Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Cojawfee posted:

There are enough of these videos that it has to be practically impossible for an axe throwing establishment to get insurance.

https://www.mnaxe.com/

One of these just opened up by my house, didn't seem like there were any regulatory delays. Insurance just don't care!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

It's all in the reflexes.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

poo poo POST MALONE posted:

An escape room where you have to throw axes to get out.

I actually did an escape room where you had to reveal a code by shooting targets with a BB gun. Unfortunately it was chained down.

Vanadium Dame
May 29, 2002

HELLO I WOULD LIKE TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT MY VERY STRONG OPINIONS

chitoryu12 posted:

I actually did an escape room where you had to reveal a code by shooting targets with a BB gun. Unfortunately it was chained down.

Did you try shooting the chain?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/nedroid/status/1209231981210472448

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
SUGAR MAN!

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Whatever, that’s a half-day’s supply of cocaine for Miami (or a solid morning for Tony Montana).

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

It’s been a while since we checked in with Swift, let’s see how things are going!

(Found on Imgur)

Oh.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/BrMv1oM.gifv

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

zedprime posted:

How do the feathers end up in a vehicle to fall out?

"Stay back" placards are magic legal runes that mean anything you don't have the object in hand, stuck in the windshield, or on dash cam, you're not going to get any compensation from the other vehicle because it was an uncontrollable road pebble and obviously the government's problem.

It might be a hollow victory but a lot of insurance companies cover windshield work with a minimal claim process and reduced or no deductible because getting cause is getting blood from a stone but they absolutely do not want you using a compromised windshield.

Hell yeah. The only good thing about my insurance is they offer free windscreen replacement and free tow truck.
Costs me €480 per year.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Using gasoline to deforest my neighborhood

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Ah, so less “can’t” and more “won’t.”

As for rules of evidence, the guy’s uploading these videos himself. They’re totally admissible as evidence. 804(b)(3), they’re totally statements against his own interest. That’s just a dodge on the part of someone at the FAA. Disappointing.

Thanks. I knew there were exceptions in the rules of evidence large enough to drive a (Swift) truck through and that that probably fell under one of them.

It’s weird for the FAA to falsely hide behind the rules of evidence. Maybe they’re envisioning someone other than the pilot as the videographer, but so what? Find who the videographer is and subpoena them. Isn’t safety investigation the FAA’s job?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Platystemon posted:

Thanks. I knew there were exceptions in the rules of evidence large enough to drive a (Swift) truck through and that that probably fell under one of them.

It’s weird for the FAA to falsely hide behind the rules of evidence. Maybe they’re envisioning someone other than the pilot as the videographer, but so what? Find who the videographer is and subpoena them. Isn’t safety investigation the FAA’s job?

They probably care more about the big fish that can pay big fines rather than some guy in a small plane who can only pay a small fine and maybe lose his license.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Platystemon posted:

I know nothing of the specifics, so this is just the basest of conjecture, but the whole thing smells a lot to me of a under-funded, over-committed agency trying to put resources where they'll do the best. This guy is probably just going to kill himself and whoever is dumb enough to get in an airplane with him. Meanwhile, if they investigate it that's investigators who are chasing after him rather than looking for the hosed poo poo that could drop an airliner. There are plenty of dumb little regional airlines who catch poo poo from the FAA for unsafe bullshit. Google around about Spirit Airlines for a good example. The last biggie I heard of is they had engine parts rain down on part of Detroit. Not everything they have to deal with is that extreme, but there's a lot of ongoing investigations of dumb poo poo.

Kind of like how the IRS doesn't even bother investigating tax fraud if it's below a certain threshold.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Video evidence is weird. You almost always either need an admission "yeah that's me in the video", a witness "yes, I was there and I did a formal, court-approved identification procedure and that's him in the video" or absolutely picture-perfect quality where a jury is sure that's the defendant in the video and other independent evidence that the act took place.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Cyrano4747 posted:

I know nothing of the specifics, so this is just the basest of conjecture, but the whole thing smells a lot to me of a under-funded, over-committed agency trying to put resources where they'll do the best. This guy is probably just going to kill himself and whoever is dumb enough to get in an airplane with him. Meanwhile, if they investigate it that's investigators who are chasing after him rather than looking for the hosed poo poo that could drop an airliner. There are plenty of dumb little regional airlines who catch poo poo from the FAA for unsafe bullshit. Google around about Spirit Airlines for a good example. The last biggie I heard of is they had engine parts rain down on part of Detroit. Not everything they have to deal with is that extreme, but there's a lot of ongoing investigations of dumb poo poo.

Kind of like how the IRS doesn't even bother investigating tax fraud if it's below a certain threshold.

Yeah, and if he's got a semi-competent attorney, he can drag out the process for a looong time and presumably file a poo poo-ton of appeals after they take away his license, so they choose to go after bigger targets with their limited budget, which will save more lives. It's hosed up, but it makes sense.

EvilJoven
Mar 18, 2005

NOBODY,IN THE HISTORY OF EVER, HAS ASKED OR CARED WHAT CANADA THINKS. YOU ARE NOT A COUNTRY. YOUR MONEY HAS THE QUEEN OF ENGLAND ON IT. IF YOU DIG AROUND IN YOUR BACKYARD, NATIVE SKELETONS WOULD EXPLODE OUT OF YOUR LAWN LIKE THE END OF POLTERGEIST. CANADA IS SO POLITE, EH?
Fun Shoe

Cyrano4747 posted:

Lucky. Around here the CRA will put the screws to bit players to the point of subpoenaing Home Depot for their list of customers with corporate accounts to go after guys doing jobs for cash under the table on weekends, but if you're a gigantic corporation literally building torture prisons in Libya the Prime Minister himself will try to cover for you.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

ekuNNN posted:

From that document, in one of many injury reports:

It already happened before a couple of times and they covered it up and continued operating the ride, and they still didn't get convicted for anything apparently.
That's some nice functioning legal system you guys have over there :stonk:

Mic Dicta did an episode about the waterslide, it's pretty well done.
https://www.listennotes.com/podcasts/mic-dicta/episode-11-no-such-things-as-Cm2BUw9tGPz/

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

how else are you gonna make 100 of em an hour?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Platystemon posted:

It might have something to do with this:

https://www.flyingmag.com/technique/tip-week/faa-enforcement-and-youtube/

quote:

First, FAA inspectors are being reminded they have "no authority to direct or suggest" that a flying video you posted on the Internet be removed, according to the new policy. It's your First Amendment right to upload any video you want. Safety inspectors are also being reminded by top agency brass that a video alone is "ordinarily not sufficient evidence" to determine whether any FARs have been broken. A video purporting to show something legally questionable must also be "authenticated" by the FAA inspector before any enforcement action is taken.

The FAA crafted the policy after one of its safety inspectors sent a threatening letter to the owner of a remote-control quadracopter who filmed beachgoers from on high in Florida a few months back. There was nothing particularly dangerous about the flight or the filming, but because the UAV owner posted the video to YouTube, and because YouTube is a for-profit website that shows ads and gives uploaders a few pennies or dollars for their trouble, the flight had crossed the line into a "commercial operation," this inspector warned.

This is the policy itself:

https://c-6rtwjumjzx7877x24bbbx2ekf...ua=1&i10c.dv=11

And what is says regarding Youtube stuff is:

quote:

In all cases, the FAA must have acceptable evidence in support of all alleged facts
in order to take legal enforcement action. Inspectors are reminded that:

Electronic media posted on the Internet is only one form of evidence which may be used
to support an enforcement action and it must be authenticated;

Electronic media posted on the Internet is ordinarily not sufficient evidence alone to
determine that an operation is not in compliance with 14 CFR; however, electronic media
may serve as evidence of possible violations and may be retained for future enforcement
action; and

Inspectors have no authority to direct or suggest that electronic media posted on the
Internet must be removed.

So it sounds like one overzealous inspector wrote an official warning he shouldn't have written, and that led to this official reminder of how things are supposed to work, and then that somehow filtered down through the ranks and metastasized to "Youtube videos aren't admissible evidence."

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Sorry, but during his aerobatic maneuvers, his government issued photo ID that was taped in view of the camera fell down, so we can't verify it was him for that portion of the video.

Pepperoneedy
Apr 27, 2007

Rockin' it

Who needs lockout/tagout for high-voltage electrical work when you have piece of cardboard taped over switch?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the hard cases learn why this is dumb the first time they try it on a 3-way setup.

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

I hate using the bandsaw at my work, our shop tech is lazy so the band is always loose and liable to twist and jump or snap without hesitation

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Smiling Jack posted:

Video evidence is weird. You almost always either need an admission "yeah that's me in the video", a witness "yes, I was there and I did a formal, court-approved identification procedure and that's him in the video" or absolutely picture-perfect quality where a jury is sure that's the defendant in the video and other independent evidence that the act took place.

Considering deepfakes, that’s probably a good thing.

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.

That deer looks like its one piece and whatever he just cut he throws off camera so im confused what hes cutting out

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
What he's cutting out is the deer

Also Jesus Christ no wonder that gif is taking so long to load it's 150 MB

Link gifv versions instead for the love of god
https://i.imgur.com/c27NprK.gifv

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Pepperoneedy posted:

Who needs lockout/tagout for high-voltage electrical work when you have piece of cardboard taped over switch?

It never ceases to give me a giggle that lockout-tagout locks are the weakest loving locks you can buy, with bodies made of plastic, but they're super challenging to pick. You can just bash them off with a hammer, but if you try and pick them you have to be a moderately skilled lock-picker with a bunch of specialized tools and dozens of hours of experience.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MisterOblivious posted:

lockout-tagout locks are the weakest loving locks you can buy

This does not at all match my experience

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MisterOblivious posted:

It never ceases to give me a giggle that lockout-tagout locks are the weakest loving locks you can buy, with bodies made of plastic, but they're super challenging to pick. You can just bash them off with a hammer, but if you try and pick them you have to be a moderately skilled lock-picker with a bunch of specialized tools and dozens of hours of experience.

Huh. So they are.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4XGY0_cwcM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RfNXrvXmUc

I understand why they’re physically weak, but I didn’t know they were relatively difficult to pick.

Someone in the comments on the second video suggests that the cores have the security they do to 1) allow more possible keyings for large workplaces and 2) prevent the wrong key from being close enough to accidentally open the lock.

I was going to leave it at that, but then I saw this comment from a CHUD:

quote:

The security pins are there to prevent claims that a LOTO lock was picked open either during or after an accident, which is a claim that could be made to shift fault for an accident from a negligent technician to the company. Likewise most LOTO locks use ball-bearing lockup to avoid claims of shimming the lock.

It's all about avoiding lawsuits and false claims.

gently caress that noise about “false” claims. There are absolutely bosses out there who would risk lives by picking locks and bypassing the procedures that have been written in blood.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Listen, I know things are tough as a new window, but why do you keep bugging me about this? It was just a dumb accident- if he really thought it would be that dangerous for us to turn the like back on, then why did he use a PLASTIC lock? You're lucky we're not charging you for the 4 hours of production time we lost

grillster
Dec 25, 2004

:chaostrump:

Cyrano4747 posted:

Google around about Spirit Airlines for a good example. The last biggie I heard of is they had engine parts rain down on part of Detroit. Not everything they have to deal with is that extreme, but there's a lot of ongoing investigations of dumb poo poo.

This poo poo is no joke. Wrote them off completely a couple years ago after I got on a route for the second time (years apart) where the gear shook violently on rotation. I don't want to make assertions about their maintenance but I'll draw conclusions from my experience in comfort.

mds2
Apr 8, 2004

Australia: 131114
Canada: 18662773553
Germany: 08001810771
India: 8888817666
Japan: 810352869090
Russia: 0078202577577
UK: 08457909090
US: 1-800-273-8255

For those interested this guy's name is Alex Snodgrass. He has a ton of content on youtube related to bandsaws.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I assume this is a dumb question, but if you were doing that sort of thing on a regular basis for any appreciable amount of time, why wouldn't you buy some light chainmail gloves? Sooner or later your concentration is going to slip, and so will your fingers.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does a bandsaw even give a poo poo about chainmail?

eta:

quote:

The meat processing industry has been utilising a range of gloves for personal protection for many years. Several reports have examined the suitability of the gloves specifically highlighting some of the negative elements of the chain mail version1. Traditionally the gloves have been used during the boning process and have been very effective in protecting the users across a range of processes. With the continuing modernisation of factories an increase in the number of high powered band saws has resulted, and as such an examination of the suitability of this glove style for this specific processing role (band saw operations) is required.

Opinions on the suitability of existing chain mail gloves for band saw operation vary greatly from state to state, and in fact from factory to factory. Although the recognition of the risks associated with band saw use is generally universal2, the acceptance of the chain mail gloves as a suitable form of protection is not. For example; NSW Work Cover meat processing guidelines do not encourage the use of the gloves3; however in in the processing plant visited during the project orientation it is mandatory to wear the glove during band saw operations. Acknowledging that the majority of personal opinions is heavily polarised towards the negative, suggesting the wearing of a glove of any type is definitely not suitable and inherently unsafe, operators in the visited processing plant are persisting with the glove with seemingly positive results. Interviews conducted during the project orientation suggest injury rates are continuing to improve. The positive nature of these results however is complicated by the fact that gloves are not the only form of personal protection and factories have continually improved OH&S procedures in order to reduce the risks of injury to band saw operators4. The improvements have been aimed at addressing factors such as operator fatigue, inexperience, and low concentration levels which also contribute to the likelihood of an operator receiving a band saw blade injury. Processing plants now consider safety to have many levels but ultimately in the event of an accident where the wearer is using a chain mail glove, management at the visited plant view the stainless steel chain mail glove as a valuable last line of defence.

So the jury is out when it comes to using gloves with butchers’ bandsaws.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Dec 24, 2019

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Didn’t give a poo poo about my mom’s fingernail, that’s for drat sure :v:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Didn’t give a poo poo about my mom’s fingernail, that’s for drat sure :v:

My question would be whether or not the gloves give enough resistance to let you jerk back in time.

Losing a fingernail sucks. Losing a finger sucks more.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Didn’t even take the whole thing, just a middle section from the tip to the nail bed. The docs took the rest, the (now) 2 separate nail beds on either side :haw:

My dad was opening a bag of deer corn with a knife and cut through the bag, and split his own middle finger open down to the bone. I guess it’s something I’ve got to look forward to :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

French Canadian
Feb 23, 2004

Fluffy cat sensory experience
I'm gonna defend the boomer here and say that the scroll saw (basically what that is) is totally safe to use like that for small woodworking projects. It's got such a tiny blade that yeah you'd nick your finger or something but it's not gonna grab and pull your whole body in. He's not cutting huge aluminum stock on a 1" blade with gnashy teeth.