Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

That one's bullshit. It's minimally three or four separate interactions to get from the photo view to actually sending it to a specific person. No way does your phone accidentally do all of those in your pocket before the screen shuts off. If it was the exact same story except the guy "accidentally" sent a picture of his dick to his female co-worker, everyone would be calling him out.

It really reads like it's an attempted "tripped and fell dick-first" sort of retroactive justification. He might have e.g. accidentally texted it to the wrong person or something but there was definitely more intent involved than he's letting on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Sagebrush posted:

That one's bullshit. It's minimally three or four separate interactions to get from the photo view to actually sending it to a specific person. No way does your phone accidentally do all of those in your pocket before the screen shuts off. If it was the exact same story except the guy "accidentally" sent a picture of his dick to his female co-worker, everyone would be calling him out.

normally I'd agree with you, but a couple weeks ago fate stepped in and sent a bunch of pictures of the inside of my pocket to the last person i texted

i want to believe

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Play posted:

I don't believe you'd actually do that. You'd quiet down once I made it clear I"m not putting it up, ever. And if you didn't I'd sic the flight attendants on you

What are the flight attendants gonna do? You're just making it a politeness competition then, and the one who can convince the flight attendant they're the most reasonable wins.

'Im sorry, I dont mean to, it's just with his seat reclined my knees happen to be hitting the back. I'm trying ever so hard to be polite! If he put his seat up, he would be able to be comfortable.'

Then as soon as she's turned, my knees return to their position digging into your spine and kicking your kidneys. Sometimes I might take off my shoes and socks just to make some quick gross appearances for ya, before you have time to get anyone to handle it but enough time to really be nasty. I might also stand up to 'go to the bathroom' and then fart straight on your loving head with glee, or spill my drink on you 'standing up'.

If we're trapped here together and you decide to make my time difficult, I will spent the entire journey thinking of creative ways to gently caress with you in kind. At least it gives me something to do to pass the time.

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong here, but that there's no 'One Way' and if you ignore the requests of the people around you because beep boop 'you can recline the seat so it means you're allowed', you're the rear end in a top hat who deserves whatever they get.

The essence of dealing with people is listening and negotiating with them to get along together. If you decide not to even do that bare minimum bc I Can Press Button, go gently caress yaself.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 17, 2019

Pinecone Sample
Oct 12, 2010

THIS ACCOUNT HAS BEEN SEIZED
by the United States Federal Bureau of Investigation in accordance with a seizure warrant issued pursuant to 69 U.S.C Sec. 420

The Bramble posted:

My (28f) boyfriend (32m) has this one Christmas tradition I disagree with

At least he gave the award to his stepson? No, no. That doesn't make it any better...

I was waiting for grandpa's wooden buttplug tree to win

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

My ex boyfriend just asked for an old sex toy back to re gift to his new girlfriend. [all mid 20s]

Soooo he bought us a long distance vibrator shortly before we broke up last may. It's been at my place (I haven't been able to find it but I haven't looked that hard either). He has just texted me asking for it back because he's dating somebody new, she's going away for the holidays, he wants to use it with her, and he "assumes I haven't used it myself". We never used it so I guess it's still kind of new, although it's very much unwrapped and clearly not actually new. The thing is, he lied to me for our entire relationship (a year and a half) about basically his entire life, so I think it's safe to assume he wouldn't tell her it was ours. For now I've told him that I can't find it, and also that it's rude to re gift an old sex toy from a previous relationship. I mean, that poor girl. I guess I just want some external opinions. This is hella weird, right?

tldr ex boyfriend wants our old sex toy for his new girl, weird or not?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Smirking_Serpent posted:

My ex boyfriend just asked for an old sex toy back to re gift to his new girlfriend. [all mid 20s]

This is hella weird, right?

Hella.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

StrangersInTheNight posted:

What are the flight attendants gonna do? You're just making it a politeness competition then, and the one who can convince the flight attendant they're the most reasonable wins.

'Im sorry, I dont mean to, it's just with his seat reclined my knees happen to be hitting the back. I'm trying ever so hard to be polite! If he put his seat up, he would be able to be comfortable.'

Then as soon as she's turned, my knees return to their position digging into your spine and kicking your kidneys. Sometimes I might take off my shoes and socks just to make some quick gross appearances for ya, before you have time to get anyone to handle it but enough time to really be nasty. I might also stand up to 'go to the bathroom' and then fart straight on your loving head with glee, or spill my drink on you 'standing up'.

If we're trapped here together and you decide to make my time difficult, I will spent the entire journey thinking of creative ways to gently caress with you in kind. At least it gives me something to do to pass the time.

I'm not saying there's a right or wrong here, but that there's no 'One Way' and if you ignore the requests of the people around you because beep boop 'you can recline the seat so it means you're allowed', you're the rear end in a top hat who deserves whatever they get.

The essence of dealing with people is listening and negotiating with them to get along together. If you decide not to even do that bare minimum bc I Can Press Button, go gently caress yaself.

You sound like a healthy individual.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

MarcusSA posted:

Not really an rear end in a top hat because you don’t owe them anything but like it would have blown over eventually.

The only thing blown is the dude's rear end in a top hat.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Danaru posted:

Ok boomer

Johnny Truant posted:

your tone absolutely drips with

also very telling that you think something other than getting your chair kicked even more would happen after you snitched on a person to a flight attendant, lol

Please calm down guys, I'd say failing to understand a clear joke (sic the flight attendant on you? seriously?) is pretty drat boomer. That was meant to be the most obvious troll but apparently it wasn't obvious enough

It's funny because I hardly ever put my seat back, only on long long flights, all I'm talking about is whether it's a normal thing to do. I think it is, because I see most people doing it on almost every flight I take. I just flew from Thailand last week and I wouldn't be surprised if every single person had their seat back at one time or another. That's all I'm trying to figure out, and I'd say so far it's about an even split between people like me who see everyone doing it and people who seem to think it's some kind of forbidden maneuver. I'm really confused at the variation there

Also I know you almost certainly don't do poo poo when the person in front of you puts their seat down, except have power fantasies about kicking the seat like a child that you can post on something awful later. People are acting like throwing a tantrum is the ADULT way to handle it when my recommendation is to simply deal with it because it WILL happen regardless

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Just lol if you don't immediately start giving a head massage to whomever reclines their seat into your lap.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Play posted:

Please calm down guys, I'd say failing to understand a clear joke (sic the flight attendant on you? seriously?) is pretty drat boomer. That was meant to be the most obvious troll but apparently it wasn't obvious enough

It's funny because I hardly ever put my seat back, only on long long flights, all I'm talking about is whether it's a normal thing to do. I think it is, because I see most people doing it on almost every flight I take. I just flew from Thailand last week and I wouldn't be surprised if every single person had their seat back at one time or another. That's all I'm trying to figure out, and I'd say so far it's about an even split between people like me who see everyone doing it and people who seem to think it's some kind of forbidden maneuver. I'm really confused at the variation there

Also I know you almost certainly don't do poo poo when the person in front of you puts their seat down, except have power fantasies about kicking the seat like a child that you can post on something awful later. People are acting like throwing a tantrum is the ADULT way to handle it when my recommendation is to simply deal with it because it WILL happen regardless

flights over asia everyone puts their seat back no question

in flights over NA it's hit or miss but depends on length. At the end of the day, i'll put my seat down if i want to and that's really the long and short of it.

put on some headphones pop a cap of thc before security and sleep your way through the miserable clouds

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Remember when internet tough guys would tell elaborate stories about using karate on muggers rather than being super passive aggressive on planes? Those were the days.

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.
Might as well lean back that seat now before airlines start having a "Standing Room Only" section and you have to pay extra for the luxury of sitting down.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

just fly your own plane, god. i can slide the seat back and forth and stick my legs all the way forwards and stretch my ankles against the toe brakes and even open the window for a breeze. plus i get to choose where i go and there's no TSA. buncha plebs

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Oh yeah? Try it, tall-y. I'd get up so fast that in your confusion and fear you'd hit your mile-high head on the overhead storage compartment, dazing you and opening the compartment of precarious luggage that would strike you down. That would give me the opportunity to open every compartment the entire length of the plane, rending your height a handicap as you could no longer navigate without hunching over. Enraged, you'd try to attack me but your gangly limbs would no longer be able to fit in the confined space and I'd easily dodge you as you trip, legs akimbo. You think you own this plane? Think again, kiddo. You thought this was the flight deck but it's the fight deck and you've already loving lost.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

no discussion about the landlord evicting someone in december because he needs more room to host a dinner party? My jimmies are certainly rustled

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Biplane posted:

no discussion about the landlord evicting someone in december because he needs more room to host a dinner party? My jimmies are certainly rustled

He didn't even go through the eviction process! He just changed the locks because he's too busy for courts and stuff.

Every reply is telling him to get ready for jail.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Dear Reddit, is it unlawful to evict someone without a legal process?

Sincerely,

Some Idiot

P.S. Also, is it unlawful to just take someones stuff because i'm too busy to purchase it? REALLY need to get this christmas done.
P.P.S. Do you actually have to pay lawyers? I'm a little busy for that right now with all these court cases. God bless & Merry christmas

TheDeadlyShoe fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Dec 17, 2019

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

when you google the title of that post, the first result is the post itself, and every other result is an article saying "Don't lock your tenants out -- it is always illegal"

lomarf. i hope he goes to prison and his assets are given to the tenant

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Biplane posted:

the ones that get discussion are the ones that have a moral grey area that can spur debate

this one is just like "I'm a criminally stupid landlord who illegally evicted a family in the winter before Christmas for my own idiotic needs (not even a profit motive). Advice?"

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Biplane posted:

The reddit post already had the best comment possible.

quote:

You may need the advice of 3 ghosts

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Dear tall people,

Please accept that we live in a capitalist hellscape and you are now obliged to spend $25 or $50 more to live in the "comfort plus" zone of the cabin, which is where there is extra legroom to return us to the halcyon days of the early 1990s, so that your kneecaps don't break. If you don't have enough money for this, but do have enough money to fly, I am deeply confused.

Sincerely,
An rear end in a top hat resigned to living in a world where we pay extra money for comfort.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I'm a Man Who Absolutely Loves Musical Theater. Could I Be Secretly Gay?

quote:

Dear How to Do It,

I’m a straight cis guy in my early 30s … I think. I was inspired to write in because of a letter you answered a while back that stuck with me. The question had to do with a guy who claimed he was straight, but got turned on by men’s locker rooms, and in your response you wrote that this guy might not be as straight as he thinks he is. That made sense to me. Being turned on by other naked men is definitionally queer. That guy has good reason to question his straightness.

On to me. I didn’t really think I had good reason to question my own straightness, but here’s the thing: I love musical theater. And musical theater fandom (and more broadly, an affinity for all sorts of camp and pageantry) is not the only quality I have that reads as gay. For some reason I trigger other people’s gaydar on a not-infrequent basis. I don’t think it’s my fashion, which is conservative; or my speech, which does not lisp; or my mannerisms, which aren’t flamboyant; but I seem to give off that vibe nonetheless. Being read as gay does not bother me, but it does have me asking questions as to why I give off that vibe. I’m not gay, but maybe I really do I have a kind of queerness that people are responding to?

My history with sex and dating is limited to women but also just limited in general. I’ve never had a serious long-term romantic relationship. In the dating I have done, I’ve never made the first move. In the past I’ve attributed this to anxiety, and while I’m a generally anxious person, it’s always been something I’m able to manage in pursuit of my goals. The truth is I’ve just never been that driven to pursue sex and relationships. I don’t think that makes me asexual, though.

I guess my question here is, do you think this might actually be worth exploring further or would I just be wasting my energy? If I was any kind of queer, I would know that about myself by now, right? Also, if I do continue to explore these questions further, how does one even go about doing that?

—525,600 Questions

It's true, every time you watch Oklahoma! you have to suck off your nearest guy friend. It's the law.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

DemoneeHo posted:

It's true, every time you watch Oklahoma! you have to suck off your nearest guy friend. It's the law.

Between this and the guy who isn't sure if he should tell his girlfriend that he's seeing sex workers it's been a banner week for morons.

FormaldehydeSon
Oct 1, 2011

With all the hilarious holiday stories being posted I would never have guessed reclining seats would be the New Derail. What a world we live in.

quote:

How Do I (19M) Change My Cat's (1M) Name After A Breakup Without Suspicion? And What To?

I didn't really want this cat to begin with. I was in an abusive relationship with a girl (21F) for the past year and a half, and upon me mentioning cats were cute, we were suddenly at the animal shelter, adopting one. I didn't want a kitten, but she did, so we got a kitten.

He is now about to reach his first birthday. I was the one who paid his adoption fee and vet bills, but she always said he was "our" baby. While dating, she used him to manipulate me if I ever expressed wanting to break up, saying the cat needed her. I finally got the balls to leave her in November, and she reacted extremely poorly. Told me the cat was my problem now and blocked me.

At first, I considered surrendering him, still thinking she was right.I've come around to being a "cat dad" then, and now know I can take care of him on my own.

The problem lies here: I absolutely hate his name. She chose it. All my friends know him as this. I didn't talk much to my friends about why we broke up, as I'm a pretty private person, and didn't want them to know all of the stuff I went through. All I can think of when I hear his name is my ex, and so I know I need to change it, but...

How do I casually tell my friends I changed my cat's name in a way so I don't have to talk about my ex? Also, how the gently caress do I choose a cat name? I am extremely uncreative and so don't even know where to begin looking for one. For the past month, I've just been calling him "Hey".

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the people who insist that you aren't supposed to recline your seat are also the ones who under-report their overtime because the company says it's really struggling this year and it would really help them to not have to pay as much

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Actually the airlines have weighed in on this by banning those seat recliner lockout things.

If you have a seat that reclines, recline at will.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

the people who insist that you aren't supposed to recline your seat are also the ones who under-report their overtime because the company says it's really struggling this year and it would really help them to not have to pay as much

You're not loving over the company overlords, you're loving over your fellow man. So there is sort of a difference.

I don't have a leg in this race though, since I am wonderfully short but also a woman so I don't have to worry about my masculinity being lesser somehow.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Reclining in an airplane seat sucks though, you hardly get a change of angle. Might as well get a neck pillow and stay upright, you'll get the same effect.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

DemoneeHo posted:

I was leaning toward "straight man with unconventional interests and low sex drive" until the signature.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Dazerbeams posted:

You're not loving over the company overlords, you're loving over your fellow man. So there is sort of a difference.

I don't have a leg in this race though, since I am wonderfully short but also a woman so I don't have to worry about my masculinity being lesser somehow.

the company overlords are loving you all over by making the seats inhumanly small. if you argue that you aren't supposed to recline your seat, you're turning the frustration into an attack on your fellow man instead of rightfully directing it at the airline. people piss and moan about ThE SoCiAL cOnTrAcT and the airline beatifically avoids any blame. don't be fooled.

recline your seat all the way back the moment that light goes off. take everything you are afforded.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Arcturas posted:

Dear tall people,

Please accept that we live in a capitalist hellscape and you are now obliged to spend $25 or $50 more to live in the "comfort plus" zone of the cabin, which is where there is extra legroom to return us to the halcyon days of the early 1990s, so that your kneecaps don't break. If you don't have enough money for this, but do have enough money to fly, I am deeply confused.

Sincerely,
An rear end in a top hat resigned to living in a world where we pay extra money for comfort.

where do you live that going from a cramped, coffin-like space as a seat to something with more legroom isnt hundreds if not thousands of dollars more expensive

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

FormaldehydeSon posted:

quote:

cat name
Good news, his name is Hey now :kimchi:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Toilet Rascal

Biplane posted:

where do you live that going from a cramped, coffin-like space as a seat to something with more legroom isnt hundreds if not thousands of dollars more expensive

Paying $25-50 extra gets you a coach seat next to an emergency exit hatch, which has a few inches more legroom. The airlines realized they could monetize this a few years ago.

Comfort Plus is a seat class upgrade and much more expensive.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

haveblue posted:

Paying $25-50 extra gets you a coach seat next to an emergency exit hatch, which has a few inches more legroom. The airlines realized they could monetize this a few years ago.

Comfort Plus is a seat class upgrade and much more expensive.

Maybe I'm getting the moniker wrong, but on ordinary Delta flights from SF to Denver, or SLC to Minneapolis, I can pay $25 or $50 to move to the front half of the cabin and get 2-3 inches of extra leg room. It's not a business-class upgrade costing hundreds of dollars like I'd have to spend on an international/intercontinental flight, and it's not first class.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm 6'2", recline at will person ahead of me. We're all in this together and you paid for a seat same as I did. Taking out my frustration at uncomfortable travel arrangements on fellow passengers makes as much sense as skipping out on the tip at a restaurant because I make minimum wage too. Also the guy who said he'd dump his drink on you and fart in your face is a complete psychopath and I hope he gets to explain his reasoning to the police that meet him at the gate when the flight takes an emergency stop over an unruly passenger.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
Also united economy plus is $65 if you are so emotionally unstable that it is worth getting in a fight with someone for spilling a drink on them intentionally then you might want to consider that

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
are we seriously recommending people buy the nickle and dime upgrade options

gently caress none of y'all know how to travel

65 bucks is often 10% or more of the cost. and even then its still sixty five bucks!

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
We've done it, we've found the most tedious derail.

e: If I recline my seat while the plane is taking off from the treadmill, do I tip the captain 10% or 9.999999999%? It makes a difference to me because I'm trying to save up enough money to pay for a reasonably priced wedding, which is hard to do on a six-figure salary.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

The Iron Rose posted:

are we seriously recommending people buy the nickle and dime upgrade options

gently caress none of y'all know how to travel

65 bucks is often 10% or more of the cost. and even then its still sixty five bucks!

Yeah wtf is wrong with you people!