Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Smirking_Serpent posted:

AITA for not lending my jacket to my girlfriend on a cold night?

Oh suck it up and perform masculinity better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Patrick Spens posted:

Bullshit. Once or twice, oh that's cute, here's my jacket. All the fuckin time and she needs to learn how to be responsible.

quote:

Well, drat, Jackie, I can't control the weather!

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Lucrece posted:

AITA for telling my wife our kids will not celebrate Christmas

lol this dude needs to visit a Muslim country around Christmas, he will be in for quite the surprise.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

CharlestheHammer posted:

Nah saying we already lost is just a way to rationalize why you don’t have to do anything

My favorite genre of defeatist posts are fat single 40 something computer touchers talking about how they're refusing to reproduce and bring life into a harsh world. All those kids they would otherwise be having.

Patrick Spens posted:

lol gently caress off

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
If you're old enough to be going out drinking you're old enough to bring your own drat coat.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Malachite_Dragon posted:

If you're old enough to be going out drinking you're old enough to get so drunk you won't feel the cold.

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

DrBouvenstein posted:

Hypochondriac boyfriends reminds me of the germaphobe wife story from a year or so back.

Guy says that she takes multiple showers a day, made HIM take multiple a day, dishes washed in an exact way or they all have to be re-done, laundry had VERY exact rules, like, if anything touches a floor, has to be rewashed. Multiple changes of clothes a day because something touched them (for her AND the husband and THEIR KIDS. Yes, they have young, MESSY, kids.)

The OP said is life is basically nothing but showers, laundry, and cleaning.

Anyone have a link to that and know if there was an update?

Obviously the posts were all "get her to some loving therapy and a doctor to probably get meds" and I think he said she was but, like all cases like this, it was doing nothing.

Edit: Found the original post:

My wife (30F) suffers from extreme germophobia and anxiety. I (30M) take as many as 30 showers a week to ease her fear of infection. Our relationship is not sustainable and I need help.

Edit: Oh jesus, his update was bad...he said he forced her into out patient therapy, she agreed but went like once, then threatened suicide and he had to have her committed to in patient therapy...that was 5 months ago, nothing since then :(

oh god I didn't remember that one until you posted it...what a sad story

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

no like it's really too late to stop climate change, this is it boys

It's not a single threshold, where we either have an apocalypse or don't. There's a long, long scale of how badly life is disrupted, how many people die, what kinds of societies are left standing. Every step along that scale matters immensely. There's no point where giving up makes sense, even if perfectly saving everything is no longer possible.

We absolutely needed to massively curtail emissions decades ago (on a scale that hits large international businesses with laws, not penny-pinching consumer-level poo poo), but it's still better to do so two years from now than it is to not do it at all. Every year of inaction, things get worse for the future of humanity, and they can keep getting even worse.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
Ashley Madison extortion

quote:

I am one of the people whose data was stolen and published in the Ashley Madison hack. The other day I got a text message saying that someone had reported me to a website of “known cheaters”. There was a link, which led to a profile page with my name and a photo, and headline that said “[my name] cheated on his wife”. They also listed my phone number, two phone numbers for my wife (which were out of date), and a link to my wife’s Facebook page. It said that on Nov 28, the “evidence” would be texted to my wife. There was also a button to press if you were the wife, and wanted to get the evidence. Now that Nov 28 has past, the texting threat has been taken down, but the site is still up. There was a link explaining what to do if you wanted legal help getting the post taken down. There were two “reputation restoring” providers listed. The site explained they ONLY worked with these two providers. I assume the whole point is to extract my money. Overall there were something like 300 similar profiles of other people on the website. (I don’t know for sure that this is Ashley-Madison-hack-related, but the picture they posted looks like it was from that era, and probably one that I posted to the site, so that is my strong suspicion.) I am not worried about my wife finding out anything. She knows everything, and it’s history now. And frankly it doesn’t seem likely that anyone I know will stumble on it. Doesn’t show up when I google my name. But... I really do not like having this info on a public website, especially with a link to my wife’s Facebook. I have have no intention of giving these people my money. But is there any hope in reporting the website to someone and getting it taken down? Or is the threat of legal action plausibly useful? I would prefer not to hire an attorney, but I will consider doing so if it might help.

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420
My (37m) wife (32f) started watching basketball and it makes me irrationally upset

quote:

My wife and I met as coworkers over a decade ago. We quickly discovered we were huge nerds for a bunch of the same things, fell in love, and just celebrated our ninth wedding anniversary. We are both from mixed ethnic backgrounds, hers being African American and East Asian and mine being West Asian and North African, and never really identified with our ethnicities’ mainstream culture and this was something else we bonded over.

About two years ago my wife added ESPN to our cable plan. I was surprised because she had never mentioned liking sports in the time I had known her. I asked her and she said that she was excited to start following our local basketball team, that they were doing well.

In short order I learned that she was actually very knowledgeable about basketball, knew all the names of the players and knew them by sight, etc.

It raised complicated feelings for me. I trust my wife implicitly and have no doubts about her fidelity, but most of my formative relationships weren’t like that and I know it left a serious impression on me. I feel like a lot of it came from how blindsided I felt learning of her interest, but in fairness, she knew I didn’t like sports so why would she have mentioned it?

At first I felt fairly strong jealousy, but now it just gives way to depression. I think the way it feels to me - and I know it’s different, although I don’t really know how or why - it feels how I think she might feel if I was suddenly really interested in women’s volleyball. And really focused on the players. And watched them play, commenting animatedly.

I think there are a lot of factors in what I’m feeling. I have discussed my feelings with my wife. She insisted that her interest in the game was not anything other than appreciation and enjoyment of athleticism and I have no reason not to believe it. She also cited it as an African American thing, and I acknowledge that I know nothing about that experience, but it seemed out of character - but she was probably feeling defensive. I still feel irrationally sad about it. I know there’s nothing to feel bad about but it still really bothers me.

tl;dr My wife started watching basketball seemingly out of nowhere and it makes me really sad even though it shouldn’t. How can I work through these feelings? Are they as unjustifiable as they feel?

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Pinecone Sample posted:

My (37m) wife (32f) started watching basketball and it makes me irrationally upset

West Asian and North African is like the same thing dude.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ditocoaf posted:

It's not a single threshold, where we either have an apocalypse or don't. There's a long, long scale of how badly life is disrupted, how many people die, what kinds of societies are left standing. Every step along that scale matters immensely. There's no point where giving up makes sense, even if perfectly saving everything is no longer possible.

We absolutely needed to massively curtail emissions decades ago (on a scale that hits large international businesses with laws, not penny-pinching consumer-level poo poo), but it's still better to do so two years from now than it is to not do it at all. Every year of inaction, things get worse for the future of humanity, and they can keep getting even worse.
While this is true, in 2016 I passed the despair threshold about humans. Nothing will be done in two years time. Nothing will be done in ten years time. Something might be done in twenty years time, once the crisis starts personally affecting rich people.
My personal plan is to die in a water riot around 2052.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Grape posted:

So West Asia stops at the Atlantic?

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
I finally caught up! And all I can say is the motherfucker that said “tubby” 10 times in his stupid rear end story needs to get hit by a bus.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Can I have a "clothing optional" dress code for a non-naturalist related business? (NJ)
u/Past-Supermarket1d

quote:

I'm getting into a small business with some people I know and trust. We won't work with food services, food, or with the general public. we're renting an office which will be private, I.E. only employees will ever be in the office. The office is not in a naturalist resort space, it is in the city.

Here's the thing though - All the people currently involved are practicing naturalists where applicable (we regularly visit a naturalist resort). Some of the ladies discussed nudity in the office. We're all pretty much open to the idea of people working around the office either full birthday suit or just underpants, but we do need to hire a receptionist to receive packages and handle phone calls.

Is it legal to have a clothing-optional dress code in a place of business, and is it legal to only hire employees who will be accepting of that dress code (even if they themselves work clothed)? If we do hire someone who decides they feel uncomfortable with nature, is it legal to let them go?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I sincerely wish this person well.

Title: Vow of Silence for religious and emotional reasons (trauma)

Original Post:

quote:

Hello and the and you for your time. I apologize for the oddity of the post.

Due to very recent trauma, which I will not speak of in detail here, I have ultimately decided to take a Monastic Vow of Silence.

My question is, is there any legal precedent that will protect or assist me as a job seeker so I can maintain my Vow for the intended length of time? Five years is the time.

Thank you again for your time.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Pirate Radar posted:

Can I have a "clothing optional" dress code for a non-naturalist related business? (NJ)
u/Past-Supermarket1d

I 100% don't believe that story, but I'm also sincerely curious what the legal answer to that would be. I lived in a coop during college that was clothing optional Honestly, even though we all knew about the policy and bragged about it (because it sounded cool), the only time it ever came up was when this guy decided he was going to see how long he could go around just being naked (he lasted about a week before he decided it was too weird).

Pirate Radar posted:

I sincerely wish this person well.

Title: Vow of Silence for religious and emotional reasons (trauma)

Original Post:

There's a reason it is called a "monastic" vow. It's not really something you can do while also living an otherwise-normal life. Go find/make a monastery or try something else...

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

spacetoaster posted:

Thank you for your service, brother.

It’s tough at times but it’s a sacrifice I am more than willing to make. :hai:

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I just noticed my new text. Bravo to whoever did that, because it totally flew under the radar with the avatar staying the same.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grape posted:

Farg
Nov 19, 2013

The Lone Badger posted:

While this is true, in 2016 I passed the despair threshold about humans. Nothing will be done in two years time. Nothing will be done in ten years time. Something might be done in twenty years time, once the crisis starts personally affecting rich people.
My personal plan is to die in a water riot around 2052.

just go lay down and wait for it, sparing the rest of us from your lame defeatism, you friggin cuck-a-doodle-dweeb

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Pinecone Sample posted:

I'm sorry my eyes keep sliding off the screen please tell me everyone is calling him a moron

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life

LanceHunter posted:

I 100% don't believe that story, but I'm also sincerely curious what the legal answer to that would be. I lived in a coop during college that was clothing optional Honestly, even though we all knew about the policy and bragged about it (because it sounded cool), the only time it ever came up was when this guy decided he was going to see how long he could go around just being naked (he lasted about a week before he decided it was too weird).

There's a reason it is called a "monastic" vow. It's not really something you can do while also living an otherwise-normal life. Go find/make a monastery or try something else...

Pretty sure forcing an employee to be naked or to see you naked when it isn't a requirement for the job function is the easiest sexual harassment case ever conceived.

The vow of silence person MAY have some rights if they can find a job that doesn't require speaking if it's for religious reasons? But i doubt it.

lol if you
Jun 29, 2004

I am going to remove your penis, in thin slices, like salami, just for starters.

welcome to hell posted:

Help. I don't recognize my (31m) fiancee (29f) after deployment

for those who didn't google, SGB treatment involves injecting a local anaesthetic into a cluster of nerves in your spine which then block (among other things) adrenaline production caused by fear signals originating in the amygdala

it was invented in 1925 and, imo, sounds about as ethical as lobotomization. it's a significant enough medical procedure, in an especially fragile part of your body, such that physicians are strongly advised to have intubation and resuscitation equipment on hand during administration.

clinical studies do show some real results when treating patients diagnosed with severe anxiety and PTSD. this does not make it ethical to use as a "no fear" drug to be administered before sending already mentally ill people back into battle/EMT service/abusive homes/etc etc etc.

those same clinical studies also show that it has about the same success rate as opiates, but opiates don't have the whole "accidentally puncture your carotid artery and/or collapse your esophagus" potential.

also, we know that the amygdala does play a role in visual processing, especially facial recognition. studies have shown that people's ability to recognize pictures of animal faces exhibiting threatening or non-threatening visual cues are skewed in the test group beyond what is demonstrated in the control group. ECG mapping seems to indicate that the amygdala, like most of the brain, uses a hemispherical anatomy where one side processes "scary" faces and one side processes "not scary" faces.

that dude could very well be hosed for life :smith:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

lol if you posted:

for those who didn't google, SGB treatment involves injecting a local anaesthetic into a cluster of nerves in your spine which then block (among other things) adrenaline production caused by fear signals originating in the amygdala

it was invented in 1925 and, imo, sounds about as ethical as lobotomization. it's a significant enough medical procedure, in an especially fragile part of your body, such that physicians are strongly advised to have intubation and resuscitation equipment on hand during administration.

clinical studies do show some real results when treating patients diagnosed with severe anxiety and PTSD. this does not make it ethical to use as a "no fear" drug to be administered before sending already mentally ill people back into battle/EMT service/abusive homes/etc etc etc.

those same clinical studies also show that it has about the same success rate as opiates, but opiates don't have the whole "accidentally puncture your carotid artery and/or collapse your esophagus" potential.

also, we know that the amygdala does play a role in visual processing, especially facial recognition. studies have shown that people's ability to recognize pictures of animal faces exhibiting threatening or non-threatening visual cues are skewed in the test group beyond what is demonstrated in the control group. ECG mapping seems to indicate that the amygdala, like most of the brain, uses a hemispherical anatomy where one side processes "scary" faces and one side processes "not scary" faces.

that dude could very well be hosed for life :smith:

:smith:

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Cyks posted:

Pretty sure forcing an employee to be naked or to see you naked when it isn't a requirement for the job function is the easiest sexual harassment case ever conceived.

The vow of silence person MAY have some rights if they can find a job that doesn't require speaking if it's for religious reasons? But i doubt it.
The thing that's tripping me up is like, obviously mute people can and do work and get supported in jobs under disability protection (and should be!), could the dude make a similar case for himself under religious protection? But, I think there'd be less leeway for that, since they don't have a condition (physical or mental) preventing them from speaking. The only way I can see it working is if the job already doesn't involve speaking face to face.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

The Chad Jihad posted:

I'm sorry my eyes keep sliding off the screen please tell me everyone is calling him a moron

Literally every single comment is, yes.

PetraCore posted:

The thing that's tripping me up is like, obviously mute people can and do work and get supported in jobs under disability protection (and should be!), could the dude make a similar case for himself under religious protection? But, I think there'd be less leeway for that, since they don't have a condition (physical or mental) preventing them from speaking. The only way I can see it working is if the job already doesn't involve speaking face to face.

Even if he was mute for religious or medical reasons, being able to speak is a "bona fide occupational qualification", which gets around a lot of protective laws since, you know, people do need to be able to actually perform the job you're hiring them for.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Literally every single comment is, yes.

Even if he was mute for religious or medical reasons, being able to speak is a "bona fide occupational qualification", which gets around a lot of protective laws since, you know, people do need to be able to actually perform the job you're hiring them for.
But there's still plenty of jobs you can do when mute. No, you're not going to be doing a customer-facing job that involves verbal communication, but there is work where communicating with co-workers in an alternate way works, especially with technological aid.

Just like, you know, there's a lot of jobs where being able to see is important, but there's still work blind people do and some of it might surprise you! My point is people are more likely to give accommodation for a legitimate disability than a religious lifestyle choice that's as severe as a vow of silence, it's not like finding time in the day for a muslim employee to pray or something.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Vow of silence dude could get a job in IT. Hell, some of my best days at work involved no human interaction beyond email or some sort of chat/IM. The only trick would be the interview, and HR would probably have someone from Legal sitting in on the interview because there's a great potential for a really interesting lawsuit.

And we've all had co-workers who we wish would take such a vow.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

PetraCore posted:

Just like, you know, there's a lot of jobs where being able to see is important, but there's still work blind people do and some of it might surprise you! My point is people are more likely to give accommodation for a legitimate disability than a religious lifestyle choice that's as severe as a vow of silence, it's not like finding time in the day for a muslim employee to pray or something.

Oh, for sure, I wasn't saying "don't employ the mute", just that there's a big and established standard when it comes to certain requirements. There's a lot of jobs where quick and noticable communication is a requirement, but stuff like IT jobs and engineering and all that would be just fine.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Smirking_Serpent posted:

WIBTA if I gifted my transgender coworker a necklace with his previous name?

Add a hammer in the box.

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

Biplane posted:

What the actual gently caress

Is this person braindead? I seriously don’t even know what to say this is so unbelievably stupid.

My old general foreman was like this. He once took it upon himself to change our double-shift rule. For a long time, if we worked double shifts, we'd just stay on the clock between shifts. It was normally 2 hours or less, and we would normally just work through it so we could get into double time. He told us we were no longer allowed to do that, and I ended up prodding him about where that concern was coming from. I asked if management had said anything, and he told me no. So I was like "why in the gently caress did we change something if nobody has told us to??" "We gotta save the company money!"

Dude also straight-up would not order replacement parts for stuff or would hem and haw over things being too expensive. He wouldn't order hand wipes for the shop because: 1) they were "too expensive" (we later bought a case of like 10 tubs for $70 and have barely gone through two of them all year); 2) they weren't "meant for cleaning your hands."

For the record, this was the front of the container:

Later we discovered the company thought he was just being really efficient/practical about ordering parts and were frequently giving him $200 steakhouse gift cards as a reward

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Beachcomber posted:

Add a hammer in the box.

...Actually that's not the worst solution.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Grape posted:

Lol wait so you understand and recognize the ethnic differences between Catholic Irish and protestant Scots Irish in Northern Ireland, but not that there is any difference between the people Mesopotamia, the Levant, Arabia, the Nile Valley, the Sahara, and the Maghreb? Let alone all the countries covered by those regions? Like really?

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Beachcomber posted:

Add a hammer in the box.

:drat: you good.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Pinecone Sample posted:

Ashley Madison extortion

whenever I see ashley madison stuff I think about what hopeless, pathetic, spineless men must have signed up for it

including my dad lmao

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

therobit posted:

Lol wait so you understand and recognize the ethnic differences between Catholic Irish and protestant Scots Irish in Northern Ireland, but not that there is any difference between the people Mesopotamia, the Levant, Arabia, the Nile Valley, the Sahara, and the Maghreb? Let alone all the countries covered by those regions? Like really?

quote:

San Francisco (CNN Business)Uber released its highly-anticipated safety report on Thursday revealing, among other details, that it received 5,981 reports of sexual assault in 2017 and 2018.
Among those, there were 464 reports of rape.

so I mean both sides though right

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

welcome to hell posted:

My girlfriend likes to hold my dick while I pee.

this is something way, way more widespread than people like to talk about.

Some of the Sheep
May 25, 2005
POSSIBLY IT WOULD BE SIMPLER IF I ASKED FOR A LIST OF THE HARMLESS CREATURES OF THE AFORESAID CONTINENT?

thatguy posted:

so I mean both sides though right

1) Not sure what point you're trying to make connecting those two things, but more importantly 2) shut the gently caress up about uber idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barudak
May 7, 2007

professor metis posted:

whenever I see ashley madison stuff I think about what hopeless, pathetic, spineless men must have signed up for it

including my dad lmao

Hoooooooold up there pardner. Were gonna need this story if youre comfortable sharing it