Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

eXXon posted:

The T stands for Test, you know? How are they supposed to test it before it's pushed to master?

I mean, loading it up in the game and firing the gun even once would probably be enough to go "Hmm, no, this clearly isn't working." It makes you wonder what their loving devs actually do all day.

If I merged something that broken into Master I'd get slapped at the merge request, slapped at the next stand up, and slapped again in an all-points email and every single person would be right to do so. It's not even lazy, it's straight up incompetence at this point.What's worse is that Star Citizen's test servers are the farthest thing from actual user testing. Putting stuff in front of the users should be about going "Okay here is a functional system, try to find holes in it and also tell us if you like how it works." It should never, ever be "Please document all of the basic implementation-level items that are wrong with this feature. We already know what they are, but our workflow said we had to kick it out to you at this date, and gently caress if we're going to miss an internal deadline over little things like the feature not actually functioning."

The second features hit the PTU they are effectively in prod, and they only tend to patch the most broken bugs after that point- stuff that takes the whole server down. Things like the rocket launcher failing to even generate projectiles will not be addressed for months to years. It boggles the mind how this project has limped on for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zushio
May 8, 2008
Doing a survey for Beyond Good & Evil 2 today.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

Sarsapariller posted:

I mean, loading it up in the game and firing the gun even once would probably be enough to go "Hmm, no, this clearly isn't working." It makes you wonder what their loving devs actually do all day.

If I merged something that broken into Master I'd get slapped at the merge request, slapped at the next stand up, and slapped again in an all-points email and every single person would be right to do so. It's not even lazy, it's straight up incompetence at this point.What's worse is that Star Citizen's test servers are the farthest thing from actual user testing. Putting stuff in front of the users should be about going "Okay here is a functional system, try to find holes in it and also tell us if you like how it works." It should never, ever be "Please document all of the basic implementation-level items that are wrong with this feature. We already know what they are, but our workflow said we had to kick it out to you at this date, and gently caress if we're going to miss an internal deadline over little things like the feature not actually functioning."

The second features hit the PTU they are effectively in prod, and they only tend to patch the most broken bugs after that point- stuff that takes the whole server down. Things like the rocket launcher failing to even generate projectiles will not be addressed for months to years. It boggles the mind how this project has limped on for so long.

Aha thats where you're wrong, kiddo. Because its an alpha everything is either dev or staging so its all completely normal and you don't understand development.

Zushio
May 8, 2008
The new trailer should just be this, only with comments about walking up ramps carefully and having a top of the line PC. Along with having enough disposable income to buy a used car every month dedicated to the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMMX_8jHK7Q

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Ok, yeah, you're right, I was wrong, and I agree, Star Citizen is a loving hilarious trainwreck I can't look away from, and that glitzy 'we fixed head bobbing' video almost suckered me.

I've never spent any money on this stupid cultist simulator and I hopefully never will.

No Man's Sky is shaping up to be a drat decent planet explorer / base builder, anyway. Elite Dangerous is a bit too grindy and time consuming for my tastes.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

spreadsheet posted:

Leaks are bad. Stop it
ShapCap

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Star Citizen: And eventually, the ships

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

trucutru posted:

I haven't ever heard of idiots marketing and promoting their feudal lord for free. I'm just saying.

Lots of people did once it became clear that the Lord was blessed by god and challenging him was to challenge the Divine.

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

That's fantastic, there truly is so much to marvel at in that short clip. My particular favourite is the way the front bit of the ship just falls off after a barrage of rockets.

PC gaming is saved, friends.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Croberts please make a starship with big red flames down the side and also that makes me feel loved and successful and removes the sting of the terror of my own mortality.

Fartbox
Apr 27, 2017
What's happening? Dri fu an only two? what is this?
Is this an avatar? I don't know rm dunk

There is a lot to learn from Star Citizen. Mostly how people can cling to something out of desperation for so long and just entrench themselves in their denial-fortress seemingly forever

zebedy
Feb 25, 2006
well?

gently caress me, this excuse again. They've said this exact loving thing non-stop for the last 7 years. It's like some secret mantra or magic spell used by idiot citizens.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

zebedy posted:

gently caress me, this excuse again. They've said this exact loving thing non-stop for the last 7 years. It's like some secret mantra or magic spell used by idiot citizens.

The Tools are the citizenry's Wunderwaffen.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Here is an ascending list of our estimates for total fundraising as of December 1.

Current: $245,862,348 - Thursday, November 28th, 05:45 EST
Average:$255,280,739
Median (full million): $255,000,000

=================================================

$242,199,498 - Aramoro
$242,779,812 - Viscous Soda
$245,150,420 - Taintrunner
$246,473,284 - Beexoffel
$246,512,768 - Spatial
$246,948,655 - TheAgent
$246,948,658 - Sandweed
$247,420,069 - Thoatse
$247,696,969 - Bubbacub
$247,861,935 - Jobbo_Fett
$248,420,069 - Dwesa
$248,424,242 - monkeytek
$248,457,941 - Kosumo
$248,902,021 - Sabreseven
$249,842,042 - The Titanic
$250,000,000 - UnknownTarget
$250,424,242 - Quavers
$251,000,000 - zebedy
$251,227,605 - Zzr
$251,345,678 - Barfolemew
$251,947,069 - Koil
$252,020,240 - Mr.PayDay
$252,080,085 - AutismVaccine
$252,639,488 - DigitalPenny
$253,112,149 - downout
$253,284,764 - skeletors_condom
$253,769,823 - Dragonrah
$254,421,541 - SoMoteItBe
$254,545,454 - Bootcha
$254,603,497 - Peter.Quint
$255,000,000 - Iceclaw
$255,328,603 - jarlywarly
$255,420,069 - Sanya Juutilainen
$255,420,693 - Midnight Voyager
$255,743,119 - precision
$256,789,012 - h3isenbug
$257,024,024 - Hazamuth
$258,000,000 - Inacio
$258,522,420 - Baxta
$258,895,345 - GoingPostal
$260,000,000 - Agony Aunt
$260,000,001 - Blue On Blue
$261,135,996 - Jonny Shiloh
$261,227,605 - 1500
$262,114,501 - Differo Cathedra
$262,424,244 - commando in tophat
$262,426,969 - Dogeh
$263,100,100 - Colostomy Bag
$264,300,000 - Shazback
$264,666,666 - trucutru
$265,000,000 - Ponzi
$265,213,721 - Kikas Sign
$265,227,605 - his nibs
$266,666,666 - Orions Lord
$267,593,481 - Bofast
$267,999,999 - Zazz Razzamatazz
$275,301,250 - Dark Off (@1.1 FX)

spacetoaster 1$
Zaphod42 1m

Note: I might have missed someone or got something wrong. I am not running this, did it just for fun.

Looks like they are doing pretty bad this year. I would expect another $2.5-$3M till December 1st. Or wait, is this contest meant to be till the end of the "anniversary sale" (Dec 5th)?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

zebedy posted:

it's like various cults that predict some kind of apocalypse every year.

I bet some of the SC cultists believe that The Second Life in Space is just around the corner, but they failed their Space Saviour Crobear and the development is too slow only because their faith was too weak and they should've pledged more

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

skeletors_condom posted:

Here is an ascending list of our estimates for total fundraising as of December 1.

Current: $245,862,348 - Thursday, November 28th, 05:45 EST
Average:$255,280,739
Median (full million): $255,000,000

You know, it just dawned on me. I could win this contest by buying a shitload of jpegs.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

zebedy posted:

You must understand. These are early days.
Also, *that* Kazan has the hottest of insider scoops. A direct line to Crobblers mind.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mailer posted:

It'll likely be Q2ish next year. The ship building stuff was done early so they kind of threw it in there. Railjack (or whatever they wind up calling the flyable ship update) was supposed to be late this year but got held back, presumably until working, because DE doesn't understand game development.

I'd be more excited if they weren't pushing multicrew in a game I primarily play alone or with queued randoms, but the demo looked super impressive.

Why wouldnt you play with goons?

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

skeletors_condom posted:

$275,301,250 - Dark Off (@1.1 FX)

Dark Off posted:

249 million euros (250 million euros was already taken)

dunno where you pulled that 275 million figure from.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Why wouldnt you play with goons?

Some people love their pubstove, also there is a goon that play this on the XBOX.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yuck!

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

You must understand. These are early days.
Also, *that* Kazan has the hottest of insider scoops. A direct line to Crobblers mind.

Kazan moment in development.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

What gets me about the Stanton is the test bed for all the systems they need.

Well then you have one super hot planet, a cold planet a dry planet, a wet planet so you could test all those weather and survival systems. I'd want to do two systems to test the transition between them. Make sure I could test a slice of the economy, place to gather, refine, produce goods work out the bedrock of the economy.

Then look at Stanton system and try and find any systemic method to its design. It's just SC lore crobbroled together.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

There might be a term for this.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Haven't finished watching the key notes yet. My god it's the dullest citcon to date.

My favorite moment so far is, we took 2 years to do something that could be done in two months like that's a crowning achievement.

Sounds like game dev is really speeding up !! Time to pledge for realz

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Sandweed posted:

Some people love their pubstove, also there is a goon that play this on the XBOX.

Hey there are at least two of us on bonx :colbert:

I tried out the SC free-fly on my shiny new gaming rig, and I managed 30 minutes before I gave up. I think it took longer than that to install it :negative:

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

DigitalPenny posted:

What gets me about the Stanton is the test bed for all the systems they need.

Well then you have one super hot planet, a cold planet a dry planet, a wet planet so you could test all those weather and survival systems.

Marriage in a nutshell.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Dementropy posted:

quote:

Yes, a large part of the problem here is that CIG sold one thing and is delivering another.

I am shocked, shocked I tell you!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Oh look…

Quavers posted:

It is strongly recommended that players delete their USER folder for the Public client after patching, particularly if you start encountering any odd character graphical issues or crash on loading. The USER folder can be found (in default installations) at C:\Program Files\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizen\PTU.
…still storing user data in a protected application path rather than in the user profile path where it should go.
…still not making deletion of conflicting data a part of the automated patching procedure.
…still having no idea exactly what causes these graphical issues so that the source of the errors can be narrowed down.

quote:

Note: This patch does not contain all of the intended features
Then again, I guess all of that is just part of the standard pattern for CIG patches these days, just like this one. :D

quote:

Increased the speed of most first person animations.
Wait… aren't those supposed to be the exact same thing as the third-person animations? Are they decoupling the two? Are they actually increasing the speed of animations, period? Has Chris been fibbing again?

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

You know, it just dawned on me. I could win this contest by buying a shitload of jpegs.

‘Win’, he says.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Armadillo Tank posted:

Don't talk about the Best drat Space Combat Sim like that. >:(
It is entirely your fault you have bad opinions about orbital maneuvers intensive combat.

I’m a fan, but one of the early phasing tutorials requires you to wait five hours before actually intercepting, and most of them have mission times measured in days.

I-war was great for convincing people that newtonian simulations, per se, weren’t that fun without a bunch of autopilots and cheats.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

‘Win’, he says.

To the victor goes the spoils.

So when I push the funding amount over the target by purchasing a Legatus pack I'll get some $2.99 game from theAgent.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Colostomy Bag posted:

:trustme: what is winning anyway?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Quavers posted:

:trustme: what is winning anyway?

A question Uncle Derek has asked for a couple decades.

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

Dementropy posted:

"it's probably to model a ship if you have to stay as true as possible to the concept art rather than to go with the flow, as you build the model"

loving hell. You know what happens if you do this.

You'll get fired.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

So I updated my Star Citizen and gave it a ahot, it's much much worse than you can imagine.

I forst went into Star Marine to see what that was about, it's a disaster, laggy as gently caress despite having a ping in the low 20's. It feels like you're running through treacle, grenades don't work, you frequently come across guns floating in mid air. The person who won our round had a ping of over 300 which seemed to render him invulnerable.

Went into Star Citizen proper and woke up in Arc Corp, you might think i've getting out the the lift warily, that's because that's my 4th attempt to get out of the lift on the right floor, every other time was wrong. There's no way to know which floor your're on.

https://i.imgur.com/bg6drGq.mp4

Has sound and this reflects my whole time in the game, sound cuts in and out, playing seemingly random audio clips all the time. Lots of things just popping into existence.

After about 10 mins I worked out how to get the tram to the hangers and got in my ship, but then couldn't work out how to open the hanger doors

https://i.imgur.com/jSoq6JR.mp4

time to stop.

Aramoro fucked around with this message at 13:45 on Nov 28, 2019

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Dark Off posted:

dunno where you pulled that 275 million figure from.

249 million euro = 275 million USD, no?

I am not running the contest, just doing it for fun.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Quavers posted:

Known Issues
:trustme: If a player dies in the vicinity of Microtech, the server will crash. Work around: Please avoid Microtech for now.
:trustme: Interacting with the Vanguard series ships causes a crash. Work around: Please do not use these ships.

that's hilarious.

Timespy
Jul 6, 2013

No bond but to do just ones

Finally got around to playing the CoD:IW campaign. Man, that was some neat poo poo, cool space pew pew, memorable characters, good story.
Really looking forward to SQ42 blowing this 3 year old game out of the water!

lol

Timespy fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 28, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

I liked the parts of IW where you turn noclip on and zoom around the map and everyone pretends you're in a space ship.