Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Antiquated Pants posted:

It's far easier to believe that he's Darth Plagueis and used his power over life and death to kill Padme in order to manipulate Darth Vader, rather than the nonsense that DV stole Padme's life essence like that other goon wants us all to think.

Padme died because that alien nurse robot didnt wash its hands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Palpatine actually did die, but as a force ghost he went down to the forest moon of Emdor and possessed the fetus of Kylo Ren and then just laid low for a few decades. That's why Kylo's actions are so inexplicable, sometimes he's controlled by a force ghost.

Space Ghost, host to host

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

angryrobots posted:

Space Ghost, host to host

Aqua Sheev Hunger Force

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Rutibex posted:

Padme died because that alien nurse robot didnt wash its hands

ooo bahhh.
ooo bahhh.

Dilkington
Aug 6, 2010

"Al mio amore Dilkington, Gennaro"

Randarkman posted:

Lucas really tried with Phantom Menace and exhausted himself with it, then it turned out the movie was a terrible, incoherent mess (seriously watch the behind the scenes documentary about Phantom Menace, it's disturbingly honest, especially the stuff when Lucas is talking to the editor and others after an early screening) and critics and many others decried it as a terrible movie. I think this really disheartened Lucas.

But it made alot of money, so they really had to continue doing them and Lucas was probably too proud to get someone else to do them (unlike ANH he couldn't hand it off on a positive note from a writing/directorial standpoint), but he was also disheartened and tired from the whole thing so he phoned in the next two on a soundstage with a green screen and with the last one he remembered it had to tie in with ANH so he played connect the dots with plot points when writing the script.

This is 100% what happened.

We looked at the prequels in a film class- mostly the economics of those films and how Luca's personal frustrations influenced the studios' push for digital projection. But the films are technically interesting in their own right.

Episode 2 was one of the first films shot 100% digitally. It is appallingly ugly. Low dynamic range (look at the scene where Dooku has Kenobi suspended in that room), low resolution, and poor color rendition: digital cinematography was so primitive back in 2002:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OMwH3yDJ3w

Lucas knows how terrible those movies look. I bet more than anything he would love to remaster them- I imagine he can't because the custom Cinealtas he shot them on captured a lot less data than a 35mm negative. So now and forever we will have Christopher Lee floating across backgrounds that looked worse than the hammer horror sets. I can't say I hate it though- I can't watch any of the scenes on Geonosis without giddy joy from how grotesque they are:

A great thing to show film students is this pair of shots at 1:54:40 and 1:54:57.

Look at how the angular size and orientation of the digital matte c3po/battle droid stays the same relative to the frame while the background changes. George, for our $100 million movie, shouldn't we create a second matte, or maybe not move the camera? I mean, in 1982 the Bladerunner guys built a motion control rig for every one of those city shots- "no gently caress it"

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Big Beef City posted:

If they still have THIS available to them why didn't they USE it to crush the resistance when they could have?

My guess is that is Sheev's fleet and he isn't the First Order and probably spent 30 years building ships and smoking mids and lol'ing at Snoke.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

i trained him wrong to build a fake decoy empire, as a joke.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Smartest would be to lean hard into Snoke being Plagius, all upset that his upstart apprentice hosed him over, and building Empire 2 to go gently caress up Sheev.

Still a goofy plot, but it would make more sense than whatever Disney is inevitably planning.

The Breakfast Sampler
Jan 1, 2006

probably time to let Star Wars just go. I guess I gotta write WALL-E fanfics from now on.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Little did they know Darth Plageuis killed his master Darth Bubonicus the Wonderful

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

So like, the New EU goes out of its way to talk about how Leia and Poe's mom are like, really close friends. So you figure, ya know, Poe and Big Ben would have grown up together, maybe, or at least know each other somewhat? Like, maybe a relationship there to add depth to the characters and make us give a gently caress?

Nah, just leave that poo poo in the novels no one loving reads. Why put that in the movies.

I mean, nothing new, Anakin and Obi-Wan's relationship growth is entirely in comics, books and a TV show. Proud tradition.

Xaintrailles
Aug 14, 2015

:hellyeah::histdowns:

KiteAuraan posted:

My guess is that is Sheev's fleet and he isn't the First Order and probably spent 30 years building ships and smoking mids and lol'ing at Snoke.

You can smoke midichlorians now?
:weed:

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

KiteAuraan posted:

So like, the New EU goes out of its way to talk about how Leia and Poe's mom are like, really close friends. So you figure, ya know, Poe and Big Ben would have grown up together, maybe, or at least know each other somewhat? Like, maybe a relationship there to add depth to the characters and make us give a gently caress?

Nah, just leave that poo poo in the novels no one loving reads. Why put that in the movies.

People would just complain about that if they put it in

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Xaintrailles posted:

You can smoke midichlorians now?
:weed:

Well, those you have to shoot up, but you can smoke them in their opium form.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Toxic Mental posted:

Little did they know Darth Plageuis killed his master Darth Bubonicus the Wonderful

Uh that's Darth Boobonicus the Plentiful, god it's like you never read your eu!

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Colonel Cancer posted:

Uh that's Darth Boobonicus the Plentiful, god it's like you never read your eu!

Darth BIGASSLATINATEENCHASEDBYLESBIANLOVINGTREXONHOVERBOARDTHENFUCKED isn't my favorite part of the EU, but that character is dear to my heart.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The Rise of Skywalker will inexplicably introduce Tom Bombadil.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Dilkington posted:

We looked at the prequels in a film class- mostly the economics of those films and how Luca's personal frustrations influenced the studios' push for digital projection. But the films are technically interesting in their own right.

Episode 2 was one of the first films shot 100% digitally. It is appallingly ugly. Low dynamic range (look at the scene where Dooku has Kenobi suspended in that room), low resolution, and poor color rendition: digital cinematography was so primitive back in 2002:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9OMwH3yDJ3w

Lucas knows how terrible those movies look. I bet more than anything he would love to remaster them- I imagine he can't because the custom Cinealtas he shot them on captured a lot less data than a 35mm negative. So now and forever we will have Christopher Lee floating across backgrounds that looked worse than the hammer horror sets. I can't say I hate it though- I can't watch any of the scenes on Geonosis without giddy joy from how grotesque they are:

A great thing to show film students is this pair of shots at 1:54:40 and 1:54:57.

Look at how the angular size and orientation of the digital matte c3po/battle droid stays the same relative to the frame while the background changes. George, for our $100 million movie, shouldn't we create a second matte, or maybe not move the camera? I mean, in 1982 the Bladerunner guys built a motion control rig for every one of those city shots- "no gently caress it"

I cannot stress enough about how no one at all gives a poo poo about any of this at all, and how insufferable it is, let alone applied to star wars. Please crawl in a hole some where

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

and that is coming from a star wars thread poster who's probably already a nerd.
Just. gently caress off with that poo poo.

Beef Hardcheese
Jan 21, 2003

HOW ABOUT I LASH YOUR SHIT

Colonel Cancer posted:

Woah dude and then the camera zooms out and the whole galaxy is the emperor, deathstars his balls

Emperor P is stored in the balls

Univira
Aug 8, 2004

I thought it was a good post :shrug:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Big Beef City posted:

and that is coming from a star wars thread poster who's probably already a nerd.
Just. gently caress off with that poo poo.

it was a good post, go take your meds

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The council will allow any and all shitposts in this thread.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Big Beef City posted:

I cannot stress enough about how no one at all gives a poo poo about any of this at all, and how insufferable it is, let alone applied to star wars. Please crawl in a hole some where

I cannot understand how you keep getting drunk mad over the silliest things in this here Star Wars thread, its worse than nerdy.

Besides its a good post

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Zzulu posted:

The council will allow any and all shitposts in this thread.

But we do not assign it a vote of five

poisonpill fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Nov 30, 2019

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I would legit like hearing more about how Lucas's pursuit of pushing the digital envelope resulted in severely limited films, actually.

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

mfw I find the only non-retarded post in 124 pages and throw a tantrum about it.

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Big Beef City posted:

it was an interesting tidbit on a piece of cinematography i wouldn't have noticed before :frogout:

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Big Beef City posted:

Please keep all prequel defense posts in the designated prequel defense zone (cinema discusso)

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

No Mods No Masters posted:

Please keep all prequel defense posts in the designated prequel defense zone (cinema discusso)

The post he was quoting was absolutely not defending the prequels though.

That might not be what you're even saying.

Big Beef City is a boring idiot who should take a break.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
Please post unironic ST goon defence here tia

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

I would legit like hearing more about how Lucas's pursuit of pushing the digital envelope resulted in severely limited films, actually.

Right, the prequels are sooo lovely looking and I'd appreciate a professional deep dive into how and why it came to look so bad.

I mean, this is how:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdE0kzbUTr8

But I appreciate the picky examples from a trained eye

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

No Mods No Masters posted:

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Actually film critics are giant nerds

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
I originally read this quote on SA years ago, but

A Star Trek fan is someone who loves Gene Roddenberry; a Star Wars fan is someone who hates George Lucas.

also, I like reading the technical film stuff

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Nobody loves Roddenberry at this point, that motherfucker was FAR crazier and more incompetent than Lucas ever was

Lucas did not ever call up one of his co-writers to say “my idea of pleasure is waves and waves of cum exploding out of me” in a fake Irish accent so he’s got that going for him at least

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
I'm trying to imagine Lucas telling his assistant that you can go front to back but never back to front and it's a hell of a thing.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

dudeness posted:

I'm trying to imagine Lucas telling his assistant that you can go front to back but never back to front and it's a hell of a thing.

Have you heard the story of Darth Icky...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

skasion posted:

Lucas did not ever call up one of his co-writers to say “my idea of pleasure is waves and waves of cum exploding out of me” in a fake Irish accent so he’s got that going for him at least

is this supposed to be a strike against Gene Roddenberry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Kazak posted:

I cannot understand how you keep getting drunk mad over the silliest things in this here Star Wars thread, its worse than nerdy.

Besides its a good post

As a film student
If the droid sequence was filmed with a 45mm Kazakam the individual dust grains would have been so more detailed.
Thuswise therefore