Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

FilthyImp posted:

The baby gay is being an rear end. "OMG i just discovered something, let's have it be 10,000% of who I am at all times" is not something everyone is into.

Just so we're being unambiguous, I agree with you 100%. She seems to be very much attacking the OP for not being "Gay enough" by her definition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I am of the opinion that if you've seen one gay pride parade, you've seen them all, but then again I am a poster on the Something Awful forums so maybe I'm kind of a stick in the mud

regardless it would get old fast if some coworker tried to drag me to one when I had better things to do

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

have to lol at the american gay man who’s «not into politics» like thats a sustainable way to live in 2019, tho

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Everyone that says they're not into politics is a conservative that doesn't want any backlash for their garbage beliefs.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Help! Everyone Loves My Sister’s Loser Boyfriend.

quote:

My sister’s loser boyfriend: My sister and her fiancé have been together for more than six years and everyone in my family adores him. I, on the other hand, am not so fond of him. He’s a mooch at best. For example, my family finds it endearing that he quit his job to follow my sister to her new job in a new city and that he works from home. (No one knows what his real job is.) I think that he lacks self-worth. My partner did the same as he did, but we picked a city where we both could have our dream jobs. My family also thinks it’s hilarious that he jokes about becoming a stay-at-home boyfriend, but I think that makes him a loser who lacks ambition (my sibling has multiple graduate degrees and she’s the first in our family with a doctorate). Every time he and my sister visit my parents, he stays all weekend, even though his parents live 20 minutes away and he has friends in the area. He’ll even stay at home with my parents if my sister makes plans with her own friends. My parents think it’s thoughtful that he’s always at family events, whereas my partner only visits for holidays. But I think it’s concerning that he doesn’t have a relationship with his family and also consider it a red flag that he won’t leave her side.

I haven’t seen my sister one-on-one in more than three years and I have had failed attempts at getting alone time with her. (He crashed our last girls’ trip.) I have given up on ever hanging out with my sister alone, but I still have to be around him during the holidays and family events. I have been very polite, but my patience is running thin. Should I say something to her, or do I need to accept the relationship and learn to be around him?

quote:

You need to accept the relationship and learn to be around him. There seems to be nothing particularly wrong with him, and it’s been six years. I think that you would feel differently if your brother had a girlfriend who quit her job to follow his, etc.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

AITA for stop teaching my girlfriend how to drive because she is stubborn about braking with her left foot?

quote:

My girlfriend and I are both 19. She has never been taught how to drive and wanted to learn from me. She followed my instructions on the first lesson. Two days ago however on the second lesson, she was stubborn about braking with her left foot even after I warned her about the safety reasons why almost everyone uses their right foot on both the gas and the brake pedals.

She said that since she’s a volleyball player, she doesn’t want to develop a muscle imbalance in her calves. I told her that she could just switch from her right foot to her left foot when braking at a red light and gently press down and lift up her left foot repeatedly to train her left calf a bit. She said that isn’t enough and she would be able to learn how to left foot brake effectively and safely if she practices it from the start.

I kind of see her point, but I told her it’s still a needless safety hazard and I don’t want to be responsible if she gets into an accident driving this way by condoning this method. I threatened to quit teaching her how to drive if she doesn’t use her right foot exclusively like most drivers. She was so stubborn and said she’ll ask one of her friends to teach her instead. Apparently, one of her male friends will start teaching her tomorrow.

I talked to some of my friends about this and most of them don’t see it as a big issue for her to brake with her left foot. Most also think I’m making a big mistake by letting another guy teach her how to drive.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for stop teaching my girlfriend how to drive because she is stubborn about braking with her left foot?

I guarantee anyone who gets stuck behind her is going to go nuts. There’s no way her brake lights aren’t on all the drat time. She’s either gonna stomp her gas and brakes at the same time and rear end somebody, or someone isn’t going to know she’s braking and get rear ended.

emptyspace
Oct 21, 2008
Just teach her to drive stick. She'll probably still cause an accident, but her left calf will get a workout.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

DemoneeHo posted:

I was waiting for the drinking, cheating, drug use, living out of a car, have a kid with an ex, not paying child support, 10+ year age gap...

Seems like the guy is just a charming, loving, involved part of the Sister's life and he doesn't have much to do with his own family probably because they are pieces of poo poo and he got out and learned to be a positive human being.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

DemoneeHo posted:

Okay, it's slightly weird that this woman has allegedly never been one-on-one with her own sister in the last three years. But she's also super biased so I don't know if I believe that.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

DemoneeHo posted:

I don't care how she brakes but this:

quote:

She said that since she’s a volleyball player, she doesn’t want to develop a muscle imbalance in her calves.
is an incredibly stupid reason. "I just don't want to" is a better reason.

quote:

Most also think I’m making a big mistake by letting another guy teach her how to drive.
These people either know something or are really toxic.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Spent my entire paycheck in one day

quote:

I got my first paycheck from my new job yesterday and … I went a little crazy. Long story short, I got four haircuts from four separate barbers. I don’t know why I did it—I wanted to treat myself but I think I went a little too far. The first haircut was not a lot of money, $25 including the tip. I was in a good mood so I went to another highly rated barber and got another haircut, and then another, and then another. It added up quickly, and now I have spent my entire paycheck in one day and my hair is as short as it can be without being bald. I’m fine with the money I have now, I’ll be able to make it to my next paycheck, but I feel depressed and empty knowing that all of the money that I worked so hard for went to waste on four haircuts. It hurts even more knowing that I could have just gotten an extra-short haircut the first time and not paid for the other three haircuts. Also, I didn’t even use one of the haircuts to shave my facial hair, so I almost went to a fifth barber for the shave before I realized that I had spent my entire paycheck. How can I cheer myself up after this and how can I better budget myself in the future?

quote:

This is … bizarre. This is bizarre behavior. I know you’re not thrilled about it either, so I do not want to scold, but it’s important to register how absolutely wild this was. I suggest you cheer yourself up by making a budget for your next paycheck (and future paychecks). People love YNAB. If this, or any variation of this (buying 100 watermelons) happens again, get thee to a therapist.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I figured it out. The haircut guy has a haircut fetish.

Punkinhead
Apr 2, 2015

DemoneeHo posted:

I was in a good mood so I went to another highly rated barber and got another haircut, and then another, and then another. It added up quickly, and now I have spent my entire paycheck in one day and my hair is as short as it can be without being bald.

I don't know why but I think this is the funniest thing I've seen in weeks, holy poo poo

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

I don't care how she brakes but this:
is an incredibly stupid reason. "I just don't want to" is a better reason.
If you could gain muscle from driving, then every NYC cab driver would have titanium calves.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

DemoneeHo posted:

How do you tolerate that excuse for more than 3 seconds without pointing out that no one on the planet has a 'calf imbalance' from driving?

Tarkus
Aug 27, 2000

Dienes posted:

How do you tolerate that excuse for more than 3 seconds without pointing out that no one on the planet has a 'calf imbalance' from driving?

I can only imagine her running in circles on the field cursing her calf imbalance.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

DemoneeHo posted:

That screams bipolar manic episode to me, but also:

A Moose posted:

maybe this guy just needs some good headphones and an ASMR playlist.

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

just send her to a racing school so they can teach her to left foot brake properly

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Stolen from the good tweets thread:

https://twitter.com/ellle_em/status/1199127938572177408

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

DemoneeHo posted:

This strikes a chord with me because I’m gonna get my first adult paycheck on Friday and the first thing I’m gonna spend it on is a $75 haircut. :coal:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

This is a thread. Please click on it.

extremely online
Mar 23, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

chitoryu12 posted:

This is a thread. Please click on it.

[PLEASE] [CLICK] [IMMEDIATELY]

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

DemoneeHo posted:

brattyrichgirl.txt

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

A Moose posted:

I don't have a fetish, but I could definitely enjoy getting my hair washed and/or manually cut for a couple hours. Direct line to the spine tingles of joy.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"not ambitious enough" p much directly translates to "not rich enough"

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I don't have a fetish, but I could definitely enjoy getting my hair washed and/or manually cut for a couple hours. Direct line to the spine tingles of joy.

Could you enjoy it so much you just keep doing it over and over and only stop when you realize you're out of money? people only do stuff like that because of brain problems or horny reasons

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
The holidays are upon us, and you know what that means: rear end in a top hat relatives!

My (35/F) relatives of various ages expect too much from me during the holidays due to my wealth.

quote:

The problem didn't occur to me until last Christmas.

My parents throw a massive Christmas party every year to which everyone is invited. Most of my cousins are married and have multiple children now. Although I don't buy gifts for every relative, I do make a point to buy gifts for their children. It doesn't bother me in the least to do that as I don't have any children of my own and it really is nice seeing their eyes light up when they open their gifts. I've done this for the past ten or so years. Most of the time I buy them toys or video games or other mid-priced things that I know they'll enjoy (and that won't overshadow what their parents got them which was a problem once) and it works out nicely for everyone.

Last year I got all of them (about eight children) clothes from a recent work-related trip to Paris. I was there for just over a month and figured it would be nice to bring something back for the children. Christmas was fast approaching at the time, so I decided to wrap up those clothes and give them out for Christmas instead of just like that. I was busy and didn't have time to cater to each child's wish list separately that year. Didn't seem like a big deal. Then at the party when we were all opening gifts around the tree (the adults having done a Secret Santa gift exchange as usual) I was basically made to feel like the Grinch for getting the children clothes.

I get it. No child likes getting clothes for Christmas. But they're not toddlers. Their age range is 12-17 which is around the time they start appreciating new (designer) clothing, or am I completely off the mark with that? Regardless, it wasn't the children making a joke of it and passive aggressively taking jabs at me throughout. It was their parents and one or two of the younger adults who don't have any children.

"You got them clothes?"

"Imagine opening a gift on Christmas from your rich aunt and finding a peacoat!"

"Why would you do that to a child?"

Although they said these things laughingly, there was still a bit of judgment and malice behind it, which my parents (who were also treated like the rich aunt and uncle whose money grew on trees even though they struggled a lot and worked hard for it like I did and still do) picked up on and didn't appreciate. My mother didn't say a word to anyone apart from my dad, brother and myself the rest of the night. My brother didn't make me feel bad for buying his daughter (12/F) clothes. In fact they both went out of their way to thank me so that everyone else could hear and take the hint. She wears the coat that I got her all the time.

I don't know. Thinking about it now ... I have bad taste in my mouth about everyone who complained last year. It's about the children at the end of the day. I'm still going to buy them gifts because they deserve it and because it's Christmas but I don't want to let the other adults bully me into buying their children what they think I should because I'm the "rich aunt" or whatever. Their wish lists are for their parents to cater to ... not me. There are people out there who only buy gifts for their immediate family members. I hate to say it, but my extended family should be more than happy that I buy gifts for their children at all. I hardly see any of them (apart from my immediate family) outside of Christmas.

Shouldn't they be setting a better example for their children? Instead of complaining to me "as a joke" shouldn't they say thank you and move right along because it's Christmas?

I'm not a parent, so I don't understand. Maybe their children were genuinely upset and I simply didn't pick up on it.

Not sure what to do or what to get them this year. Again I want the children to be happy with what I get them but I don't want to let what happened last year sway what I do this year. Because that wasn't fair to me at all. The adults went out of their way to make me feel like poo poo. I genuinely felt bad for disappointing everyone. And I get that because I can afford to get them other things they may want, Christmas is the best time to do that, but those clothes weren't inexpensive by any stretch of the imagination.

I don't even know what I'm saying anymore.

What should I do about this?

tl;dr Last year I got the children in the family clothes instead of toys. The children didn't complain or look disappointed (as they're 12-17 and had already received gifts from their parents and immediate family) but their parents (my cousins) were very (albeit jokingly) vocal about how it probably feels to open a Christmas gift from your rich aunt only to find clothes in the box instead of something cool. They were relentless about it and very passive aggressive. I don't want to allow them to bully me into doing what they think I should (as the "rich aunt") but I don't want to disappoint the children either as they're only children. Not sure what to get them or how to draw the line in case any comments are made this year.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Beachcomber posted:

Spend a lot less money and get one of these.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Maybe dude kept going to Sportzcutz to get the big boobed girl to lean on his shoulder.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cythereal posted:

The holidays are upon us, and you know what that means: rear end in a top hat relatives!

My (35/F) relatives of various ages expect too much from me during the holidays due to my wealth.

her relatives are assholes, but she's rich so she gets no sympathy.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Incoherence posted:

If you could gain muscle from driving, then every NYC cab driver would have titanium calves.
There would also be significantly less obesity in America because everybody'd be getting tons of exercise.

...Actually, thinking about it, I'm surprised no scam artist has yet tried to advertise the Magic Driving Exercise Regime. Do you want a way to lose weight with zero effort, zero pain, and zero changes whatsoever? Well, now we've got the answer: Lose weight while you drive! I pump the brakes on my way to work and I lost 47 pounds in a month!

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus

quote:

Fastforward a week and she calls me FURIOUS asking me what my deal was. I was confused because I thought the gift was cute, I didn't think it was bad at all. Apparently someone at my work had written some VERY Anti-Japanese slurs and racist comments on Dec 7th, the anniversary of Pearl Harbor . My girlfriend is Japanese herself. Luckily she trusted me and knew I wouldn't normally do something like this, but she sent the Calendar back so I could bring it to HR.

Dear Idiot Americans: We dropped two nuclear bombs on Japan. We're squaresies. Stop being so butthurt about Pearl Harbor.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Biplane posted:

her relatives are assholes, but she's rich so she gets no sympathy.

Fine. Here's a wholesome palette cleanser: people dealing with grief in a healthy way while military wives are rear end in a top hat:

I (26F) started dating another widow (30F) and our friends hate us for it

quote:

submitted 59 minutes ago by merrywidowissues

Four years ago I married Tom, who was in the military. He died eight months ago in an accident, and I miscarried shortly afterwards.

I still live near the base, though I don't work there, and joined a widow support group. They're a great group of women (or so I thought) and a few men, and they've been a terrific help getting me through Tom's death and putting my life back together. Tom and I had been together since high school, and I'd never really been on my own without him.

In particular I bonded with a woman I'll call Jill. Jill's husband died a few years ago and she has a two year old of her own. We've been over to each other's houses a lot, and one night Jill had too much to drink and confessed that she was gay and marrying her husband had been a mistake. And that she was deeply attracted to me. I told her that she was drunk and it wasn't appropriate. She didn't say anything about it again until two weeks ago.

Fully sober this time, Jill told me that in all seriousness she was very attracted to me and wanted to be more than just friends but she had no idea how to approach a woman since she's been pretending to be straight all her life.

I'm what I've always called theoretically bisexual: I've known I'm into both men and women since I was in high school, but I met Tom while we were both in high school and that was that. I never had any desire to be with anyone else.

I'd never thought of Jill that way, but I realized I do like her a lot and she's gorgeous. We went on what we didn't call a date and it was super awkward but also a lot of fun. Last week we went on a for real date, and I realized that Jill's a warm spot in my life that's been empty since Tom died. Her son is also adorable when he wants to be and calls me Auntie [Name]. Jill and I decided to go public with our relationship.

The widow support group lost their goddamn minds, screaming at both of us for dishonoring our husbands' memories, that we're betraying them, and a whole lot of homophobic contents, and they've been blowing up both our social medias. Even most of my non-base friends have told me that they don't approve and that they don't think Tom would. Tom's parents have told me that they don't blame me and are just happy that I was in Tom's life to the end.

I should also note that even before Tom's death, I was not on good terms with the base's wives club and hadn't been for years, and for the last couple of years before Tom died I actively tried to avoid them.

So I come to reddit to ask people who aren't involved to get a less biased opinion: is dating Jill inappropriate?

tl;dr: Military husband died 8 months ago, joined a support group, started dating someone I met in the support group and most of my friends hate me for it, wondering if it was really a good idea.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cythereal posted:

Fine. Here's a wholesome palette cleanser: people dealing with grief in a healthy way while military wives are rear end in a top hat:

This is good, we can all unite against a common foe (the military) :hai:

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Good for them, screw the other widows. It's like that other story from a few pages back of a widow moving on with her life by dating a friend a year after her husband died.

I was not in the military, but my dad was, and believe me, people who primarily identify as military spouses are nuts. I think gip had an informative thread a few years ago.

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 27, 2019

kru
Oct 5, 2003

DemoneeHo posted:

screw the other widows.

thats whats causing the problem

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
AITA for telling my wife to find a place for winter.

quote:

With winter coming up I was talking with my wife about my grandmother. She lives in the middle of nowhere and he health has been declining of the years. So I wanted to bring my grandmother into my home for the winter but only before it is suppose to start snowing ( she has told me she doesn't want to live with us). My grandmother's house wouldn't even be considered habitable by most standards. Large portions of the house the ceiling is falling down and two rooms you can even see outside.

The thing is my wife hates my grandmother with a passion. My grandmother is very opinionated and isn't afraid to speak her mind (which even bothers me sometimes). However, that comes out a lot as "talking poo poo" to my wife. But honestly I believe she doesn't mean to hurt my wives feelings. It will be things like "I don't think marijuana can be medication" and "Don't you ever cook nice dinners?" (My wife usually only makes a main dish.)

So my wife blew up yelling "I don't want that old bitch here!" I admittedly lost my temper and said "I think you need to find someplace to stay if you don't want to be around her because I can't leave my grandmother stranded if the snow gets bad."

My mother (part owner of the house) said I was being an rear end in a top hat even though she agrees with me that we should move my grandmother in with us temporarily. She thinks my wife will come around if we keep trying to talk it out. My wife is a very stubborn person and will never change her mind. AITA?

Edit: I am not kicking my wife out. Only stating my grandmother is coming and if she can't handle it (two or three months) she should find a place to stay.

Edit 2: I guess in order to save my marriage I will let my grandmother die. Thanks for talking sense into me.

Edit 3: I am now a bigger rear end in a top hat for realizing that I was the rear end in a top hat in this situation.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Pinecone Sample posted:

quote:

my home
Not "our home." This guy must be a loving joy to live with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Pinecone Sample posted:

"I'm not kicking her out, I'm just telling her she can't live here."

The wife should welcome this chance to escape.