Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
double posting!

evilmiera posted:

and in this particular game's case, HBS have a deal with Paradox where they have to reach a certain number of DLC sales to see an extra profit beyond a base sum they get paid on completion.

That sounds like a publisher deal, but it wouldn't be a thing anymore after Paradox bought HBS entirely?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

OddObserver posted:

If COIL-L does stack with the pilot skill pip, I am sort of contemplating putting it on a warhammer and seeing if it stacks with the 20% energy bonus.
It'll realistically only get 3 pips, but 3 pips + 20%...

Coil-L gives you 35 damage per pip, so when I tested this with an Assassin, I was getting 140 damage per hit since i was able to get 4 pips while walking.

If you can manage 3 pips on the Warhammer, a Coil-L hit gives you 126 damage per hit. It's not bad, but the 70 heat might force you to stuff heat sinks in at the expense of additional weaponry.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I think an Assassin with the jumpjets stripped out for heat sinks is the best possible COIL-L carrier. Huge engine for evasion pips and the -evasion equipment helps make each shot count.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

LBXs aren't the best things in the world but it's really funny to watch your medium waddle up, the game hitch for a few seconds, then suddenly a Locust is naked

LBX2s have become my go-to ballistic weapon because they have the damage profile of a AC5, but are crit seekers like SRMs, and because they're couple tons lighter they usually give me enough wiggle room fit another large laser which makes for a great combo.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

OddObserver posted:

If COIL-L does stack with the pilot skill pip, I am sort of contemplating putting it on a warhammer and seeing if it stacks with the 20% energy bonus.
It'll realistically only get 3 pips, but 3 pips + 20%...

3 x 120% = 360%
4 x 100% = 400%

Don't waste your time, just slap it on a faster mech.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Klyith posted:

Nope. AC/2 is still a bit sucky but it sucks more for the AI than the player (AC/2 stab++ isn't a bad gun).

AC/2++ stab is really bad. It's basically a standard LRM but worse in every way.

Back Hack posted:

LBX2s have become my go-to ballistic weapon because they have the damage profile of a AC5, but are crit seekers like SRMs, and because they're couple tons lighter they usually give me enough wiggle room fit another large laser which makes for a great combo.

The basic LB 2-X has a damage efficiency of 7.2 which is the highest in the game among non-variant non-support weapons. SRMs are 6~6.2 (depending on ammo::launcher ratio) and MLas are 5.

Conspiratiorist fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Nov 28, 2019

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

mlmp08 posted:

As someone who was away from the game for a long time and is romping around in mediums and encountering heavies now, what are some of the new funs that really shine?

Marauders are amazing, especially if you can get two of the +damage (70 damage) ER PPCs off the black market. It's hot as balls but the Marauder's a headshot machine.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

PoptartsNinja posted:

Marauders are amazing, especially if you can get two of the +damage (70 damage) ER PPCs off the black market. It's hot as balls but the Marauder's a headshot machine.

I have a Gauss+ waiting for a Maraduer to put it in.

Jorgos Nuuh
Dec 28, 2004
Pröööööt
Been playing since the DLC came, still haven't seen opfor Marauder. How rare are they? i want one so I can test it and try a new career. Oh, yeah, still playing in my campaign, seen Archers and Warhammers etc,

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
Copied from reddit:

Googledocs version of One Chart to Rule Them by Honorknight

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

ccubed posted:

Copied from reddit:

Googledocs version of One Chart to Rule Them by Honorknight

Pretty sure the PHawk vectored thrusters stack for a total 20% damage/distance boost.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
Almost all of the lostech weapons in Heavy Metal are absolutely worth it, especially the autocannon. The only weapons that still seem marginal are the ER lasers (and I haven't seen the new pulse lasers to compare their new stats).

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

anakha posted:

Coil-L gives you 35 damage per pip, so when I tested this with an Assassin, I was getting 140 damage per hit since i was able to get 4 pips while walking.

If you can manage 3 pips on the Warhammer, a Coil-L hit gives you 126 damage per hit. It's not bad, but the 70 heat might force you to stuff heat sinks in at the expense of additional weaponry.

Yep. And luckily I also got a -heat Snubby PPC++, so... It can't consistently get 3 pips, though, much like the Phoenix Hawk can't consistently get 4.... but it was beginning to feel a bit flimsy, and the Assassin would be flimsier, still, even if I do wish I went that way the game throws a pesky light in my direction.

Speaking of which, flashpoint campaign, 2 fleas, a locust and a Panther aren't much of a hunter-killer lance even if FLE-4's are impressively armed for their mass.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Coil are going to be absolute murder when ttmovement gets updated. Being able to sprint and then fire is going to be insane. How much damage is 6 pips on a coilL?

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
I am kind of falling in love with the Vulcan, to be honest. The CQC Suite makes support weapons a lot more viable as something other than just extra damage to tack onto a melee attack, and every Support Weapon setup is viable in its own way. Small lasers is TONS of damage for its weight, Machine Guns are fantastic crit seekers for when you have punched holes in things, and the ever popular Flamers are excellent at neutering a 'Mech. Just doubling the range of my Support weapons is fantastic.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Once you get black market access it seems that you can buy Atlas II parts surprisingly cheaply (the black market I visited had six of them for sale?) and an Atlas II has a ludicrous quantity of free tonnage.

I loaded up mine with a Gauss Rifle, four large lasers and dual SRM-6 along with a few double heat sinks and lots of regular ones, it just walks forwards and deletes a mech most rounds, whilst most of my missions are still 2.5 skulls. Very much recommended.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Thinking about it what I'd want from a sequel is more in-depth FP campaigns/planetary mini-campaigns, but with the idea being you're using the Argo fully; ie, simultaneously deployments. It'd help solve the issue of having four-six pilots out of 20 who actually matter, and give you more to play around with. Maybe have a lance needing to go here with this biome, another lance here in another with another objective, then at the campaign's end they meet up and you control eight mechs (if you had them all survive and didn't play like poo poo) at once. Choose which places to deploy to and which missions on the planet not to do, really focus more on the fact that you're the commander and not the lance itself.

You could even do things like you can't leave until you're done or abandon the campaign, but it progresses over time, so you can't just wait until things are repaired; the next op is in seven days, two mechs are damaged, six days repair time each,, figure out what you can live with and move on, or see if you can't put another one in instead.

e: lol I did a second Training Day and one guy's like OORAH let's kill those maggots Oscar Mike and Sumire's like "what the hell who talks like that"

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 28, 2019

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I can't figure out how to fix a Phoenix Hawk PHX-1. I guess 3 MLasers seem to have performed the best but it's so boring!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
3 ML, 2 SL, max armor, don't touch the JJs and use the remaining space for HS so you can jump and fire every turn.

That or get some COIL weapons and ditch the JJs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Ditch the JJ’s, up the armor, dual LLs. Sprinkle with HS.

I’d you can use coils-m’s instead but that will work until you get some.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I managed to get a Coil-M but it's a tight fit on there for not a lot of damage so far. I guess those JJs do use a bunch of space, I hadn't really thought about removing them since that's the gimmick it came with.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I'm actually not a fan of
Coils on the PHawk specifically because of that reason. That's why I suggested the first build I did. Probably fill it out with a hit protection gyro and a Energy accuracy TTS.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Phoenix Hawk just sucks, sell it if you can

Also god drat it I'm doing 3-4 star missions now and STILL fighting half-armored lights. Stupid MRB :v:

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

The Phoenix Hawk just sucks, sell it if you can

I have found a niche for it, cheesing missions where you have to destroy bases. Load it with two large lasers and with a couple of phoenix hawks you can basically perform a drive by on the buildings before zooming off to extraction. The defenders do not really get any say about this so this can be a way to print cash at minimum risk and minimum time investment.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

Space Skeleton posted:

I can't figure out how to fix a Phoenix Hawk PHX-1. I guess 3 MLasers seem to have performed the best but it's so boring!

Snub PPC with Breaching Shot. Do a min distance jump (11 heat) to activate the 20% damage bonus. Adding 2 additional JJs alongside the VTKs gives you the equivalent jump distance of a 5 JJ 55 tonner, which is alright when you need to get around. Rest is armor and heatsinks.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Do you guys think I got enough Panther salvage? Cause I'm not sure if I got enough Panther salvage.

Also not seen on screen, an entire intact Jenner that I got after my Shadow Hawk and Wolverine bullied it in melee.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Where do Gauss rifles fit in with the new heavy metal weapons? There a 4 million credit ++ one on the market that, sure I’m going to buy it, but with UACs I’m not sure how it compares.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

My extremely early opinion on the Heavy Metal ACs is that they fit more specific niches, while the Gauss is still probably the best general-purpose ballistic weapon, especially the + and ++ versions that free up more weight/space to put other stuff in.

My Gauss++ - toting Marauder with a Tactics-9 pilot regularly claims 2-3 headless Mechs per misson.

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
Got the Raven. I hated doing those missions to earn it, they were rated low but due to the people you got stuck with or the lower deployment limit it wasn't exactly easy as you might have expected. Lots of vehicles can be death to a light lance.

The last mission was such a pain since you got stuck with three pilots and their skills were pretty drat poor.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

KDdidit posted:

Where do Gauss rifles fit in with the new heavy metal weapons? There a 4 million credit ++ one on the market that, sure I’m going to buy it, but with UACs I’m not sure how it compares.

Worse than all of them except the UAC/2.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
you can fit 2 gauss rifles, 2 ammo and 4 jumpjets in a marauder without sacrificing all the armor. Its pretty amazing critting through armor and being somewhat mobile

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

KDdidit posted:

Gauss rifles always do structure damage on hits now regardless of armor, so they are exceptionally good at causing ammo explosions and killing pilots. UACs are also very good and usually do a lot more raw damage but they are less precise and generate much more recoil.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I've got a weird issue. I launched a battle mission only to have an allied lance drop in alongside mine. Part of the mission is to ensure they extract successfully. I've killed off every enemy and been all over the map and the evac point is still not indicated. My allies are just kind of milling around a hill and doing nothing. Is there anything I can do? I'm not running any mods.

I headcapped an annihilator in this mission, I'd really rather not give that up. :ohdear:

Safety Factor fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Nov 29, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The game is just insistent on not showing me heavy mechs to shoot but I've seen a couple different Riflemen now; are they pretty much Blackjacks if they were good? They look like it.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

Safety Factor posted:

I've got a weird issue. I launched a battle mission only to have an allied lance drop in alongside mine. Part of the mission is to ensure they extract successfully. I've killed off every enemy and been all over the map and the evac point is still not indicated. My allies are just kind of milling around a hill and doing nothing. Is there anything I can do? I'm not running any mods.

I headcapped an annihilator in this mission, I'd really rather not give that up. :ohdear:

Save and quit, enable debug menu, reload. Either the game unfucks itself or you bring up the debug menu and complete the mission

Edit: if youre iron man rip you

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

The game is just insistent on not showing me heavy mechs to shoot but I've seen a couple different Riflemen now; are they pretty much Blackjacks if they were good? They look like it.

As far as I can tell it just a Jagermech that’s missing 5 ton.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Rifleman comes with the Rangefinder Suite which is supposed to give it the highest max range of any mech

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

It's +100m view distance, not weapons range.

Far more useful is the -2 reduction in weapons refire and long range penalties.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Best thing about heavy metal is 1. marauders with the -10% dmg and 2. the ++ items with -tonnage

holy poo poo that is such a big thing

now if only i could find all the things i want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Stravag posted:

Save and quit, enable debug menu, reload. Either the game unfucks itself or you bring up the debug menu and complete the mission

Edit: if youre iron man rip you
I looked up how to enable debug mode and fixed it, thanks. I had been trying to look up console commands or something similar, but nothing I saw had pointed that way. Didn't even realize you had to enable it yourself.

I went into that mission without reading the description and didn't realize it was a pirate/comstar joint operation. :wtc: I stupidly took for 2/11 on salvage without thinking about it so now I've got 2/3 of an annihilator. I'm still in mediums so it's not a big deal, but that was still a crazy find.