Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

wait so the next yakuza game is a full fledged party based jrpg? i might need to finally get into that series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

babypolis posted:

wait so the next yakuza game is a full fledged party based jrpg? i might need to finally get into that series

yeah, yakuza 6 was the end of the story for the protag the series has had this entire time, so they wanted to go with a different gameplay concept since they were switching protagonists

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Dehry posted:

Just as a heads up:

The Atelier Dusk DX collection had a day 1 patch for Switch in Japan. It was to add Chinese translation, but was quickly followed up with a second patch to resolve more issues. Escha&Logy and Shallie had around an 800mb patch. Ayesha was only around 300mb. I get the feeling the Asia version with English is going to end up with a similar patch since it's coming from Koei Tecmo Taiwan.

Any reports on performance before and/or after the patches? It'd be nice if I could get them on switch, but I was expecting the possibility of ports of the older games still being iffy.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
How do you guys feel RPGs faired this decade compared to previous ones?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care

Tae posted:

I will be the hot take person and say p5 is fun, and will get Royal when it comes out in asia (cause the dub murdered everytime they say Ryuji's name)

I too, like persona 5 and will be getting royal as well

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

punk rebel ecks posted:

the best ones are ports of games from the previous decade

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Samuringa posted:

Bravely Default was this decade :colbert:

(Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light came out in Japan in 2009 but didn't hit the US until 2010 but thankfully the very specific flaw in my argument does work)

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Samuringa posted:

A star ocean stan I see

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

Probably better than the last decade, Skyrim, Witcher 3, Obsidian's throwback games, Disco Elysium, Divinity OS 1 and 2. No big tentpole JRPGs like last decade though but still a lot of solid stuff in that space. Unless you count FromSoft's output as JRPGs because everything they put out this decade was fantastic.

Senator Drinksalot fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 26, 2019

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ffxv and kh3 came out, as opposed to not

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Etrian Odyssey put out five games, and the two I played were outstanding. One Way Heroics was the JRPG-Roguelike I never knew I wanted. Countless JRPGs got official PC ports.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

punk rebel ecks posted:

A bunch of old JRPGs got fan translated and Moon got ported so everything’s coming up roses.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

The 2000's had the ps2 library but was also incredibly hurt by the ps3/360 era which killed a lot of momentum in the transition to HD.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Booky posted:

the only good persona things are: the persona 1 manga, persona 2, and some songs from the later games :colbert:

anyhow, ff7 is a pretty fun time even with some of the questionable minigames (marching, fort condor)

There's a Persona 1 manga?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
My Name is MCJohn 117 Chief this is my sixth guide for Game FAQS. As you can see I get my game name from HALO since I am a fan of role playing games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
this decade had drakengard 3 and both niers, tales of graces f, tales of berseria, trails of cold steel and probably a bunch of other stuff i'm forgetting that i really really liked. i think the main reason there are less big new "tentpole" rpgs these days is because people have much less limited exposure to the genre now that more games are getting localized so we have more to look forward to in a single year than the biggest of the big, and the general environment of games is shifting a bit, so the circumstances that could lead to something like a ff7 or a chrono trigger are kinda rare these days, much more games focusing on filling niches while games that go for a more general appeal tend to get crowded out by other genres in the west in terms of mainstream popularity

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Andrast posted:

There's a Persona 1 manga?

yeah! :) iirc it's been scanlated for a few years now (fun fact, the same mangaka also did majin tensei 1's manga); there's other manga adaptations from the megaten series too but i think only a few have gotten scanlated overall??

Kagaya Homoraisan
Aug 28, 2019

You say, run away
Instead, you get scared
For the way that I feel
Drops out into all this disorder

The Colonel posted:

My Name is MCJohn 117 Chief this is my sixth guide for Game FAQS. As you can see I get my game name from HALO since I am a fan of role playing games.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i like the maken x manga done by the author of dorohedoro that's basically just dorohedoro action scenes like a couple years before they started dorohedoro

you can tell when dorohedoro started because it's when the maken x manga abruptly ends in the lamest way possible lol

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Don't disregard the strategy turn-based games, we're finally getting officially translated SRWs

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

The Colonel posted:

this decade had drakengard 3 and both niers, tales of graces f, tales of berseria, trails of cold steel and probably a bunch of other stuff i'm forgetting that i really really liked. i think the main reason there are less big new "tentpole" rpgs these days is because people have much less limited exposure to the genre now that more games are getting localized so we have more to look forward to in a single year than the biggest of the big, and the general environment of games is shifting a bit, so the circumstances that could lead to something like a ff7 or a chrono trigger are kinda rare these days, much more games focusing on filling niches while games that go for a more general appeal tend to get crowded out by other genres in the west in terms of mainstream popularity

Forgot about Cold Steel the first one is great and I think I'm about halfway through the second.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Trying to judge games on a decade by decade level is kind of pointless. There are trends I guess that games kind of follow to connect them but even then no trend is objectively good and is going to appeal to everyone.

So what trends you like will shape what decade you prefer.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

The Colonel posted:

i like the maken x manga done by the author of dorohedoro that's basically just dorohedoro action scenes like a couple years before they started dorohedoro

you can tell when dorohedoro started because it's when the maken x manga abruptly ends in the lamest way possible lol

lol, how did it end? :v: (tbh, i always forget maken x...)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Booky posted:

lol, how did it end? :v: (tbh, i always forget maken x...)

a vortex portal appears in front of the main character and her boyfriend and he says "lets go fight together" and then they walk into the vortex

that's it

i think there might've been like a brief flash-forward after that, at most, lol

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Motto posted:

Any reports on performance before and/or after the patches? It'd be nice if I could get them on switch, but I was expecting the possibility of ports of the older games still being iffy.

I've really only seen one English speaker get the Japanese version and it was digital so as soon as they went to unlock the game at midnight the update download started.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

Personally I really enjoyed this decade and found it far better than the previous.

Standout RPGs to me were: The Witcher 3, Xenoblade Chronicles 1 and 2, Persona 5, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Fallout: New Vegas, and Dark Souls.

Personally I wasn't too fond of the 2000s, outside of Dragon Quest VIII, Troika titles, and Megaten there wasn't too much I cared for.

I've never played Baldurs Gate though.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The Colonel posted:

This decade also had YIIK too though, so I think it's a wash. We'll try to improve next decade.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

YIIKII0 is going to blow your motherfrickin' doors off, buddy

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
i loving love how YIIK was such a turd it inspired multiple derisive smilies on these forums

Million Ghosts
Aug 11, 2011

spooooooky
which Battle Network was just entirely a tournament? kid me loved those games and even then i knew that was some lazy bullshit

the problem with comparing decades is a lot of games from last decade did not age well at all despite being great when they came out. the amount of QoL improvements we get should almost automatically put any decade ahead of the last.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Million Ghosts posted:

which Battle Network was just entirely a tournament? kid me loved those games and even then i knew that was some lazy bullshit

the problem with comparing decades is a lot of games from last decade did not age well at all despite being great when they came out. the amount of QoL improvements we get should almost automatically put any decade ahead of the last.

That was 4.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Million Ghosts posted:

bn4, it was built around randomly picking which opponents you'd get with unique chapters to encourage replaying, with content exclusive to beating the game three times

it mostly just meant lots of boring bullshit and broken game balance because enemies scale higher in difficulty but chips don't scale up in power on the first run

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I just remembered that I forgot to mention LISA! Sich a great game.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I enjoyed P5 despite all its flaws but had basically no desire to replay it or get Royal.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
We all know the true game of the decade is Hyperdimension Neptunia

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I enjoyed P5 despite all its flaws but had basically no desire to replay it or get Royal.
This is basically where I am with it. I feel like everyone calling it straight up BAD is a bit of an exaggeration, but it's definitely a fatiguing game and I can't imagine giving it a replay.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I beat the game at 70 hours and was disappointed it ended, and now Strikers is an actual sequel so there's multiple end points now

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

I think Persona 5 is one of the greatest RPGs of all-time and I think I'd never want to replay it. The game just isn't long it is also so exhausting.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The sheer length of it and its story really soured me on it by the end. I really can't imagine wanting to buy an "ultimate" version that makes it longer. It's a shame because the soundtrack was amazing and it oozed style.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

I remember reading someone's impressions of P5 Royal where they were giving examples of small new scenes that were added (ones not related to The New Content), and it seemed like a real "this is the opposite direction you should be moving" situation.