Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
https://twitter.com/BernieSanders/status/1190065956304896000?s=19

Bernie stands with deadspin, going after the extremely online sports demographic
e: a cat

rscott fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Nov 1, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Angry_Ed posted:

Wait what was this? :stare:

Haha apparently it was a rando's now-deleted tweet that derived from Tom Cotton and his daily "birthday cake and ice cream" habit

https://twitter.com/robdelaney/status/1170781433188749313?lang=en

Pay me no mind

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

skylined! posted:

Arguably the only benefit of Manchin is that if we break 51 senate seats in 2020, his mere presence means mcconnel loses the majority; and if we somehow gain 51 total seats but not the white house, mcconnel can't loving usher through more insane judicial nominees.

Given the reality of the place and time we are in, that is worth a loving lot.

So your plan is to rely on an (opportunistic) amoral psychopath to stick to his morals/be loyal to the cause when the other team will be offering him everything and the sun to flip sides?

I do not think you have thought your plan out very deeply friend.

LegendaryFrog
Oct 8, 2006

The Mastered Mind

Prester Jane posted:

So your plan is to rely on an (opportunistic) amoral psychopath to stick to his morals/be loyal to the cause when the other team will be offering him everything and the sun to flip sides?

The odds of Joe Manchin actually flipping parties seems low unless it is as a pre-retirement gesture. He's a conservative democrat, but there is no way in hell he would survive a Republican Primary in WV.

Uglycat
Dec 4, 2000
MORE INDISPUTABLE PROOF I AM BAD AT POSTING
---------------->
The score, as I see it:

There's an international fascist plot, and a great many entangling alliances among powerful white people across the globe.

This white nationalist fascist (need we call them Nazis?) plot includes RT, Fox, OAN, NRA, GOP, GRU, FSB, IRA, Brietbart, Fulang Gong, Project Veritas, Cambridge Analytica, QAnon, and candidates and parties across the globe.

Trump is the favored candidate of the international fascist plot in the USA, and enjoyed the support of this machine. He also seems to make a lot of irrational decisions, most of which are easily attributable to brainworms, but a real pattern clearly emerges implying the influence the international fascist plot has over his policy decisions.

Trump enjoys incredible (literally) party loyalty from the GOP. Sycophants all, he will never be acknowledged as having done wrong in their eyes. The House is now going to lay bare some very convincing charges against Trump, impuning his competency and shedding serious doubt on his loyalties. He will be shown to have violated his oath of office, and people will nit-pick over what a 'misdemeanor' means (to ancient dead white men that wrote).

Three US Senators may, in unison, be defying Trump. They will be attempting to use the opportunity to orchestrate a coup in the republican party. They'll have /a plan/. Like, entertain this hypothetical: 20 Republican US Senators approach Trump and say 'we're sick of your poo poo, and we're ready to throw you under the bus. Here's our terms, take 'em or leave em:
1) appoint these (specific, competent) persons to these (specific) positions, cleaning house on the entire cabinet.
2) follow the advice of these new cabinet members, or immediately face a character assassination from the Right coupled with a 25th Amendment use.
3) Stay off twitter
or we'll vote to convict you. Don't test us."

And then they'd have a plan for succession, as Trump steps down and Pence ascends. A plan for dealing with this in the media. A plan for cleaning up the mess. Some effort to make some gains in 2020, and a plan for 2024 that seems plausible and better than the present course.

And then they just have to convince 20 senators that they have a plan that will work out better than the present one. Which isn't hard. They're all terrified, nobody's at the reigns on things anymore.

My fear is that the Epstein stuff ties in like this: Epstein is a master at luring people into extremely compromising sexual situations, and using that information to blackmail and control them. He would lease his skillset to billionaires and intelligence agencies, an 'own a human for a mere 200k!' thing. Tell him who you want dirt on, receive tape of that person loving a kid and advice on how to make that person lick your boot forever.

Epstein got murdered. He had his master tapes of everyone he blackmailed, and people that hired him have individual tapes of targets. So different powerful agents have catalogues of kompromat on various characters, players all in the international scene we're now observing. And Epstein's master-tapes are in somebody's collection. If the FBI has them (and they aren't coming to light on account of the trial ending with his murder), then the DOJ gets to decide what leaks from that. It's likely at least one other intelligence agency got hold of the master tapes. There may be alignment between the present US DOJ and that other undefined intelligence agency.

And that might be why you see some Dem senators defect and the GOP 'wall' to hold strong, sparing Trump a conviction in the Senate. Hypothetically.

But if it plays that way - nobody has a plan. At least, not a plan that serves GOP senators and congresspersons. If a GOP senate coup drafts a plan that appears viable to the party, we may yet see Trump removed from office.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

do you stupid fucker. I wants some Goofus version of FDR fireside chats.

thats not gonna stop NY from loving you donny.

oxsnard
Oct 8, 2003
Assuming Trump isn't convicted, 2021 is going to be a bananas year. President Warren's administration won't be shy with the leaks

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
2024 is going to be wilder when God Emperor of Mankind - Alexandria Ocasio Cortez annexes Earth under her rule.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

oxsnard posted:

Assuming Trump isn't convicted, 2021 is going to be a bananas year. President Warren's administration won't be shy with the leaks

i feel like if he isnt kicked out(probably wont) he will lose 2020 and than the various state and federal cases will start coming out of the ground to get him.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

LegendaryFrog posted:

The odds of Joe Manchin actually flipping parties seems low unless it is as a pre-retirement gesture. He's a conservative democrat, but there is no way in hell he would survive a Republican Primary in WV.

:ughh:

Yeah uh uh and then they just offer him a couple million dollars a year do-nothing yes man at some conservative think tank.

A man who can be bought will always betray you once the incentive/reward rises high enough. Under those kinds of stakes the Republican machine would be more than happy to offer Joe Manchin whatever the gently caress it takes; and I bet his price is a hell of a lot lower than you or I would guess at.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Prester Jane posted:

No, you loving idiot, it simply means that an untrustworthy amoral psychopath who happens to carry a (D) rather than an (R) next to his name despite literally everything else in his history grants us a Senate majority simply by being there, thus eliminating the scourge of creatures like McConnell.

You're so blinded by hateful zealotry that you've lost the ability to read and comprehend.

*Edit*

I'm going to catch a probe for this, but you're so goddamn annoying in your hatred for Manchin when you're not even one of his constituents. You derail the thread for pages begging people to let his Republican counterpart win for the good of minorities and the marginalized as though a fascist would be better every loving time he's merely mentioned. Yet anyone who disagrees is a centrist and/or bootlicker because we're not promoting a non-existent alternative.

A Terrible Person fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Nov 1, 2019

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Uglycat posted:

The score, as I see it:

There's an international fascist plot, and a great many entangling alliances among powerful white people across the globe.

This white nationalist fascist (need we call them Nazis?) plot includes RT, Fox, OAN, NRA, GOP, GRU, FSB, IRA, Brietbart, Fulang Gong, Project Veritas, Cambridge Analytica, QAnon, and candidates and parties across the globe.

Trump is the favored candidate of the international fascist plot in the USA, and enjoyed the support of this machine. He also seems to make a lot of irrational decisions, most of which are easily attributable to brainworms, but a real pattern clearly emerges implying the influence the international fascist plot has over his policy decisions.

Trump enjoys incredible (literally) party loyalty from the GOP. Sycophants all, he will never be acknowledged as having done wrong in their eyes. The House is now going to lay bare some very convincing charges against Trump, impuning his competency and shedding serious doubt on his loyalties. He will be shown to have violated his oath of office, and people will nit-pick over what a 'misdemeanor' means (to ancient dead white men that wrote).

Three US Senators may, in unison, be defying Trump. They will be attempting to use the opportunity to orchestrate a coup in the republican party. They'll have /a plan/. Like, entertain this hypothetical: 20 Republican US Senators approach Trump and say 'we're sick of your poo poo, and we're ready to throw you under the bus. Here's our terms, take 'em or leave em:
1) appoint these (specific, competent) persons to these (specific) positions, cleaning house on the entire cabinet.
2) follow the advice of these new cabinet members, or immediately face a character assassination from the Right coupled with a 25th Amendment use.
3) Stay off twitter
or we'll vote to convict you. Don't test us."

And then they'd have a plan for succession, as Trump steps down and Pence ascends. A plan for dealing with this in the media. A plan for cleaning up the mess. Some effort to make some gains in 2020, and a plan for 2024 that seems plausible and better than the present course.

And then they just have to convince 20 senators that they have a plan that will work out better than the present one. Which isn't hard. They're all terrified, nobody's at the reigns on things anymore.

My fear is that the Epstein stuff ties in like this: Epstein is a master at luring people into extremely compromising sexual situations, and using that information to blackmail and control them. He would lease his skillset to billionaires and intelligence agencies, an 'own a human for a mere 200k!' thing. Tell him who you want dirt on, receive tape of that person loving a kid and advice on how to make that person lick your boot forever.

Epstein got murdered. He had his master tapes of everyone he blackmailed, and people that hired him have individual tapes of targets. So different powerful agents have catalogues of kompromat on various characters, players all in the international scene we're now observing. And Epstein's master-tapes are in somebody's collection. If the FBI has them (and they aren't coming to light on account of the trial ending with his murder), then the DOJ gets to decide what leaks from that. It's likely at least one other intelligence agency got hold of the master tapes. There may be alignment between the present US DOJ and that other undefined intelligence agency.

And that might be why you see some Dem senators defect and the GOP 'wall' to hold strong, sparing Trump a conviction in the Senate. Hypothetically.

But if it plays that way - nobody has a plan. At least, not a plan that serves GOP senators and congresspersons. If a GOP senate coup drafts a plan that appears viable to the party, we may yet see Trump removed from office.
what's the opposite of "where we go one, we go all"?

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

A Terrible Person posted:

No, you loving idiot, it simply means that an untrustworthy amoral psychopath who happens to carry a (D) rather than an (R) next to his name despite literally everything else in his history grants us a Senate majority simply by being there, thus eliminating the scourge of creatures like McConnell.

You're so blinded by hateful zealotry that you've lost the ability to read and comprehend.

Or he takes the opportunity to name his price and switch sides.

Y'all wouldn't make it long on the streets.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Amazing Zimmo
Jan 27, 2006

That's quite a load you got in them diapers
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1190081065085485057

should be some good tweetstorms next week

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Dapper_Swindler posted:

i feel like if he isnt kicked out(probably wont) he will lose 2020 and than the various state and federal cases will start coming out of the ground to get him.

I cannot wait until this happens - the day that they freeze whatever assets he actually has (if any - I think he's broke or deeply in debt & that he has been kiting for the past 35-years).

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If Manchin didn't flip after 2016, he's not going to flip in 2020 when he has far less to gain and far more to lose.

A Terrible Person
Jan 8, 2012

The Dance of Friendship

Fun Shoe

Prester Jane posted:

Y'all wouldn't make it long on the streets.

Oh, go gently caress yourself you high and mighty piece of poo poo. You don't know a goddamn thing about me.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Data Graham posted:

Haha apparently it was a rando's now-deleted tweet that derived from Tom Cotton and his daily "birthday cake and ice cream" habit

Pay me no mind

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Uglycat posted:

The score, as I see it:

I lot you, Uglycat, but I don't think the Irish Republican Army has anything to do with this.

Prester Jane
Nov 4, 2008

by Hand Knit

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I lot you, Uglycat, but I don't think the Irish Republican Army has anything to do with this.

The Internet Research Agency is the branch of Russian intelligence that handles their online psyops.

(And they uh.. they ripped off chanology wholesale.)

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

Florida Man fired shortly after reading a phone call on live TV.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

hey prester how's that book coming along? the one you've said you're writing?

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Wait did the president just move out of the White House formally because loving lol everything is so stupid.

thin blue whine
Feb 21, 2004
PLEASE SEE POLICY

Soiled Meat

this needs to be live or it won't be near as incredible. someone convince him to do it live asap

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

cr0y posted:

Wait did the president just move out of the White House formally because loving lol everything is so stupid.

no, he moved his primary residence from Trump Tower in NYC to Mar A Lago

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
OUR 47TH PRESIDENT AFTER THE ONE WHO SHOWERS WITH HIS DAUGHTER DIES
Grimey Drawer

Exile in Florida? Did Rudy actually really convince it that it will be free and clear in Florida?

Tune in tomorrow for the next installment....

OldMold
Jul 29, 2003
old cold gold mold
I believe Florida has some of the strongest protections against criminal and civil asset forfeiture. A staggering percentage of spam sent in the early 2000's was spewing out of Florida because spammers knew that if they got caught they would still keep their houses, boats, and cars. Maybe trump knows that a shitstorm is coming soon and wants to cover his rear end & assets.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

does he really think that would save him from being indited/etc.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

I CAN'T SAY PRESIDENT DONALD JOHN TRUMP'S NAME BECAUSE HE'S LIKE THAT GUY FROM HARRY POTTER AND I'M AFRAID I'LL SUMMON HIM. DONALD JOHN TRUMP. YOUR FAVORITE PRESIDENT.
Grimey Drawer
All things are all at once possible and not tax:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Article III of Impeachment against Richard Nixon:

quote:

In his conduct of the office of President of the United States, Richard M. Nixon, contrary to his oath faithfully to execute the office of President of the United States and, to the best of his ability, preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution of the United States, and in violation of his constitutional duty to take care that the laws be faithfully executed, has failed without lawful cause or excuse to produce papers and things as directed by duly authorized subpoenas issued by the Committee on the Judiciary of the House of Representatives on April 11, 1974, May 15, 1974, May 30, 1974, and June 24, 1974, and willfully disobeyed such subpoenas. The subpoenaed papers and things were deemed necessary by the Committee in order to resolve by direct evidence fundamental, factual questions relating to Presidential direction, knowledge or approval of actions demonstrated by other evidence to be substantial grounds for impeachment of the President. In refusing to produce these papers and things Richard M. Nixon, substituting his judgment as to what materials were necessary for the inquiry, interposed the powers of the Presidency against the lawful subpoenas of the House of Representatives, thereby assuming to himself functions and judgments necessary to the exercise of the sole power of impeachment vested by the Constitution in the House of Representatives.

Data Graham posted:

Pay me no mind

Nah, you were right the first time. @FuctUpMike's tweet read:

quote:

Bernie Sanders should be forced to give away 90% of his birthday cake #HappyBirthdayBernie

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I doubt even Trump thinks that. It's probably just spite.

Obama 2012
Mar 28, 2002

"I never knew what hope was until it ran out in a red gush over my lips, my hands!"

-Anne Rice, Interview with the President

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

‘Trump’s Razor’ states that the best explanation for his behavior is the stupidest possible one.

I assume that he’s moving just because he got booed.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Obama 2012 posted:

‘Trump’s Razor’ states that the best explanation for his behavior is the stupidest possible one.

I assume that he’s moving just because he got booed.

i agree with you. equally likely, someone gave him bad advice and/or it's some stupid scheme

Slowpoke!
Feb 12, 2008

ANIME IS FOR ADULTS
Dumb ploy to keep Florida red

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Slowpoke! posted:

Dumb ploy to keep Florida red

If only he was that bright and capable of conniving.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

First, fascism is almost always an international endeavor. You'll have fascists from multiple countries mix and often mix happily among one another even though they literally consider other fascists from other countries to be ethnically inferior.

I disagree that the republican senators will deliver an ultimatum to Trump though. He considers them to be inferior to him. His subordinates. He's right, but not in the way he thinks. The republican party was so weak that an outsider demagogue, a lifelong democrat and personal friend of Hillary Clinton waltzed in, said the white words and hijacked the party with little more than his big mouth, a lifetime of grifting and a reality TV show where he pretended he was an excellent businessman.

He desires power and won't take any subordination from the republican party. No way is Trump having some come to Jesus moment without backstabbing them the moment they leave. If they browbeat him, he'll muster his anger, fly into a rage and rip up any deal he has signed.

No one talented will go near him because they'll have to suffer under the endless abuse of an imbecilic narcissist. People in the white house are no doubt suffering an endless stream of verbal abuse, if not physical abuse from the commander in chief because that's what narcissists do. Trump can't be controlled. If cowed, he'll revert to his nature of being a moron and verbal abuse within days. Anyone installed will not be able to manage him. He is unteachable, uncoachable, ungovernable and in the end he only truly listens to his own counsel or what people convince him is his own idea.

If republicans try to hand him some sort of ultimatum it would be as if his employees were telling him what to do, which would be unthinkable. If Trump launches tirades against "traitor republicans" then their careers are basically sunk. With a tweet he can ruin careers within the republican party until they either split off or come back to lick his boots and grovel.

Only through solidarity can republicans get rid of him, but it will absolutely fracture the party. It could very well cease to exist or cease to be a national party, able only to win on the state level. And with them unable to reform as they've poisoned their brand by embracing Trump and Trump supporters, breaking with Trump means that most voters will turn away from the republican party and embrace Trump. His opinion polls for republican voters are through the roof. Someone like Mitch McConnel, head of the senate majority, has a 33% approval rating in his state. McConnel is far, far more vulnerable than Trump is.

The republicans are lashed to Trump do or die. They can bluster and scream and plead, but this only fuels that narcissist. Trump has leverage, he has the support of the party and the senators largely don't. Pence will not be the next president unless Trump literally dies. Either Trump stays in office or he is impeached and Pence goes with him. Pence will run a stale, boring, Christian dominionist play for power, but he is a vacuum of charisma. He calls his wife mother for gently caress's sake. Like Biden, people only like him when they don't pay attention to him, because Pence was kicked out of Indiana where they elected another republican. He didn't have the ability to keep his rear end in the seat that he had.

Trump's approval rate is going to stay at about 38 to 40% approval until the economy shits the bed. Then and only then will his approval rating crash, because many of the voters that support him, some 15% or so, are purely pocketbook voters.

He may be removed before this, but most likely not unless he crashes the economy. What this means though is that there is a high number of people who will vote against Trump in 2020 not on the strength of the democratic candidate, but on the strength of how much they hate Trump. And if we enter into a recession, even a small one, this sweeps the republicans out of power like they were swept out in 2008.

I think that the test is going to be the lame duck session when he's voted out and inevitably refuses to leave as well as the violence that follows as the cult leader of what used to be the republican party fails. You'll see shootings and bombings increase and that's going to be need to be dealt with.

pkay
Jan 4, 2005
"You and your ilk just made me vote downticket R in the midterms."
- a black man (- a magachud)

Dapper_Swindler posted:

I assume its a grift of some sort.

quote:

5. From 1969 through 1972, Nixon deducted the costs of his Florida house (500 Bay Lane). He claimed use of the house related to his job as president. The costs that were being deducted include depreciation, utilities, and insurance. The obvious question was whether the Florida house was used for personal or business purposes. [See line F in Exhibit 2.]

Probably something like that.

Otteration
Jan 4, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

Article III of Impeachment against Richard Nixon:

PRESIDENT NIXON'S RESIGNATION SPEECH
pbs.org/August 8, 1974

"In the past few days, however, it has become evident to me that I no longer have a strong enough political base in the Congress to justify continuing that effort. As long as there was such a base, I felt strongly that it was necessary to see the constitutional process through to its conclusion, that to do otherwise would be unfaithful to the spirit of that deliberately difficult process and a dangerously destabilizing precedent for the future.

But with the disappearance of that base, I now believe that the constitutional purpose has been served, and there is no longer a need for the process to be prolonged."

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Otteration posted:

pbs.org/August 8, 1974

"In the past few days, however, it has become evident to me that I no longer have a strong enough political base in the Congress to justify continuing that effort. As long as there was such a base, I felt strongly that it was necessary to see the constitutional process through to its conclusion, that to do otherwise would be unfaithful to the spirit of that deliberately difficult process and a dangerously destabilizing precedent for the future.

But with the disappearance of that base, I now believe that the constitutional purpose has been served, and there is no longer a need for the process to be prolonged."

If loving only Trump had the self-awareness to do something like this if he started losing R support.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Otteration posted:

pbs.org/August 8, 1974

yeah but trump is dumb and will never resign.