Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!
Started a new Career Mode. My Heavy Metal 'Mech was the Vulcan, and I started on Panzyr, and in the shop was an Arm Mod ++ That gave +60 Melee Damage.

So now my Vulcan is loaded up with machine guns and going all Gun Fu on peoples asses with 110 Melee Damage roundhouse kicks and bullets in every direction.

(Once I get some drat SLs, I'm turning it into a kung fu disco rave)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I love how this campaign no one has died to headsplosions yet and no one's been cored, but I've lost millions in UACs, LBXs, and Snub PPCs. It's a nice change of pace that the mechs themselves actually aren't the most important things.

my wallet :negative:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

I love how this campaign no one has died to headsplosions yet and no one's been cored, but I've lost millions in UACs, LBXs, and Snub PPCs. It's a nice change of pace that the mechs themselves actually aren't the most important things.

my wallet :negative:

Three times now I've had an AC20 round hit a head space on a bulwark, covered friendly mech, and all I can say is "thank loving Christ". I'm going through cockpit mods fast because there's no way I'm keeping that pilot on the field with 1 hp left on the head slot.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Dec 11, 2019

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Looks like people have figured out the Marauder build with the highest headcap percentage: 3x UAC2++, 4x ERML++, 2x ERSL++.

You can probably drop the 2 ERSL for a small dip in percentages since it's not too often you'll actually be in range to use them.

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

This expansion pack rules. Why would I ever talk salvage again? I went straight from having nothing but mediums to having an Atlas off the black market. Got myself a King Crab that way too. Slapping as many UAC-20s on everything I can every time I can and its rare to meet a mech that survives the alpha. Honestly it feels sorta mean, but I love it. The LRM boats are tricky to deal with but typically I smoke their spotters quick enough that they can't put too much hurt on me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

anakha posted:

Looks like people have figured out the Marauder build with the highest headcap percentage: 3x UAC2++, 4x ERML++, 2x ERSL++.

You can probably drop the 2 ERSL for a small dip in percentages since it's not too often you'll actually be in range to use them.

My gauss++ LB 2-X++ 2x ERML build gets so many headshots that I can't imagine boosting my odds EVEN HIGHER lol

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Klyith posted:

edit: this will guarantee that a random annihilator shows up on a 2.5 skull mission when you've set salvage to minimum because you don't care about yet more medium mech parts. ask me how I know.
Speaking of which, what are your usual settings for money/savage? I'm 10 missions in and I have literally guessed wrong (i.e. whether the enemy will be mech or tanks) 100% of the time.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fat Samurai posted:

Speaking of which, what are your usual settings for money/savage? I'm 10 missions in and I have literally guessed wrong (i.e. whether the enemy will be mech or tanks) 100% of the time.

General rule of thumb pre-HM was to go 100% cash for the first missions then increase salvage once you get to 2.5+ skull missions.

Nowadays? I say go 100% cash all the time until you start hitting 3.5+ missions. Most stores have multiple parts of Mechs so you can just focus on earning enough money to get some good medium Mech parts.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Early in the game your opponents have trash mechs, and you generally can't afford to get cute trying to maximize salvage when some of your own mechs are still easily blown up lights.

Once you can reliably headshot/knock down mechs for lots of slavage you can get absurd amounts of cash by selling mechs, and later in the game enemies will drop buckets of +++ items.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title
The Marauder and the Annihilator are absolutely absurd.

The MAD is just a headcapping machine, and the Annihilator, with that huge +20% on all ballistics (in an expansion that added UACs and made GRs more accessible on the market), and with more pod space than anything except the Star League Atlas just murders things.

Like, just take a lance of MADs and Annihilators, use all your resolve on headshots for the MADs, and then just go "lol who need precision strikes" with the Annihilators.

And they're not even hard to find! MAD parts are in stores all over the place and I was seeing annihilators the moment I started doint 4+ skull missions.

EDIT: Also ECM is now in normal stores. Lmao, I have a ghost Atlas now too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fat Samurai posted:

The classic answer is to look at what your employer is offering lots of, and then take the opposite. Mission offers $500k when your normal is $350? gently caress that, max salvage. Baseline salvage is 5/12? It's gonna be tanks tanks tanks.

I don't know if the new missions and added variations (like extra 3rd party mechs showing up) break that pattern or hold to it. Also even the do the opposite rule may have a bit of apophenia to it -- missions have a lot of random elements to them.

Also with the new quantities of mech parts and good guns in the stores, taking the money is probably a much better idea for a lot of the early game. Especially if you've bumped up the # of salvage parts.

anakha posted:

All of that math only works if UACs are fully independent for hit location, which I haven't seen anyone definitively say based on looking inside the game code.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Klyith posted:

All of that math only works if UACs are fully independent for hit location, which I haven't seen anyone definitively say based on looking inside the game code.

Has anyone ever seen 1 UAC put both shots into the head on a called shot?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Klyith posted:

Key assumptions from the spreadsheet were as follows:

quote:

- Base chance to hit the head of 33%.
- Second bullet on UAC2 has chance to hit the head reduced by 50%.
- No streak breaking or other probability math that isn't straight down the middle.

The UAC2 logic is the same as SRMs, IIRC.

E: Built this Marauder for kicks and tried it out on a base defense mission. Went 3/4 headshot kills, and the one that survived did so with only 6 structure left in the head. The guy who made that spreadsheet may be on to something.

anakha fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 11, 2019

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Organ Fiend posted:

The Marauder and the Annihilator are absolutely absurd.

The MAD is just a headcapping machine, and the Annihilator, with that huge +20% on all ballistics (in an expansion that added UACs and made GRs more accessible on the market), and with more pod space than anything except the Star League Atlas just murders things.

Like, just take a lance of MADs and Annihilators, use all your resolve on headshots for the MADs, and then just go "lol who need precision strikes" with the Annihilators.

And they're not even hard to find! MAD parts are in stores all over the place and I was seeing annihilators the moment I started doint 4+ skull missions.

EDIT: Also ECM is now in normal stores. Lmao, I have a ghost Atlas now too.

I've never seen a Marauder and haven't built a Warhammer yet but my campaign's been insanely weird compared to the other ones so far. Like my main boy for a while was a Zeus which only just got retired by a Banshee S.

I got a lot of mileage out of the Rifleman and Archer though. There's basically no reason to ever field a Catapult now.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

RBA Starblade posted:

I've never seen a Marauder and haven't built a Warhammer yet but my campaign's been insanely weird compared to the other ones so far. Like my main boy for a while was a Zeus which only just got retired by a Banshee S.

I got a lot of mileage out of the Rifleman and Archer though. There's basically no reason to ever field a Catapult now.

They massively increased the amount of mech parts in stores. Every store. Check the store for every planet you visit and you'll have a Marauder in no time. The same seems to be true of the AWS-T and both Archer variants, so that's an LRM boat for you if you need it. Warhammer parts are also really common (never built one myself; the Annihilator I picked up boosted me into assault tonnages pretty rapidly).

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It seems like after 1.8/Heavy Metal the easy flashpoints from the Flashpoint DLC show up first, and fewer flashpoints show up on the map at a time. Am I just imagining it or has anybody else noticed this?

On my play-through back around 1.6 I'd have 4 skull flashpoints show up on the map when I was still dicking around with mediums and lights.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Organ Fiend posted:

They massively increased the amount of mech parts in stores. Every store. Check the store for every planet you visit and you'll have a Marauder in no time. The same seems to be true of the AWS-T and both Archer variants, so that's an LRM boat for you if you need it. Warhammer parts are also really common (never built one myself; the Annihilator I picked up boosted me into assault tonnages pretty rapidly).

I have been, they're not there lol, just everything else. I've seen a few enemy Warhammers fielded though, but never an Annihilator or Marauder (I bought the former)

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

RBA Starblade posted:

I have been, they're not there lol, just everything else. I've seen a few enemy Warhammers fielded though, but never an Annihilator or Marauder (I bought the former)

drat. Well they're pretty game breaking so maybe its good for you.

At least you got the Annihilator. drat if that thing doesn't live up to its name.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Organ Fiend posted:

drat. Well they're pretty game breaking so maybe its good for you.

At least you got the Annihilator. drat if that thing doesn't live up to its name.

Mechagodzilla is real, real good at eating heads

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

So now my Vulcan is sporting a quad set of SL, maximum JJs, heaps of armor, and the crown jewel, a +60 Melee Damage Arm Mod in one arm and a +20 Melee Damage Arm Mod in the other.

So now my mental image of this Battlemech is the standard Vulcan frame... except with GINORMOUS gorilla arms.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

RBA Starblade posted:

And he's got a jazzy theme tune that SWINGS, baby!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYWJDZdLORA

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Rorahusky posted:

So now my Vulcan is sporting a quad set of SL, maximum JJs, heaps of armor, and the crown jewel, a +60 Melee Damage Arm Mod in one arm and a +20 Melee Damage Arm Mod in the other.

So now my mental image of this Battlemech is the standard Vulcan frame... except with GINORMOUS gorilla arms.

I'd probably replace that +20 melee mod with a +30 Stab mod, if you hit some of the bigger mech and don't unsteady them, they'll have enough movement left to walk behind you and shoot you in the back.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

sean10mm posted:

Yeah I know. I just haven't played a game involving spy poo poo in a while and I'm ready to be a sneaky gently caress. :ninja:

Phantom Doctrine is a lot of fun as far as XCom-likes go but yeah it's got some fairly glaring problems. The developer did add mod support some months ago though so maybe it'll be one of those that gets better with community involvement.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

GHOST_BUTT posted:

Phantom Doctrine is a lot of fun as far as XCom-likes go but yeah it's got some fairly glaring problems. The developer did add mod support some months ago though so maybe it'll be one of those that gets better with community involvement.

Now there is a game that's filled to the brim with so much extremely grindy unfun bull, and yet the baseline is so ripe with potiental that it hard to believe they found a way to gently caress it up.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Has anyone played the Rougetech mod? Any good?

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

You didn't accept it was there best mod ever made before playing it? Banned for bullying the creator

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

You ever play Long War for XCOM?

Okay imagine that but with the particular kind of nerd Battletech produces

Viola, RogueTech

In all seriousness it's a contentious mod because apparently the creator is a shitlord and the thing is just jampacked with content that can be super fiddly and unbalanced. Very everything but the kitchen sink kind of creation.

Space Skeleton
Sep 28, 2004

I ended up going with Battletech Extended over Roguetech myself. It's a modpack which adds a lot without changing "too much" in my opinion. It feels like an expansion.

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Blerg, man, the Phoenix Hawk is so underwhelming. The Vectored Thrust Kit is a neat gimmick and all, but the fact that you're pretty much pidgon holed into an All Energy loadout makes it run so hot that trying to actually make use of the extended jump range and damage buff during an extended fight a huge pain. Of the three 'Mechs you can get off of the Heavy Metal crate, it is by far the weakest IMO.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now that all the DLC is out I'm thinking of picking up BT Extended myself.

I wish there were a mod with Clans in that wasn't Roguetech, which is interesting for its sheer amount of content but manages to tick me off with what they choose to ignore or change from canon. It's me, I'm that grog now I guess.

And this is a shame because it's the mod that has, at least on paper, mechs whose art I designed. Well, at least in name, I doubt anybody has managed to model an Agrotera or Juliano in MWO-style.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Xarbala posted:

Now that all the DLC is out I'm thinking of picking up BT Extended myself.

I wish there were a mod with Clans in that wasn't Roguetech, which is interesting for its sheer amount of content but manages to tick me off with what they choose to ignore or change from canon. It's me, I'm that grog now I guess.

And this is a shame because it's the mod that has, at least on paper, mechs whose art I designed. Well, at least in name, I doubt anybody has managed to model an Agrotera or Juliano in MWO-style.

I am having a lot of fun with Extended. Just managed to salvage my first Dervish!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Rorahusky posted:

Blerg, man, the Phoenix Hawk is so underwhelming. The Vectored Thrust Kit is a neat gimmick and all, but the fact that you're pretty much pidgon holed into an All Energy loadout makes it run so hot that trying to actually make use of the extended jump range and damage buff during an extended fight a huge pain. Of the three 'Mechs you can get off of the Heavy Metal crate, it is by far the weakest IMO.

Disagree. The assassin & vulkan are great for killing lights at the start of career, so they're probably the better mechs to get from the crate. But the phoenix hawk is real good later on though.

The K Phoenix is an ace pilot backstabbing machine that can solo a lot of mechs up to the 70 ton range. Load it with 5 MLAs, get one free with the damage boost. The crazy jump range is amazing, you can be up a mech's rear end from across the map. It's hot as gently caress, but you only shoot twice before running off for a couple turns. Look for a heat bank.

(The backstabber pilot build is ace pilot / sensor lock BTW, followed by guts for the heat capacity upgrades. The sensor lock is so they have something to do on rounds when you don't have a good shot, don't have enough resolve, or are cooling off. The key to backstabber is not yoloing into a bad situation.)

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Yeah, BE3025 is great. Just be really careful about ambush convoy missions - even in very low skull contracts you can get unwinnable situations where the convoy is made up of new vehicles that are either tremendously well armed, armored or fast enough to outrun you.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Klyith posted:

Disagree. The assassin & vulkan are great for killing lights at the start of career, so they're probably the better mechs to get from the crate. But the phoenix hawk is real good later on though.

The K Phoenix is an ace pilot backstabbing machine that can solo a lot of mechs up to the 70 ton range. Load it with 5 MLAs, get one free with the damage boost. The crazy jump range is amazing, you can be up a mech's rear end from across the map. It's hot as gently caress, but you only shoot twice before running off for a couple turns. Look for a heat bank.

(The backstabber pilot build is ace pilot / sensor lock BTW, followed by guts for the heat capacity upgrades. The sensor lock is so they have something to do on rounds when you don't have a good shot, don't have enough resolve, or are cooling off. The key to backstabber is not yoloing into a bad situation.)

You could also just field a grasshopper.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Conspiratiorist posted:

You could also just field a grasshopper.

How many heavy metal crates do I need to open to get a grasshopper?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

RBA Starblade posted:

I didn't realize one of these was on the field in my last mission until my Orion suddenly ate 4x AC10 shots from a mech I didn't have a sensor signature on, knocking it over, giving everyone and their dog called shots on the torso and coring it in one round. Pilot survived, thankfully. Had me making GBS threads bricks though.

To add insult to injury, I only had 2 priority salvage slots after headcapping it.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

So they managed to add an honest-to-god bossfight to this game?

Bounty Hunter doesn't gently caress about.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Klyith posted:

How many heavy metal crates do I need to open to get a grasshopper?

Six.

Afriscipio
Jun 3, 2013

sean10mm posted:

Yeah I know. I just haven't played a game involving spy poo poo in a while and I'm ready to be a sneaky gently caress. :ninja:

Invisible inc. is what you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

The Catapult C4 is still an absolutely brutal SRM brawler. If you can get a four-missile Catapult or Jagermech, it's still a pro choice.