davidspackage posted:

Underneath the panel, that thing hooked up to 7 different Aliexpress adapters in order to plug it into the Enterprise's USB-J ports.

everything is directly fed by the ElectroPlasmaSystem which uses lava rock as a coolant

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What if there was a trap door underneath everybody's chair that went into frictionless slides that delivered them into the conference room.

*Worf exits a turbolift with a targ hanging from his leg*

WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE THAT LEVER?

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I couldn't remember if it was a Gravis joystick, For some reason I thought it was the Logitech Extreme 3D pro but it's been ages since I've seen that movie. I know that one has USB since I have one, hence the USB comment.
Do you guys think the Ferengi have taken over for Aliexpress by then?

Dysgenesis
Jul 12, 2012

HAVE AT THEE!

Trickjaw posted:

You can die from HIV encephalopathy.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Nullsmack posted:

Do you guys think the Ferengi have taken over for Aliexpress by then?

Judging by what we've seen of Ferengi capitalism, 21st century capitalists would obliterate the Ferengi.

(Then again, maybe that's why the Ferengi are the major capitalists left; they're the only ones bad enough at it to keep it up in a modern era without either driving themselves to extinction or being lined up against the wall and shot during the revolution)

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Nullsmack posted:

I couldn't remember if it was a Gravis joystick, For some reason I thought it was the Logitech Extreme 3D pro but it's been ages since I've seen that movie. I know that one has USB since I have one, hence the USB comment.

I mock that bit with "this scene brought to you by Thrustmaster!" and someone pointed out it wasn't a Thrustmaster joystick. I did have to search to find out exactly which make and model it was though.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

The_Doctor posted:

I’ve not seen this variation on the TNG bridge lounge concept before, with the upstairs stations:

It reminds me of Main Mission from Space: 1999. That also had an upper level (which was almost never used for anything because it was too difficult to frame with whatever was happening on the lower floor).

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."

MikeJF posted:

Judging by what we've seen of Ferengi capitalism, 21st century capitalists would obliterate the Ferengi.

(Then again, maybe that's why the Ferengi are the major capitalists left; they're the only ones bad enough at it to keep it up in a modern era without either driving themselves to extinction or being lined up against the wall and shot during the revolution)

In one of the books the unfrozen Wall Street Guy becomes the Ambassador to Ferenginar. Must have been a nightmare for him when Rom reformed everything.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
If that mezzanine deck worked anything like my last office, its main effect would be to have people on each floor yelling at the other floor to shut the gently caress up because nobody could hear each other on one floor when anybody was talking on the other floor.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Payndz posted:

That also had an upper level (which was almost never used for anything because it was too difficult to frame with whatever was happening on the lower floor).

Galactica's CIC had an upper level that was largely used for dramatic hushed conversations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

CPColin posted:

If that mezzanine deck worked anything like my last office, its main effect would be to have people on each floor yelling at the other floor to shut the gently caress up because nobody could hear each other on one floor when anybody was talking on the other floor.

Sorry in the future they only have good acoustics.

And no wrinkles!

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

What happens if someone on the upper level has to tell a senior officer something urgent

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FuturePastNow posted:

What happens if someone on the upper level has to tell a senior officer something urgent

Throw your combadge at their head

Or just tap it I guess if you're a coward

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

The Bloop posted:

Throw your combadge at their head

Or just tap it I guess if you're a coward

TNG S8: Wesley figures out that the Starfleet logo is a perfect boomerang shape. Worf explains that jIvumnISchugh Quj jej is a traditional Klingon game involving small, sharpened objects thrown at high speeds. Dr. Crusher deals with a Sick Bay overflow.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Snow Cone Capone posted:

TNG S8: Wesley figures out that the Starfleet logo is a perfect boomerang shape. Worf explains that jIvumnISchugh Quj jej is a traditional Klingon game involving small, sharpened objects thrown at high speeds. Dr. Crusher deals with a Sick Bay overflow.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Latchcomb!

Really I just have the image of Wesley ninja-starring a combadge directly into Worf's forehead.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Drink-Mix Man posted:

It's for people to tumble over dramatically during fights, duh

Some crewmember would need to fall dead onto the conference table to show that this fight was serious.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012

ashpanash posted:

I like the idea that capitalism fell away but somehow there's still a Starbucks on every starship

I know my response to this post isn't on your point, but the basis of your "capitalism" comment comes up a lot. Capitalism doesn't have exclusivity on money, buying and selling things, or shops. All that has existed a long time before capitalism existed, even if capitalism took existing ideas and worked them into a larger philosophical system. I'd imagine money, in some form, will exist after capitalism as well (if there is an after-capitalism.)

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Latchcomb!

Really I just have the image of Wesley ninja-starring a combadge directly into Worf's forehead.

Whereupon he reacts like the Nausicaans playing darts in Quark's bar, or is Wesley the monster of the week in this episode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Zurui posted:

*Worf exits a turbolift with a targ hanging from his leg*

WHY DO WE EVEN HAVE THAT LEVER?

This made me lol