Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Apparently no, you're not, and neither was I for thinking the same thing :

https://www.history.com/news/neanderthal-spear-throwing-discovery

This seems to a very recent insight, as in last few years recent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Cardiovorax posted:

No, it's pretty much literally because we mated them out of existence. The fact that modern humans are also more physically able in other ways is just why they were folded into our species rather than we into theirs. A difference in relative numbers caused by greater fitness for the group hunting lifestyle. There was never enough conflict for that to matter except between maybe the occasional individuals.
for a man obsessed with the cuck meme he's really setting up a lot of jokes here about people loving his wife while he builds his bunker

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Cardiovorax posted:

Most of us are. We interbred to the point where the reason Neanderthals don't exist anymore is because the were folded into the larger human species. The average person has about 10% Neanderthal DNA.

I actually did know that (though your estimation on the percent is very high). I should have said 'directly descended' or, yes, 'believes himself to be one'. He calls other people Sapiens sometimes. I guess it's an insult.

Prism fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Dec 16, 2019

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I bought the cleve game full price with the intent of returning it but forgot AMA

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Prism posted:

I actually did know that. I should have said 'directly descended' or, yes, 'believes himself to be one'. He calls other people Sapiens sometimes. I guess it's an insult.

That is our word, how dare he.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Glagha posted:

I bought the cleve game full price with the intent of returning it but forgot AMA

Is it any good?

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

No. Thank you for coming to my ted talk

Fake edit extended version: It's got some cool ideas and there's definitely some heart and charm to it but it's buried under 30ft. of the dev being a crazy person and the game offering zero guidance on how the gently caress you play. You have like, 30 billion stats and resistances and as I understand it (I didn't get far enough) there's a lot of game concepts that literally don't work at all. Also it opens with a golden baby and the word INCLINE! which I guess is a weird grog meme about "the decline of PC gaming" or something.

Glagha fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 16, 2019

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skwirl posted:

I haven't played any Wizardry games, but isn't there a Wizardry 8 that's largely respected by the people who played Wizardry 7?
This analogy will be lost on you if you haven't played some Might & Magic games, but it's basically the same situation as with Might & Magic 6. That is to say, MM6 is very much well liked by MM fans, yet it is inarguably a pretty different game from the ones that came before it. It's clearly descending from MM5 but the aesthetics and game design were taken in a different direction simply due to evolutions in technology and design (notably due to 3D), but they weren't necessarily good changes if you liked the previous formula. Thus, a game can pitch itself as a successor to the spirit of World of Xeen (MM4-5) rather than the 6+ MM and it does mean something (and indeed that's the approach that ubi chose for pitching MMX. Whether they pulled it off is another story).

Works the same with Wizardry 8. Simply by virtue of existing in the 3D era it's had a number of alterations to the formula and it's plausible for Grimoire to decide harken to Wiz7 rather than 8 (independently of Cleve's history), and just one glance at the game itself makes it obvious which game it chose to follow..

Skwirl posted:

Does it let you import your Wizardry 7 characters?
You can take one party all the way through 6-7-8 for the full effect.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

quote:

This analogy will be lost on you if you haven't played some Might & Magic games, but it's basically the same situation as with Might & Magic 6..
As a personal remark on that subject, I would say that Wizardry 8 actually handled the transition far better than MM6 did. It makes far better use of the technology and even though it belongs to the same era, it looks much nicer and plays far smoother.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I was asking if Grimoire let you import your Wizardry 7 characters, since it was billing itself as the true sequel to Wizardry 7.

Also, haven't played any Wizardry, but is there a specific reason some people who loved 7 hate 8?

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Not really more of one than there always is when a sequel to a long-standing series suddenly does something very new and different. Some people will like and accept it, while other people will see it as too much of a departure from how they liked it and what they simply wanted more of. Either attitude is justified in its own way, really.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Skwirl posted:

I was asking if Grimoire let you import your Wizardry 7 characters, since it was billing itself as the true sequel to Wizardry 7.
Ahaha, didn't realize that. No I don't think so.

Was it the original Bard's tale that could basically import characters from all big name RPGs of its era?

Skwirl posted:

Also, haven't played any Wizardry, but is there a specific reason some people who loved 7 hate 8?
I'm not even saying they hate 8, just that it's not the same thing. That being said 8's obvious huge weakness would be that it's very slow. In the 2D era enemy attack animations were either very fast or even absent so fights could be largely fast-forwarded through and/or in general could be very fast, directly depending on your click/button press rate. Same for moving around in grid-based turn-based blobbers. But 3D wasn't just a change in graphics, it was a change in the abstraction level. As movement became continuous, it became slower, and enemies move around and can have lengthy attack or spell animations. And so 8's combat is very slow, which can be problematic when there's a whole bunch of monsters, and I remember one area in particular is infamous for being a tedious slog. Fans made an utility to speed up the fights but they may remain problematic.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Chev posted:

Was it the original Bard's tale that could basically import characters from all big name RPGs of its era?
Let me consult...my text file on games that you can import characters from/to

You could supposedly import characters from both Ultima III and Wizardry to that game or Bard's Tale II. I think it varied by system. And from Ultima III/IV or the first three Wizardries into Bard's Tale III.

And, most confusingly perhaps, from Bard's Tale, Ultima III, or Wizardry, into Deathlord.

Oh wait I believe perhaps in this very thread we had it confirmed that you could import from a total of at least eight games (Bard's Tales, Wizardries, Ultima[s], Might & Magic) into Centauri Alliance, despite that game taking place in the future.

The 1980s RPG scene was INTENSE MAN

Though Hillsfar and Curse of the Azure Bonds allowing characters to be imported back and forth between each other is still my favorite.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Chev posted:

And so 8's combat is very slow, which can be problematic when there's a whole bunch of monsters, and I remember one area in particular is infamous for being a tedious slog. Fans made an utility to speed up the fights but they may remain problematic.

One the one hand, it was so cool seeing friendly NPCs run out and bust some heads on your behalf if you got in a fight near them. On the other hand it quickly became incredibly tedious if, say, an entire base full of friendly NPCs all decided to run out and fight a bunch of random monsters with you.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
I'm surprised none of the modern retroish rpgs have tried that as a gimmick. "Insert your old Wizardry disk into a USB floppy drive and import your characters into Pillars of Kingmaker 3: Original Torment! note: some character adjustments may be made"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I'm surprised none of the modern retroish rpgs have tried that as a gimmick. "Insert your old Wizardry disk into a USB floppy drive and import your characters into Pillars of Kingmaker 3: Original Torment! note: some character adjustments may be made"

Aren't they planning Baldur's Gate III? If they would say "sure, import your old character from I+II", I'd buy it instantly, even if it was poo poo, just for that.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

One the one hand, it was so cool seeing friendly NPCs run out and bust some heads on your behalf if you got in a fight near them. On the other hand it quickly became incredibly tedious if, say, an entire base full of friendly NPCs all decided to run out and fight a bunch of random monsters with you.

Friendly NPCs, nothing. I still get nightmares from invading the Rapax camp and having dozens of enemies run in from the far corners of the map every round.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006

Libluini posted:

Aren't they planning Baldur's Gate III? If they would say "sure, import your old character from I+II", I'd buy it instantly, even if it was poo poo, just for that.
All they really need to do is grab the character name and suggest a race/class/background/whatever that sounds reasonably close, start you off with a little boost of XP and a gimmick item named after the game you were imported from.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Big Mad Drongo posted:

Friendly NPCs, nothing. I still get nightmares from invading the Rapax camp and having dozens of enemies run in from the far corners of the map every round.

Fair point. I was specifically thinking the Umpani Base where several times I got into extended combats because something followed me in close enough that every soldier in the area wanted to run in to help.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

90s Cringe Rock posted:

There may be intellectual property issues at work here. It used to be all fun and games but legal departments are a bit touchier these days. Although old games should be OK.

That being said while it's not retro there's the wonderful case of Frog Fractions 3's ability to import Mass Effect savegames, which later triggers a ridiculous puzzle that you can only solve if you've got the right flags in your imported savegame.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Chev posted:

That being said while it's not retro there's the wonderful case of Frog Fractions 3's ability to import Mass Effect savegames, which later triggers a ridiculous puzzle that you can only solve if you've got the right flags in your imported savegame.
ADDED TO THE LIST

Genpei Turtle
Jul 20, 2007

Dr. Quarex posted:

You could supposedly import characters from both Ultima III and Wizardry to that game or Bard's Tale II. I think it varied by system. And from Ultima III/IV or the first three Wizardries into Bard's Tale III.

And, most confusingly perhaps, from Bard's Tale, Ultima III, or Wizardry, into Deathlord.

Oh wait I believe perhaps in this very thread we had it confirmed that you could import from a total of at least eight games (Bard's Tales, Wizardries, Ultima[s], Might & Magic) into Centauri Alliance, despite that game taking place in the future.

Though Hillsfar and Curse of the Azure Bonds allowing characters to be imported back and forth between each other is still my favorite.

You can definitely import Ultima III characters into Bard's Tale I too--as a kid the only way I could get past the punishing difficulty of the early game was by having my U3 characters train up my "real" party.'

Also don't forget importing Bard's Tale I or II characters into Dragon Wars--which, while possible, was an extremely dumb thing to do as you'd forever gimp those characters by doing so.

Big Mad Drongo
Nov 10, 2006

Nemo2342 posted:

Fair point. I was specifically thinking the Umpani Base where several times I got into extended combats because something followed me in close enough that every soldier in the area wanted to run in to help.

I don't recall that one happening to me, but yikes, sounds likes a vision of hell!

Glimpse
Jun 5, 2011

Dr. Quarex posted:

I remember trying to import Wizardry characters into Bard’s Tale 2 but all it found was one guy called Ed-in-mid-air, complete with hyphens. Ed-etc had an eleven cloak, but was otherwise unspectacular, maybe even bugged somehow. This was on a garage built Apple 2 clone running some hackdos, which might have had something to do with it, but the games (and everything else) ran flawlessly otherwise.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Skwirl posted:

Does it let you import your Wizardry 7 characters?

You can, and what I find amazing about that is that they made a save game from a 1992 game work with 2001 3D game. Even more amazing is that since you can also import a save from Wiz6 to Wiz7 (as mentioned before), there are items from Wizardy 6 that carry all the way to Wizardry 8 (you can get the ring from the demon girl at the end of Wiz6, and then give it to her brother, the dragon dude, for an EXP bonus)

Dr. Quarex posted:

:aaa:

Libluini posted:

I haven't heard anything about that, but it would be cool if they did. I would think, though, that if you did, a BG2 endgame character would wreck everything from the start (I dunno if that's how it would work, though. I don't know how exporting characters in Baldur's Gate works). It also seems like BG3 isn't tying in with the previous games.

I do know that in the original release of Throne of Bhaal, there were load screens that said you would be able to export your character into Neverwinter Nights, but that ended up not happening.

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

He did work at Sir-Tech, yeah - theres a mine foreman NPC in JA2 that's a very non-loving parody of him.

But yeah, it turned out absolutely everything he claimed about Stones of Arnhelm was completely true, which is hilarious and the perfect capstone to that whole bizarre saga.

https://jaggedalliance.fandom.com/wiki/Calvin_Barkmore

I need to try playing Jagged Alliance 2 one of these days.

What's the story with Stones of Arnhem? This article here is all I've really read about it, and it doesn't go into much detail.

Also, while I'm thinking of it, another game that could be called a Wizardry successor is D. W. Bradley's Wizards and Warriors, but I don't know much about it.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Max Wilco posted:

Also, while I'm thinking of it, another game that could be called a Wizardry successor is D. W. Bradley's Wizards and Warriors, but I don't know much about it.
It's better than D.W. Bradley's Dungeon Lords.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Grimoire chat made me go and find the finest video that Corn in the Bible recorderd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMAsPyYonNg

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

In my opinion, easily the best part of Wizardry 8 was the personalities/voices you could give your characters, and how they interacted with each other. I love that game.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Zarick posted:

In my opinion, easily the best part of Wizardry 8 was the personalities/voices you could give your characters, and how they interacted with each other. I love that game.

This is something I'd love to see another game try. Such a wonderful idea for being half way between old school crpgs where you roll your whole party of automatons and the usual for newer games where non-player party members are pre-written with set personalities.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

That bit was cool but imo the best part of Wizardry 8 was levelling up your characters.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
Wizardry is one of those games that seem right up my alley, but I never quite get very far beyond the character creation process or the first area before I'm back making a whole other party.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Wizardry is one of those games that seem right up my alley, but I never quite get very far beyond the character creation process or the first area before I'm back making a whole other party.

You should totally play Wizardry 4.

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

Kuros posted:

You should totally play Wizardry 4.

Any particular reason why that one sticks out? I've only ever tried 7 and 8 on a friend recommendation. Again, not delved terribly deep into either.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Any particular reason why that one sticks out? I've only ever tried 7 and 8 on a friend recommendation. Again, not delved terribly deep into either.

It simplifies and streamlines the Wiz 1-3 formula by only having a single character, and no chargen or leveling process.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

You are monsters

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Tin Can Hit Man posted:

Everything I've read about Wizardry IV has described it as being legendary in its difficulty. If I had to make a ranking of games from easiest-to-hardest, I'd put Wizardry IV near the top with games like Ghosts-&-Goblins, Dwarf Fortress, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

Actually, now that I think about, why isn't Wiz4 and the older Wizardry games on sale?

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Dec 18, 2019

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins
The monster angle actually seems pretty neat. But for the sake of clarity, I don't dislike the party creation thing. I love that stuff. I just end up spending hours creating a party, play for a few hours or days, only to create a new one later simply because it's fun.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Max Wilco posted:

Everything I've read about Wizardry IV has described it as being legendary in its difficulty. If I had to make a ranking of games from easiest-to-hardest, I'd put Wizardry IV near the top with games like Ghosts-&-Goblins, Dwarf Fortress, Ninja Gaiden, etc.

Actually, now that I think about, why isn't Wiz4 and the older Wizardry games on sale?

Wiz 4 is the Kaizo of old school CRPGs.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
To give you an idea of Wiz4's mindset: You start the game in a small room with no doors. There is a pad where you can summon a few groups of monster cohorts from a long list. To leave the room you have to just happen to know that one particular monster on that list knows a spell that detects secrets, summon that monster, get into a fight, and hope that that monster randomly decides to cast that spell. Nothing provides any hints to this mechanic; you're just supposed to know that that's how the game works because of your deep familiarity with wizardries 1-3.

By the end game, you're expected to have a working knowledge of oh, say, things like Kabbalah symbolism (no reference materials will be provided (also you don't have the internet yet))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
Yeah but it did come with a note telling you how to get out of the room, IIRC. The devs weren't complete monsters. The note even gave you advice on how to deal with the rest of the game! do not play if it you needed it to get out of the first room