Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mexican Radio
Jan 5, 2007

mombo with your jombo?
I’m confident my team would be good if they didn’t have so many bad players and coaches

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What variables made the players suddenly better at football despite the roster not changing?

Getting to play the Panthers twice, the Jags, the niners in a trap game, but most of all signing Younghoe

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

The Bengals need 2 or 3 good players to win the Super Bowl after coach gets more exp

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
The Falcons literally went from no pass rush to sacking the poo poo out of Brees and beating the Saints in N.O. the week after Quinn abdicated, but only an idiot would think those two are related

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

GD_American posted:

The Falcons literally went from no pass rush to sacking the poo poo out of Brees and beating the Saints in N.O. the week after Quinn abdicated, but only an idiot would think those two are related

The Falcons went 5 games without a sack. FIVE!

They had 7 sacks in their first 8 games. They've had 20 since.

Must be a coincidence.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
If you really think the coaching change was the main reason the Falcons turned around so dramatically in the 2nd half you probably should keep Quinn - he adjusted and now the team is capable of 11 or 12 wins.

Say they fired him midseason and the replacement coach went 6-2 (assuming they beat the Bucs, that’s certainly no gimme) to close it out, including wins over the Niners and Saints on the road, you probably hire that guy...

But maybe they weren’t as bad as 1-7 and aren’t as good as 6-2 and you should fire him because he’s the coach of a wildly inconsistent team that goes on streaks, as inconsistent teams are wont to do

Merry Xmas goons!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

YOLOsubmarine posted:

What variables made the players suddenly better at football despite the roster not changing?

Playing the browns.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

wyoak posted:

If you really think the coaching change was the main reason the Falcons turned around so dramatically in the 2nd half you probably should keep Quinn - he adjusted and now the team is capable of 11 or 12 wins.

Say they fired him midseason and the replacement coach went 6-2 (assuming they beat the Bucs, that’s certainly no gimme) to close it out, including wins over the Niners and Saints on the road, you probably hire that guy...

But maybe they weren’t as bad as 1-7 and aren’t as good as 6-2 and you should fire him because he’s the coach of a wildly inconsistent team that goes on streaks, as inconsistent teams are wont to do

Merry Xmas goons!

It is possible to believe that both results are on the extreme end of possibilities and that we are right about the root cause.

Quinn was a fraud. He's NFL Gene Chizik.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GD_American posted:

He's NFL Gene Chizik.

Unrelated to this thread but huh, didn't realize he's been completely out of coaching for the last 3 years. Guy is only 57, and although I agree he's a fraud you'd think he'd be able to get a job somewhere doing something if he wanted to.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Elephanthead posted:

Playing the browns.

They didnt.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Grittybeard posted:

Unrelated to this thread but huh, didn't realize he's been completely out of coaching for the last 3 years. Guy is only 57, and although I agree he's a fraud you'd think he'd be able to get a job somewhere doing something if he wanted to.

IIRC, Chizik is very happy being an occasional talking head and running some fast food shops

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Chizik would have to do the Terry Bowden MAC Redemption Tour (TM) to climb the ladder again, and I think he was self-aware enough to realize he wouldn't be able to climb that ladder again. He was 5-19 at Iowa State (lol Charles Barkley) before getting his first lightning strike in an Auburn job offer on the strength of the ring he got at Texas as a DC, and his second in hiring Gus Malzahn.

I can testify to personal painful loving experience how useless a metric "DC on a national title team" is to a coach's value. You know how? Remember who Chizik's DC was their title year with Cam? Say his name. Say his loving name.

Maxwells Demon
Jan 15, 2007

GD_American posted:

Chizik would have to do the Terry Bowden MAC Redemption Tour (TM) to climb the ladder again, and I think he was self-aware enough to realize he wouldn't be able to climb that ladder again. He was 5-19 at Iowa State (lol Charles Barkley) before getting his first lightning strike in an Auburn job offer on the strength of the ring he got at Texas as a DC, and his second in hiring Gus Malzahn.

I can testify to personal painful loving experience how useless a metric "DC on a national title team" is to a coach's value. You know how? Remember who Chizik's DC was their title year with Cam? Say his name. Say his loving name.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

why did you post a still of Steve Martin from "The Jerk"

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
Let's see if Freddie can learn from his mistakes this year

https://twitter.com/KeithBritton86/status/1210288981679710208

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

wyoak posted:

OBJ and Baker have regressed

Baker was never that great in the first place.

His accuracy has always been poo poo. He had trouble with some reads and check downs.

His stats were great last year because receivers got open and caught balls they shouldn't have. His line could also block just long enough.

The one positive is that he's got a slightly better idea of when to throw the ball away.

Anyway, Kitchens is a garbage coach. The team has fractured talent and the coach can't scrape together a game plan or make adjustments.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

DeimosRising posted:

Wow a single example where you’ve assigned responsibility for the result to something because you can’t imagine any other variables that’s a strong argument you’ve convinced me

See Also Jeff Fischer -> Sean McVay Rams.

See Leslie Frazier Vikings Defense Rankings -> Mike Zimmer Defense Rankings

See Jim Caldwell -> Matt Patrcia Lions.

See Mike McCarthy -> Matt LaFleur

etc etc etc.

And these are the ones that I thought up in about 45 seconds.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

OxySnake posted:

See Also Jeff Fischer -> Sean McVay Rams.

See Leslie Frazier Vikings Defense Rankings -> Mike Zimmer Defense Rankings

See Jim Caldwell -> Matt Patrcia Lions.

etc etc etc.

And these are the ones that I thought up in about 45 seconds.

Ok you've got 5 examples that's still not statistically significant I remain unconvinced :colbert:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I will think coaches have no effect on teams until Belicheck wins a Super Bowl for the Cincinnati Bengals.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

OxySnake posted:

Hell, even Mike Sherman -> Mike McCarthy works too. Favre had completely checked out by the end of the Sherman years. Within two seasons Fat Mike had Favre playing at almost MVP level and the Packers were one overtime interception away from the Super Bowl in '07.

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Ches Neckbeard posted:

Ok you've got 5 examples that's still not statistically significant I remain unconvinced :colbert:

I actually looked up Atlanta before Quinn gave up defense duties and their points given up. It is quite the read.

ATL Schedule through 1st 8 weeks:

Lost to MIN by 16. Down 21-0 at halftime.
Beat PHI by 4. Up 6-10 at halftime. Credit to Quinn.
Lost to IND by 3. Down 20-3 at halftime.
Lost to TEN by 14. Down 24-7 at halftime.
Lost to HOU by 21. Actually up 17-16 at halftime! (gave up 37 in the 2nd half.)
Lost to ARI by 1! Down 20-10 at halftime. Down 27-10 after 1 drive in the 3rd corner.
Lost to LAR by 27. Down 13-3 at halftime. (Gave up 14 points in the 3rd quarter to go down 27-3 going into 4th quarter)
Lost to SEA by 7. Down 24-0 at halftime.

So in the 8 games Dan Quinn was calling defensive plays, his defense averaged 18.5 points given up by half.

For context the woeful Bears are averaging giving up 18.6 points PER GAME through 15 games of their season.

Dan Quinn suuuuuucks.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

The Bears are fifth in the league in scoring defense. That’s a weird choice

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

purkey posted:

The Bears are fifth in the league in scoring defense. That’s a weird choice

They were the closest to the 18.5 that the Falcons gave up in the 1st half.

Also with the Bears struggling offense, it helps to stop any "The Falcons offense was so bad it ruined their defense and points allowed. So its a moot point."

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Mega64 posted:

I will think coaches have no effect on teams until Belicheck wins a Super Bowl for the Cincinnati Bengals.

Force belichick to coach the worst-ranked team for the next ten years in a row

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Extreme apologies for missing my regular updates -- the last time I promised to update, the flu knocked me on my rear end for a solid week, and then work and the holidays sucked up whatever free time I had left. But thanks to everyone for keeping this thread alive in my absence, and as a late Christmas present, here's my final rankings for the 2019 season.

I'll be honest: Just reading the tea leaves so far, I don't think we're seeing many firings this year, at least compared to recent years when 6-8 jobs routinely opened up. Vegas seems to agree with me -- the over/under for coaching changes is set at 4.5, and with two jobs already open that doesn't leave much wiggle room. It seems like a lot of teams are either staying patient, stubbornly clinging to sunk costs, or not inspired by the batch of up-and-coming candidates. That might actually be good news for the likes of Mike McCarthy and Ron Rivera, who are itching to get back in the game and will have a bidding war from teams who want a "proven winner" rather than taking a chance on a young coordinator or college hotshot.

WEEK 17 RANKINGS

COOL

Bill Belichick, New England Patriots
Sean McDermott, Buffalo Bills
Brian Flores, Miami Dolphins
Adam Gase, New York Jets
Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh Steelers
John Harbaugh Baltimore Ravens
Zac Taylor, Cincinnati Bengals
Bill O'Brien, Houston Texans
Frank Reich, Indianapolis Colts
Mike Vrabel, Tennessee Titans
Andy Reid, Kansas City Chiefs
Anthony Lynn, Los Angeles Chargers
Vic Fangio, Denver Broncos
Jon Gruden, Oakland Raiders
Doug Pederson, Philadelphia Eagles
Matt LaFleur, Green Bay Packers
Mike Zimmer, Minnesota Vikings
Matt Nagy, Chicago Bears
Sean Payton, New Orleans Saints
Bruce Arians, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Pete Carroll, Seattle Seahawks
Kyle Shanahan, San Francisco 49ers
Sean McVay, Los Angeles Rams
Kliff Kingsbury, Arizona Cardinals

We're late enough into the season to retire the "first-year" section for 2019 -- with some notable exceptions, I feel pretty comfortable in those guys coming back next year. Fangio might have been warmer a month ago when the Flacco experiment predictably imploded, but Drew Lock's surprisingly decent performances have given him a longer leash. The Chargers have fallen apart and Rivers might be washed, but it's Lynn's first losing season in three years and I still believe Ross when he says he's not in immediate danger. 2020 might be a different story if they don't turn it around, though. Good luck to the Jets for giving Gase his 83rd second chance.

MILD

Matt Patricia, Detroit Lions -- The Ford family has already confirmed that Patricia will be back for 2020, so consider this a preemptive ranking next year. Even after losing Stafford, Kerryon Johnson and like half the defense to injury, you only deserve so much mulligan for losing eight straight games and delivering the Lions' worst record since the post-Millen rebuilding years. Mike Tomlin has been playing musical chairs with lovely backup QBs all year and his team is still in the playoff hunt, so what is Patricia's excuse? I don't know, this whole tenure has been a giant wet fart and the Fords might regret not pulling the plug now.

MODERATE

Freddie Kitchens, Cleveland Browns -- This thread has spent so much time talking about Kitchens that I almost feel like I have nothing new to add. Bottom line is, he's slated to have a worse winning record than the Hue Jackson/Gregg Williams team from last year, which is absolutely unacceptable with the talent they added. The offseason hype train was always ridiculous and out of control, but at the very least we expected them to be playing meaningful football in Week 17. Instead, they're following a proud Browns tradition -- finishing a season with way more questions than answers.
Doug Marrone, Jacksonville Jaguars -- We shouldn't be surprised that the Jags are bad. We knew deep down that they didn't really fix their QB position, and have tanked their salary cap with the Nick Foles boondoggle. We probably also knew that Tom Coughlin would wear out his welcome and shown the door because his poo poo doesn't fly in 2019. But will the Jags look at the last two years of collapse and humiliation, and decide to run it back with the same coach and GM that got them into this mess? Now that will be surprising to me.
Pat Shurmur, New York Giants -- Depending on next Sunday's result, Shurmur will head into Year 3 with a 9-23 or 10-22 record as Giants coach. I wouldn't be shocked if he gets one more year to work with Daniel Jones, but there was plenty of smoke earlier in the season that Shurmur was losing the locker room, and I'm not convinced that token wins over the Dolphins and Washington have done enough to quiet the discord.
Dan Quinn, Atlanta Falcons -- Quinn's firing seemed like a sure thing two months ago, but the Falcons' second-half surge has cast just a little bit of doubt. We all know Arthur Blank loves the guy, and he specifically refused to fire him over the bye week because he wanted to see it play out. Has Quinn shifting around some positional coach chairs and remembering that Julio Jones is one of the best WRs ever done enough to save his job? My gut still says he's gone, but I'm way less confident in this than I used to be.

SPICY HOT

Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys -- Important reminder: Garrett won't get fired because his contract is expiring, so unless the Cowboys sneak into the playoffs and steal a win from the Seahawks or 49ers, we're heading full steam into the "mutual parting of ways." Either way, this season has been Peak Garrett in a nutshell. The Cowboys started 3-0 and looked like Super Bowl contenders, with Dak Prescott playing at an MVP level. Of course, once they started playing good teams, Garrett folded like a cheap tent and repeated all of his notorious meme-worthy habits, giving away easy games and letting the MASH-unit Eagles control their destiny for the division crown. When you look back at the number of All-Pro and borderline HOF talents Garrett has coached over this decade, it's really stunning how little he has done with so much. We'll know for certain he has dirt on Jerry if he gets another contract.

YOU'RE FIRED

Jay Gruden, Washington (interim coach: Bill Callahan)
Ron Rivera, Carolina Panthers (interim coach: Perry Fewell

Benne fucked around with this message at 10:44 on Dec 27, 2019

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
https://twitter.com/AtlantaFalcons/status/1210555453106741249

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
What an impressive streak of rear end-saving by Quinn.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

Ok yeah I'm retroactively good with firing Quinn midseason. I'm convinced

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Thank goodness Dan Quinn was able to save his job after he jettisoned the real problem, defensive coordinator Dan Quinn.

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
It looks like it's going to be a pretty light year for coaching changes barring retirements.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Ironically a bunch of teams keeping their coaches means some other teams should move on.

There's typically only a few good candidates and this gives you way higher odds of landing one of the good ones if you don't have to worry about the team with Matt Ryan and Julio Jones stealing them from you.

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Ahahahahahahahaaha

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Least available cap room in the league for (at best) back-to-back 7-9s. Let's go for three!

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

lmao

just lmao

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

It sure is going to be hilarious to see the Falcons' brand new butt-hole stadium be empty during games next season.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
So this is how the Ryan/Jones era ends. With a wet fart of a coach toiling away at the bottom of the division.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Theres no coming back from 28-3, they need a new GM, coach , qb , wr, anyone in the org for that loss needs to go

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Y’all need to quit mocking this decision. I approve

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rod Hoofhearted
Jun 18, 2000

I am a ghost

mastershakeman posted:

Theres no coming back from 28-3, they need a new GM, coach , qb , wr, anyone in the org for that loss needs to go

I agree 100% with this. The stench of a failure like that sticks with a franchise until it is completely exorcised from the bottom to the top.

Every player who was there, including Julio Jones and Matt what-his-face (Blank?) should be traded or released or whatever. Anyone who was any part of the coaching staff for that should be released, and then Arthur Blank should sell the team.