Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

I don't have a link because mobile but I think Cheetah7071 has posted something like that if you look through their post history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I remember there being a few posts about good places to start with atelier games, but who posted them, and they're apparently older than I thought. Anyone got a link to one of them handy?

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
It's worth noting that hard mode in the PC/Switch version of Cyber Sleuth is significantly less absurd than in the Vita and PS4 versions; enemy stats are multiplied by 1.5 rather than 2, so the difficulty spikes, while still present, aren't nearly as savage. I would definitely recommend hard mode if you want to engage with the mechanics, because normal is pretty faceroll.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

thank you!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Not quite.

Champion-tier plain-old Sukamon is what you want to start with, and the goal is PlatinumNumemon to get that sweet Mega-tier Digimon with 2x EXP.

Hwurmp posted:

PlatinumSukamon gets you that XP bonus earlier, and is just two digivolutions away from PlatinumNumemon. The in-between stage, Etemon, can learn Nightmare III at level 45, so you don't need to do any convoluted malarkey.

Also Etemon is a monkey mascot that sings love songs. The choice is clear.
do i actually need to use the Literal Pile Of poo poo digimon or can I just shove them in the bench and try not to think about them

Zereth fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Nov 2, 2019

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

You only get that XP bonus if they're on your front line. Embrace the poopy :shrek:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Zereth posted:

do i actually need to use the Literal Pile Of poo poo digimon or can I just shove them in the bench and try not to think about them

Wow, look at this guy, NOT wanting to use the poo poo Digimon. Hey gently caress you buddy

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

I could swear Valkyria Chronicles 4 used to have a scene about the rescue dog that was titled "A Good Good Boy," and now I can't find it. Was the name changed?

e: n/m it's at the start of the bath scene

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

her character arc is crowded out by her infatuation with yuri, which got really loving grating

especially because one of the original cast's strongest points was that it wasn't preoccupied with romance, comedic or otherwise

thats because the games main romance, rita and estelle, is both entirely accidental (until they realized it was there and added sidequests focusing on it in the ps3 port) and gets sidelined for half of the game because what this game really needed was an insanely boring segment where you hop from lame dungeon to lame dungeon so alexei loving dinoia can taunt you with the idea of having a healer who can resurrect again

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I like Vesperia because I wanna kiss Yuri.

But yeah, Abyss is by far better in every way.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Tired Moritz posted:

I like Vesperia because I wanna kiss Yuri.

But yeah, Abyss is by far better in every way.

I wouldn't say in EVERY way. Vesperia has more fun combat, for as much fun as TP-based Tales combat can be. Abyss has by far the better plot though.

I'm a weird contrarian in this thread because I still like Vesperia, warts and all, for reasons I can't quite articulate. It's by far my favorite of the "old-style" Tales games, especially with the PS3 version improvements. I think I just liked the gear system a lot because it reminded me of FF9, the objectively best mainline FF game. In fact, Vesperia was only beat as my favorite Tales game overall with the release of Berseria, the only Tales game (In English, anyways, people make a lot of noise about Rebirth but I'll never know due to moonspeak) to actually have both good gameplay AND a good story, imho.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Endorph posted:

patty is not only the only character in vesperia who's at all fun to play she also, despite being added in later, fits into the plot better and is treated with more respect by the plot than half the main cast

I agree that Patty is not the only fun character to play as. Unfortunately, the fun factor for the characters really comes at the end of Act 3 and NG+ where the game is like "okay gently caress it, have all these broken altered artes and skills if you're Raven. you play Judith? cool, air combo poo poo like you're playing Destiny Remake. Estelle/Rita? Start having entire arena-wide AOE spells. Karol? pelt them with baseball infinites. Yuri/Repede/Flynn? Just start having infinite combos with any arte."

Now as for Patty fitting into the plot better... nah, respectfully gotta disagree there. I'm pretty late in and Patty only chimes in at random-rear end moments with not-contributory dialogue, or just remains silent.

On an unrelated note, as an Atelier neophyte, Atelier Ryza is actually really fun

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

MechaX posted:

Now as for Patty fitting into the plot better... nah, respectfully gotta disagree there. I'm pretty late in and Patty only chimes in at random-rear end moments with not-contributory dialogue, or just remains silent.
no you misunderstood me. i was saying patty IS the only fun character to play.

and yeah, i agree. half the cast of vesperia also does that.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Endorph posted:

no you misunderstood me. i was saying patty IS the only fun character to play.

and yeah, i agree. half the cast of vesperia also does that.

Yeah, I missed the first "only" in that sentence. I dunno, I appreciate Judith (when she's actually fighting enemies that are able to be air combo'd), and Yuri is fun in the sense that you can just let the boss not play the game at all (which they definitely rectified in Xillia for the worst). I would have more fun playing as Repede but his hitbox for some of his moves though...

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Infinity Gaia posted:

I wouldn't say in EVERY way. Vesperia has more fun combat, for as much fun as TP-based Tales combat can be. Abyss has by far the better plot though.

I'm a weird contrarian in this thread because I still like Vesperia, warts and all, for reasons I can't quite articulate. It's by far my favorite of the "old-style" Tales games, especially with the PS3 version improvements. I think I just liked the gear system a lot because it reminded me of FF9, the objectively best mainline FF game. In fact, Vesperia was only beat as my favorite Tales game overall with the release of Berseria, the only Tales game (In English, anyways, people make a lot of noise about Rebirth but I'll never know due to moonspeak) to actually have both good gameplay AND a good story, imho.

i can understand why vesperia does stuff for other people that it, really didn't do for me, and i can get if the combat felt more fun to other people even if it felt like a massive chore to me cause there is some pretty fun stuff about it if you can stick it out, but uh. the one thing in these discussions that is always weird to me is the statement that the game has good writing because the writing is. seriously the one thing about the game that frustrated me so much it made me never want to finish it. i've played some badly written tales games but vesperia's writing choices really like. while not technically the worst, might be the most a jrpg has ever actively upset me lol. it has pretty good side stuff but the way the main stuff is padded out and the way it treats estelle sapped all of the energy i had for anything else that was good about it

like people dump on tales of graces f and rightfully so i guess for how laughably sloppy it can be but like. at the same time graces f actually gave its cast room to breathe and allowed sophie to have something resembling a character arc, without constantly wrenching things away to focus on asbel. and that uh. made it a lot easier for me to forgive how clumsily written it was because it was still giving characters i actually like literally anything to do lol. vesperia doesn't even do that. it gives, like, karol some stuff, and occasionally pretends to give other characters stuff, but. yuri's arc is all this extremely weird half-formed bullshit that goes nowhere but the game spends way too much time on, and it, is not fun to follow for that.

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 2, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
cloudflare.....

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Tales of Hearts R has more fun TP combat than Vesperia so Vesperia doesn't even win on that front.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

The way vesperia treats estelle, its best character, is downright awful from a writing perspective and also makes the entire middle section of the game awful from a gameplay perspective

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Another reason I like Vesperia so much may be because I did not care for the Estelle/Rita romance at all (or Estelle in general) and thought it was boring and wanted to get back to Yuri murders (which unfortunately also never really materialized into anything)

What can I say, I'm shallow as gently caress. I appreciate murders, do not care for cute romance. I think the enjoyment you can wring out of Vesperia depends entirely on how much the game manages to sell Yuri's coolness to you. Seeing as I originally played it as an edgy teenager, I was way into Yuri's style and thus he remains one of my favorite characters in the series. Not the absolute favorite (that prize goes to Luke for achieving a truly phenomenal amount of character development through his game) but definitely in the top ten. And I readily admit it is ENTIRELY based on style, as his character can be a bit flat and his narrative is confused and ends up going nowhere in particular.

In short, I'm the guy saying "Wow cool vigilante" while all the bad the parts of Vesperia fly above my head like in that one cyberpunk picture.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

see my issue with that is yuri does less murder than most tales protags

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

In my quest to play Old rear end RPGs that aren't the big name franchises, I'm playing Natsume's Chaos World (Japan only, 1991) for the NES right now.

I haven't beaten it yet, but it does a few interesting things. It's overall a little...meh, but that's because everything it does was done better later. A day/night cycle that changes much of nothing (shops are closed, pubs are open, but that's about it). What's almost a primitive form of FFXII's gambits, where you select a strategy (in this game, formations), and the computer plays out the battle for you, but you don't have the option of complete control). A bunch of potential party members, through a guild system, but they're all precreated, so you get what you get and being an NES game, there's not much personality there. Jobs through the guild system, that require either male or female characters, or certain classes, very similar to the system in FF Tactics where you just send them off and dick around for a while.

Music sounds really nice, but hoo boy, is it repetitive.

Overworld graphics are pretty good for the system. Nothing super special, but pleasing enough.

Battle graphics are somewhat simple (old school black background, faceless characters), but also not bad.

A nice touch though, is both sides have simple animations for doing stuff.

As for the translation, as you can see from the last screen, it's got some issues here and there. There are also a lot of abbreviations in menus and the like. It's a pretty early Aeon Genesis translation, so it doesn't quite have the polish of later releases (I believe a redo of it is in the works). But it's playable all the way through, which is good enough for me.

Anyway, overall, it's not the worst I've played. It has kept me interested enough to continue, which is all I really ask for from a game. But it probably won't get a replay anytime soon, as the only real replay value seems to be some (maybe only one? Not sure) of the characters you can recruit change based on which class you pick for your starting character, and using different team formations.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
The "wow cool vigilante" meme owns because Vesperia itself - hell, Yuri himself - starts telling you that's wrong less than halfway through the game, in so many words.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Endorph posted:

It doesn't count as murder if it transitioned to a battle, that's just basic JRPG rules.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
You can see where they wanted to have Yuri start with moustache-twirling villains who literally walk through the street cackling about how much they love owning the poor, then getting gradually more sympathetic marks and ending with Estelle and/or Flynn. Then they chickened out and let him murder the first two guys, then flip seamlessly to "this is a tragedy, this system is rotten, how dare you judge other peoples' lives" the instant it got even slightly ambiguous without a single moment of retrospection.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah i was into the vigilante arc until it vanished without escalation or resolution in the 2nd half and i realized the game had no handle on its writing

my theory is that the entire second half of the game was rushed out the door since the cutscene direction, pacing, difficulty curve, etc also become a mess at that point. also weird stuff like that rhythm game that it makes you play exactly once and then acts like you're gonna have to do it more times but you never do. and the final dungeon having a couple elaborate setpieces that feel out of place like the big roulette wheel

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Vesperia definitely feels like the kind of episodic, freewheeling adventure type story where stuff keeps on happening so it's fun while you're on the ride, but it doesn't hold up if you look at it as a whole because it has no structure or point.

Or if you're like Colonel and one particular bit of it shakes you out so much that that moment of perspective comes early (I think it's called story collapse).

e: also my personal RPG bugbear is stuff revolving around the main character for no reason so Vesperia being all about how Yuri was just the coolest most adult most competent guy who everyone respected but like in a cool way did absolutely nothing for me except annoy me whenever Estelle, Rita, or Karol was being clearly sidelined so Yuri could be more wise or badass, which was 100% of the time

Caphi fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 2, 2019

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Infinity Gaia posted:

It doesn't count as murder if it transitioned to a battle, that's just basic JRPG rules.

tales of the abyss literally has a skit where jade talks to luke about how he's amazed he's managing to live with the guilt he experiences after killing dozens of actual living soldiers with his own hands without becoming totally detached like he is

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The Colonel posted:

tales of the abyss literally has a skit where jade talks to luke about how he's amazed he's managing to live with the guilt he experiences after killing dozens of actual living soldiers with his own hands without becoming totally detached like he is

Luke, as a player character, is obviously aware of the rule that it's not murder if it happens in a random battle as well. Otherwise most RPG protagonists would kill entire nations of random bandits and raiders.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Endorph posted:

I haven't played many Tales games, but I imagine it's hard to beat Luke in the murder department. He kinda set the bar pretty high.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Luke, as a player character, is obviously aware of the rule that it's not murder if it happens in a random battle as well. Otherwise most RPG protagonists would kill entire nations of random bandits and raiders.

no i mean that the explicit text is that luke has horrible nightmares about the fact that he's murdering people. the text of the skit is that luke is killing people and having trouble coping with it but not letting himself get detached from it.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Luke, as a player character, is obviously aware of the rule that it's not murder if it happens in a random battle as well.

Ah, the Liam Neeson.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Sorey kills loads of people (including children) but he feels bad about it but not too bad or he'll turn into a dragon.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

MechaX posted:

On an unrelated note, as an Atelier neophyte, Atelier Ryza is actually really fun

it's good. it's also weirdly kind of slow paced and I wish ryza would haul rear end a little faster

battles leave something to be desired in that department too, esp if you don't get an overworld attack in to start things out briskly

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the Ys games have always had killer soundtracks but Ys 8 is just ridiculous

this is the theme for the first area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBla5NUlvk

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

That kinda drove me crazy in the original Eternal Sonata release where characters would just be loving gone after battles. No body, no acknowledgement, loving nothing.

Caphi posted:

Sorey kills loads of people (including children) but he feels bad about it but not too bad or he'll turn into a dragon.

Rose is a professional murderer but she doesn't feel bad about it so she won't become a dragon, so let her do the killing for Sorey

MechaX fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Nov 2, 2019

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Rorona has killed

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
You get to murder 10,000 of your own people (or refuse to and be scapegoated for the act anyways) in Tactics Ogre.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Oxxidation posted:

the Ys games have always had killer soundtracks but Ys 8 is just ridiculous

this is the theme for the first area

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvBla5NUlvk

Yeah I'm not sure how they're gonna top it for 9's soundtrack but I can't wait see the attempt

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
Late on Trails/Cold Steel chat but what is up with that series' obsession of letting you beat enemies only for them to go "Haha I was holding back/only used 10% of my real power!". It happens waaaaay too often. Hell CS3 just did it with playing a card game with someone for info.
Like I get it's basically the oldest shonen trope in the book but its overuse makes me think someone just really gets their kicks off of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
they're telling long-form stories, they want to have boss fights but they don't want you to beat the big villains immediately in the middle of things, so they resort to that a lot