Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

Josef bugman posted:

Quick question to everyone, does anyone know a cheap place to rent a car for a few weeks?

For that timescale, buying a dead cheap one would work out?

Cat tax

From my brief attempt at Inktober.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

SNP want to give the vote to 16 year olds and EU citizens.

Labour should be all over that

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Has Blackford ever finished a sentence without proclaiming Scotland's independence?

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Julio Cruz posted:

lowering restrictions is at best a partial measure towards stopping people-trafficking since it only works if potential immigrants know about it

so it'd probably reduce trafficking from mainland Europe but it's not going to help Syrian refugees or working-class Chinese or anyone who can't easily access https://www.gov.uk/immigration to find out that they can get into the UK without needing to pay thousands to be smuggled in

any measure which reduces the chance of people dying in the back of a lorry in an industrial estate in Essex can only be a good thing

We already know that at least one of the victims, a Vietnamese girl, had attempted entry via France earlier before her family pulled all their savings to smuggle her in.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

sebzilla posted:

SNP want to give the vote to 16 year olds and EU citizens.

Labour should be all over that

I was saying in Discord today how I think there is an issue of time (in getting people registered, updating the Electoral Roll etc.). However, it would be a very good thing to secure votes for the next election. Put it on the manifesto and all but tie up the 14-16 year old vote for the election that follows.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you

EvilHawk posted:

Yeah let's just schedule an election which specifically disenfranchises a large part of the public who would in large numbers back Labour.

Becau

EvilHawk posted:

Exactly how has it been disproven?

By various academics indicating when their terms end, and it being after the 12th.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Pesmerga posted:

Becau

By various academics indicating when their terms end, and it being after the 12th.

Yeah students aren't known to ditch uni early or anything. That never happens.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
From Graun:

quote:

Many of us are very cautious of believing anything the prime minister said. We want it tied down before we agree to anything.

The 12 December election is less than a fortnight before Christmas, nine days before the shortest day of the year. The house must consider that in parts of this country it will be dark before 4pm. Many students will have just finished their term and gone home for Christmas ... and they risk being disenfranchised ...

As I was saying about students and their opportunity to vote on the dates in question, the latter point may not be the case on the 9 December and we will consider carefully any legislation proposed that locks in the date.

The theme of this is we don’t trust the prime minister. We want something that definitely and definitively takes no deal off the table and ensures that the voting rights of all of our citizens are protected ...

We agree that an early election is necessary. But also seek good reason, since no general election has been held in December since 1923 ...

When no deal is off the table, when the date for an election can be fixed in law, and when we can ensure that students are not being disenfranchised, we will back an election so this country can get the government it needs.

again, this may move the needle back toward the 9th

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747
It seems like supporting Labour means a lot of mood swings.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Pesmerga posted:

I really have no idea whether its relevant or not but term end is the absolute last date of the term, many students will finish before that final date.

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.
Hang on, I thought one of the problems was that the FTPA lets the government pick the date for the election, which we want to avoid, but if the Lib Dems or the SNP can put forward a motion to have an election on a date the government does NOT like, what's stopping Labour from doing the same? If they really do have good reason for wanting an election after a certain date, like after Christmas, what's stopping them from putting forward a motion thusly, and if the problem is now that the cat is out of the bag and the motion for the 9th has more momentum, why the hell didn't they have one ready to go the second we got confirmation of the 31st January extension? Wasn't the whole thing about waiting for the 31st extension? What am I missing?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Coohoolin posted:

Hang on, I thought one of the problems was that the FTPA lets the government pick the date for the election, which we want to avoid, but if the Lib Dems or the SNP can put forward a motion to have an election on a date the government does NOT like, what's stopping Labour from doing the same? If they really do have good reason for wanting an election after a certain date, like after Christmas, what's stopping them from putting forward a motion thusly, and if the problem is now that the cat is out of the bag and the motion for the 9th has more momentum, why the hell didn't they have one ready to go the second we got confirmation of the 31st January extension? Wasn't the whole thing about waiting for the 31st extension? What am I missing?

I think we were waiting for Johnson to *accept* the extension which he awkwardly announced he'd done as a point of order during Corbyns speech.

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo
The vote on the election is today right?

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
SNP have come out against backing the 12th Dec motion.

Can anyone find an actual link to the text of both motions?

e: wait, here is the LDEM one

https://twitter.com/Peston/status/1188364172335206400

e#2: no, wait, SNP is opposing the existing FTPA motion, not the hypothetical copy amendment

ronya fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Oct 28, 2019

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Sammy Wilson is such a loving stuttering wasteman, he should be a LibDem

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Coohoolin posted:

The PLP really don't want an election. Partly because they don't want to risk their seat, and partly because they don't want Corbyn in power.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This is the dumbest timeline so we'll probably have elections on both the 9th and the 12th and Parliament will vote on which set of results to accept. And the Lib Dems will vote for the one that gets a Tory majority with 1 extra LD MP and No Swinson.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Tesseraction posted:

Any of you wall fodders wit ha Times subscription please share with us these articles https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/may-at-10-by-anthony-seldon-grumpy-theresa-was-terrible-campaigner-say-ex-aides-rkkch2mgj

and https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/...-with-wt05nx2qh

They're apparently delightful knives into May's tenure.

Btw you can read a few articles for free if you register so you don't have to be wall fodder. And if you have more than one browser, more than one device......

1st link: TLDR: May was grumpy and uncommunicative, did not like the Strong and Stable thing and didn't believe in the dementia tax sufficiently.

Also noted this at the bottom of that first one:

quote:

"Mr Johnson’s team is finalising plans for social care, which he pledged to fix “once and for all”. However, some in government are pushing for the measures to be kept under wraps until after the next election."

2nd link: TLDR: more of the same. Didn't see the relevance of political 'friends', didn't make effort to bring cabinet colleagues onside, and more importantly, did not endear herself to her civil servants with a culture of fear (from Hill & Timothy), not clear but micromanagement either forced on her or encouraged by her via Hill & Timothy. Not assertive.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

jabby posted:

The PLP really don't want an election. Partly because they don't want to risk their seat, and partly because they don't want Corbyn in power.

that PLP well-known for their ability to constrain the leadership?

no, this is very much something internal to at least the shadow cabinet

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/C4Dispatches/status/1188831701654482945?s=19

Chuka Umana
Apr 30, 2019

by sebmojo

Yea if the Tories win in December the NHS is gone and I know people say every time the Tories win but seriously this time because if the Tories win they'll realize they can do anything without backlash from voters.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Even Ankh-Morpork can't escape the tedious grasp of Brexit

https://twitter.com/garius/status/1188854955932827653

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Thing with the student thing is surely about registering to vote. Like, we remind all of ours to register to vote here automatically, as part of the electronic enrolment thingy. And then manually, at induction.

...and then that they should actually register for postal votes in their parents' towns because this is a safe Labour seat, by me :smug: Not even unethical imo, since a non-Labour vote is also wasted here, just teaching them the joys of FPTP is all

Anything that pushes turnout up is good for us and bad for them, because Tories/olds always vote whereas people that are less likely to vote are far more likely to vote Labour. Likewise, anything that pushes turnout down - whether it be the student thing or just, like, it being really cold and dark and also there being some religious festivals on or some poo poo - is good for them.

We still need to have an election though obv

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
299-70, motion under the FTPA failed as it needed 424 votes

e: Amendments to the FTPA will be published this evening

ronya fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 28, 2019

Exioce
Sep 7, 2003

by VideoGames

Bobby Deluxe posted:

This is I guess a difference in outlook, because ultimately i'd say yes it is a good thing.

Inflating the housing market is morally wrong when it leaves an entire generation unable to buy because the prices are so high. People investing in housing and making money from renting out second homes purely for profit know, on some level, that they're reinforcing a situation that steals capital from renters. It's morally wrong and it needs to stop.

You say all those landlords should be compensated, I say that a person working full time minimum wage should be able to afford at the very least a flat that they will eventually own. The only way that's going to happen is if house prices fall and a labour government takes action against people owning second houses, especially where they are renting them out for hundreds, sometimes thousands of pounds profit per month.

Ultimately we both have an expectation of fairness, it's just that bizarrely yours leans heavily in favour of the landlords. Why do you have so much sympathy for them?

Also for clarity, exactly what do you mean by you pay the bank? Do the bank own the house? Do they transfer it to a private landlord? Or are you talking about a mortgage?

I agree that anyone working full time, irrespective of the status of the work, should be able to afford to purchase a property. That's a wages issue and also a supply issue. Housing construction hasn't kept up with a whole bunch of things, such as the increases in population and changes in social dynamics et al. Let's say with a wave of a magic wand we double the supply, we reduce both the price of purchasing and renting. We need to construct more, on top of other measures. Like most things though, it's a generational effort, and it can't be enacted without carrying the Centre. The Centre is (rightly) suspicious of Utopian visions and the demagogues who promote them.

I wouldn't say I'm in favour of landlords, it's just that I don't buy the narrative some will push of rich = bad and poor = good. There are plenty of decent rich people and plenty of lovely poor people, and some will use their poverty and that of others as an excuse for behaviours that similarly poor people wouldn't think to engage in.

I'm talking about a mortgage, by the way.

Carborundum posted:

So what age are you? You sound like the most Gen X guy imaginable. When was anyone who could remotely be called an idealist even close to power? Please tell me you are not talking about Nick Clegg.

Oh no, I'm not talking about those lot. I'm talking about the ordinary ideologues I've had the pleasure of knowing in my 40-odd years, Marxists, Anarchists, and others besides. They had big plans for the world, did the pickets and protests and leafleting, mocked the hypocrisy and failings of the Right relentlessly, got arrested on occasion, served time. Spent as much energy attacking those with broadly similar views for their lack of Ideological Purity than we did the 'enemy' too. The only valid perspective was our own. Everyone else was weak at best, bought-out at worst. Then they paired up, started families, poo poo got real for 'em, and to a person pretty much went dark. A few holdouts remained, the loudest and most abrasive for the most part. Their home lives, if they had them, tended to break down, their behaviours increasingly erratic. We would call them characters back in the day. Now, we'd say they had underlying mental health issues that brought them to the top, and then to the bottom when the attention and adulation melted away.

The same patterns repeat now. The solutions just as handwavey when it comes to financing it all, and how particular policies will play out in the real world. The end result is likely no different. And the Right carries on trucking. For all our efforts we had the War in Iraq, the War on Terror, the banking bailout, austerity, Brexit, Trump, everything. Money won. I'm no believer in Utopian visions anymore. Small changes, over time, carried by the Centre (Left). I'll vote Corbyn because from my perspective he's a good sort, if not perfect. But if he gets into power he's going to run into hard limits on what is actually achievable in the time that he has. And the ideological purists, being fickle creatures, will crucify him as a traitor to the revolution. I'm sure he knows that though, so kudos to him for persevering.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Remember folks, all the bad things that happened under neoliberal social democracy are actually the fault of all the other ideologies for having the audacity to exist whilst neoliberal social democracy was happening

The only solution to this is neoliberal social democracy

Lobster God
Nov 5, 2008
https://twitter.com/HackneyAbbott/status/1188862450436923393?s=19

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
This seems like a good place to ask this: a friend of mine is going for an interview tomorrow for a housing association looking to get a house with them. What kind of questions is she going to be asked? She’s a single mother and she is unfortunately naive as gently caress - has no control of her money, siphons it left right and centre; she gets charged the maximum the banks are allowed to charge for unauthorised overdrafts every single month, etc etc. I’ve offered to help with her budgeting and shopping time after time but she is always “too busy today”.

Are they going to talk to her about money and budgeting etc? If you turn up to this sort of thing with your payslips and a print out of a monthly budget does it help your case? Or do I just stop trying to help someone that doesn’t want to be helped?

She doesn’t vote of course, because she “doesn’t know anything about the parties, but the conservatives let you buy your council house so maybe them”.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

duckmaster posted:

This seems like a good place to ask this: a friend of mine is going for an interview tomorrow for a housing association looking to get a house with them. What kind of questions is she going to be asked? She’s a single mother and she is unfortunately naive as gently caress - has no control of her money, siphons it left right and centre; she gets charged the maximum the banks are allowed to charge for unauthorised overdrafts every single month, etc etc. I’ve offered to help with her budgeting and shopping time after time but she is always “too busy today”.

Are they going to talk to her about money and budgeting etc? If you turn up to this sort of thing with your payslips and a print out of a monthly budget does it help your case? Or do I just stop trying to help someone that doesn’t want to be helped?

She doesn’t vote of course, because she “doesn’t know anything about the parties, but the conservatives let you buy your council house so maybe them”.
Has she been in contact with your local council's housing options team at all? Step change for her debts, any of that?

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

Who wants what

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Cant wait for tuesday morning whem the mews runs a 5 hr session about how corbyn wished death on the PM

Wait till theu find boris is .00002% jewish therefore this solidifies corbyn being aN ANTI SEMITE

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Selsig Mawr and Sglodian Canalig for me please.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Ratjaculation posted:

Who wants what

Did they really need to translate Menu

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Ratjaculation posted:

Who wants what
I'll have "The Alexander Burger".

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK

jBrereton posted:

Has she been in contact with your local council's housing options team at all? Step change for her debts, any of that?

I don’t think she’s in any huge debt, just a £500 overdraft which is maxed out. Her solution to this was to open a Monzo account and use that, just ignoring the other bank account entirely. And a car loan which she pays £300 a month for for a deal that my brother (a car salesman) told her not to touch with a bargepole.

I seriously doubt she’s been in touch with anyone about anything. She was renting privately and got her shower fixed herself despite me telling her over and over again that it’s the landlords responsibility. She insisted it wasn’t, I told her to check her rental agreement but apparently she “didn’t have one”.

Lovely girl but holy loving poo poo.

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

Did they really need to translate Menu

I don't speak Welsh so I'm glad they did.

E: Oh wait. I seeeee what you mean

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

WAR CRIME GIGOLO posted:

Cant wait for tuesday morning whem the mews runs a 5 hr session about how corbyn wished death on the PM

Wait till theu find boris is .00002% jewish therefore this solidifies corbyn being aN ANTI SEMITE

Johnson's great grandfather was Turkish with Islamic roots, so Corbyn is islamaphobic as well as an anti-semite. Oh and Johnson went to Eton and Oxbridge therefore Corbyn is also anti- aspiration, practising politics of envy and about 2000 other things.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Oct 28, 2019

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

Ratjaculation posted:

I don't speak Welsh so I'm glad they did.

They could have translated with spacing or italics or something. It's hard to follow.

No I mean the other way around, did they need to translate it into Welsh? Like does anyone at all in Wales go and look at a menu and go "me...nu???? oh, it's a bwydlen, gotcha thanks!"

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

Ratjaculation posted:

Who wants what

Sglodion Canolig, selsig wedi'i fatro and saws cyri please

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

Pochoclo posted:

No I mean the other way around, did they need to translate it into Welsh? Like does anyone at all in Wales go and look at a menu and go "me...nu???? oh, it's a bwydlen, gotcha thanks!"

Yeah I realised what you meant edited. I'm confusing myself during my hunger stage.