Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Rutibex posted:

it would be nice if they came up with some cool new sci-fi things instead of just doing endless call-backs

But how would you know its Star Wars?
With the tens of thousands of planets, the tens of trillions of people each on them, Star Wars is always and should be about 10 people max.
Half of which are related to the one family.
Otherwise how would you know which toys to get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

but blasters suck. blaster bolts are slower than bullets, give away your location, can be deflected by laser swords, and they do less damage than a bullet too. Leia gets hit in the shoulder with a blaster and it doesn't blow her arm off, she doesn't even seem to bleed. it just sort of knocks her over
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-NdcWLltXo

hey, she looks very uncomfortable for like 10 seconds

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Rutibex posted:

but blasters suck. blaster bolts are slower than bullets, give away your location, can be deflected by laser swords, and they do less damage than a bullet too. Leia gets hit in the shoulder with a blaster and it doesn't blow her arm off, she doesn't even seem to bleed. it just sort of knocks her over

I really like how blasters work in the first movie, where they seem to be inaccurate as gently caress, spew out loads of smoke like they're blackpowder guns or something, but absolutely blast poo poo apart and kill people without even hitting them directly because of shrapnel and crap. As the movies went along they more or less just became laser guns, but I feel like they're something else in ANH, something that fits Obi-Wan's description of "clumsy and random", but also incredibly destructive.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNoCDvJpmPU&t=63s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3es4wOyz-A&t=33s

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Rutibex posted:

Yeah, but you don't need to carry around ammo, which is a massive advantage, and there's very few Jedi walking around with lightsabers compared to bounty hunters, soldiers, bodyguards, regular civilians, etc even in the Republic era. Plus there's zero known Jedi and a single known Sith in the OT. I'll chalk up "less damage" to Leia having main character plot protection. Considering you are literally shooting extremely powerful kinetic energy at your target, there's no way it actually hurts less than a bullet and almost certainly deals far more damage.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Randarkman posted:

I really like how blasters work in the first movie, where they seem to be inaccurate as gently caress, spew out loads of smoke like they're blackpowder guns or something, but absolutely blast poo poo apart and kill people without even hitting them directly because of shrapnel and crap. As the movies went along they more or less just became laser guns, but I feel like they're something else in ANH, something that fits Obi-Wan's description of "clumsy and random", but also incredibly destructive.

i always thought the lore for Star Wars blasters was kind of dumb. some weird explosive gas? lame. the original concept for a "blaster" came from Asimovs Foundation novels, and it was much cooler. the original version was called a Atomic Blaster and it worked like a handheld atomic powered particle accelerator. it would disintegrate people/objects in one shot, just like the blasters from ANH

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Oh mah clunky
*Grabs chest, falls*

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
leia is clearly being hit by molten metal shrapnel from the doorframe next to her taking a hit

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
the Skywalker family is immune to blasters. It's why Chewbacca's bowcaster blows up a wall in TFA but when Chewie shoots Kylo with it it doesn't instantly rupture all his organs and make him explode from the inside.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

CharlestonJew posted:

the Skywalker family is immune to blasters. It's why Chewbacca's bowcaster blows up a wall in TFA but when Chewie shoots Kylo with it it doesn't instantly rupture all his organs and make him explode from the inside.

Kylo passed him CON save, which reduces the damage by half.

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

I had a spicy Cuban sandwich for lunch and now I'm going to "blast" some "molten shrapnel" into the office "cargo hold" iykwim

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

you think this whole entire planet is your personal stink-pit

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I recognised your foul stench when I was brought on board

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

[Jabba the Hutt voice] bantha poodoo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

a peck of pickled peckers posted:

I had a spicy Cuban sandwich for lunch and now I'm going to "blast" some "molten shrapnel" into the office "cargo hold" iykwim

In Star Wars it's called a vac chamber

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!

Make sure you yell maclunky

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

That's no moon...

a peck of pickled peckers
Aug 3, 2014

I am your Redeemer! It is by my hand that you arise from the ashes of this world!

*waddling to the bathroom, clenching my asscheeks together, through gritted teeth*

"INTENSIFY THE FORWARD FIREPOWER!"

*realizing I'm not going to make it*

"IT'S TOO LATE!"

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

*sees that there's no toilet paper*

It's aMcClunky!

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Well there's only been one episode shown so far and baby Yoda is literally at the end, so anything saying what the show is going to say in particular about the Yoda species is just speculation at this point

there was a leak that no one believed that said two things:

the first episode would end with baby yoda

dagobah would be the yoda people's home planet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I just hope they explain that one alien with superspeed from the second Ewok movie.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Horizon Burning posted:

dagobah would be the yoda people's home planet

lmao, they just can't help themselves

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

RaySmuckles posted:

hey, she looks very uncomfortable for like 10 seconds

That might be Harrison Ford giving her left breast a good twisting.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

John Wick of Dogs posted:

I just hope they explain that one alien with superspeed from the second Ewok movie.

diabeetus

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Greedo, staggers back from the cantina table and clutches his chest.
“I’m comin’ McClunkey! This is the big one!”

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Maybe yoda killed and ate all of his kind to absorb their Midichlorians and become the bestest Jedi?

Jesus why are these words autocapitalized smdh

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Colonel Cancer posted:

Maybe yoda killed and ate all of his kind to absorb their Midichlorians and become the bestest Jedi?

Jesus why are these words autocapitalized smdh

So somehow Midichlorians and Jedi are autocapitalized, but Yoda isn't? wtf?

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

QuarkJets posted:

So somehow Midichlorians and Jedi are autocapitalized, but Yoda isn't? wtf?

Lucas asked for the changes in the latest release of the Auto-Correct Special Edition.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

*lucas voice* "well that's because yoda is less important than Midichlorians, who are the true protagonists of the series"

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Does George Lucas store food in his giant hanging neck pouch for later consumption?

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
THE
MACLUNKDALORACHLORIAN

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Blistex posted:

Does George Lucas store food in his giant hanging neck pouch for later consumption?

he inflates it in a threat display whenever someone torrents the despecialized editions.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I prefer the original script for the han vs greedo scene where greedo calls han a punk rear end honkey, justifying han shooting first

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Beautiful.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

QuarkJets posted:

I prefer the original script for the han vs greedo scene where greedo calls han a punk rear end nerfherder, justifying han shooting first

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

:perfect:

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

I just want to say I love everything about all of this

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Owlbear Camus posted:

Imagine creating a film that is just a powerhouse cultural phenomenon that takes the world by storm and makes you a fabulously wealthy household name, and instead of saying "hell yeah, I did it" you just can't stop messing with the successful draft to almost everyone's ire and doing your damnedest to memory hole the theatrical version. People are weird.

He's bitter that his ex-wife made a good movie from his scraps

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

Randarkman posted:

I really like how blasters work in the first movie, where they seem to be inaccurate as gently caress, spew out loads of smoke like they're blackpowder guns or something,

I always assumed "Old Crappy Muskets" was essentially what Blasters were. Where they couldn't hit anything worth a drat and were essentially inferior to Bows/Crossbows, but their sheer ability to punch through armor made it so everyone more or less had to use them. Which led to centuries of men wearing no armor shooting impossible to accurately fire guns at each other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Suggestion for ultimate Han/Greedo scene cut:
*Greedo holds up Han* (No dialogue)
*They sit down at the booth* (No dialogue)
"Maclunkey"
*Han shoots Greedo*