Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

boar guy posted:

there's no merch because favreau wanted baby yoda to be a secret

lol that they can do that for a TV show but can't be bothered to keep any secrets about their multi billion dollar film franchise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

boar guy posted:

there's no merch because favreau wanted baby yoda to be a secret

I can really respect putting the enjoyment of the story ahead of merch sales. Good on him if true.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Blistex posted:

I can really respect putting the enjoyment of the story ahead of merch sales. Good on him if true.

it's a very rare moment of integrity in hollywood- i'll take it

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Rutibex posted:

lol that they can do that for a TV show but can't be bothered to keep any secrets about their multi billion dollar film franchise

Literally a red stormtrooper. How goddamn lazy can you get? Oh, I guess it lets them reuse the plastic molds they already have

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rutibex posted:

Sweet, they found a way to make the Emperor's Guard and Snoke's NotSith Guard, but lame!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Clark Nova posted:

Literally a red stormtrooper. How goddamn lazy can you get? Oh, I guess it lets them reuse the plastic molds they already have

It literally would not have surprised me if that box read "HURRICANE TROOPER"

dudeness
Mar 5, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Fallen Rib
Licorice (the good kind) troopers (the bad kind).

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Sweet, they found a way to make the Emperor's Guard and Snoke's NotSith Guard, but lame!

there is one particular aspect of the spoilers that i tell people who dont really want to hear them but want to know if i think they will like the movie or not and its only three words

death star destroyer

all of them have hated the idea. one described it as the kind of nonsensical bullshit a five year old playing with action figures in a sandbox would come up with

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

boar guy posted:

there is one particular aspect of the spoilers that i tell people who dont really want to hear them but want to know if i think they will like the movie or not and its only three words
:aaa:

Oh come the gently caress on. No! It's impossible!

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I remember seeing nerds on the internet arguing that the shields on the uss enterprise could easily deflect the death star beam, and then thinking "this is the dumbest nerd poo poo ever"

Who could have guessed that that discussion would be topped, and in a mainstream star wars release no less, by this thread lol just kidding it's death star destroyers

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
well the death star is a super laser and one time riker said the enterprise is immune to laser so it checks out

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

star wars things made out of other star wars things. it's like Ulillillia remixing the same video game tracks so he can listen to them over and over.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Rutibex posted:

well the death star is a super laser and one time riker said the enterprise is immune to laser so it checks out
Yeah well the deflector array withstands micrometeorites and plasma but it ain't letting the Excelsior drive through a Star anytime soon!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Blistex posted:

/\ Did anyone ever find any "proof" that Snoke was supposed to make it to the end of the trilogy and be the main antagonist? Palpatine seems to be a tacked-on hail Mary play to win back fans.

I mentioned it before, but it seems that the writing pool studios use is getting smaller because they get tickets sold. It doesn't matter if the writing is good or not, as long as they play it safe. The fact that the guys who wrote dialogue for the Transformers still get work is proof enough.

sheeve is a tacked on hail mary. there was some intevew that came out a few days ago with ian mcdermid and he basicaly said they called him up one day after tlj and asked if he wanted to give it another go.

Chomp8645 posted:

Even in Nu-canon the Empire didn't immediately collapse after Endor. I don't know how long it's supposed to be between Endor and Jakku but the Empire is supposed to intact and mostly stable until at least that point.

sorta. basicaly most of the high command die at endor and the big fleet remnants get hosed up at jakku because of sheeves mad king bullshit. a bunch flee off to uknown regions and a ton throw down their weapons and join the senate and gently caress it up from the inside. also the mandalorian shows the empire sorta exists in bits and pieces in the outer rim.

Owlbear Camus posted:

I would assume most of them are leftovers who were serving under whatever General or Admiral or Moff decided to be Warlord of their little piece of the pie after it crumbled post-Endor.

Almost every source depicts them as hopelessly indocrinated to the point of brainwashing so when Imperial Territorial Marshal Dipshit McGee says "we will keep the Empire going here in the Ibaar system, the Emperor may be dead but the Empire is eternal" they salute and get back to their post.

old canon was full of that poo poo. the empire goes on for like another 10 or so years in different factions and such.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

I remember reading the Zahn trilogy when I was a kid. Thrawn owned, they should’ve just followed that storyline

Svdl
May 9, 2006

Around the world

Rutibex posted:

"It has some really unique aesthetics to it. And it has some subtle ties to previous stormtrooper designs, which I think fans will enjoy discovering."
―Lucasfilm archivist Madlyn Burkert, on the Sith trooper design[src]

TheIncredulousHulk
Sep 3, 2012

JJ Abrams making Ep 7, face scrunched in intense thought: What if Death Star....... but biggerer

JJ Abrams making Ep 9, face scrunched in even more intense thought: What if Death Star................... but smallerer

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

A Death Star, but deader and gayer

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

Svdl posted:

"It has some really unique aesthetics to it. And it has some subtle ties to previous stormtrooper designs, which I think fans will enjoy discovering."
―Lucasfilm archivist Madlyn Burkert, on the Sith trooper design[src]

It has a tiny amount of Phase 2 Clone Trooper armor in the bucket, the asymmetry on the pauldrons is also Clone-esque and the chest is closer to a TK than an FO in some ways, mostly greebs.

You have to be a gigantic nerd who has built this sort of poo poo to notice any of it. It's a red FO trooper lol.

An Ounce of Gold
Jul 13, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

They're red now?

They're red now!

They're red now...

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Dapper_Swindler posted:

sheeves mad king bullshit

It's really funny how the sudden revelation he somehow survived being betrayed by his apprentice makes his NuCanon "gently caress up the Empire as punishment for failing me" orders even more stupid than they already were.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Emrikol posted:

It's really funny how the sudden revelation he somehow survived being betrayed by his apprentice makes his NuCanon "gently caress up the Empire as punishment for failing me" orders even more stupid than they already were.

maybe it was just places that he didn't like anyway like Space Cleveland

Saint Drogo
Dec 26, 2011

KiteAuraan posted:

It has a tiny amount of Phase 2 Clone Trooper armor in the bucket, the asymmetry on the pauldrons is also Clone-esque and the chest is closer to a TK than an FO in some ways, mostly greebs.

You have to be a gigantic nerd who has built this sort of poo poo to notice any of it. It's a red FO trooper lol.
you do have to look hard to see it's not a recolour.

remember snow troopers and scout troopers? those were just meant to be lil stormtrooper variations, and they're complete, lavish redesigns compared to this.

e: i haven't read the leaks properly, how are these guys sith-powered? it looks like they still just shoot people with blasters.

Saint Drogo fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Dec 15, 2019

Emrikol
Oct 1, 2015

Saint Drogo posted:

you do have to look hard to see it's not a recolour.

remember snow troopers and scout troopers? those were just meant to be lil stormtrooper variations, and they're complete, lavish redesigns compared to this.

e: i haven't read the leaks properly, how are these guys sith-powered? it looks like they still just shoot people with blasters.

They go well with the First Order TIE fighters, which are just normal TIE fighters with their colors inverted.

They're Sith troopers because Palpatine is the Sith Master, and they're red because his guards wore red, so his entire secret army does, too.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

The only thing I'm looking forward to, in a positive way, is if Palpatine is really animated by a big shadowy robot arm jammed into his spine. That sounds cool and horrific

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
i heard ray kills palpatine by deflecting his lightning back at him with a lightsaber and then he explodes while shrieking noo

if thats true and as campy as I'm imagining it this movie might take the prize for worst star wars moment ever, finally ending the the three way tie between vaders noo, that alien horse farting in jar jars face and the entire run time of force awakens

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

BIG PUFFY NIPS posted:

i heard ray kills palpatine by deflecting his lightning back at him with a lightsaber and then he explodes while shrieking noo

if thats true and as campy as I'm imagining it this movie might take the prize for worst star wars moment ever, finally ending the the three way tie between vaders noo, that alien horse farting in jar jars face and the entire run time of force awakens

I hope after he gets hit with lightning he just Superman flies off into space but leia intercepts him and shoots him with her light side lightning hand lasers

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

How are they going to explain leia dying anyway? Will the opening crawl mention that although she used the force to fly back to the ship she still died from space radiation a few days later?

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
There should be a stormtrooper for any imaginable and unimaginable terrain type. Sea Trooper, trash trooper, space trooper, cantina trooper, high trooper, aquatic trooper, wood trooper and so on.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

There should be a stormtrooper for any imaginable and unimaginable terrain type. Sea Trooper, trash trooper, space trooper, cantina trooper, high trooper, aquatic trooper, wood trooper and so on.

Sure why not - they fly now. They should swim too

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Paul Cooper: mall storm trooper

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
*Big Daddy Trooper silently emerges behind Finn and starts spinning his LaserDrill*

They drill now?

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

Colonel Cancer posted:

*Big Daddy Trooper silently emerges behind Finn and starts spinning his LaserDrill*

They drill now?

*trooper broadcasts a funny line ripping on the resistance*

They dril now?

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug
3PO, walking in on Luke and Leia: "Ah! They gently caress now?! :gonk: "

Finn: "They gently caress now??? :wth: "

Poe: "They gently caress now :heysexy: "

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Vomik posted:

How are they going to explain leia dying anyway? Will the opening crawl mention that although she used the force to fly back to the ship she still died from space radiation a few days later?

It's explained in the novelization that a lifetime of Midichlorian abuse was too much for her to take, and that abuse finally caught up to her.

Explanation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSCm8yAxBr8&t=548s

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Colonel Cancer posted:

I think literally all of those exits in the EU lol

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

the "Aquatic Assault Trooper" is definitely a thing lmao

they even have lil' spearguns like in Jonny Quest

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer
lol at how much of an incoherent mess the new trilogy is

and now that they're reviving palpatine, how much of a massive poo poo it takes on the OT

side note, remember when bigger death staaar shot out like 5 beams at the same time and hit a bunch of planets all lined up in a row? i wish i could sit in on that production meeting

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I remember reading the Zahn trilogy when I was a kid. Thrawn owned, they should’ve just followed that storyline

I can’t even imagine a modern Star Wars with Thrawn, whose superpowers were “tactics” and “competent administration,” as the bad guy. There’s no loving way they could make a movie where one of the characters was smart and did things that made sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

RaySmuckles posted:

lol at how much of an incoherent mess the new trilogy is

and now that they're reviving palpatine, how much of a massive poo poo it takes on the OT

side note, remember when bigger death staaar shot out like 5 beams at the same time and hit a bunch of planets all lined up in a row? i wish i could sit in on that production meeting

The Sun Crusher is right there in the EU. making Starkiller base destroy the whole system by shooting its sun would still be dumb but it would make for better spectacle.