Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

apples socs and cores are way way larger than arms though, just saying that i don't think there's that much on the table at the scale arm does cores at (i assume arm at least has bigger stuff on the roadmap, but i expect that apple will keep being the most audacious designers for the foreseeable future).

possibly samsung should have attempted something similarly ambitious, but they were mostly playing in the same ballpark as arm, and thus achieved nothing terribly interesting.

don't sell them short, they managed to get noticeably worse results than qualcomm

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12620/improving-the-exynos-9810-galaxy-s9-part-2

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

not at this distance, your honor

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Bobby Digital posted:

this is a pretty tricky joke, considering it looks nothing like the apple device, but then that device is also a ripoff of the microsoft original

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bobby Digital posted:

all that bezel and they still couldn't avoid putting a punch for the camera

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

this is a pretty tricky joke, considering it looks nothing like the apple device, but then that device is also a ripoff of the microsoft original
i cdan't tell if you're joking but it looks identical to the current ipad pro except for the hole camera hole

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

:holymoley:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Endless Mike posted:

all that bezel and they still couldn't avoid putting a punch for the camera

i cdan't tell if you're joking but it looks identical to the current ipad pro except for the hole camera hole

it's a roundrect, just like every phone and tablet has been for a decade

coke
Jul 12, 2009
So I just forced 90hz on my P4XL to see if I could notice anything different. Bejeweled Blitz is my toilet game of choice so I tried a game of it and holy poo poo are the animations sooooo smooth now. It almost looks weird how perfectly the jewels move across the screen compared to what it was on my P2XL and even before I forced 90hz. I won't be turning this off any time soon.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
bejeweled blitz is also my toilet game of choice

KDE Perry
Dec 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer
google pixel and pixel xl (released 2016) stopped getting security patches today. sure is a bummer no companies can support their phones for a full five years

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
your username rules but how do you only have 8 posts in 7 years

KDE Perry
Dec 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer
made account, forgot to :justpost:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

KDE Perry posted:

made account, forgot to :justpost:

:justpost:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i'm deeply concerned about the framerate my telephone web browser runs at

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

People with OP7s, Pixel 4s, or other high refresh phones, what is everyone using as their browser? After getting annoyed with Chrome's lack of adblock and feeling like it's only running at 60hz due to ads, I decided to experiment. I was unsatisfied with Firefox Preview and Samsung Beta, tried out using Edge since I have it installed for Microsoft reward farming. Only 60hz. But then I realized I had the Bing app for it's daily offers and lo and behold it is a 90hz browser with adblock. So I guess that's my new default?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

on a touchscreen refresh rate does matter but lol at anroid switching between refresh rates so weird/inconsistently

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Scott Forstall posted:

meanwhile Apple watches are $200 and all my millennial friends and I are buying them for our boomer parents for the fall detection alone, if they haven’t bought them already themselves.

‘grats on selling death notification devices to America’s shittiest generation, timb

:actually: I think you'll find they're called "Now I can pay off my student loans! Notification devices"?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Last Chance posted:

on a touchscreen refresh rate does matter but lol at anroid switching between refresh rates so weird/inconsistently

i'm imagining androids blacking out and turning back on taking 2s like an old crt each time they change refresh rates

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
google: this time we're going to fix the play store malware issues once and for all.

with, uh, store side malware scans

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

nice

we'll fix the problem with malware with more anti virus that'll do the trick

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

ill be the idiot and ask

okay so im not a computer toucher but its my understanding that a) antivirus doesnt work and b) google was already running server side antivirus on their store. but because of a) they still have malware regularly being distributed through the store so they have to do something

how does this help? it brings the appearance of fixing the problem but because theyre going about it with automation that isnt going to work its still not going to work and then theyll still have the problem they have now plus look even more incompetent about handling it. this plan doesnt even work as window dressing right? am i missing something?

its not like anyone buying androids cares about how much malware is in the store anyway so wouldnt it be best to do what microsoft does with the windows store and just pretend everything is fine? why show yourself trying harder and failing over and over?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
google is dumb and thinks this will work, in the face of all the previous evidence to the contrary, also, their bar for "works" is almost subterranean

quote:

"When you’re at the massive scale that we have in these platforms, when you can get even 1 percent incremental improvement it matters," he says.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

infernal machines posted:

google is dumb and thinks this will work, in the face of all the previous evidence to the contrary, also, their bar for "works" is almost subterranean

lol i read the article and somehow missed that quote

also lol that the article is basically "yeah we scanned apps before but now we're really going to instead of just pretending to do so"

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google is in the “good enough” business. phone makers don’t care about malware in the app store, that’s a customer problem. sometimes they even helpfully preload it. and it’s not like they have any other options of OSs to ship with. as long as android is good enough, they’re going to keep shipping it.

google is the new Microsoft and android is windows.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i may be mistaken, but i seem to remember a lot of stories about malware apps mentioning that they don't include the malware in the package on the play store, it's a payload downloaded after installation on the device, specifically to avoid being flagged in the store itself.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

i may be mistaken, but i seem to remember a lot of stories about malware apps mentioning that they don't include the malware in the package on the play store, it's a payload downloaded after installation on the device, specifically to avoid being flagged in the store itself.

It wouldn't stop the "targetted to very few individuals" payloads but there's nothing inherently hard to detect about something downloaded after the fact, even time-gated.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

the idea being that it makes signature based malware detection scans on the store even more useless

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

the idea being that it makes signature based malware detection scans on the store even more useless

Pretty confident they'd be going a little farther into sandboxed behavior analysis.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Google, I'm an Electrical/Software Engineer and have worked as a subcontractor on google data centers and still have friends in DC ops near my home town. I try to promote Google stuff whenever/wherever I can, I've had a Pixel 1, 2, 3 and can't wait for the next one. As I'm sitting here tonight looking through forums and realizing there is no fix for this simple issue I'm furious. There are so many ways to fix this issue it isn't even funny. The fact that Google hasn't even come up with an ugly/temporary fix for this is beyond unbelievable. Do you know how many human hours you have wasted and how much frustration you have caused worldwide because of your failure to monitor these forums and see what your customers are saying. You better fix this poo poo and I mean fix it quick. This is almost enough for me to turn anti-google. As a software engineer, if I was in the right position @ google I could fix this in less than an hour. In fact,, here's a stop gap fix. Add a "common mis-spelling" field to our personal dictionary and we can do the work for you. You can even gather metrics from this massive help you'll be getting to improve your predictive text features. DO IT NOW, PLEASE.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

James Baud posted:

Pretty confident they'd be going a little farther into sandboxed behavior analysis.

you say that, but then you look at how many major android malware outbreaks have worked to date, and welp.

either they don't or it's equally trivial to circumvent

KDE Perry
Dec 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

it's cool though, a Platinum Product Expert wheeled into the thread and provided a total non-fix for everyone

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

KDE Perry posted:

it's cool though, a Platinum Product Expert wheeled into the thread and provided a total non-fix for everyone

haha I only now noticed that the most recent post in that thread thing was 6 hours ago

:allears:

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

no offense to all the dyllons but what

quote:

What's really pathetic is that Apple can handle this stuff with Siri, but Google eats crap when it comes to names. My brother-in-law's name is Dyllon, He's the only one with a name pronounced that way on my phone, yet it always defaults to Dylan. Since there is no one by that name on my phone, it has to ask for clarification, as if it couldn't have been smart enough to default to Dyllon in the first place. Effing annoying.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bulgakov posted:

Google, I'm an Electrical/Software Engineer and have worked as a subcontractor on google data centers and still have friends in DC ops near my home town. I try to promote Google stuff whenever/wherever I can, I've had a Pixel 1, 2, 3 and can't wait for the next one.

lmao at his credentials list.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

yah its pretty special

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan
for twelve years, you’ve been asking: Who is Zachary Carpenter? This is Zachary Carpenter. I'm an Electrical/Software Engineer and have worked as a subcontractor on google data centers and still have friends in DC ops near my home town. I try to promote Google stuff whenever/wherever I can, I've had a Pixel 1, 2, 3 and can't wait for the next one.

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

haha

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
how does android lock down apps? sandbox? verboten API list? selinux? virtualization? nothing?

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

how does android lock down apps? sandbox? verboten API list? selinux? virtualization? nothing?

in ways bad and stupid. *but* i feel i must remind you that apple having exposed linkable api's which are nonetheless forbidden, and has people handling the enforcement of that ban, is hugely comical ityool 2019.

apple still way better at keeping things safe and under control, but that bit is not one to add to some best practices lists.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

these days it’s selinux. but it’s not locked down very well because android is a loving mess.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Vomik posted:

for twelve years, you’ve been asking: Who is Zachary Carpenter? This is Zachary Carpenter. I'm an Electrical/Software Engineer and have worked as a subcontractor on google data centers and still have friends in DC ops near my home town. I try to promote Google stuff whenever/wherever I can, I've had a Pixel 1, 2, 3 and can't wait for the next one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Anroid Megathread: This is almost enough for me to turn anti-google.