Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
So my wife and I have been in Tongren, Guizhou province for the last few days (we came here to visit Fanjingshan). Pretty much every time we go outside, cabbies drive slowly past and yell at us in Chinese. They always have a woman in the car with them; are they pimping hookers or is something else going on?

On a separate note, is there a polite-but-firm way to say “stop taking photos of us”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

webmeister posted:

On a separate note, is there a polite-but-firm way to say “stop taking photos of us”?

Leave China.

They won't stop no matter how much you yell at them.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

JaySB posted:

I'm headed to Hong Kong next month. Should I stay at the Ritz Carlton or the JW Marriott?

Ritz has a dope bar.
InterContinental has a really nice view though!

Aelirea
Feb 12, 2015

Known Lecher posted:

If you're a rich businessman looking to be spirited off to the mainland in the dead of night I believe the Four Seasons is the go to choice.

That particular rich dude was a longer-term resident of the apartment building next door to the hotel building ("Four Seasons Place"), not that it really matters beyond you now knowing it exists.

The Four Seasons is nice for being right in Central while also allowing you to leave your room an hour before your flight and still make it.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

webmeister posted:

all cultures are equal and it could come off as xenophobic asking them to stop. embrace modern Chinese culture, my man

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I should clarify that I'm going for a friend's birthday party and that most of the activities will be done in Central. I'm also staying within the Marriott umbrella because I get employee pricing.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

webmeister posted:

"Shui Bian Pai! (pronounce shey? b'an! pie) (stop it please)

tino fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Sep 12, 2019

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

webmeister posted:

So my wife and I have been in Tongren, Guizhou province for the last few days (we came here to visit Fanjingshan). Pretty much every time we go outside, cabbies drive slowly past and yell at us in Chinese. They always have a woman in the car with them; are they pimping hookers or is something else going on?

walk up to them and say "shi kuai qian" then gesture for them to give you money.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Magna Kaser posted:

walk up to them and say "shi kuai qian" then gesture for them to give you money.

wow your chinese is so good, do you like chopsticks

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
I taught myself to say "two tickets please" but quickly realised how futile it was, since the other person would then talk for what felt like minutes explaining things.

I also learned "it was very tasty" which is nice to bust out for the old ladies at a roadside noodle stall

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

The Great Autismo! posted:

wow your chinese is so good, do you like chopsticks

i do not like chopsticks i love them

E Depois do Adeus
Jun 3, 2012

Nobody has better respect for intelligence than Donald Trump.

Does anyone know if you're allowed to study on a work visa?

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

Hi everybody, I'll be in Beijing from November 15-30 with a brief sojourn to Shanghai from November 21-24. Does anyone want to hang out? Also, I'm still going through OP but I'd love recommendations on things like day trips, etc. I'm waiting for my visa to finish processing before I book any day trips so I'm happy to field any input before then.

I can neither read nor speak a lick of Mandarin so that's gonna be fun.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
what do you want to do

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
Where abouts in Beijing you gonna be?

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

Don't go to Shanghai unless you have to !

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Shanghai isn't bad, just kinda boring. At least there's a TAco Bell

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Shanghai is cool for a short trip like that. Haters itt smh.

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Shanghai got Carl's Jr. so yeah. Hella worth it

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Come to Shanghai and see IFC, K11, iAPM and Times Square!

French concession is pretty cool tho

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

3 days is good for shang hai can see the old buildings and eat a xiaolong bao and then leave.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Lady Galaga posted:

Come to Shanghai and see IFC, K11, iAPM and Times Square!

French concession is pretty cool tho

i for real didnt know if this was a bit and those links would go to the hong kong versions of those malls lol

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
y'all hating, Shanghai is good for two days. head out after that tho, it's a much worse version of Hong Kong.

go to Hangzhou or Suzhou or some poo poo if you have like a week in Shanghai, IMO

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Suzhou is for wankers

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Smykowski posted:

Suzhou is for wankers

he's a tourist. tourists are wankers. what's wrong with u

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

sincx fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 23, 2021

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

The Great Autismo! posted:

he's a tourist. tourists are wankers. what's wrong with u

Sounds like we're agreeing then??

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Smykowski posted:

Sounds like we're agreeing then??

sure.

I said it the nice way in an effort to recommend him a place to visit, as that was the question he asked. you just came out guns-a-blazin' insulting the guy

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Hangzhou is cool, Suzhou sucks. Shanghai is a generic big city except for the bund and a lesser extent the FC. just one tourist’s opinion.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

sincx posted:

3 hours is good enough for Shanghai. take a selfie at the Bund, then take a train to the much more interesting city of Hangzhou.

ah yes go fight through crowds to see a lake.

i lived in hangzhou and shanghai about the same amount of time (though hz was in like 2009 lol) and besides west lake I can't think of much about hangzhou that's any better??

I'm not saying either is bad, living in both is fine, I just legit cannot think of what is more interesting about one than the other for a tourist.

Unless you're a tourist like me that likes to just walk around and see weird poo poo and eat in which case Shanghai is better just for the variety of poo poo you can eat.

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I like sightseeing, eating, drinking and chilling, generally. I have an Airbnb in Shanghai for sure for sure and am contemplating just doing a hostel in Beijing since I'm going on my own and am a pretty low-maintenance tourist.

I'm also probably gonna drop some money on Viator-arranged poo poo since I'll be in Beijing for big blocks of time, so I'll take tourism recommendations along those lines as well.

FWIW I am a 27-year-old woman narrowly escaping Thanksgiving with my family so it'd be nice to hang out with goons :downs:

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Magna Kaser posted:

I'm not saying either is bad

I am

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Doc Fission posted:

I have an Airbnb in Shanghai for sure for sure and am contemplating just doing a hostel in Beijing since I'm going on my own and am a pretty low-maintenance tourist.

Unless you know the owner of the Airbnb, it might be difficult to persuade them to give you copies of all the documents (proof of home ownership, copies of their ID etc.) so you can register with the PSB within the required 24 hours (although they're pretty forgiving on being late on the past). I know lots of people don't, my brother and family skipped it when they visited. Hotels sort that out for you behind the scenes.

TheReverend
Jun 21, 2005

When I lived there I guess you could kill time by...

- Spend 15 minutes in Lujiazui to look at the big buildings. Maybe go inside the Shanghai Tower if it's a clear day (lol)

- Go to the Sci Tech Museum stop on the subway to go buy fake poo poo at the AP mall.

- Go to the bund at night

- Go to Tian Zi Fang and gently caress around.

- Have dinner in Xintiandi

- People watch the marriage market at peoples square.

- try to find native English speakers to drink with in Jing An.

- Get claustrophobia at Yuyuan Gardens?

That's about it.

The best thing is to go to the train station and go to Beijing because they near old stuff to look at whereas Shanghai has a couple buildings from the 1850s that look like normal European or "old" American buildings.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Trammel posted:

Unless you know the owner of the Airbnb, it might be difficult to persuade them to give you copies of all the documents (proof of home ownership, copies of their ID etc.) so you can register with the PSB within the required 24 hours (although they're pretty forgiving on being late on the past). I know lots of people don't, my brother and family skipped it when they visited. Hotels sort that out for you behind the scenes.

if you're in town for a couple days of a bigger trip it's p easy to get away with that afaik. if you come and leave with no trace they might ding you but it's pretty low risk (there is a risk tho).

there's an apt in my building that I'm 99% sure is an airbnb often rented by foreigners given I see a new foreign face lugging their suitcase up the 5 floors of the walk up every few days.

and i'm positive none of them are registering since i live in a super strict part of shanghai that has extra registration requirements.

what are the requirements you ask???? my landlord had to come in person with the physical deed to the apartment and sign a thing saying he said I could live there. I told the police officer this was wacky and weird and she said yes it was but apparently there was some housing scam run by foreigners in my area she wouldn't elaborate on, so they cracked down and made extra rules.

elsewhere in shanghai it's literally a copy of the lease, the deed, and the owner's shenfenzheng and it's done in 2 minutes by the renter themselves.

They did go back on you having to re-register every time you leave and enter the country on a residence permit at least, or at least the last time I went at my current place the police officer got mad at me for coming and said I only needed to come if I changed my visa or my lease.

Trammel
Dec 31, 2007

Magna Kaser posted:

if you're in town for a couple days of a bigger trip it's p easy to get away with that afaik. if you come and leave with no trace they might ding you but it's pretty low risk (there is a risk tho).

Absolutely, 100% agree. Just I think it's worth pausing for thought, when deliberately planning to break a host country's laws while planning a tourist trip to that country.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Trammel posted:

Absolutely, 100% agree. Just I think it's worth pausing for thought, when deliberately planning to break a host country's laws while planning a tourist trip to that country.

Oh apparently starting today you can register online via a wechat miniapp in some cities. lol

Ghostnuke
Sep 21, 2005

Throw this in a pot, add some broth, a potato? Baby you got a stew going!

I read the first page of the thread and the wikitravel page, but figured I'd post too:

There's a chance I might be going to Nanjing for 3 weeks or so. My wife was offered a spot teaching something or other at the university there, I'm hoping I can tag along and just wander the land. I speak exactly zero languages other than english and have never left the country before. Am I in for a bad time?

Optimally, I'd like to just wander around and eat anything that crosses my path.

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

Nanjings cool but you might need at least a phone with a translation app to point at menus and stuff. I didnt run into much English when I visited there a few times.

Edit: you could ask the international office at the university your wife will be at if they can hook you up with an English major student who could show you around. The kid would probably be stoked to have the practice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Tom Smykowski posted:

Nanjings cool but you might need at least a phone with a translation app to point at menus and stuff. I didnt run into much English when I visited there a few times.

Edit: you could ask the international office at the university your wife will be at if they can hook you up with an English major student who could show you around. The kid would probably be stoked to have the practice.

this is really good advice, but even then, if you're going to restaurants near the university, you're either going to cross 1) tons of places that have English menus if they are used to having foreigners around or 2) a group of students staring at you so curiously you can just go talk to them and some of them will be stoked to practice their English as Tom S said

you probably want to get a translation app. if it is only a few weeks you wouldn't be in for a bad time, you'd probably quite enjoy it. no idea if the university in Nanjing is city center or rural but both have their charms. if you end up going, enjoy! I was hoping to go back to the university I was at in rural Liaoning next May for two weeks or so but doesn't look like it's going to happen, sadly