Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Ehud posted:

Anyone doing seasonal hardcore that wants to give me a quick rush to 70? I got the Diablo bug today and I'm slogging my way through. Currently level 27 :chloe:

lol I got to 70, got two parts of my Haedrig’s set and died to explosions pushing T2 like an idiot.

So if anyone out there can do a quick rush, I’m still looking. Maybe I’ll do a Demon Hunter this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

FFT posted:

Sounds like you're not killing things quickly enough. Which set are you running?

It's the roland gift set with golden flense (so basically the sweep build). My guess is that I need something along the lines of unity, I tried aquila cuirass power but sweep is always keeping my wrath below the minimum needed to keep the buff up

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It's the roland gift set with golden flense (so basically the sweep build). My guess is that I need something along the lines of unity, I tried aquila cuirass power but sweep is always keeping my wrath below the minimum needed to keep the buff up

I’m in the same boat (same build) and have basically the same question. I feel like I’m playing Donkey Kong and picked up a hammer. I chase everyone around and murder them instantly, but I also just randomly explode when something looks at me the wrong way. Deaths aren’t common, but they’re fast and unpredictable. I’m in Torment 11-12, GR 50-something. I wonder if this is the overall picture of late game play.

One thing I can say is that iron skin with the flash rune and the attack speed law with the resource cost reduction rune really help. Provoke as an “oh poo poo I blew all my wrath button” is also good. Somewhat higher difficulties also don’t seem to make things much harder, because taking more hits to kill enemies means faster cooldowns on iron skin and empowering the law.

I have no idea who thought things like %20,000 damage to certain skills as set or legendary bonuses was a good idea. While leveling I cared about the best way to manage resources while using some timed nukes like light of heaven to deal extra damage that also let me kite. My resource generators could also deal damage, and my choice of resource generator was an important choice that shaped minute to minute game play. I could have just as easily chosen to focus on buffs and debuffs instead of nukes and it also would have been valid. Then once I hit level 70 all that went out the window and I’m spamming one single skill while locked into a few no-brainer buffs to support it. It’s incredibly stupid and also should be obviously avoidable. Maybe I just need to do only legacy of dreams builds.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It didn’t always work this way, it’s just that the game has power crept its way up.

The style of play that your talking about can and does dowel, but only up to certain difficulties.

I just don’t know if there is a way to balance and accommodate every possible build at the highest difficulty, at some point you’ll need to refine your build to only focus on the most effective way to deal damage without taking damage.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I have no idea who thought things like %20,000 damage to certain skills as set or legendary bonuses was a good idea.

That is how they dug themselves out of the itemization hole from vanilla. Over time the inflation has just made the numbers DBZ levels.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Barb gift set has the same effect, everything starts popping as soon as you touch it but white trash archers can be a problem. Getting the build into a stable place seems to be as much about stacking damage decrease bonuses as anything.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

I'd resort to try to re-adjust for defense, like pull out your red gems and socket with diamonds, poo poo like that.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Does the build use captain crimson's? The cdr->damage reduction and huge bonus to Goku form uptime help.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Dameius posted:

That is how they dug themselves out of the itemization hole from vanilla. Over time the inflation has just made the numbers DBZ levels.

What was the itemization hole from vanilla? D3 seems like such a weird mix of interesting and creative solutions to problems with D2 combined with a lot of clearly avoidable stupid mistakes.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Heithinn Grasida posted:

What was the itemization hole from vanilla? D3 seems like such a weird mix of interesting and creative solutions to problems with D2 combined with a lot of clearly avoidable stupid mistakes.

In Vanilla items would roll with 100% random stats instead of leaning towards items your class would want and those items having your classes mainstat 99% of the time. So you’d be on your barb and monk boots with Intelligence and poison resist would drop and that would be the best item you saw for days.

It was meant to encourage trading but functionally meant that all loot was bad.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Not to mention how many items that rolled would be only useful for lower level characters. So you had to mill around each difficulty farming until you were strong enough to start the next difficulty. Diablo 2 is the same way, but it's also the progenitor of that design and gets a pass on it. That and Diablo 2 had pretty fun and varied itemization up to a point.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Suburban Dad posted:

I finished the journey, but life is too crazy busy right now for me to help. :smith:

Edit: in for diablo budz though SW-3528-9774-7197

Vic posted:

I'm just starting the season on switch so I'm not really ready to power level anything, but we can be diablo buds SW-0424-0008-8915
I just friended you noth.

my friend code is SW-5002-8050-9746, please friend me and post your Switch codes so we can get some groups going. I'm gonna level my softcore seasonal tonight at work (if anyone is bored on Christmas Eve and wants to toss me a seasonal Powerlevel id be super grateful)

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 24, 2019

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I can't get over how bad Nintendo is at online. Who the hell looked at the friend codes and thought, "yeah that's a good idea."

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Some companies do online well, Nintendont.

For my switch brethren, I play like the first week or two of the season and do the journey and then am out, mostly.

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I like to trot these out once in a while for a stroll down terrible memory lane. :allears:

Pretty sure this is the first set item I ever found. Also pretty sure it's the only one I ever found back in vanilla D3 before they started to unfuck loot.

My favourite will always be this one, though.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I have no idea who thought things like %20,000 damage to certain skills as set or legendary bonuses was a good idea.
For the most part, this is an artifact of how Blizzard almost always buffs sets and legendary items rather than nerfing them. If set A has a 10 GR higher ceiling than set B, Blizzard usually makes the numbers on set B bigger (or adds another support legendary, but I think they're approaching the limit of how much they can do that).

If you look at early seasons of RoS, the numbers aren't nearly as ludicrous (and Haedrig's Gift didn't exist until a couple years later, so there was a longer interim period where you were trying to scrounge together random legendaries).

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

20,000 million bazillion damage is extremely good, and the only thing the game needs are more items that increase lesser-used skills by 20,000 million bazillion damage also.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Cheers for the replies pals, I started to focus a lot more on defensive stats and it has improved the situation significantly. All-res gems in slots, defensive perks and runes, paragon points going to life-on-hit and all-res, that sort of thing. I found one unity and hoping for another so I can get the 50% damage reduction buff from the follower.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

MMAgCh posted:

I like to trot these out once in a while for a stroll down terrible memory lane. :allears:

Pretty sure this is the first set item I ever found. Also pretty sure it's the only one I ever found back in vanilla D3 before they started to unfuck loot.

My favourite will always be this one, though.

I wish I had screen shots of some of the trash I sold for hundreds on dollars on the RMAH. just absolute dire poo poo.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

texaholic posted:

Immortal King is super easy, I used the guide below and got it done on my first try with plenty of time to spare

https://www.icy-veins.com/d3/barbarian-immortal-king-set-dungeon-guide

Kyrosiris posted:

You don't even need to switch off your whirlwind swords/cube items, either - just use the IK set bonus and spin.

Thanks, this worked easily

Post-season journey endgame mostly seems to consist around grinding slightly higher max greater rifts to enhance ancient items a little harder and eke out some more paragon points? While working to get everything to ancient and then rolling for incremental improvements on gear or primals?

Is there guidance to how much time should be spent on running bounties vs nephalem rifts vs greater rifts?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
As far as I can tell, you basically only run bounties when you need too. Typically players will grind out 10/20/50 GR keys and then run a crap ton of GRs in a row for gem levels and Paragon XP

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Bust Rodd posted:

As far as I can tell, you basically only run bounties when you need too. Typically players will grind out 10/20/50 GR keys and then run a crap ton of GRs in a row for gem levels and Paragon XP

I guess what does 'need' mean there? I have the abilities extracted I wanted, is re-rerolling legendaries a worthwhile use of time vs just running more rifts.

Is it also time to start thinking about forking torment 16 and greater rift builds?

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Is it also time to start thinking about forking torment 16 and greater rift builds?

Certainly once you're pushing past GR 75 it's optimal to have a build for speedrunning T16, whatever gets you through it fastest. T16 and, say, GR 100 are usually going to have different playstyles.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

FFT posted:

Certainly once you're pushing past GR 75 it's optimal to have a build for speedrunning T16, whatever gets you through it fastest. T16 and, say, GR 100 are usually going to have different playstyles.

I have 2 different speedrun builds - one uses boon of the hoarder + wreath of lightning to get gold for empowering GRs and the other uses just wreath for when I run GRs.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
I've given away a few sets of bounties in the past few days, trying to get myself on santa's good boy list. Today he gave me a primal band of might.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
I have the following builds in the armory:

Push GR build
Farm GR build
Speed Bounty Build
Gold Build
DB Build
zDPS Heal Build
zDPS Shrine Build
zDPS Push Build

You'll figure out what you need by playing in groups quicker, but generally something to quickly do each of the following:

Push GR
Farm GR
Farm Nephs
Bounties

And if you care, maximize gold for rings and cows and stuff not in GRs.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Okey Dokey, I’ve regeared my Hardcore Barb. She has 3/6 of Wastes, I have Ambo’s Pride in my cube, and I’m absolutely mulching T4-T5.

After I get my full Wastes set, what else am I hunting for? What are the best gems for speed farming? I’ve never played a WW barb before and feel like this is the easiest build in the game to play with only my 2 pc bonus, it seems like it’ll become even crazier with more pieces.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Bust Rodd posted:

Okey Dokey, I’ve regeared my Hardcore Barb. She has 3/6 of Wastes, I have Ambo’s Pride in my cube, and I’m absolutely mulching T4-T5.

After I get my full Wastes set, what else am I hunting for? What are the best gems for speed farming? I’ve never played a WW barb before and feel like this is the easiest build in the game to play with only my 2 pc bonus, it seems like it’ll become even crazier with more pieces.

Lamentation belt + Ambo's is what really makes the build go, so look up one of those

I like having the Mantle of Channeling in the cube.

Band of Might is good for defense; Zodiac Ring for big CDR.

Bul Kathos weapon set is good for chill relaxed fun times; Istvan weapon set is good for pushing.

Flavor of Time is a good neck for the build as well, and the Mortick's brace wrists are also a good addition.

For the last ring, COE is good for serious content, while Boon+Avarice is nice for farming.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Ring of Royal Grandeur is great for jumping a bit ahead on set bonuses when you're still working on getting the pieces, of course.

Relatively high chance of dropping from act one bounty chests

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

RoRG is back in style now that the new Capt. Crimson's set is so good.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Oh definitely, it's a wonderful combo.

I wish having Messerschmidt's Reaver in the cube weapon slot was more viable, but basically every build needs some other weapon there. Just WW/TR through trash and everything recharges instantly.

stringless fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Dec 26, 2019

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

exquisite tea posted:

RoRG is back in style now that the new Capt. Crimson's set is so good.

I tried to like it, but I just couldn't :(

Definitely worth a try, though!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Zarin posted:

I tried to like it, but I just couldn't :(

Definitely worth a try, though!

If nothing else, it's a great stepping-stone for anyone that isn't fully geared for an approach that can't fit it.

Like sure the bonuses are boring and universal, but they're great

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Thanks gang! Typically on PC I’d just look up that leaderboards but on Switch the top 3 HC Barbs are all wearing what appears to be hacked items? They’ve got no jewelry, just a text box with 3 sockets equipped in each jewelry slot and the top 150
barbarian has full primals and each primal has maximum augments... but they have 9 Legendary gems equipped. PC was very judicious about every kind of hacking except for bits, so I’ve never encountered anything like this before.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Console it's harder to do much about since characters aren't stored on blizzard's servers vs. locally. And not sure they care about console as much in regards to hacking when they can't even keep PC "clean."

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I've been messing around with an LoD meteors build that's extremely tanky. Managed to clear a GR110 on seasons once I got all the pieces up and running, could probably rank into the 120s with the right rolls and augments. Why am I doing this? Why not! I'll see how far I can go.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

exquisite tea posted:

I've been messing around with an LoD meteors build that's extremely tanky. Managed to clear a GR110 on seasons once I got all the pieces up and running, could probably rank into the 120s with the right rolls and augments. Why am I doing this? Why not! I'll see how far I can go.

GR109 is about where I stopped for this season. At this point, unless I start rolling some amazing gear that's identical-but-better for my Monk, my performance in rifts is often down to the mob makeup and map layout, which gets tedious. So i think I'm done for the season. I love my Monk who I named "Wheels" and this is the first time I've completed a season journey.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Capt crimsons with UE is fantastic. Gives enough CDR for perma vengeance and then huge dmg boost from the reduced resource cost that UE has

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU
A pedantic question, if I may: is Oculus Zone/DoT Damage static or dynamic?

That is to say, if I cast a DoT (say, Rend) then wander into an Oculus Zone, will it turbocharge the DoT damage for the duration I remain in the zone?

OR, does the DoT damage remain static, and the only time I would get DoT benefit from standing in an Oculus Zone be if I actually happened to be standing in the zone at the moment of DoT application?

I'm trying to decide if it's worth my time to lose contact with the pack of mobs for a split second (if the Oculus Zone is close enough) to dip my toes into the zone for the 1-2 seconds that Rend finishes doing damage; weaving back in for another set of applications, then dipping back out for a second while the damage applies. It FEELS like it's worth it, but I can't tell if it's confirmation bias or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Does anyone know if the AP dump effect for Star Pact is affected by runes and/or items that dynamically alter the resource cost, i.e. Diamond Skin - Prism, Pride's Fall, etc.?