Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm not sure I follow, like a standard monopod to plant it on the ground? I have one for the camera, is it compatible with the screw that attached the base of the gimbal? Why would I use a monopod, isn't a gimbal fundamentally just for stabilizing moving shots?

Pretty sure I saw someone with of these for the first time this weekend. It had a monopod on it and he was doing walking crowd shots. At a glance the camera looked extremely stable and it seemed a lot easier to manage with the monopod on it than without. One hopes the screws are the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

I bought a box with funny looking metal pieces sticking out of it. Is this one of those CIA mind control things I've heard of?

Jefinabox
Jun 26, 2007

GWBBQ posted:

I bought a box with funny looking metal pieces sticking out of it. Is this one of those CIA mind control things I've heard of?

weeeoooowaaaaweeeeeoooowwiiiiiiiiiii

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I was always a book person until last year I bought a Kindle Paperwhite and switched over to electronic books only. I do most of my reading in bed before I go to sleep and the Kindle is very light, and also easy for me to adjust text size for my old person eyes. I like that my bookmarks are stored so I can pull books up on my iPhone or the PC Kindle software and pick up where I left off.

Before the used bookstores in my area shut down I sold my books when I was done with them so it's not like I was building a personal library. Switching to ebooks has been nothing but an improvement for me. I still have my very small collection of books that I love (two or three shelves) but that's enough for me.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I read zero books a year.

Making me the victor.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Aramek posted:

Making me the victor.

I am competely illiterate and cannot read or write anything.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Aramek posted:

I’m sorry to hear this

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

H110Hawk posted:

Pretty sure I saw someone with of these for the first time this weekend. It had a monopod on it and he was doing walking crowd shots. At a glance the camera looked extremely stable and it seemed a lot easier to manage with the monopod on it than without. One hopes the screws are the same.

Right, I immediately imagined what you're talking about after responding. I wonder if my monopod is strong enough, maybe I'll look into a sturdier one with a grip near the bottom. I could even attach the Atomos monitor near the base for better monitoring. Thanks!

Comedy option: My featherweight graphite boom microphone pole.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Casioes! DW-5900 and VDB-200 respectively.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The one on the left is a Lefton, the one on the right is a Relpo. I have the soul of a tacky old broad from the 50s. I love head vases.

LadyPictureShow has a new favorite as of 20:35 on Dec 18, 2019

lookslikerain
Jan 10, 2014

If you find yourself in a social situation, make threats.

GWBBQ posted:

Cool!

But that wall bothers me.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

lookslikerain posted:

Cool!

But that wall bothers me.

Need to move the theremin so it's not blocking the picture as well.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?

GWBBQ posted:

Not trying to shop shame but most people spring for the badger edition.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Mister Speaker posted:

I'm not sure I follow, like a standard monopod to plant it on the ground? I have one for the camera, is it compatible with the screw that attached the base of the gimbal? Why would I use a monopod, isn't a gimbal fundamentally just for stabilizing moving shots?

Camera is a Nikon Z6. I've got the Nikkor 24-70mm f/4 attached here, but I've also got a 50mm f/1.8, a 70-300mm telephoto F-mount of some kind (it's my Mom's) and you can see in the pic I got that 8mm cine fisheye, but I'm going to return it because I mistakenly bought one for a crop sensor because I'm a gigantic dumbass. You can see the 24-70 and the zoom motor, Rotolight, Rode shotgun mic and Atomos Ninja V recorder/monitor attached here via a SmallRig... it shouldn't be too heavy but it was REALLY hard to balance the gimbal and I was getting some overheat messages... This is going to be quite the learning experience.

Especially with a load like that, the monopod gives you a bit more to hold on to, plus you can use it to lift the whole thing up high for faux crane shots or get it really low to the ground without killing your back. The screw mount on the bottom should be a standard 1/4” screw so it’ll go onto any tripod type deal

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I bought a gun part

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Thufir posted:

I bought a gun part

Gun part for the pain cave!

scourgeofthe7bees
Jun 21, 2008

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I'm sorry are there seriously still people tilting at the e-book windmill in 2019?

Like if you prefer the feel of paper fine, so be it, but if you're buying/reading 50+ books a year that's cutting down almost a whole tree.

By the time you read your 20th or so book the carbon offset from the manufacture of the e-book reader has paid for itself versus buying a new book.

Water use pays off even more quickly - repaying the manufacture of the device in approximately 12 books read.

The operation electricity costs are trivial.

That and the thing is portable, holds thousands of books and works great.

If only there were a way to read a real book without buying it... a communal collection of books perhaps... where a person could borrow, read, and return.... no no I’m being dumb, better to get a gadget built with rare materials and slave labor

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Thufir posted:

I bought a gun part

riding on a trainer makes me wanna put a gun in my mouth, so this checks out

edit:
speaking of bikes, I bought this one yesterday

(not my picture, but same bike)

XIII has a new favorite as of 22:34 on Dec 19, 2019

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

scourgeofthe7bees posted:

no no I’m being dumb

No argument here

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

XIII posted:

riding on a trainer makes me wanna put a gun in my mouth, so this checks out

edit:
speaking of bikes, I bought this one yesterday

(not my picture, but same bike)

I don't know much about bikes, but that's a pretty neat bike.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I don't know much about bikes, but that's a pretty neat bike.

What brand? I can't really make it out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Salsa. They make rad off road adventure bikes

colas
Feb 14, 2007

people love to say salsa

colas
Feb 14, 2007

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

This looks very interesting, please come back with a trip report. I rarely drink whiskey but I love peanut butter so I might try this.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

I would never buy this. I just kept hearing/reading that it was actually good so why not. I'm wondering what cocktails could be made. I usually just drink bourbon and irish.

edit - it's a peanut butter liqueur, I didn't taste any whiskey. It was sweeter than I expected but vanilla, apple, and other whiskeys are also sweet. It's def. for mixing. Good peanut butter flavor if you're into that.

colas has a new favorite as of 02:15 on Dec 20, 2019

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

colas posted:

I would never buy this. I just kept hearing/reading that it was actually good so why not. I'm wondering what cocktails could be made. I usually just drink bourbon and irish.

edit - it's a peanut butter liqueur, I didn't taste any whiskey. It was sweeter than I expected but vanilla, apple, and other whiskeys are also sweet. It's def. for mixing. Good peanut butter flavor if you're into that.

Mix it with chocolate flavored vodka and call it a Peanutbutter Glug.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

It's this. It translates to "future ER visit"

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

Night Danger Moose posted:

This looks very interesting, please come back with a trip report. I rarely drink whiskey but I love peanut butter so I might try this.

It's amazing, especially chilled and served on the rocks. I haven't tried to mix it with anything else yet but that may change this weekend.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
It's not a done deal yet, but if it checks out, it'll be my latest purchase.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

His Divine Shadow posted:

A clapped out Bridgeport? Nice.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

His Divine Shadow posted:

H.E.L.P.eR.?

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

mobby_6kl posted:

A clapped out Bridgeport? Nice.

No it's a drill press. Madein Sweden by Arboga. My clapped out mill is a deckel.

colas
Feb 14, 2007

duffmensch posted:

It's amazing, especially chilled and served on the rocks. I haven't tried to mix it with anything else yet but that may change this weekend.

It's p good on ice. I was looking for chocolate flavored soda to mix it with but...little choc milk, shake shake, reese-tini maybe instead.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

colas posted:

It's p good on ice. I was looking for chocolate flavored soda to mix it with but...little choc milk, shake shake, reese-tini maybe instead.

Do you have a soda stream?
You can make chocolate soda really easily. I highly recommend it.

AFStealth
Jun 24, 2006

Shut up baby, I know it

duffmensch posted:

Even better in some coffee

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

AFStealth posted:

Even better in some coffee

I like your thinking, but I have to go buy more first (thankfully Costco carries it here :D)

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Got myself an Xmas present.

5.5 quart enameled cast iron Dutch oven. The 5.0, 5.5, and 7.0 were all the same price. But the 5.5 was the enameled one.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Trip report! Turns out chunky chili mac sucks.

Yes, but the Chili Mac pizza I bought for lunch was excellent:

Also bought some mortars for the holiday weekend down at my buddy’s cabin:

One of which resulted in a spectacular failure to launch:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I’m a huge fan of that pizza, where’s it from?