Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Warmachine posted:

I'm surprised they go to either given the racist stereotypes they buy into.

Hey now, I'll have you know fried chicken is a Scottish creation, hatefully appropriated by the urban ferals. They're just taking it back!

Yes, I have seen this argument irl, why do you ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

quote:

To: polymuser
Patriotism in the U.S. is in no way Islamic. Do not let the smooth taste fool you. To them, we are still the Great Satan. These are people that no matter how sensitive they think you are to their jihad, you are still a mortal enemy of theirs. “Zero tolerance” has a well-deserved place here and we can’t afford to give them even half a chance...Never again! Make America hard again!

37 posted on 11/18/2019, 6:38:03 AM by equaviator (There's nothing like the universe to bring you down to earth.)

Freep: Make America hard again!

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Sarcastr0 posted:

An issue near and dear to freep’s core audience

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Sarcastr0 posted:

:discourse:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Hey now, I'll have you know fried chicken is a Scottish creation, hatefully appropriated by the urban ferals. They're just taking it back!

Yes, I have seen this argument irl, why do you ask?

Excuse me, what? How.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Manuel Calavera posted:

Excuse me, what? How.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

"Though without seasoning" may be the most Brittish food thought ever.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I've been trying to find a good source on Africans using palm oil for frying. For some reason I can't find anything solid online and the one book I have (about fried chicken in African-American culture) starts with slavery and I haven't found it going back to Africa yet.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Fathis Munk posted:

I assume this is the newest David Hogg related take.

I know this has been asked thousand times already, but Jesus how do you even get an image to that level of compression artifacting in god drat 2019?

It's like every computer the image went through recognized the banal terribleness of the image and did it's best to add to artifacting it out of existence.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm fine going back if they actually did stop doing those donations. Last time they said they were and then someone looked and surprise, they were still sending the money!

Surprise, they didn't stop.

sexpig by night posted:

Lol they're just not even waiting a full day

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/pa75xg/chick-fil-a-cuts-donations-salvation-army-lgbtq

quote:

Chick-fil-A says it will now focus its charitable efforts in three areas: education, homelessness, and hunger. But when asked more specifically, it did not go so far as to say that it will no longer donate to organizations that oppose LGBTQ rights.

"No organization will be excluded from future consideration–faith-based or non-faith-based," Chick-fil-A President and COO Tim Tassopoulos said in a statement to VICE.

Like the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Salvation Army (which now hosts a pro-LGBTQ page on its website), Chick-fil-A has faced accusations of homophobia from LGBTQ advocates because of both its charitable donations and public comments made by the fast food chain’s executives. In 2012, the current CEO (then-COO) of Chick-fil-A, Dan Cathy, triggered a massive controversy when he condemned same-sex marriage on a radio talk show.

"I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at Him and say, ‘We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage,’” he said. “I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

Cathy’s comments followed a report that named the Cathy family and the Winshape Foundation—a charity started by the founder of Chick-Fil-A, S. Truett Cathy, and funded by the chain—as major donors to organizations that practice conversion therapy. The report and Cathy’s comments, which didn’t stop there, inspired boycotts against Chick-fil-A and counter-boycotts by those who supported Cathy’s message.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?
There's a Freep thread about the "reversal" but most of them aren't buying it. Nothing's particularly funny, it's just them doubling down on their opinion or accusing Chick-Fil-A of "courting leftists".

I mean, if Chick-Fil-A was never going to stop donating to anti-gay organizations, why get their base riled up by releasing that first statement? And if they WERE going to stop, why immediately apparently backpedal? Are they seriously trying to play both sides here? Why the gently caress do I need to care about what a fried chicken fast food chain donates to?! Aaargh!!

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

dr_rat posted:

I know this has been asked thousand times already, but Jesus how do you even get an image to that level of compression artifacting in god drat 2019?

It's like every computer the image went through recognized the banal terribleness of the image and did it's best to add to artifacting it out of existence.

imagining it being originally made on a gateway 2000, 800x600 CRT, windows xp machine at the smallest resolution, saved at high compression to be able to fit eight per archive floppy

also lol at impact font caption memes traveling their way from here to reddit to everywhere to boomers over the last twenty years

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Peanut Butler posted:

imagining it being originally made on a gateway 2000, 800x600 CRT, windows xp machine at the smallest resolution, saved at high compression to be able to fit eight per archive floppy

Imagine making fun of olds while knowing what any of that means

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Crunch Buttsteak posted:

There's a Freep thread about the "reversal" but most of them aren't buying it. Nothing's particularly funny, it's just them doubling down on their opinion or accusing Chick-Fil-A of "courting leftists".

I mean, if Chick-Fil-A was never going to stop donating to anti-gay organizations, why get their base riled up by releasing that first statement? And if they WERE going to stop, why immediately apparently backpedal? Are they seriously trying to play both sides here? Why the gently caress do I need to care about what a fried chicken fast food chain donates to?! Aaargh!!

There actually are a lot of centrist mouthbreather types who are like "its a shame theyre anti LGBT but their chicken is SO GOOD" that this might actually work.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Their chicken isn't even good

It's a sad soggy unflavoured hunk of chicken breast in breading with "frozen and microwaved" texture, and a pickle, in generic awful white buns. Add some waffle fries and a bar of bad sauces.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

It's weird that this argument comes up (about their chicken being not good) every time Chik-Fil-A is discussed, because A) It's not true, it's pretty loving tasty, and B) Is completely beside the point and sounds like sour grapes.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It's literally worse than a McChicken in terms of texture, and the McChicken at least comes with mayo.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
It’s likely down to the local variance in quality to be honest. You’ve got a good McDonald’s and a bad Chick-fil-A.

Also, my phone’s autocorrect properly capitalized and hyphenated those Brands. We live in hell.

Edit: I also don’t really care about your opinions on fast food please do not take this as an incitement to keep posting about how much you think a chicken sandwich is good/bad.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

A McChicken is also $1 instead of $4 or whatever chick-fil-a charges

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Neito posted:

It's weird that this argument comes up (about their chicken being not good) every time Chik-Fil-A is discussed, because A) It's not true, it's pretty loving tasty, and B) Is completely beside the point and sounds like sour grapes.

Yeah, it reminds me of when Roman Polanski was back in the news and a lot of people were rightly calling for him to be extradited to the U.S. to serve his time. A bunch of them, though, said "his movies aren't even that good." Now, I think Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby are very good, but that's not the point. By bringing it up, you're implying that if his movies were better it'd be okay that he drugged and raped a thirteen year old girl.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

It’s likely down to the local variance in quality to be honest. You’ve got a good McDonald’s and a bad Chick-fil-A.

Also, my phone’s autocorrect properly capitalized and hyphenated those Brands. We live in hell.

Edit: I also don’t really care about your opinions on fast food please do not take this as an incitement to keep posting about how much you think a chicken sandwich is good/bad.

,,, typical Millenial demonrat type..., cant understand a Rational argruement... does not want to Debate, So blessed to Sea people younger than me Wearing red MAGA hats...

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

Jurgan posted:

Yeah, it reminds me of when Roman Polanski was back in the news and a lot of people were rightly calling for him to be extradited to the U.S. to serve his time. A bunch of them, though, said "his movies aren't even that good." Now, I think Chinatown and Rosemary's Baby are very good, but that's not the point. By bringing it up, you're implying that if his movies were better it'd be okay that he drugged and raped a thirteen year old girl.

(Total tangent, but for some reason your phrasing at the end reminded me of "Bob Sagat, who RAPED and KILLED a girl in 1990....")

I see the same thing about pretty much any creative-type who does something abhorant. Like how Annie Hall excuses Woody Allen of having a daughter-wife.

Aeolusdallas
Mar 2, 2016

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It's literally worse than a McChicken in terms of texture, and the McChicken at least comes with mayo.

That simply isn't true. It's by far the best fast food chicken. I won't eat it because of the bigotry but it tastes so good.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Aeolusdallas posted:

That simply isn't true. It's by far the best fast food chicken. I won't eat it because of the bigotry but it tastes so good.

Yeah, they marinate it in pickle brine and fry it in peanut oil. You can try it at home; the salt in the brine makes the chicken retain more moisture and the peanut oil fries it super quick to keep it from losing juices. It's a dead simple way to make good fried chicken.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Aeolusdallas posted:

I'd like to introduce you, in no particular order, to:
•Popeye's
•Bojangle's
•Zaxby's
•Chruch's
•Chester's

All as good or better fast food chickens. Hth

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Karma Comedian posted:

I'd like to introduce you, in no particular order, to:
•Popeye's
•Bojangle's
•Zaxby's
•Chruch's
•Chester's

All as good or better fast food chickens. Hth

LOL no. Popeye's is the only one that's on the same level.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I normally go to Popeyes and I used to go to Bojangles before the local one closed. The important part is you need to get the spicy chicken there for it to have the right flavor. The non-spicy stuff is super bland. Zaxby's sucks.

What really helped Chick-Fil-A before the slew of good fried chicken everywhere was they actually used full white breast meat in their sandwiches, nuggets, and strips. You weren't getting a reformed paste like a McNugget.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

What I’m hearing is you guys need to get better at fried chicken.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-aKqp1kzKg

He's actually turning his nose up at nose-to-tail cooking because of the social stigma attached to chicken nuggets. That's taking the bits you'd throw away and making something people will line up for out of it. I respect Jamie Oliver a great deal, but he got a bit classist here.

Of course, on the same show (Jamie Oliver's Food Revolution) he staged an intervention for a family that used its deep fryer for at least one component of literally every meal, and almost all their diet was frozen stuff. Their 12 year old boy turned out to be diabetic, go figure.

There's a shocking lack of food education in the world. Despite one slip, Jamie's Food Revolution was a noble effort to help address that issue.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

Korea has a ton of great fried chicken spots, which is awesome as they mostly also do delivery so if you are feeling lazy you can just ring up and get fried chicken to your apartment quick.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

Elephant Ambush posted:

LOL no. Popeye's is the only one that's on the same level.

How does it feel, going through life so blissfully unaware of how unequivocally wrong you are? :henget:

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
"you can concentrate a group of people into camps all day and that's fine, but if you refuse to eat a chicken sandwich from a particular fast food place you're a nazi!"~surely a viewpoint worth taking serious

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Their chicken isn't even good

It's a sad soggy unflavoured hunk of chicken breast in breading with "frozen and microwaved" texture, and a pickle, in generic awful white buns. Add some waffle fries and a bar of bad sauces.

Their sandwiches die REALLY fast in those god awful foil wrappers. They stay hot because it traps all the heat, but they get soggy because it traps all the steam. If you go straight to a table in the store they're quite good, but if you're driving even a few minutes first it's gonna be soggy.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Corsair Pool Boy posted:

Their sandwiches die REALLY fast in those god awful foil wrappers. They stay hot because it traps all the heat, but they get soggy because it traps all the steam. If you go straight to a table in the store they're quite good, but if you're driving even a few minutes first it's gonna be soggy.

I worked at Chik Fil A and I can agree. If you can get it absurdly fresh like out of the fryer pickle just put on it then those are actually fairly decent sandwiches. Same goes for the fries. The second you let any of it sit for longer than 3 minutes it's all basically the same as if you were eating it anywhere else. I guess that's fast food in general, but I gotta say I feel like other fast food lasts longer without becoming aggressively bad.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
This is the thing that annoys me about Raisin’ Cane’s too. They put your chicken and fries in a styrofoam container instead of a paper one, so it all gets soggy. It’s bad.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

This is the thing that annoys me about Raisin’ Cane’s too. They put your chicken and fries in a styrofoam container instead of a paper one, so it all gets soggy. It’s bad.

cane's is like - just okay? not terrible, a lil too salty, etc- I like the idea of "we do p much one thing only" but if that's the case you gotta knock it outta the fuckin park

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Their sauce is good and the strips, if you eat them onsite, are amazing.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Captain Monkey posted:

Their sauce is good and the strips, if you eat them onsite, are amazing.

ahh ours is drive-thru only

another part of it might be that it opened up during this couple of months when five other chicken chains moved into town, all within a couple blocks of each other, on a stretch of road I now call "chicken strip" - so after trying am all I usually end up going to the Popeyes across the street

another one that opened and closed within a couple years was Slim Chickens, A++ name, A- food, D- prices

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Goons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

InsertPotPun posted:

"you can concentrate a group of people into camps all day and that's fine, but if you refuse to eat a chicken sandwich from a particular fast food place you're a nazi!"~surely a viewpoint worth taking serious

Good thing literally no human in reality has taken this position, or I might have to agree with you.