Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Taintrunner posted:

Understanding what the gently caress is going on in the Sequel Trilogy requires reading a significant amount of outside material. This is by design. To throw your hands in the air and go "nuh-uh!" is refusing to engage with the media on its own terms. ROTS came out after this critical piece of the story, and by the rules of the people who made these movies - it counts. Sorry!

Precisely. Thank you.

you know what canon is whatever you want it to be
heres mine: kotor I-II and the original trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
There isn’t even a Yub Nub in this.

Shameful.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Wired: Del Toro and Winding Refn co-direct a trilogy written by Kojima

gently caress yeah

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Shaocaholica posted:

Wait Disney fired him from EP9 because of the poor reception of BOH?

He also waited Luke alive in Episode 9.

No Mods No Masters posted:

Man, how bad must matt smith have been to get completely edited out of this movie

There is no goddamn way this film wasn't heavily, heavily rewritten, recut, re-edited, and so on. Just look at that garbage ending! I've seen suggestions he was Rey's dad to that 'he's Young Palpatine' rumor which got changed and cut when they got Ian McDiarmid in. McDiarmid was apparently only contacted about being in Episode 9 a year ago.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
I mean I guess the final thesis statement of Star Wars is "Literally everything in life is owed to Sheev, and if you aren't related to him you don't matter.".

Also minorities aren't real, they can't hurt you or suck each other off.

Mulva fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 19, 2019

garycoleisgod
Sep 27, 2004
Boo

riseofmydick posted:

People keep saying there's no one that could have directed these films well and they also keep bringing up different directors but I have yet to hear someone mention Christopher Nolan, Peter Jackson or Matt Reeves.

When Disney bought Star Wars back in 2012 they talked to roughly 20 filmmakers about what they would do with it. Obviously JJ got the job, but Nolan and Tarantino (?!) were among the people they talked too. Whether they (Nolan etc) didn't want to do it, or Disney didn't like what they pitched is :shrug:

Nolan has been open about wanting to do a Bond film and you would think that would be great, but he hasn't ever got the job. Rumor is because the Broccoli's don't like directors who have minds of their own, so Nolan isn't their cup of tea, maybe Disney is the same?

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

euphronius posted:

So the thing with her being palpatines granddaughter isn’t in the movie?

https://streamable.com/bv81l

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
It owns that they did reshoots for this movie like last month

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My Star Wars canon is what the gently caress ever because Star Wars is impossible to take seriously. It is not a serious franchise in any way, it is braindead commercial and moronic and has been for over forty years. It does not matter. If there's a lot of pew pew lightsaber, it is a Good Enough Star Wars Movie, because Star Wars is not and cannot be anything more than that.

Make Battlefront 2's Starfighter Assault into a full-fledged game in its own right and gently caress off. That's all I want out of Star Wars.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

"You...are a Palpatine."

cough cough

Barudak
May 7, 2007

There is no way they keep those other Star Wars films on the schedule

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Barudak posted:

I thought they already shelved all of them ?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Barudak posted:

There's no way more movies are happening after this.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
I am having extreme trouble getting over the first five minutes of the film.

Opening crawl
Space establishing shot
Slow-motion scene of Kylo killing people
Kylo finds a pyramid
Kylo flies through a red nebula
Kylo comes to a spooky planet
Kylo explores the spooky planet
Palpatine talks to Kylo, says he made Snoke
Kylo sees Snoke clones
Kylo finds Palpatine
Kylo and Palpatine talk

The pacing is absurd.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

"You...are a Palpatine."

cough cough

It's so perfect

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

YaketySass posted:

Maybe Mara Jade, Revan and the alien bunny dude could be there too.

no handmaiden no buys

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

theblackw0lf posted:

3. Rey, realizing that her affinity in the force doesn't come from any special heritage, means that far more people can become strong in the force than previously assumed. She beings to spread word of this more democratization in the force and inspires and trains a new form of Jedi, maybe guided by Leia and ghost skywalker,.

Seriously, am I the only one who remembers that there were hundreds of non-Skywalker jedi? "Democratizing the force" makes absolutely no sense because it was literally always like that. Yoda and Mace Windu didn't have any magical Skywalker heritage. gently caress, even within the sequels Luke had a jedi academy with students that presumably weren't his relatives. This was always one of the most annoying things about the Last Jedi, it thought it was being so smart for solving a problem that didn't actually exist!

...and then TROS chucked the whole "Rey is a nobody" idea in the garbage anyway lol get hosed Rian

Asgerd fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 19, 2019

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
guess all of the PR about loving Rian Johnson's movie was horseshit huh. Behind the scenes they were scrambling to undo everything he tried for lol

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

If you care about Star Wars, the movie sucks. If you don't care about Star Wars but just want to see some fun action and fandom bait you can gush about on Twitter and Instagram, the movie's great.

Asgerd posted:

Seriously, am I the only only one who remembers that there were hundreds of non-Skywalker jedi? "Democratizing the force" makes absolutely no sense because it was literally always like that. Yoda and Mace Windu didn't have any magical Skywalker heritage. gently caress, even within the sequels Luke had a jedi academy with students that presumably weren't his relatives. This was always one of the most annoying things about the Last Jedi, it thought it was being so smart for solving a problem that didn't actually exist!

...and then TROS chucked the whole "Rey is a nobody" idea in the garbage anyway lol get hosed Rian

Just add force users that aren't Jedi, using the force doesn't make you a Jedi and the Jedi suck anyway.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

theblackw0lf posted:

1. One of the central thrusts of TLJ was that the resistance had to survive to inspire their allies to take up the fight. While it ends with the resistance decimated, we see the stories of heroism of Luke and others being passed down, which seemed to suggest that the next movie picks up with allies reaching out and joining the fight.

2. Kylo Ren is impatient and immature, and there are many reasons to think him leading the First Order could be disastrous. Also it could lead to infighting as others in the FO sense his weakness and try to overthrow him, causing more chaos in the FO, and making it easier to defeat.

3. Rey, realizing that her affinity in the force doesn't come from any special heritage, means that far more people can become strong in the force than previously assumed. She beings to spread word of this more democratization in the force and inspires and trains a new form of Jedi, maybe guided by Leia and ghost skywalker,.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

But what is Rey's arc in the third movie? She and Finn feel like completed characters at the end of TLJ, they don't end with any clear flaws or doubts so it seems like whatever follows will just be them "doing stuff." I think that's what I posted shortly after it came out, that seemingly all that's left is for out main characters to do is to fight the titular "star war", which is kind of boring.

I'd also push back on the idea (which has been written about a lot) that TLJ "democratizes" the Force. Where has it ever been established that your parents have to be someone important to be a Jedi? Who were Obi-Wan's parents? Who were Yoda's? The prequels and even the OT established that the force could be strong with anyone. An old man. A 27 inch tall green guy. A librarian.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

lmao at people just straight up pirating the entire movie.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
the force is democratic now because everyone's a palpatine and palpatine said that he loves democracy

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
It's not about being a jedi it's about being The Chosen One.

Yoda is a support character who exists to help Luke, The Chosen One. Same with obi wan etc.

I didn't like TLJ but the core theme of bringing it back to truly humble origins was something that worked. It's incredibly funny that they chucked it all in the bin

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Zoran posted:

Went searching for anyone writing about who directed particular scenes in ROTJ and came across this funny article

Funny because one of the reasons Empire almost didn't get finished (at least not without Lucas having to surrender control to 20th Century Fox) is precisely because Kurtz was a pathological introvert/pushover who basically never even interacted with Kershner, and as a result Kershner was constantly running into problems because he didn't know how to adapt his plodding, improvisational style with the practical realities of making a big budget special effects movie. The production only got back on track after Lucas fired Kurtz, flew over himself to supervise the production, and told Kershner to start shooting overall master shots for every scene--even if he ultimately wasn't going to use them--so everyone on the set wouldn't be in a constant state of confusion about what they were doing at any given moment.

Kurtz always liked to make it sound like it was him and Kershner together, down in the trenches fighting against a tyrannical, penny-pinching executive producer who just didn't care about the quality of the film. Here's the reality:

The Making of Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back posted:

“Gary didn’t form a relationship with Kershner,” Watts says. “He didn’t establish the relationship between producer and director—and that’s the most important one of the production. His heart was in the right place, but he wasn’t good with people. When you’re producing, you need to be able to talk to every type of person; I think the skill of producing is being able to do that. His personality, however, is such that some people, I think, find it a little difficult because he is, I suppose introverted is the right word. I do believe that I’m quite good with people and I think that has to be a plus in these circumstances, because certainly Gary does not have the common touch.”

“I didn’t really work with Gary that much,” says Kershner. “I worked with the production people mostly and he was back there working with them, I guess. I didn’t think of Gary as an actual part of the production manager team. He was sort of involved in some kind of a supervisorial way. I had a very friendly relationship with him and that’s about it.”

In contrast, here's what Kershner had to say about Lucas's involvement:

quote:

“I found that there was really no problem except I worried whether he wouldn’t get an ulcer standing there,” Kershner says. “George said, ‘No, no, I’m fine.’ I would find it very difficult to stand on someone else’s set for a whole day and watch, but he was always complimentary. He would constantly be supportive. He was really staying there because he was interested and he loves being around a film being shot, especially this one. Also, these characters are familiar; they’re old friends. They’re like parts of his dreams that are manifest. There was no problem having George here and that surprised me: I thought there would be.”

“When Kersh was shooting, George would be over his shoulder whispering this and that,” Johnson says. “Kersh did not always agree, so two versions were shot.”

“I told George I couldn’t work if he would be looking over my shoulder all the time. After all, I had done time with Jon Peters,” Kerhsner adds, referring to the producer of The Eyes of Laura Mars. “George does not stand over me and he’s really, as he says, here to help. He’s changed the storyboard for me, he’s taken care of parts of the script that needed compressing, he’s someone to talk to when I have a little problem—and I get an immediate answer, which is good.”

So, essentially, Lucas actually was pretty involved in supervising Kershner and revising things that needed to be revised, but doing so in a way where he wasn't being overbearing.

And in terms of Lucas's overall influence on the film, here's what Joe Johnston, the storyboard artist who worked with Lucas to plan the visual direction of the movie, had to say:

quote:

Kershner’s directorial contribution was “enormous,” according to Johnson, “He developed the characters as he went along, and even George Lucas says that he did a better job with the actors. But, ultimately, it’s Lucas’s vision. He designed and wrote the film, and directed the special effects in California. Lucas created the storyboards, so we would have a guide of what each shot should look like. Kersh made some changes, but it was George’s picture: No one can doubt that the movie is stamped with his personality.”

Pretty much everything Kurtz ever said about the situation on Empire was complete bullshit, and while it's true that Lucas had the least involvement with Empire, very technically speaking, and that this may have resulted in some more naturalistic performances and improved dialogue here and there, the idea that the movie was made better exactly in proportion to the degree of his neglect is a hard one to support.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

There's not a day that goes by that I don't think about that weird Medium post about r/PrequelMemes being a den of facism and having a little laugh.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012
I need to get the latter two Rinzler Making Of books one of these days. Are the digital versions any good?

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica

Lol 3 films later and their still used this busted rear end millenium falcon

how the gently caress has this ship lasted this long

good god bringing the drat thing back is the ultimate form of lazy fanservice for the sake of lazy fanservice

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

I love that the trailers were all like "oooooh Sheev laugh, the shadow of Palpy, what could it mean?" And the first six minutes are like, HERE'S DAWN OF THE DEAD EMPEROR - THE DEAD SPEAKS!!

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

lol this is really bad.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Amethyst posted:

It's not about being a jedi it's about being The Chosen One.

Yoda is a support character who exists to help Luke, The Chosen One. Same with obi wan etc.

I didn't like TLJ but the core theme of bringing it back to truly humble origins was something that worked. It's incredibly funny that they chucked it all in the bin

That's fine, and I think the initial choice to make Rey not related to anyone we know was a good one, but people over-argued their case on the matter. The truly radical choice would've been to introduce Rey as someone with unambiguously humble origins from the very beginning.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Can you imagine going to see this movie without reading the spoilers lol. I would probably be very upset. Now I just get to laugh while watching the worst Star Wars lol

I would recommend finding a cam of the movie instead of giving Disney money to see it

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Asgerd posted:

Seriously, am I the only one who remembers that there were hundreds of non-Skywalker jedi? "Democratizing the force" makes absolutely no sense because it was literally always like that. Yoda and Mace Windu didn't have any magical Skywalker heritage. gently caress, even within the sequels Luke had a jedi academy with students that presumably weren't his relatives. This was always one of the most annoying things about the Last Jedi, it thought it was being so smart for solving a problem that didn't actually exist!

I think iit's more the idea that while theoretically anyone could use the force, certain people were stronger because of heritage.

Rey being possibly the strongest force user changes that .

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

Just read that Kylo comic and holy poo poo is it also bad.

Its Coke
Oct 29, 2018

sponges posted:

the prequels are infinitely quotable. Good or bad, Lucas writes memorable dialogue

I can't think of any quotable lines in any of the ST. the closest things are just the constant quips and I can't imagine quoting them without doing the soy face and pantomiming jacking off

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

General Dog posted:

That's fine, and I think the initial choice to make Rey not related to anyone we know was a good one, but people over-argued their case on the matter. The truly radical choice would've been to introduce Rey as someone with unambiguously humble origins from the very beginning.

The moment there was a mystery element added to her background, she was inevitably going to be the descendant of someone important. It might not have even happened in this trilogy, but one day someone would mine that for some cheap drama or fan service.

We have no idea who Finn's parents are and yet no one really cares because it's made very clear from the start that he knows where he comes from and his parents don’t matter. (And yet with the confirmation that he's force sensitive, I'd be willing to bet he turns out to be Mace Windu's grandson within twenty years.)

Its Coke posted:

I can't think of any quotable lines in any of the ST. the closest things are just the constant quips and I can't imagine quoting them without doing the soy face and pantomiming jacking off

I remember “As long as there's light, we have a chance!” Probably only because it's so ridiculously on the nose.

Zoran fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 19, 2019

Psychepath
Apr 30, 2003

That's the laziest use of music that I can possibly imagine. Just throw it in every time the good guys return from any time offscreen, why not.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

I think iit's more the idea that while theoretically anyone could use the force, certain people were stronger because of heritage.

Rey being possibly the strongest force user changes that .

That’s well and good, but it just always seemed to me like people heaping praise on the movie for not doing the hackiest possible thing. Although in retrospect I guess that’s a bigger accomplishment than I thought.

riseofmydick
Dec 18, 2019

by Pragmatica
Can someone please explain to me how the gently caress Palpatine makes any sense in light of the concept that Battlefront 2 pushes and seems to be proper cannon. That he had a bunch of clones ready as a deadman's switch to launch a broadcast, Operation: Cinder which was:

"a plan devised by Emperor Palpatine to ensure that the Empire and its enemies did not outlive him should he ever perish."

Dude wanted to destroy all these planets and the empire and rebellion if he were to die.

This makes no sense with him coming back at all.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

riseofmydick posted:

Can someone please explain to me how the gently caress Palpatine makes any sense in light of the concept that Battlefront 2 pushes and seems to be proper cannon. That he had a bunch of clones ready as a deadman's switch to launch a broadcast, Operation: Cinder which was:

"a plan devised by Emperor Palpatine to ensure that the Empire and its enemies did not outlive him should he ever perish."

Dude wanted to destroy all these planets and the empire and rebellion if he were to die.

Lol what the gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

riseofmydick posted:

THE STORY GROUP hosed US ALL CURSE YOU PABLO