Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Slavvy posted:

In theory, the absolutely proper way would be to power those things using a relay(s) switched on and off by the ignition.

In practice the draw from a GPS and heated gloves are pretty low and it's just a 125 so go hog wild and stick them on the battery directly. You may need longer battery terminal bolts but that's about it.

Your battery can't drain if both things are unplugged when you turn it off.

Thank you Slavvy.

Regarding longer terminal battery bolts, are these long enough?:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01D3JJS1Q/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AG3014UY92J9X

Steakandchips fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

I will say however that the CBF125 has a pretty weak alternator that can't even keep the headlight fully lit at idle, so you might want to check the specs to be sure it's actually capable of supplying enough power to run those things and charge the battery at the same time, otherwise yeah, you'll end up with a flat battery.

Thanks for this.

This is what the manual says:

So does the alternator in this case provide enough for a GPS and 12V heated gloves?

If no, should I get a battery like this?:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/248929

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
How much wiggle room is there in torque specs usually?

My owner's manual says 20Nm for the oil drain plug, but the service manual says 29Nm.

Steakandchips posted:

Thanks for this.

This is what the manual says:

So does the alternator in this case provide enough for a GPS and 12V heated gloves?

If no, should I get a battery like this?:

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/248929

Gloves tend to run something like 25W iirc (they'll definitely state the power draw in the manual), GPS I don't know but I imagine not more than like 15W?

Anyway, add those numbers to the given draw of things you'll have on continuously, and it doesn't look like you should be going above 100W. So it should be fine so long as you're keeping your revs up and not lugging it everywhere.

Let us know how you get on! Mods are good.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Nov 7, 2019

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

How much wiggle room is there in torque specs usually?

My owner's manual says 20Nm for the oil drain plug, but the service manual says 29Nm.

I could see that being a typo, like the person writing it fatfingered either the 9 or the 0, rather than a legitimate spread in torque values. 50% of the lower value is enormous.

Honestly I don't think I've ever torqued an oil pan bolt. It helps having Weak Little Noodly Arms, makes it tougher to strip them. I always just tighten it till it doesn't really want to move any more, then run the engine for a minute to make sure oil's not dripping out the bottom.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I use a torque wrench on it because it's important it's tight enough not to leak, but also a huge pain in the rear end if I strip it. You could split the baby and make it 24.5Nm (my bike is 25Nm).

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Too late I already did 29! :rice:

Since I've mostly been working out of the service manual this is probably what I set it to last time as well, so it might be fine. Would be nice if I could actually remember though.

e/ if it's a typo then either a) it's weirdly consistent because the service manual also says 3.0kgf-m and 21ft-lbs or b) they filled out the table with a formula based on the Nm values :iiam:

gently caress now I'm overthinking it. My last bike was 20Nm in the drain plug... ugh. I can't really loosen it and re-tighten it can I?

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 7, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Do you guys think that when shops change your oil they're torquing the sump plug and poo poo? Cause I've got some news.

Things worth torquing: cam and crank bearing screws, case bolts, head studs, nuts/bolts on the end of the crank/cam, USD fork pinch bolts, engine mounts, sometimes exhaust bolts.

Everything else you do by feel or it would take like three weeks to do one job.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
For everything that's probably going to be opened up again at next year's service, I just do it until it stops coming easy and then another half turn.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

What’s the thread opinion on fumoto valves? Considering one just because I like the idea of using a hose to drain, and not having to worry about torquing the plug after every change is a plus.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I'd be worried about it opening accidentally. That's about as (un)likely as having an issue torquing it or lining it up, but also more deadly if I'm doing speed and a rock hits that armature just right to give my rear wheel a bathing. Also in the UK you have the chav factor: some chav on the street will see the arm and open it because why not.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Nov 7, 2019

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Martytoof posted:

What’s the thread opinion on fumoto valves? Considering one just because I like the idea of using a hose to drain, and not having to worry about torquing the plug after every change is a plus.

They are awesome but don't work on every bike because sometimes they stick out dangerously low.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
How do you guys that don’t have access to hoses wash your bike? Can you just do a 2 bucket system of wash and rinse or something?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

What do you mean, "wash your bike?"

(I have fairings so I just use quick detailer and a rag every so often, and I've cleaned my wheels with wheel cleaner and a brush like 2 times in 3.5 years. Been meaning to take all the fairings off and really do a deep cleaning though)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Rolo posted:

How do you guys that don’t have access to hoses wash your bike? Can you just do a 2 bucket system of wash and rinse or something?

Does it not rain where you live?

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

Finger Prince posted:

Does it not rain where you live?

Do you also never wash your towels because "hey, I'm the cleanest thing in my apartment when I get out of the shower! Every time I use my towel it must get cleaner"?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Mirconium posted:

Do you also never wash your towels because "hey, I'm the cleanest thing in my apartment when I get out of the shower! Every time I use my towel it must get cleaner"?

Shower? I just ride my bike naked in the rain. :feelsgood:

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Rolo posted:

Car wash? The diy kind. Or a sprayer for $20 on amazon works fine.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

I'm also interested in Rolo's question. At my apartment I have my own garage but no access to a hose like a homeowner would have

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Yeah I’m in a parking garage with no hose. My unofficial plan is to just get two small buckets, have one be soap and one be rinse. Add a sponge and brush to the mix somewhere.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Unless you’re an anal weirdo, I bet you’ll not want to do it that way a second time. Just go to a coin op self service car wash and don’t use the high pressure around bearings, seals, or electronics.

Re: oil pan bolt: make sure you use a new copper crush washer every time and it’s kind of a safety that extends your “tight enough but not tight enough to strip threads/shear a bolt” window.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 8, 2019

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Two buckets is fine, yes. A bit of a chore when it comes rinsing as you might have to refill a few times, but do-able.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Rolo posted:

Originally,
Trip to the self serve car wash to blast all the goop and grime off.
Then two buckets, and a hand pump water sprayer to rinse.

Now, I pay some guy with a van to do it and also check my oil/chain/lubes. Because he can do it while I’m working making the whole endeavour cash flow positive.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

A cheap set of soft paint brushes is useful, easier to get into various shapes than a sponge. Keep one brush for filthy areas and one for fairly clean body panels you don't want to scratch.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
And acf-50 will stop it rusting into a lump

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Two buckets is fine, yes. A bit of a chore when it comes rinsing as you might have to refill a few times, but do-able.

I feel like I’m just repeating myself but go to amazon, search sprayer and get whatever has decent reviews and is cheap.

Ola posted:

A cheap set of soft paint brushes is useful, easier to get into various shapes than a sponge. Keep one brush for filthy areas and one for fairly clean body panels you don't want to scratch.

If you really want to get a bike clean, take the fairings off first. I don’t know why you’d really want this but if you did.

Shelvocke posted:

And acf-50 will stop it rusting into a lump

This stuff is the best.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I don’t need to take the fairings off and I’m not trying to get it show ready or anything. My bike fairings are white so I have to spot clean them pretty often during bug season but now the rest of it is due, especially before it gets much colder.

I hadn’t tried a quarter op because all the ones in my area are totally run down. I do live in a big city so I’ll see if I can find a decent one and just amazon a nice drying shammy to bring with me.

Otherwise I’ll just look into a sprayer/bucket. I wouldn’t mind the bucket because I’m like 15 steps and an elevator from where I’d be washing it.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I've heard good things about using a garden sprayer, like one of these:

For rinsing the bike after washing if you haven't got a hose.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
There are also battery powered pressure washers, both variants which you can feed from a bucket or has a fixed refillable supply. or you can take 50x trips to a self serve wash for the same price.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I did some research and found a nice self serve wash riding distance from me, so I’m just gonna go check that out.

Turns out Apple maps autocorrects “self serve car wash” to “car wash” and won’t let you change it back. Led me to believe that there were only major ride through brands like AutoBell.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Coin op car wash is the term I usually see describing them

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
That does work in maps without being replaced, so there you go. Gracias.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Finger Prince posted:

I've heard good things about using a garden sprayer, like one of these:

For rinsing the bike after washing if you haven't got a hose.

This is what I do, works a treat. Rinse it, wash it, rinse it again.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

So absolutely zero of the coin op washes in my town show up on google. Makes me want to make an app (read: convince someone who knows how to make an app) that is a directory of coin op washes. After the drive thru one hosed up my trucks clear coat, I’m never doing that again. Also it never really gets the undercarriage clean.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
Quite specific electrics question, apologies for being a bore -

I'm going to make an LED chip board to put in the tail light housing. There'll be two separate fused circuits; one for running tail light, and one for brake light.

The rectified output of my stator is 12v, and I'm going to add a large capacitor to smooth out the supply.

My plan is to use 6 X red LEDs in series each with a voltage drop of 2.2-2.4v. It means they'll be slightly under supplied at normal output but much better able to cope with a spike at higher RPM.

My understanding is that I won't need to use a resistor in this circuit as the voltage will be shared equally between the components and well below the tolerance level. Is that correct?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If no one in this thread answers your question, I’d bet the folks over here can!

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

Martytoof posted:

If no one in this thread answers your question, I’d bet the folks over here can!

Thanks, you're right, I'll go over there

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Martytoof posted:

Oh this is good, thanks for the link.

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009
What are the actual symptoms of a bike having too little battery capacity in terms of amp-hours if the cranking voltage is correct?

Just dead battery more often?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It'll go flat faster if you're trying to repeatedly start the bike, for one thing. It it's bad enough the bike might not even turn over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

If my motorcycle has a regular lead acid 6AH battery in it, and I replace it with a 9AH or 12AH lithium battery, it's not going to harm my motorcycle in any way is it?