Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
The only true "bad guy" skill is probably Half Light, and even then it's something we all carry with us. Giving it more ranks just means you're more susceptible to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Kim's a man who can nod at professional levels

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

cool new Metroid game
Oct 7, 2009

hail satan

holy poo poo

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

it loving kills you

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Mayman10 posted:

it loving kills you

worth it

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Palpek posted:

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

Hobocop me, to the max!

SardonicTyrant
Feb 26, 2016

BTICH IM A NEWT
熱くなれ夢みた明日を
必ずいつかつかまえる
走り出せ振り向くことなく
&

I've just realized and appreciate that the whole dead body scenario is a justification to walk around and explore. Most likely you're going to fail a few tests to approach the body, and then Kim chimes in to take a few minutes and wait until the wind shifts.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Palpek posted:

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

:getin:

Alpheratz
May 11, 2012

Songbearer posted:

The only true "bad guy" skill is probably Half Light, and even then it's something we all carry with us. Giving it more ranks just means you're more susceptible to it

Many of the skills have their reprehensible moments, but boy i did not expect Empathy to behave as a complete piece of poo poo during the LOVE quest

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
encyclopedia never steers you wrong, only puts you in contact with more things you mike find interesting.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Esprit de Corps is probably the most harmless skill, at the cost of never being that useful for anything but setting the tone.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
RPG Codex's review. It's positive, if a little pretentious.

The comment section, like the main forum thread, is a full-on battle with dumb-rear end grogs who say DE isn't an RPG because it doesn't have combat.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Megazver posted:

The comment section, like the main forum thread, is a full-on battle with dumb-rear end grogs who say DE isn't an RPG because it doesn't have combat.

RPG Codex is also full of racists, homophobes and pedantic Ur-neckbeards who base their definition of RPGs on thirty year old games while being utterly incapable of admitting anything was wrong with those games. I remember having a discussion on there about the fact that the original Wasteland flat out had useless skills (including one that evidently wasn't ever even implemented beyond being something you can put points into) and only got the typical "hardcore" defensive response that any mistakes that gently caress the player over exist for the sake of realism or achieving some kind of anamolous play balance.

In short they're the last people who would know what good game design looks like.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

RPG Codex is also full of racists, homophobes and pedantic Ur-neckbeards who base their definition of RPGs on thirty year old games while being utterly incapable of admitting anything was wrong with those games. I remember having a discussion on there about the fact that the original Wasteland flat out had useless skills (including one that evidently wasn't ever even implemented beyond being something you can put points into) and only got the typical "hardcore" defensive response that any mistakes that gently caress the player over exist for the sake of realism or achieving some kind of anamolous play balance.

In short they're the last people who would know what good game design looks like.

The what I think is a majority of them was still able to appreciate the game, though. (One of the devs trying to politely and positively engage the less lovely members of the community in the game's thread from fairly early on in the development helped, probably.)

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Hey I think I've gotten stuck near the end of the game, just past the shivers check.

From what I can tell I can either climb and/or teleport with Savoir-Faire (+2 seeing the dude in the church) or bash through the basement with Physical Instrument (+1 One More Door, +1 bookstore door). I'm a ways off a levelup, and the only quests I have are related to the ravers and the church. I flunked the perception test to tell what was going on (+ for raver's speakers, egg heads' melody and jam). There's a couple other checks I have but they're all locked. Any tips on where to go from here?

E: I also did get in before but Ruby shot herself without saying anything and I resigned on the spot :smith:

StashAugustine fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Nov 7, 2019

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Zero Punctuation reviewed Call of Duty: Modern Warfare this week and definitely not any other games.

Yahtzee was, like, the nicest about DE that he's been about any game in years.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Megazver posted:

poo poo on their foolish notions, I've socked a kid and KO'd a giant muscled racist so far and it was some tremendously satisfying combat I tell you

I can meaninglessly kill enemies in any of a thousand games that came out in the last few years alone, this is beautifully different and a real treat to play.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Megazver posted:

Zero Punctuation reviewed Call of Duty: Modern Warfare this week and definitely not any other games.

Yahtzee was, like, the nicest about DE that he's been about any game in years.

Oh god, he can't pronounce Elysium.

Party Ape
Mar 5, 2007
Don't pay $10 bucks to change my avatar! Send me a $10 donation to Doctors with Borders and I'll stop posting for 24 hours!

Palpek posted:

Hell yes Hobocops.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Broken Cog posted:

Esprit de Corps is probably the most harmless skill, at the cost of never being that useful for anything but setting the tone.

Espirit De Corps is the "read noir purple prose" skill. Encyclopedia is the "Mass Effect Codex" skill. Inland Empire is the "David Lynch Screenplay" skill. For progression they are incidental, for tone they are worth EVERY POINT.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

if your inland empire is too low you won't get prompted to sing karaoke so for progression it is absolutely essential

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

I legitimately love that at least in my ending, Harry's district 41 buddies spent ten minutes going "Oh my god Harry you are such a deranged fuckup, let us count the ways," and in the middle of it all your partner goes "...although okay, fair's fair, that karaoke performance was loving fantastic, I'm glad you wasted time on that."

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Impermanent posted:

encyclopedia never steers you wrong, only puts you in contact with more things you mike find interesting.

Actually, it can, with one of the books. There's this quiz book where Encyclopedia was passing all of its checks but offering up useless information all the while insisting that it was the right answer.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

yeah, something went really off the rails there, culturally, like 5 years ago. it’s both bizarre and sad, as it used to be a good rpg site. now it’s radicalized political / incel. I did not see that coming.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Songbearer posted:

Volition calls Drama "Multi-Face" at one point (Late game dialogue):

So I actually got this one too. What happens if I succeed this check?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BigRed0427 posted:

So I actually got this one too. What happens if I succeed this check?

Drama goes all wounded Mi'Lady incel and starts baying for Klaasje's blood.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Night10194 posted:

Drama goes all wounded Mi'Lady incel and starts baying for Klaasje's blood.
So is that basically what Drama becomes if they are maxed out?

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

BigRed0427 posted:

So is that basically what Drama becomes if they are maxed out?

They are seeing through the best liar in the game, who they couldn’t detect before. You drat well bet they’re gonna ham it up.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

sean10mm posted:

even though I got the body into the bear fridge,
But how?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
Once you discover the fridge, Kim remarks on storing the body there when you get the corpse down and notice it deteriorating further, then you interact with the fridge again and there's a fade to black sequence of you and Kim moving the body there

Mayman10
May 11, 2019

Lady Galaga posted:

Once you discover the fridge, Kim remarks on storing the body there when you get the corpse down and notice it deteriorating further, then you interact with the fridge again and there's a fade to black sequence of you and Kim moving the body there

huh i just had the coroner whisk the body away

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
Finally got around to finishing up my (first) playthrough.

Was worried that the game wouldn't stick the landing, but it did.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Weirdly, I had the prompt to move the body somewhere to keep it from decaying, so we moved it to the fridge... and then had the option for Kim to just take it from there to his car, immediately. I didn't realize the check to find the bullet would be easier (why would it???) so I just let him.

I'll be interested to see if the whole Titus/Klaasje song and dance is any different when I actually know how the victim was killed :v:

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Mayman10 posted:

huh i just had the coroner whisk the body away

Yeah I staved that off as much as possible since I spoiled myself and wanted to get the boots, but unless you attempted to take it the first time with Kim around, I think the option to take the boots doesn't come back afterwards

Begemot posted:

Weirdly, I had the prompt to move the body somewhere to keep it from decaying, so we moved it to the fridge... and then had the option for Kim to just take it from there to his car, immediately. I didn't realize the check to find the bullet would be easier (why would it???) so I just let him.

I had the option to check his mouth while he was in the fridge but my low mobility Harry lacked the perception to see what was inside

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

I was sure we were missing something, (lack of signs of struggle, no sign the victim was clutching at the belt) and Kim was too, but also had very low perception, so I kept the body in the fridge until we got the truth out of the hardy boys and Klaasje. Then it was easy to find the bullet when we knew what we were looking for. Still failed to correctly guess the actual gun the bullet was fired from until we found it with the deserter, but at least we were sure that the bullet could have come from that gun.

This time I’ve already found the bullet on the first day , so I’m also curious to see what will be different.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

On the end the last lines of the game.

At the end of the game your Captain Pryce is talking about who is in or out? It almost sounds like he is planning on joining a revolt against the Coalition, saying he can trust everyone in the department except our advisor Trent. Not sure if it changes based off your politics, because he is like "Of Course Harry is in, he's always for the people"

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

I think you have to note the decomposition while the body is still hanging, because going through every option during the autopsy gives me nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

Jack2142 posted:

On the end the last lines of the game.

At the end of the game your Captain Pryce is talking about who is in or out? It almost sounds like he is planning on joining a revolt against the Coalition, saying he can trust everyone in the department except our advisor Trent. Not sure if it changes based off your politics, because he is like "Of Course Harry is in, he's always for the people"

I got such weird vibes off him, I really thought that Trent had some horrible secret like being a serial killer or something. Just this weirdly pleasant guy hanging around this destitute post-war ruin with his kid, chatting about bizarre art things.

Of course, he turned out to be a centrist.