Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flopsy posted:

Just curious but are the pokemon that show up in your raid dens randomized or are there certain areas that spawn certain pokemon because I'm starting to get real tired of sandacondas. BTW I've captured at least two gigantamax pokemon and would be willing to trade them for something with a hidden ability.

I'm beginning to breed HA Rookidees for that sweet Mirror Armor Corviknight if you want one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

so are HA's assured from raids or increased chance?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

iospace posted:

so are HA's assured from raids or increased chance?
increased chance

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Blaziken386 posted:

increased chance

Alright then! I know what I'm doing after I get my living dex done.

Which is much easier now that trade evos spawn in the wild area!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I may actually finally do a living dex! 400 seems doable.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I'm beginning to breed HA Rookidees for that sweet Mirror Armor Corviknight if you want one

That's very kind of you to offer but I actually caught a hidden ability Corviknight during a gigantamax battle. Used a master ball because I was paranoid about it escaping like every other gigantmax pokemon has.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Look there's been a lot of bad posts over the last ten pages, but somebody said "get better favourite Pokemon", and that's the only truly reprehensible thing anyone has said

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Answer a question for my fiance, who didn't give up on this game like I did.

What do Rotom Rally Points do?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

God I keep getting disconnected from the servers. Like I'm lucky to connect for a few seconds before losing. The gently caress is this trash

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Turtlicious posted:

they're a statistic on your trainer card, and you get some watts from doing it

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

God I keep getting disconnected from the servers. Like I'm lucky to connect for a few seconds before losing. The gently caress is this trash
server problems today, it's not just you.
https://twitter.com/nintendo_cs/status/1197583979789946880

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Welcome to the party pal. We eat the pig and together we burn.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Turtlicious posted:

They give you watts which allows you purchase technical records from the guys stationed around the wild area. It can be pretty broken because you can give your pokemon ridiculously good moves VERY early on in the game.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

I know I'm probably well behind on this, but since I've been avoiding plot spoilers I'm not completely sure.

The 7th and 8th gyms were pretty "meh". I'm super enjoying the game so far, but that was pretty much just beat up some team skull, beat gym leader in a street fight, then walk one route over and right into the next gym. drat near nothing separated them. I really want to see how much a third version polishes this game. I beat Pearl right before SwSh came out and I know how much Platinum did to improve gen 4, so here's hoping for a much more fleshed out B story/dungeons

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Blaziken386 posted:

Well, this is unfortunate. Just got home from work, and I've got a 5* Gigamax Centiskorch raid that's gonna vanish in an hour that I wanted to share with friends :(

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Blaziken386 posted:

Lame. I have my oval and shiny charm. Flame body Carkol. Just need to loiter on the awful trade until I net a ditto and I can't :argh:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/bunchajokers/status/1197728510707732480?s=20

Someone made one of these to figure out who you like best in the game.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I got the joke behind gym 7, but that was still not really engaging to play. And Piers' intro scene was um. Way to have a concert style intro with absolutely no voice acting or a new song of some kind?

Also wow at the blatant "This is normally the point where you'd do something else so there's more to do between gyms 7 and 8, except we didn't have time to program this event in."

The seams are really starting to show at this point. This game really needed more time in the oven.

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

Kirios posted:

I may actually finally do a living dex! 400 seems doable.

I'm doing one for the first time ever. It's actually not that bad! I just beat the gym leaders, but I'm before this gen's version of the Elite 4 and I have about 250 caught? That's without me grinding away for rare spawns on certain routes, because I get bored if I do that for more than 10-15 minutes at a time. After ever gym I do make a round of the wild area though, and I have a blast going through there and doing raids. Honestly, I think raiding is my favorite part, especially when my boyfriend is able to drop in and help so easily. Getting random people online to help has been more difficult though.

Speaking of, I added my friend code to the Nintengoons discord, but is there a list of friend codes for goons who just want pokemon friends? I think it'd really help out with the raiding if we could just 'sort by friends' on the stamp screen instead of randomly clicking raid stamps. I know there is that Pokegoons discord too, but it doesn't seem like they have a place for friend codes at all.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Framboise posted:

late because i was working but uh

i don't think i've seen a single person in this thread say everything is great, if nothing else it seems everyone has some criticism for the game, it's more just a matter of "are you really gonna let yourself die on this hill over xyz issue instead of enjoy the game warts and all" and i think that's a lot of the core issue here

I'm seriously intrigued by this. I have been pretty overleveled so far but there have been a couple tense moments so far, nothing unmanageable by any means-- but a Champion that's actually not a cakewalk sounds really interesting.

Depends on how overleveled you are as my Inteleon wound up oneshotting his Charizard (and most of his team for that matter), then again I also abused XP candies quite a bit in this game. That said, if you play fair though you’ll probably have a decent fight on your hands.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Araxxor posted:

I got the joke behind gym 7, but that was still not really engaging to play. And Piers' intro scene was um. Way to have a concert style intro with absolutely no voice acting or a new song of some kind?

Also wow at the blatant "This is normally the point where you'd do something else so there's more to do between gyms 7 and 8, except we didn't have time to program this event in."

The seams are really starting to show at this point. This game really needed more time in the oven.

You haven't seen nothin yet buddy

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why does Bede not get a remixed theme. gently caress!!!

EatinCake
Oct 21, 2008
Weird that they haven't made another game since Gen 2 that let you venture to an old region. There's an amazing game yet to be made that let's you actually choose a starting region and play out the rest. gently caress it, change the end curve to lvl.200's.

It is fun to see them take baby steps towards different gameplay. With enough of the fanbase in their, what, late 20's mid 30's now maybe they'll do a proper hard mode someday ah who am I kidding

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

EatinCake posted:

Weird that they haven't made another game since Gen 2 that let you venture to an old region. There's an amazing game yet to be made that let's you actually choose a starting region and play out the rest. gently caress it, change the end curve to lvl.200's.

It is fun to see them take baby steps towards different gameplay. With enough of the fanbase in their, what, late 20's mid 30's now maybe they'll do a proper hard mode someday ah who am I kidding

That is because it actually would take an insane amount of work to revisit an old region. They said pretty bluntly multiple times that the Gen 2 thing was a one-time thing.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Thank you, seems like Raid pokemon are very good breeding fodder and the ball seems to be irrelevant to success rates so I'll continue catching them in whatever looks coolest

When/where was this confirmed? If it's true that's pretty drat terrible.

ImpAtom posted:

It is selling faster than S/M?

Seems unlikely. S&M had a much larger install base to work with.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Hi so I'm absolutely at a stuck spot of my own creation, because every time I try and think about what team I want and that I want it to be "good" means I stop when I get into this mood and fail to move on. So I'm hoping the thread can offer some insight into how to push this square peg into a round hole.

My current team is Cinderace, Corviknight, Sirfetch'd, Gardevoir, Vileplume, and Dubwool. However I'm thinking of swapping Dubwool out for more coverage, something ice or water and special attacking as I'm heavy on physical attacks. I was thinking Glaceon, as I've never used it before, and it's very cute. And then it can learn the ice move that destroys water types, so that got me thinking I could swap Vileplume for something else, notably something good against Fire as that's a giant hole in my line up. But I'm nowhere near closer to sorting out a team now than I am before. My go to ground types are Mamoswine or Excadrill, and I already have that typing and both are physical. I suppose I could then go water, but the best water special attacker in my mind is good ol Vaporeon. Barraskuda looks great as physical but I'm not sold on it's looks or how my team would end up looking.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Pokemon as a series not reusing old ideas is something that goes all the way back to gen 1. And I get it-- they want to keep the surprise factor alive and try to make the game not-too-samey. And most of the time I'm 100% fine with it. There is such a thing as feature bloat and you can only use the same tired idea so many times before it becomes stale-- and the fact that Game Freak has been able to continue this same idea for over 20 years now is actually very impressive. Each game manages to feel fresh in some way or another, and while many complain of "two steps forward, two steps backward" and such, I'm pretty okay with it. There are some features I'd love to see again, like going to a past region, or mega evolutions, or contests-- but I also think it's okay to let each game have its own gimmick too-- something that will sell the game from the start and gives players a reason to go back and play the old games too-- so they don't lose relevance and just collect dust on your shelf.

In fact, while I liked that Mega evolutions gave Pokemon new stats/types/artwork, I think I like the Dynamax system more because it means ANY Pokemon can use it. I suppose Gigantamax Pokemon are kind of the "Megas" of this generation.

I think, ultimately, people should remember that new/removed features have always been and always will be a part of Game Freak's MO with Pokemon games, and you shouldn't get too attached to any of them lest you become very disappointed when it inevitably is removed in place of a new mechanic whose entire point is to keep the series fresh and interesting. And if you like X feature so much... well, the older game with that feature is still there for you to love! Gen 2 is my favorite generation in the series and a big part of that was the big SURPRISE WELCOME TO KANTO bit when you thought the game was about to be over. I never cared that Kanto was a bit lackluster compared to the original Kanto or the gym leaders were a bit too easy (and there's a lot to be said on the fact that if Satoru Iwata wasn't as loving awesome as he was, it never would have existed at all), I was just super hyped by the surprise of it all and that's a feeling that I hope to eventually experience again. But if not, I know the game will always be there to come back to. Old games are still good games!

Framboise fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Nov 22, 2019

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

That is because it actually would take an insane amount of work to revisit an old region. They said pretty bluntly multiple times that the Gen 2 thing was a one-time thing.

And also gen 2 kantonhad gently caress all to do in it outside of old gym leaders tomfight.so you might as well just bring the PwT back and save the dev time making a bunch of empty loving towns.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
if anyone comes into possession of a HA Sableye, please let me know what I can get for you in exchange for one

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

Snowmankilla posted:

I am dumb as hell. If I leave my female Drizzile with a male Chewtle at the nursery will they make a Sobble egg? And if so, how do I get a second one? Just wait again?

Yes, Drizzile and Chewtle are compatible. You can check in-game if two pokemon will produce eggs or not by talking to the daycare person. If the person says something like "they prefer to play with other pokemon", then they will not breed. If it's something like "they don't get along very well", you'll still get eggs, they'll just appear slowly. The baby's species is determined by the mother.

Eggs have a chance to spawn every 256 steps you take, so just ride your bike in circles for a bit. The daycare person has an egg for you if they put their hand up by their head. Once you get the egg you can work towards getting another. There's no limit to how many eggs a pair can produce, but you always have to get the egg from the person before the next can spawn.

If you want more mechanical detail so you can look up partners on bulbapedia in the future, breeding compatibility is based on egg groups. The pair have to share an egg group to be able to breed. Drizzile is water 1 and field, and Chewtle is monster and water 1. So, they are compatible since they share water 1.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

:stonk:

lezard_valeth posted:

Apparently the Obstagoon raid is also hard. I'mma have a blast breeding pokes to bring to these specific raids

https://twitter.com/ScraftyDevil/status/1197670371962413057

The KISS Army cannot be stopped.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

So how do i make my knight bird even better? What nature/moves should I be aiming for?

Adamant Nature because I think its sp.atk sucks?

Drill Peck, Iron Head, Body Press, Iron Defense is what I have on my G-Max Corviknight though I don't have U-Turn's TM yet. Once I get that IDK what I'd drop for it though, if anything. Iron Defense once or twice turns it in to a ridiculously hard to kill bird if the opponent doesn't have fire or electric.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
I gotta say it's pretty baffling that they did some move and movepool changes that were seemingly aimed at improving the competitive environment somewhat, in addition to all the rigmarole about dex cuts

and they decided to keep stealth rock in

:psyduck:

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

ungulateman posted:

I gotta say it's pretty baffling that they did some move and movepool changes that were seemingly aimed at improving the competitive environment somewhat, in addition to all the rigmarole about dex cuts

They buffed the crap out of Rapid Spin though, should help curb the stealth rock meta if it gets cleared immediately, you take a 50 power hit, and they go up one speed level.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
entry hazards are badass

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

ungulateman posted:

Stealth rocks are hardly an issue in doubles, the only format Gamefreak really cares about balancing

GenericGirlName
Apr 10, 2012

Why did you post that?
They also added an item that gives immunity to all hazards :eyepop:

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Games were also a lot smaller in scope back then compared to today. (even though compared to other games at the time, Pokemon was significantly bigger in scope compared to all the Game Boy games out there.) Actually making a fully fleshed out 2nd region in today's game environment would be significantly more infeasible. Like Kanto was basically added on a whim thanks to Iwata and others' compression magic. That sort of thing happening is a lot more rare for bigger games today.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

i should clarify that i'm a diehard gen 4 competitive battler so i'm used to the metagame being defined by stealth rock, but i also don't think game freak wants it to be, and the aborted attempt they made to remove stealth rock in gen 5 (by making it not a TM and requiring you to transfer Pokemon from gen 4 to actually get it on any new Pokemon via breeding) would be properly enforceable in SwSh.

given how much of a hardon they have for charizard i'm surprised they've kept the number one thing that's forced them to give it insane overpowered nonsense abilities generation after generation to compensate

then again maybe they just want to give charizard insane overpowered nonsense abilities and are keeping stealth rock around to keep them in check. who knows!

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

also team preview sucks and we should go back to having a lead pokemon metagame so i can use bullet punch machamp

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

lezard_valeth posted:

k finished the game and now I want to EV/IV/Nature train my team.

1) Is there a way to reset EVs outside of berries in this game?
1.a) What is the best way to EV train here?
2) Where do I get bottlecaps?
3) Where do I change Natures?

1) No.
1.a) The easiest way is to buy vitamins. You need 26 each of two types of vitamins, plus 1 of another type, to max out a pokemon. So, for example, if you want attack and speed, buy 26 protein, 26 carbos, and 1 of whatever else (like HP Up). Feed the protein and carbos first, then the leftover one.

This is kind of expensive -- 10000 per vitamin so 530000 to fully train one pokemon. You can buy them in Wyndon in the central pokemon center. Here's a link to a post that describes how to get money:

Metagrubs posted:

posting on the devil page to give you all a tip since we're talking about vitamins, and affording them. This only works if you've already beaten the game.

Another option if you want to get it done passively is to use Poke Jobs. You can leave up to 10 pokemon in an EV enhancing job. It's really slow and you can't use the pokemon while they're at the job, so I'd stick to vitamins, but if you're not in a hurry it's easy.

The "traditional" way of fighting specific enemies while using a hold item to boost EV gain is kind of bad compared to the new ones. Don't bother with it.

2) From the battle tower, the digging duo, or some raid battles.
3) The mints are available for 50BP from a shop in the battle tower.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

arrowdust
Jan 26, 2015

Approximately at what level are goons beating the game?