Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

infernal machines posted:

yeah, i wouldn't do that outside of yospos

i wouldn't do it inside yospos either, but at least here it's understood as a joke

i think op has a case of the fyads, where they unironically think the things that everyone else says jokingly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Bobby Digital posted:

just call it a poortastephone

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The MUMPSorceress posted:

lmao a bunch of gbsers in the tech support thread got their feelings hurt because I called anroid a poorphone

you were being an rear end in a top hat there and I’m still unconvinced that you don’t touch yourself while looking at your av

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Jabor posted:

i think op has a case of the fyads, where they unironically think the things that everyone else says jokingly.

you really don't know me at all then

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

iPhone elitism is a very pure form of wealthy american elitism.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
which is strange, because you can buy some very expensive androids, and if nothing else it really shows how little you care about the money because you just spent that much on an actual piece of trash

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
like you guys realize I'm jbt and I just changed my name right? I'm still the same girl who grew up having to shoplift to eat and who got doxxed for being "too sjw". if you think for one second I'm seriously dissing poor people you're off your rocker. I was just using the ancient yospos meme and was surprised to find that the very same gbs that has an fyad shelter thread demurred at that.

whatever I guess that meme is dead now so I'll get over it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't think you were using it seriously, but deriding anything as "for poors" is a bad look imo. Even if it's ironic.

Also you do work for Apple iirc and we had an apple guy come and give a talk about design a while back and he spent like a third of it needlessly dunking on Android (e.g. slide with 1000 different phone models on it: "this is why they can't have a good experience") rather than talking about good design, and made a bunch of elitist comments, so like, idk, corporate culture

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Dec 23, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The MUMPSorceress posted:

like you guys realize I'm jbt and I just changed my name right?

i definitely did not realize that, but also you know better than to use yospos memes outside yospos.

they're not getting mad that you made a poor joke, they're mad that you made a poor joke that they're the butt of

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sagebrush posted:

I don't think you were using it seriously, but deriding anything as "for poors" is a bad look imo. Even if it's ironic.

Also you do work for Apple iirc and we had an apple guy come and give a talk about design a while back and he spent like a third of it needlessly dunking on Android (e.g. slide with 1000 different phone models on it: "this is why they can't have a good experience") and made a bunch of elitist comments so like, idk, corporate culture

gross gently caress that guy. if you remember his name and dept let me know and I'll let communications know we have a dick head giving talks that make us look bad

and I get the criticism. I was just using a meme thoughtlessly and now I'm feeling defensive because I'm being accused of being a sex pervert and fyad doxxer

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
gets a job at faang and goes full class traitor

c-spam would be appalled. APPALLED.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
free advertising-based operating system is for poors?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

it's for everyone, friend.

google will drink your data through a hose, rich or poor, they don't discriminate. did you need a cheap piece of poo poo you can buy from a convenience store and slap a prepaid sim in? do you need a janky-rear end foldable prototype that costs $2k and will poo poo itself within a year? either way, it'll be the worst mobile os experience you can buy, and it's available to all

mystes
May 31, 2006

either way, it'll be the worst mobile os experience you can buy
To be fair, it's also the second best mobile experience you can buy in 2019.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
android is an os designed for poor companies to put on their off the shelf qualcomm socs and sell to unsuspecting consumers of all income levels

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ya its equal opportunity crap op

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

google knows everything about you whether or not you have an anroid

might as well get the cheaper smartphone that does more tbh the same as the expensive one

fake e: fixed lovely posting since android and ios have been roughly the same on different crap hardware for half a decade+ now

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

it'd sure be nice if there was any alternative that wasn't either expensive or abusive to its users, but here we are, at least for now.

kudos to apple for finding the one actually durable compelling advantage for their phones.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

Also you do work for Apple iirc and we had an apple guy come and give a talk about design a while back and he spent like a third of it needlessly dunking on Android (e.g. slide with 1000 different phone models on it: "this is why they can't have a good experience") rather than talking about good design, and made a bunch of elitist comments, so like, idk, corporate culture

he's not wrong though. on one side you have a combination of oems adding all sorts of garbage to stock android and then not updating things after 6-12 months and on the other you have those sub-$100 jankphones intended for the developing world where people have to save up for a $70 purchase. of course, that doesn't stop cheapskates above the equator from buying them and complaining about how bad they are. both of these are a recipe for an overall bad user experience

then again, they seem to still be working on un-loving the garbage userland they built 10+ years ago, so the os isn't entirely blameless. they somehow still have issues with audio latency despite working to fix it since the early days

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

e: tweet deleted but

"Samsung TV uses a "secure number pad", where the numbers are in a random order, and this button randomizes them on demand???"

Pinterest Mom fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Dec 23, 2019

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

The_Franz posted:

they somehow still have issues with audio latency despite working to fix it since the early days

you can’t play audio on linux, everyone knows this

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

The Management posted:

you can’t play audio on linux, everyone knows this

LMFAO Holy poo poo did you come up with that yourself? [wheezing and gasping for breath with laughter] my God can't believe I've been reading yospos for years and this is the first time someone said [pausing to wipe years out of my eyes] l- linux can't play sounds ahahaha

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

"Samsung TV uses a "secure number pad", where the numbers are in a random order, and this button randomizes them on demand???"

maybe they're worried about spyware on the remote??

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Jenny Agutter posted:

LMFAO Holy poo poo did you come up with that yourself? [wheezing and gasping for breath with laughter] my God can't believe I've been reading yospos for years and this is the first time someone said [pausing to wipe years out of my eyes] l- linux can't play sounds ahahaha

I am concerned for your health if anybody ever says buttcoin

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Jenny Agutter posted:

i don't understand why you're laughing. its not a joke. linux cant do sound properly lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jenny Agutter posted:

wait until you hear about the WiFi

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

wait until you hear about the WiFi

how? sound still doesn't work

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Jenny Agutter posted:

linux sucks rear end. gently caress off.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Pinterest Mom posted:

i've seen places that have three-factor door locks that do that, gotta swipe a card, fingerprint, and then key your pin on a scrambled pad

if you're worried about someone seeing where you touched your keyboard after the fact it's good

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

lol owned

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

Jenny Agutter posted:

anroid by sarnsung

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

lol

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I had to install dispera on a Linux once

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cocoa Crispies posted:

i've seen places that have three-factor door locks that do that, gotta swipe a card, fingerprint, and then key your pin on a scrambled pad

if you're worried about someone seeing where you touched your keyboard after the fact it's good

hirsch scramble pads, a solution in search of a problem. the last places i knew that still had them replaced them several years ago though i’m sure there are still some in use.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Midjack posted:

hirsch scramble pads, a solution in search of a problem. the last places i knew that still had them replaced them several years ago though i’m sure there are still some in use.

this was on a tour of an fbi office a decade ago so probably

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
The best part about those scrambling keypads that i've used was that when you press the scramble button it makes a bleepy bloopy sound the whole time you're holding the button down

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the theory is that your code can be easily derived from recording the movements of your hand, even if the keypad is obscured.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

The Management posted:

the theory is that your code can be easily derived from recording the movements of your hand, even if the keypad is obscured.

or doing the trick from entrapment where you look to see which buttons have been repeatedly pressed.

it does what it claims to but the marginal cost isn’t worth it for several reasons. first, if you’re worried about getting your pin shoulder surfed or recorded at distance it’s simple to mount a keypad where you can block it with your body or otherwise make it difficult to observe by a second party, though it’s possible to deduct the key presses from arm motion it’s much harder than when you can see a fingertip push a button. second, if you’re using a multi factor system (card + pin) then you have additional safety though admittedly hardening both factors isn’t bad to do in any case. third, if you have some door that’s super critical yet somehow operates off a single shared pin and is observable from outside your perimeter then it would make some kind of sense to use these though if you have the money to waste on these then you can afford an eac system with individual pins.

so yeah, it does what it says but at ridiculous cost for not much benefit. it was the same era that saw the us gov switch from the excellent sargent & greenleaf mechanical combination locks to the sucktastic kaba-mas electromechanical locks, so they were just on a kick of electronic security devices for their own sake in the 90s.

thanks for coming to my street corner talk, would you like one of my handwritten manifestos?

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Midjack posted:

or doing the trick from entrapment where you look to see which buttons have been repeatedly pressed.

it does what it claims to

not really when entering a credit card number on a computer tho. the string of digits is much longer, entered more infrequently, and most importantly is used to enter a lot more than just that credit card number only. v mossad or not mossad territory where realistically someone that wants card numbers is just gonna buy them in bulk from someone that attached a skimmer to an ATM, not try to deduce them from wear patterns on a phone screen.

poo poo smacks of "someone had an idea", where someone didn't consider the idea's usefulness beyond being able to bring up their keen security insights come performance review time.

edit: gently caress this is a TV, it doesn't even have wear patterns because it's from a remote. mossad not mossad energy intensifies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

CMYK BLYAT! posted:

not really when entering a credit card number on a computer tho. the string of digits is much longer, entered more infrequently, and most importantly is used to enter a lot more than just that credit card number only. v mossad or not mossad territory where realistically someone that wants card numbers is just gonna buy them in bulk from someone that attached a skimmer to an ATM, not try to deduce them from wear patterns on a phone screen.

poo poo smacks of "someone had an idea", where someone didn't consider the idea's usefulness beyond being able to bring up their keen security insights come performance review time.

edit: gently caress this is a TV, it doesn't even have wear patterns because it's from a remote. mossad not mossad energy intensifies.

agreed, i was mostly talking about the scramble pads for access control, not a soft keypad for credit cards.