Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Eau de MacGowan posted:

oh god i really shouldnt have shaved

the only decision that is truly unforgivable

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!

Mulva posted:

There's also the thought that tells you how old you are: A reminder that you are still in your early to mid-40s, and while you may not be able to wipe away all the damage your hard living has done, you still have time enough to turn things around and make a difference.

I'd say the entire game is about hope in desolation. It doesn't deny the reality of how bad things are, but it also doesn't say that things are meaningless because of that.
harry's kind of a drama queen about dora. get over it dude she clearly wasnt that into you. they werent even married

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

it is worth getting rid of that awful smile though

I got rid of *the expression* without shaving

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Relin posted:

harry's kind of a drama queen about dora. get over it dude she clearly wasnt that into you. they werent even married

They were together for over a decade and she was kinda the reason Harry became a cop.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

they would have gotten back together if he hadn't called her :colbert:

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Penisaurus Sex posted:

Reminds me of all the best contours of Thomas Mann, which is a comparison I don't think I've seen anywhere.

Deffo. I said it earlier: some of the stuff, particularly things like the Western Plain and boiadeiro culture are definitely inspired from Jorge Luís Borges and Gabriel García Márquez, the latter being the big name of magical realism.

The writers are really superb. And IIRC, none of them are native anglophones!

Tindahbawx
Oct 14, 2011

The game did indeed become a lot more amusing once I started over and went for Phy/Psy, my necktie started talking to me, and the dialogue options opened up in more amusing ways than cold logic or knowledge. Giving in to electrochem is pretty amusing too.

Thanks for the advice.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

they would have gotten back together if he hadn't called her :colbert:

it is much better for both of them that they don't get back together, if there's one thing that's firmly established it's that they were awful together

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Tindahbawx posted:

The game did indeed become a lot more amusing once I started over and went for Phy/Psy, my necktie started talking to me, and the dialogue options opened up in more amusing ways than cold logic or knowledge. Giving in to electrochem is pretty amusing too.

Thanks for the advice.

Glad you ended up enjoying the different playstyle more.

S w a y z e
Mar 19, 2007

f l a p

Palpek posted:

The tag already got uploaded:

I'll just ring it up for anybody who quotes this post in the next day or so.

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).

Oh no, did I miss this? Oh god. Tell me I didn't miss this.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Begemot posted:

In my first run, I just bashed in the back door of the bookshop, I had no idea you could convince Plaisance that you're a paranatural detective and then she just gives you the key.

I'm loving the Esprit De Corps checks in situations like these.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe

Palpek posted:

It being applied to an account depends on admin reaction time though (or you can buy an av with it added in img tags in the text field if you don't want to wait).
Please may I have a superstar hobocop tag?
I keep going back to day one to get those boots, although I did eventually gently caress about with hios mouth long enough to find what killed him, I've been playing for a couple of weeks because my mind gets burned out (Too many IRL characters I know... Wierd to be "triggered" by a game)
Of course I went ArtCop first play, and its magical.

Disco Inferno! [Press the Button]
https://i.ibb.co/N7pWkxt/Measurehead.png

staberind fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Nov 9, 2019

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GreyjoyBastard posted:

the only decision that is truly unforgivable
I regret nothing.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The anthropods are in silent and meaningless awe of you. They are rooting for you :3
"No, you are the miracle." I am in silent and meaningless awe of ZA/UM's writing, how do they understand me so well?

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 9, 2019

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Palpek posted:

me me me

Eau de MacGowan posted:

oh god i really shouldnt have shaved

such a bad choice

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Fess up those who have finished, how many times did you cry during the game? I am man enough to admit to at least being choked up 3 times. Coach Physical Instrument wouldn't have approved.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

tripwood posted:

Fess up those who have finished, how many times did you cry during the game? I am man enough to admit to at least being choked up 3 times. Coach Physical Instrument wouldn't have approved.

I almost cried during the tie sacrifice for some reason. He is such a faithful friend

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

tripwood posted:

Three times for me. Finding the Badge, telling the Working Class Woman what happened, and weirdly, the scene where the city tells Harry it loves him and begs him to help it remain on this earth. The Phasmid was a very powerful scene, too, but in a very different way.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

tripwood posted:

TYPICAL PEDERASTY OF THE RCM

Idia
Apr 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

tripwood posted:

A few times, I remember feeling really bad when I called the girl who quit the Whirling Rags because of Harry's antics. it was really upsetting. . I also had very mixed feelings about the dead mercenary. I both hated him for what he's done in other colonies and felt bad about his background.

Too much empathy in this run has made this game not as funny as other people's experiences with the game. I think I'm gonna go wild next run with electrochemistry.

Perhaps a hamster
Jun 15, 2010

Sekenr posted:

The anthropods are in silent and meaningless awe of you. They are rooting for you :3
"No, you are the miracle." I am in silent and meaningless awe of ZA/UM's writing, how do they understand me so well?

legit teared up at this part.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

holy poo poo

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

tripwood posted:

“ All the gifts your parents gave you, all the love and patience of your friends, you drowned in a neurotoxin. You let misery win. And it will keep on winning till you die -- or overcome it.”

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

lot of love for Kim here, and that's cool, that's cool, but Kim is only Harry's second best partner

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Night10194 posted:

Three times for me. Finding the Badge, telling the Working Class Woman what happened, and weirdly, the scene where the city tells Harry it loves him and begs him to help it remain on this earth. The Phasmid was a very powerful scene, too, but in a very different way.

Major moments for me. First, The tribunal. I felt ready. I had my armor. But I kept failing. At each failure, someone died. I had 75% chance to make all those checks, but hosed up every time. Got shot once, brushed it off only because of the armor, got shot the second time and went down. Almost everyone had died because of me. Managed to warn Kim in time even though Authority was my dump stat. But only because Kim *really* trusted me. It was so touching. I was sure I had gotten a game over and Harry was dead. He had failed after trying so drat much to change, to help the weakest of society. But he had at least tried. When I got to, I saw my boy Kim had taken care of me. Esprit de corps. Those writers, man. Those writers.

Second, the dream of Dora. But I felt it the most because of how raw it was, I wanted Harry to move on the entire game. But he couldn't. He wasn't ready. Every option in that conversation tree to move on pulled him back under like an undercurrent. Until the deathblow. There were tiny hints about it during the game, but the gut-punch solidly landed. Then you learn that it was that exact dream that played in his head, every night. For years. That drove him to oblivion.

Third, the conversation with the city. There have been a lot of Shivers-cop in detective novel, but the detached descriptions and the plea from the city felt like deep cuts. It reminded me of Sam Vimes from Discworld. And I have also felt great loneliness at times and felt comforted by long dark walks in the city. Feeling something powerful from the heart of the great city. It hit home.

About the ending, I'm kind of sad you get railroaded back into being a cop. Though I guess, they have to set up the sequel somehow. I totally wanted to give up my badge and invite Kim to become my partner and start our own private investigation company with me. That would have been bad-rear end. Psychic cop and ultra-stable cop together 4ever.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

"islet? like a gimp-island?"

lmao goddamn what a line

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Can Cuno dance?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
so how do i get the Jamrock Shuffle

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

so how do i get the Jamrock Shuffle
That, Torque Dork and Hardcore Aesthetic seem to be bugged at the moment, since no one figured out how to get them.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get Searchlight Division.

Fangz posted:

Can Cuno dance?
He only shows up on the island itself. Which, fair enough. Coding a whole separate bunch of interactions for every quest where you partner makes a remark would be daunting, to say the least.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 9, 2019

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Xander77 posted:

That, Torque Dork and Hardcore Aesthetic seem to be bugged at the moment, since no one figured out how to get them.

I'm still trying to figure out how to get Searchlight Division.
He only shows up on the island itself. Which, fair enough. Coding a whole separate bunch of interactions for every quest where you partner makes a remark would be daunting, to say the least.

Sorry then Kim is still the best

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Xander77 posted:

ok, they can be for the replay then when the expansion comes out

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

Hibbloes posted:

“ All the gifts your parents gave you, all the love and patience of your friends, you drowned in a neurotoxin. You let misery win. And it will keep on winning till you die -- or overcome it.”

gently caress

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Finished it earlier today, and it's just goddamned fantastic. The scene at the end before you take the boat back with the Phasmid made me tear up, as did the resolution to the missing husband case. The latter really got to me, because of the way that whole chain of events starts off just seeming like Harry going off on a ridiculous tangential chain of thoughts. ugh. I started off gravitating towards the sort of comedy-option dialogue choices towards the beginning of the game, but when you get your paperwork back and find out that you're actually a really good detective that has solved a lot of cases (to the point of impressing Kim, even) it really made me shift how I played going forward. I don't know that any other game has done that to me. I do kinda regret never figuring out what Cuno's deal was, though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

This game is extra deep if you ever spent a large portion of your life being a complete loving mess of a person with huge, dangerous cocktails of narcotics on the very, very regular but have finally made the effort to try to turn that shitshow around. But I bet it's still plenty deep if you didn't do that too, I just feel like they made this game for me and I appreciate that a lot.

I am pretty sure I am not going to be able to restart Communism, I guess it was time to come to terms with that. Also I don't think I really look that much like the statue fella but drat it Kim's a real peach to humor me on it. I have never before wanted a game to get a sequel as badly as this and I'm not anywhere near the end yet.

Agreed fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 9, 2019

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles
Just finished, I don't think there was anything that really choked me other than the interaction with the phasmid, but I don't think I got some of the bits mentioned (the city begging, for one). I think the meeting with dolores would have hit harder if not for the fact that I was obsessing over the possibility that somehow Kim was the murderer, based on a half-baked theory that he seemed to be too good a shot given his glasses.

Surely said over and over again through the last however many pages but the writing in this was incredible. I did have an issue with the structure of the investigation (it seemed abundantly clear from the first time Ruby was mentioned that she wouldn't be the killer, Klassje mentioned not hearing the sound of a gunshot (and my Logic voice acknowledged that as important), but I couldn't bring that up as a point against the killer being on the roof when talking to Kim about that, and then it's brought up in the confrontation with her and it's treated like new info.), but aside from that it felt pretty consistent which is pretty much a triumph as far as making a mystery video game goes, I'd say.

It was absolutely the funniest game I've played, at least in the first half. The phone call to the police station had me gasping for breath. Much less funny later on, but that made sense given the subject matter, and might also have been down to me being a boring sorry artcop.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Relin posted:

If Harry calls Dora on the Boardwalk and tries to say goodbye early, neither of them will hang up the phone. In their unskillfulness, they've made each other suffer for a long time, and they will go on to make each other suffer for some time more.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

The best part of the phasmid thing is that with the general vibe of the game and the whole questline, you expect it to be a funny moment or some kind of gag, but NOPE

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Palpek posted:

I stayed out of the thread so I could complete this spoiler free but I neeeeeed this.

Did a INT/PSY run. Rhetoric/Inward Empire created some interesting dichotomy, the emotional and rational parts of yourself fighting for dominance. I described playing this to a friend as like soaking in a caustic bath. It was so good.

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

Reveilled posted:

Surely said over and over again through the last however many pages but the writing in this was incredible. I did have an issue with the structure of the investigation (it seemed abundantly clear from the first time Ruby was mentioned that she wouldn't be the killer, Klassje mentioned not hearing the sound of a gunshot (and my Logic voice acknowledged that as important), but I couldn't bring that up as a point against the killer being on the roof when talking to Kim about that, and then it's brought up in the confrontation with her and it's treated like new info.), but aside from that it felt pretty consistent which is pretty much a triumph as far as making a mystery video game goes, I'd say.

I don't know, Ruby seemed a good perp for it. It is hinted that she is a lesbian, so I thought she might have been in love with Klassje (who might have manipulated Ruby to do her bidding), spied on her and killed the merc in a fit of jealousy. But it didn't add up in the end and you know it before you confront her. Sometimes, a good suspect is TOO good to be true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

tripwood posted:

I don't know, Ruby seemed a good perp for it. It is hinted that she is a lesbian, so I thought she might have been in love with Klassje (who might have manipulated Ruby to do her bidding), spied on her and killed the merc in a fit of jealousy. But it didn't add up in the end and you know it before you confront her. Sometimes, a good suspect is TOO good to be true.

Oh, definitely, there sure seemed to be motive for her, but when that comment about the sound of the gunshot was dropped very early on in that portion of the investigation, it then felt a little bizarre to then go through with trying to establish opportunity without resolving that question, or indeed even asking that question.