Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (May 13, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 13, 1998)

Garfield Classic (May 13, 1988)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
Sad Bear

Bokujou Shibori presents: the Nekonaughey Show

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Arlo and Janis Classic (May 13, 1998)

Gene's a good boy.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

Dogs of C-Kennel

Ok, so first of all, this decodes to nothing. Which is disappointing, given how trivially easy it is to encode/decode binary.

Secondly, Millenials wouldn't use binary. This joke would maybe work if the blue dog was using emoji.

So my reaction to this comic is this:

👌 👴

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Samovar posted:

Gene's a good boy.

I like to think that it's Gene Ween's origin story. Arlo and Janis eat handfuls of mushrooms and go see their kid's band when they're in town. The song "Gots Me a Weasel" was one that Janis used to sing to him as an infant. Arlo actually wrote "Waving My Dick in the Wind," but declined a songwriting credit.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Genuinely not quite sure if that's an incredibly progressive for the 30s look-how-far-we've-come or just the 30s version of that current Pros & Cons arc.

I'm pretty sure it's the latter: in Days of Yore, husbands and wives settled their differences with their fists (and plates, and rolling pins), before being ritually humiliated in front of the town, but Today they just run off and cry to a lawyer.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

asecondduck posted:

This joke would maybe work if the blue dog was using emoji.

The only people who I know that type in emoji are brand twitters and old politicians trying to be relevant.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Old School Peanuts (Apr 16, 1951)

I know what you're thinking and no, this isn't ~that~ bird.

Calvin and Hobbes (Oct 7-8, 1986)

Robbie and Bobby (Oct 20-21, 2014)

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Boyce just created the perfect E/N gang tag

Pentaro
May 5, 2013

Garfield Classic (May 13, 1988)

Everyone always quotes Jon drinking dog semen, but no-one ever mentions Garfield emitting infrared signals thru his rear end in a top hat.

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

This kind of underlines a thing that bothers me about these "kid wakes up parents with zany question at night" strips. For a small child, that's a perfectly valid question. Mom and dad's response isn't "ask me in the morning," it's "I don't know, go ask someone else." The joke is "why are you bothering me," not "lol what a silly, zany question."

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Also not an edit, but less surprising to me than Luann.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Recap: They hiked some more and now they are setting up camp...but now it's a little chillier!

Mary Worth

I was thinking the classic sign of menopause is hot flashes, which makes me believe Iris may indeed still be pregnant. I want to believe Iris is pregnant. I need this, Moy and Brigman.

The Phantom

Pooch Cafe

:lol:

Rex Morgan MD

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Pentaro posted:

Everyone always quotes Jon drinking dog semen, but no-one ever mentions Garfield emitting infrared signals thru his rear end in a top hat.

It's the 80's, it's entirely possible that's a physical "clicker" remote that used sound to change the channel. We had one when I was growing up. Sometimes, if you clapped just right, you could change the channel that way too. It was a fun trick, but it also meant that loud ambient noises could activate it as well.

"Because your precious God has a cruel sense of humor, you little poo poo."

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
My Dad is Dracula

Pickles

Zits

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Family Circus, Rose is Rose, One Big Happy and Foob is just one big wall of "holy gently caress, is having children a miserable experience"

Awww, it's always nice to be reminded that Hagar and Helga do love one another so much. :3:

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Heart

Docks

Zip

Rip

Dick

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Surgeon's Tales

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

quote:

Dustin

gently caress YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jan 24, 2020

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Archyduchess posted:

As an English professor I don't know how in the world hack comedy writers got the idea that that would ever work.

Right? Clearly the answer is to have 2-inch margins.

ryde
Sep 9, 2011

God I love young girls
Quite a lot of my classes prescribed a font size, double spacing and margins.

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus 2

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

readingatwork posted:

Right? Clearly the answer is to have 2-inch margins.

Also Verdana instead of Arial or Times New Roman.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Thank you for having the same brain as me

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2016 Spiderman

1977 Spiderman

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

RoboRodent
Sep 19, 2012

No, no. If you're farting around with fonts for your essay, you go with Times Newer Roman. Does not work for electronic submissions, but I have, in fact, used it in a pinch and got away with it.

Source: am an English major.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

RoboRodent posted:

No, no. If you're farting around with fonts for your essay, you go with Times Newer Roman. Does not work for electronic submissions, but I have, in fact, used it in a pinch and got away with it.

Source: am an English major.

Pffft, all the cool English majors use Wingdings exclusively.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Here's my English Major Top Tip: Word/Page counts are Straight. Boolshit. As long as you can make a compelling argument and articulate your points, you'll get docked like half a grade at the worst. "Oh no, I only got an A- because I came in a page short, a bloo bloo bloo, my future is ruined."

Here's my Top Tip for Steve Kelley: Fall in a well.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

Pffft, all the cool English majors use Wingdings exclusively.

I had a student this semester who wrote excellent stuff and was a pleasure to have in class but she wrote all her papers in Comic Sans purely to flex. I allowed it because frankly as a power move it scared me into submission.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boyce just created the perfect E/N gang tag

You have the power, small pastry. As long as I get one for bringing/inflicting Compu-Toon on these here forums. :v:

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Kennel posted:

Also Verdana instead of Arial or Times New Roman.

Pfffft your English paper foo is weak like a little baby. Observe:

*adjusts kerning*

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

BC

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Archyduchess posted:

I had a student this semester who wrote excellent stuff and was a pleasure to have in class but she wrote all her papers in Comic Sans purely to flex. I allowed it because frankly as a power move it scared me into submission.

:murder:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

I was thinking the classic sign of menopause is hot flashes, which makes me believe Iris may indeed still be pregnant. I want to believe Iris is pregnant. I need this, Moy and Brigman.
They were really blatant with the whole "Doctor didn't actually do any tests" thing. It's probably pregnancy but it 100% is not menopause.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Archyduchess posted:

Comic Sans is one of the few fonts that's easier for people with dyslexia to read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

In an early update of Corto Maltese: Clem is a heavy sleeper, or Hey boys... We've found the face model for Mystery of the Druids!, or EXPLOSION!