Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Calm judgement?

Quatre are you drunk, or just confusing the multiple meanings of "judgement" in that sentence?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Warmachine posted:

Calm judgement?

Quatre are you drunk, or just confusing the multiple meanings of "judgement" in that sentence?

As I've been reading Glory of the Losers, I've noticed that a lot of time characters do or say things that don't seem to make sense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Gripweed posted:

As I've been reading Glory of the Losers, I've noticed that a lot of time characters do or say things that don't seem to make sense.

I mean this is Wing in a nutshell.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

I mean this is Wing in a nutshell.

Yeah, Wing is great.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I will always love Wing, dumb and insane as it is. GoL does change some of the tv stuff, sometimes for the better (a deeper dive in to Trieze) and sometimes for the worse (I uh really wasn't fan of how it changed Relena's dad dying, also more Wufei).

I'm stalled on my Turn A rewatch since my computer died and I was planning on finishing it over the weekend to wind down. It's got such a great setting and I'm also just past where Lily gets introduced, so I was really getting into it. I also like Sochie even with her poo poo attitude at times.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

chiasaur11 posted:

Choose BGST. Choose the EFSF. Choose Londo Bell or the ECOAS. Choose lying to your superiors. Choose to ruin your career. Choose no friends. Choose divorce. Choose life through the bottom of a bottle. Choose destroying evidence and executing innocent people because they know too loving much. Choose black fatigues and matching gas masks. Choose an Marasai stolen from the Titans loaded with G-3, with a wide range of loving attachments. Choose blazing away at mind numbing, sanity crushing things from beyond the stars, wondering whether you'd be better off just opening your helmet. Choose The King In Yellow and waking up wondering who you are. Choose a 120mm retirement plan. Choose going out with a bang at the end of it all, PGP encrypting your last message down a securely laid cable as a SNRI wetworks squad busts through your door. Choose one last Night at the Opera. Choose Southern Hospitality.
I feel like Gundam: Delta Green would go off the rails when after four or five brutal missions in which you did the necessary harsh hard man decision and waxed an orphanage full of Newtypes, Camille ran in, punched your mission contact in the guts, and pulled off the mask to reveal the actual horrid truth of

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Omnicrom posted:

My takeaway from the most recent viewing is that Quess basically exists to show that Char is wrong and totally full of it.
i had the same experience at the showing. went i first saw CCA ~20 years ago, i thought quess was just a dumb bitch baby. now i realize char is just Space Epstein who kidnapped and groomed a traumatized child

it really hit me when he gave quess a Mini Me outfit and took her out on the subway because he knew everyone would kiss his rear end and he could act like a magnanimous big shot in front of her. like, drat dude

TenementFunster fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 17, 2019

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Cross Rays makes this even more hilarious by having Quatre be the only Wing boy without absolutely dumpster-tier command stats. :allears:

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jl64zgBsxE

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Bloody Pom posted:

Cross Rays makes this even more hilarious by having Quatre be the only Wing boy without absolutely dumpster-tier command stats. :allears:

Appropriately so, since Quatre did work with the maganac corp, and was chosen to be tactical advisor using a Zero system.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

anyone know if the g gundam prequel manga is good?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Wufei getting owned by Treize was great

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

iospace posted:

Wufei getting owned by Treize was great
their relationship was one of the more hilarious bits of wing, upon rewatch

just be gay, you guys

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

I never noticed until now, in IBO's epilogue: Ride uses Mika's pistol to whack the guy that killed Orga. Edit: He's also wearing Orga's scarf.

I also never recognized Yamagi with his hair tied back.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Dec 18, 2019

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Blaze Dragon posted:

That may genuinely be true. Wing takes a lot from G, including patterning the Gundams after countries despite having no logical reason to do so in this setting. It's more subtle than in G, obviously, but it's still there.

Beyond Wufei's Gundams being Chinese because dragons, what other Gundams have a national element to them? About the only things I can come up with are that the Heavyarms is American because "all the guns" and Sandrock is an unspecified Middle Eastern nation because it has sand in the name and commands some Middle Eastern troops. Which isn't so much subtle as ambiguous at best. I can't even think of any national elements to Deathscythe, Wing/Zero or Epyon. I would agree that they were themed after concepts, but not that they were pattered after nations.

MechaX posted:

When I saw NT back in Feb I always thought it was funny how they tried to nix psycho frame technology due to the danger, but then eventually stuff like the Angel Halo gets born which is 100x more dangerous than any bit of psycho frame tech

I don't really agree, because a psycoframe enabled mobile suit is capable of doing things like throwing asteroids away from (or, by the same method, at) Earth, or igniting huge amounts of helium 3 and destroying entire Sides. One person can theoretically devastate the entire setting with a single psycoframe suit. At least the Angel Halo required hundreds of Newtypes acting in concert, and even then, it appeared to be a lot slower to achieve similar levels of ruination.

drrockso20 posted:

Honestly it's kinda funny how easy it probably would have been for them to have done a Robotech style mashing up of the 4 90's Gundam shows if them bringing Gundam to the US had been more planned(since Gundam Wing becoming such a success here was more of a happy accident than anything)

Do you mean Victory, G, Wing and X or G, Wing, X and Turn A out of interest? Cause I'm kind of failing to see how either Victory or Turn A are nearly as visually appropriate to G, Wing and X as they all are to each other. Turn A has more in common thematically, since it's a happier Tomino show and he focuses less on how the human condition can't change, war is horrific etc. and more on how things might change in future and that they can be better, which is more in line with the other 3 shows, but the style and setting is still different enough that I'm not really seeing how they would gel personally.

Azubah posted:

I figured closing the box was murdering all the scientists and destroying the prototypes.

I'm not even sure the "murdering the scientists" part is necessary, since no-one really understands psycoframe, not even AE and Char was the one who created it. There's no-one left who could design it regardless, so if they just delete the records and destroy the prototypes, then job done really.

Nessus posted:

I feel like Gundam: Delta Green would go off the rails when after four or five brutal missions in which you did the necessary harsh hard man decision and waxed an orphanage full of Newtypes, Camille ran in, punched your mission contact in the guts, and pulled off the mask to reveal the actual horrid truth of

Yazan is very specifically not the kind of guy who'd do those types of missions though. He actively refuses to take part in a gassing operation during Zeta after all. Yazan is a dick who denigrates every enemy, and will take advantage of any perceived weakness in his opponents to kill them while smiling about having done so, but he's not really the kind of "harsh, hard man decision maker" who would do brutal missions like killing orphanages full of Newtypes as he's presented in Zeta or ZZ. Some side material may have changed that though, I guess.

TenementFunster posted:

I had the same experience at the showing. went i first saw CCA ~20 years ago, I thought Quess was just a dumb bitch baby. now I realize Char is just Space Epstein who kidnapped and groomed a traumatized child. It really hit me when he gave Quess a "Mini Me" outfit and took her out on the subway because he knew everyone would kiss his rear end and he could act like a magnanimous big shot in front of her. Like, drat dude.

Quess is also a Lalah expy, and Quess, Hathaway and Gyunei form a relationship somewhat similar to Lalah, Char and Amuro in the original show: Gyunei being the Char achetype who is part of Zeon specifically because his parents were killed, and wants to kill the leader, while Hathaway is akin to Amuro and has a more naive outlook, at least at the start of the story. Amuro even tries to warn Hathaway away from repeating the mistakes of his past with Quess, because he says trying to pursue her will only get him killed. Char uses Quess in much the same way he used Lalah though, turning her in to a weapon in his fight against Amuro.

Gyunei and Hathaway don't have any interaction like Char and Amuro, but both are competing for Quess' affections, and one is trying to pull her out of the war while the other appears happy to push her further in to it if it will gain him an advantage in his own desires. Bringing her out to the train to see people kiss his rear end was probably less about Char being magnanimous and more about indoctrination in to his cult of personality though, since he didn't seem to care what she thought so long as she did what he wanted.

tsob fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Dec 18, 2019

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Azubah posted:

I figured closing the box was murdering all the scientists and destroying the prototypes.

Except they can’t even do that right. The Unicorn is wrapped up in crime scene tape at the end of NT and the Phenex is in the G-Reco short from a couple of years ago. Banshee is probably still floating around too, maybe as spare parts for one of the others.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
They haven't actually done it yet; they're just probably going to do it after Unicorn 2. I say after, because I doubt it'll be the climax of the show itself, given that it'd be quite a dull thing to have as your climax. It might be an epilogue or something though. Regardless, the Federation apparently has the Banshee, while Zeon have the Unicorn if I recall. Which is presumably meant as a mutually assured destruction thing i.e. each side has one of the weapons, but neither is willing to use them because of what the other might do. The tape is anti-tamper tape, meant to show if someone has messed with it, and Banshee is presumably covered in the same poo poo. The Phenex in Unicorn is a reconstruction from the Rose of Hermes, and may not be complete given what it does in the short.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Midjack posted:

Except they can’t even do that right. The Unicorn is wrapped up in crime scene tape at the end of NT and the Phenex is in the G-Reco short from a couple of years ago. Banshee is probably still floating around too, maybe as spare parts for one of the others.

I'd assume Unicorn 2 is going to be about them actually destroying the Newtype stuff

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

tsob posted:

Beyond Wufei's Gundams being Chinese because dragons, what other Gundams have a national element to them? About the only things I can come up with are that the Heavyarms is American because "all the guns" and Sandrock is an unspecified Middle Eastern nation because it has sand in the name and commands some Middle Eastern troops. Which isn't so much subtle as ambiguous at best. I can't even think of any national elements to Deathscythe, Wing/Zero or Epyon. I would agree that they were themed after concepts, but not that they were pattered after nations.

I don't really agree, because a psycoframe enabled mobile suit is capable of doing things like throwing asteroids away from (or, by the same method, at) Earth, or igniting huge amounts of helium 3 and destroying entire Sides. One person can theoretically devastate the entire setting with a single psycoframe suit. At least the Angel Halo required hundreds of Newtypes acting in concert, and even then, it appeared to be a lot slower to achieve similar levels of ruination.

Do you mean Victory, G, Wing and X or G, Wing, X and Turn A out of interest? Cause I'm kind of failing to see how either Victory or Turn A are nearly as visually appropriate to G, Wing and X as they all are to each other. Turn A has more in common thematically, since it's a happier Tomino show and he focuses less on how the human condition can't change, war is horrific etc. and more on how things might change in future and that they can be better, which is more in line with the other 3 shows, but the style and setting is still different enough that I'm not really seeing how they would gel personally.

I'm not even sure the "murdering the scientists" part is necessary, since no-one really understands psycoframe, not even AE and Char was the one who created it. There's no-one left who could design it regardless, so if they just delete the records and destroy the prototypes, then job done really.

Yazan is very specifically not the kind of guy who'd do those types of missions though. He actively refuses to take part in a gassing operation during Zeta after all. Yazan is a dick who denigrates every enemy, and will take advantage of any perceived weakness in his opponents to kill them while smiling about having done so, but he's not really the kind of "harsh, hard man decision maker" who would do brutal missions like killing orphanages full of Newtypes as he's presented in Zeta or ZZ. Some side material may have changed that though, I guess.

Quess is also a Lalah expy, and Quess, Hathaway and Gyunei form a relationship somewhat similar to Lalah, Char and Amuro in the original show: Gyunei being the Char achetype who is part of Zeon specifically because his parents were killed, and wants to kill the leader, while Hathaway is akin to Amuro and has a more naive outlook, at least at the start of the story. Amuro even tries to warn Hathaway away from repeating the mistakes of his past with Quess, because he says trying to pursue her will only get him killed. Char uses Quess in much the same way he used Lalah though, turning her in to a weapon in his fight against Amuro.

Gyunei and Hathaway don't have any interaction like Char and Amuro, but both are competing for Quess' affections, and one is trying to pull her out of the war while the other appears happy to push her further in to it if it will gain him an advantage in his own desires. Bringing her out to the train to see people kiss his rear end was probably less about Char being magnanimous and more about indoctrination in to his cult of personality though, since he didn't seem to care what she thought so long as she did what he wanted.

The first set was my thought, with the order for it's mashing up being Wing-> Victory-> X-> G

Also Victory would get the ever loving poo poo edited out of it

Gripweed posted:

I'd assume Unicorn 2 is going to be about them actually destroying the Newtype stuff

I've seen some people suggest on other sites that it will get resolved through some time travel nonsense or something, like basically using the Unicorn to retcon itself and all the other post CCA uses of Psycho Frame technology out of existence

Which would be incredibly awful, yet fascinating at the same time

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drrockso20 posted:

The first set was my thought, with the order for it's mashing up being Wing-> Victory-> X-> G

Man that'd make for one weird technology curve in regards to flight. Physical wings in Wing > Energy Wings that can double as beam shields and beam sabers in Victory > Physical Wing Vanes in X. It'd get even weirder if you threw in Endless Waltz, where the Wing Zero would suddenly have angel wings as the most basic of the flight technology. Beam guns too, considering that Wing has handheld (well, mobile suit sized hands) colony destroying guns and swords, then the only weapon even remotely capable of that kind of firepower in V is a huge penis cannon that is it's own space station dedicated solely to powering and firing that one weapon before they'd suddenly be a handheld thing again in X. The technology in general would be all over the place no matter what you did really. Shielding would be another odd instance; where Wing has funnel like AI driven energy field shielding, then there's beam shielding in Victory and suddenly in X it's back to just basic physical shields.

G would just throw it all out the window, and while it'd look aesthetically similar, the setting and technology are so dissimilar that you'd really have to reach to explain it. Like, how would you explain FC colonies being open air facsimiles of the nations they are created by after the relatively practical colonies in AC, UC and AW?

drrockso20 posted:

I've seen some people suggest on other sites that it will get resolved through some time travel nonsense or something, like basically using the Unicorn to retcon itself and all the other post CCA uses of Psycho Frame technology out of existence

Given that the images for the UCNext100 project Sunrise is using all feature both F91 and Victory as things they specifically want to bridge the gap towards, I very much doubt they intend to retcon them. Nor do I think Fukui would want to either, because of all the complaints that can be leveled at him, he's a big Tomino fan (Unicorn is essentially just aping a lot of Tomino's Gundam) and I doubt he'd want to wipe any of Tomino's work.

Tythas
Oct 3, 2013

Never felt at home in reality
Always hiding behind avatars

F-91 is one of the movies/ova I wish would get a second chance, the ideas it has are good and the art was amazing I just wish it got the series it was supposed to be instead of a badly cut movie

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

tsob posted:

Man that'd make for one weird technology curve in regards to flight. Physical wings in Wing > Energy Wings that can double as beam shields and beam sabers in Victory > Physical Wing Vanes in X. It'd get even weirder if you threw in Endless Waltz, where the Wing Zero would suddenly have angel wings as the most basic of the flight technology. Beam guns too, considering that Wing has handheld (well, mobile suit sized hands) colony destroying guns and swords, then the only weapon even remotely capable of that kind of firepower in V is a huge penis cannon that is it's own space station dedicated solely to powering and firing that one weapon before they'd suddenly be a handheld thing again in X. The technology in general would be all over the place no matter what you did really. Shielding would be another odd instance; where Wing has funnel like AI driven energy field shielding, then there's beam shielding in Victory and suddenly in X it's back to just basic physical shields.

G would just throw it all out the window, and while it'd look aesthetically similar, the setting and technology are so dissimilar that you'd really have to reach to explain it. Like, how would you explain FC colonies being open air facsimiles of the nations they are created by after the relatively practical colonies in AC, UC and AW?

Given that the images for the UCNext100 project Sunrise is using all feature both F91 and Victory as things they specifically want to bridge the gap towards, I very much doubt they intend to retcon them. Nor do I think Fukui would want to either, because of all the complaints that can be leveled at him, he's a big Tomino fan (Unicorn is essentially just aping a lot of Tomino's Gundam) and I doubt he'd want to wipe any of Tomino's work.

Well for said mashup part of the explanation would be that each segment is decades apart from each other(possibly centuries in regards to X and G), with various technologies gained, lost, or regained over these gaps, if I included Turn A as part of this I'd probably have it be chronologically be the earliest in the setting, and if I included F91 it would probably go somewhere between Endless Waltz and Victory

Of course since this is supposed to be a Robotech style mashup there's supposed to be aspects of it that don't make a lot of sense

Also the time travel theory is that it would only affect the stuff that happens after CCA but before F91 happens(kinda like how SRW V treats much of the first century of Gundam stuff as being a partial Black History in the Yamato/Crossbone Gundam universe)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Tythas posted:

F-91 is one of the movies/ova I wish would get a second chance, the ideas it has are good and the art was amazing I just wish it got the series it was supposed to be instead of a badly cut movie

If it had been a TV show instead of a movie, one of the two things you enjoyed wouldn't have happened because there was no way in hell it was going to look anywhere close to that good for even one episode of a full 50 episode show.

drrockso20 posted:

Well for said mashup part of the explanation would be that each segment is decades apart from each other(possibly centuries in regards to X and G), with various technologies gained, lost, or regained over these gaps, if I included Turn A as part of this I'd probably have it be chronologically be the earliest in the setting, and if I included F91 it would probably go somewhere between Endless Waltz and Victory

Why would you make the (at least at one point) last Gundam show whose entire backstory is about the loss and rise of civilization the chronologically first story in a universe about the loss and rise of technology where every other show you plan on using has nothing to do with it? Are you making it a weirdly bad mashup on purpose? Is that what making it a Robotech style mashup means, on top of having some parts that don't make sense?

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

tsob posted:

If it had been a TV show instead of a movie, one of the two things you enjoyed wouldn't have happened because there was no way in hell it was going to look anywhere close to that good for even one episode of a full 50 episode show.

Why would you make the (at least at one point) last Gundam show whose entire backstory is about the loss and rise of civilization the chronologically first story in a universe about the loss and rise of technology where every other show you plan on using has nothing to do with it? Are you making it a weirdly bad mashup on purpose? Is that what making it a Robotech style mashup means, on top of having some parts that don't make sense?

Pretty much, I mean we almost got Doozy Bots after all*

*though personally I think that concept actually could have worked with some tweaks(and a less ridiculous name)

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tsob posted:

Yes, Robotech famously mashed together Super Dimensional Fortress Macross, Super Dimension Calvary Southern Cross, and Genesis Climber Mosspeada into a bizzare amalgam that changed almost everything about their plots.

like read this synopsis if you have a passing familiarity with any of the source material

quote:

The First Robotech War (The Macross Saga) concerns humanity's discovery of a crashed alien ship and subsequent battle against a race of giant warriors called the Zentraedi, who have been sent to retrieve the ship for reasons unknown. In the course of this chapter, Earth is nearly annihilated, the Zentraedi are defeated, and humans gain knowledge of the energy source called protoculture. Humanity also learns of the Robotech Masters whose galactic empire the Zentraedi protected and patrolled.

The Second Robotech War (The Masters) focuses on the arrival in Earth orbit of the Robotech Masters, who have come seeking what turns out to be the sole means in the universe of producing protoculture. Through a combination of mistrust and arrogance, their attempts at retrieving this meet with opposition from the humans and unleash a war that leaves the Masters defeated and Earth awash in the spores of a plant called the Flower of Life—the source of protoculture and a beacon to the mysterious Invid who scour the galaxy for its presence.

The Third Robotech War (The New Generation) begins with the arrival on Earth of the Invid, who are lured by the Flower of Life and rapidly conquer the planet. References in the previous two chapters explain to viewers that many of the heroes of the First Robotech War had left Earth to seek out the Robotech Masters on a preemptive mission, and it is this Robotech Expeditionary Force that sends missions back from across the galaxy to attempt a liberation of their homeworld. The storyline follows one group of freedom fighters as they work their way towards the final battle with the Invid.

Zore fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 18, 2019

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I would hate a robotech that put Turn A in the beginning of the timeline

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Did V and X ever get a western release?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Kurieg posted:

https://www.amazon.com/Mobile-Suit-Gundam-Blu-ray-Collection/dp/B01IW8ML7Q/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=victory+Gundam&qid=1576708626&sr=8-2

https://www.amazon.com/After-War-Gu...ovies-tv&sr=1-1

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kurieg posted:

Yes, RightStuf has put out just about (if not actually) everything Gundam on DVD and Blu-Ray and they seem like they will continue to handle US releases for the foreseeable future. Things like Thunderbolt and Origin where the Japanese release had English subs and/or dubs they just redistribute that version for BR, though they will make a R1 DVD in those cases.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

drrockso20 posted:

Pretty much, I mean we almost got Doozy Bots after all*

*though personally I think that concept actually could have worked with some tweaks(and a less ridiculous name)

I can see a show about kid's becoming super heroes using power armor modeled after mobile suits or just transforming in to those mobile suits working for pretty much the same reason that Build Fighters did; get the cast right, make the setting fun and allow the writers to play with the concept and it could turn out well. I don't think the show they were lining up was anything even close to that, and was more akin to something I'd expect on CBeebies, Nick Jr etc.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
GBD: So Eldora was a backdoor from GBN into some sort of lynchpin Internet megaserver? Yeah, I can see why the cast didn't see that one coming.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Wow that's actually pretty cheap and reasonable for GX. And I'll probably have the money for V after Christmas. Thanks!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Given that the Seltsam's Diver looks to be under mind control, what do you think the odds are on it being Riku just to tie back into the first series?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I did like that this episode was kinda inversed the attitude of build fighters. A big problem with BD was that nothing felt like it mattered and the parties always knew that nothing bad would really happen since it's just a game. Even the whole deal with Sarah was with the backdrop of the worst that would happen was that a video game couldn't be played. I could forgive this with the original build fighters, since it was only a game, but at least the characters were so good that we really wanted them to succeed. Who didn't root for Felini when he got back up with wing fenice?

With Rise, Kazami treating it like a game, which to be fair, wasn't a completely unrealistic assumption of his, directly leads to a city of sentient people getting destroyed and now all communications on earth are being affected by their actions.

This was really not the direction I was expecting at the outset of the series and I'm liking it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

I did like that this episode was kinda inversed the attitude of build fighters. A big problem with BD was that nothing felt like it mattered and the parties always knew that nothing bad would really happen since it's just a game. Even the whole deal with Sarah was with the backdrop of the worst that would happen was that a video game couldn't be played. I could forgive this with the original build fighters, since it was only a game, but at least the characters were so good that we really wanted them to succeed. Who didn't root for Felini when he got back up with wing fenice?

With Rise, Kazami treating it like a game, which to be fair, wasn't a completely unrealistic assumption of his, directly leads to a city of sentient people getting destroyed and now all communications on earth are being affected by their actions.

This was really not the direction I was expecting at the outset of the series and I'm liking it.

The show has been pretty so-so overall, but driving it into Kazami once and for all that no it isn't a game you idiot was a legit great scene as it all sinks in for him.

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

What's up with Gundam Moon? They released a really massive complex gunpla for it which must have had a massive tooling cost, a purple Sazabi has just been announced as P-Bandai, but afaict there have been a total of 6 chapters of the manga since 2017? Am I missing something?

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Big Bad Beetleborg posted:

What's up with Gundam Moon? They released a really massive complex gunpla for it which must have had a massive tooling cost, a purple Sazabi has just been announced as P-Bandai, but afaict there have been a total of 6 chapters of the manga since 2017? Am I missing something?

There have been four collected volumes released so far. So unless each of those volumes is only 1 and a half chapters long, you're missing something.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Kurieg posted:

Wow that's actually pretty cheap and reasonable for GX. And I'll probably have the money for V after Christmas. Thanks!

There's supposed to be a US Blu-Ray set out for Gundam X in 2020, I believe.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

I said earlier that all I wanted from Re Rise was a redemption arc for the Gaza Brothers. And it delivered. I've decided that all I want from the second cour is a scene where May builds a Gunpla the size of herself, using tools that are normal size to us but comically oversized to her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

ReRise alternating between character-oriented and action-oriented episodes was a pretty good decision. It gives them time to plan out fight choreography and save the budget to make it look good too.

We already knew Jed was a dead man walking thanks to all the character spotlight on him, but the way he tried to shield the kids in vain reminded me of that part in Macross where the Zentradi bombarded the Earth with lasers and a soldier also tried to protect a kid. I like how they managed to sell just how powerful the satellite's blast is by the shockwaves spreading out so far and still causing so much damage.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The show has been pretty so-so overall, but driving it into Kazami once and for all that no it isn't a game you idiot was a legit great scene as it all sinks in for him.

I appreciate their restraint in not having Kazami go "Wait, but I told the AI about Seguri!" The expression of dawning horror on his face pretty much said he was thinking about it.